Idology: Who Are the New Season 11 Front-Runners? And Who Should've Stayed in Vegas?

If American Idol‘s Season 11 Vegas Week was a slot machine, then the Idoloonie nation pulled the lever and came up with a trio of sevens during the show’s Las Vegas callbacks telecast last week. The jackpot? Producers treated us to more than 50 contestants singing — and a few of ’em showed enough talent that it’s not inconceivable to think they might come close to “a moment like this” by the end of May.
On this week’s Idology, Season 6 standout Melinda Doolittle and I talk about the pros and cons of the season’s latest crop of buzz-worthy contestants. Is Jen Hirsh thisclose to flawlessness, or is she a potential Idol scream queen? Could Joshua Ledet be an R&B dream, or are Lusky Stank spores taking root in his vocal cords, ready to bloom in full-blown disease? And what to make of Deandre Brackensick and His Hypnotic Golden Mane?
Melinda and I also discuss the casual dismissal of Imani “fainting girl” Handy, the return of a chilling J.Lo code word, the unjust ouster of the mighty Candice Glover, and the handful of Top 42 contestants we feel should’ve been shipped directly to the Idol scrap heap — including the Season 11 equivalent of a fresh-scrubbed baby seal.
So press play below on the new Idology, then hit the comments with your thoughts on this week’s discussion!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Darrien says:

I don’t even care about AI, but I look forward to Michael and Melinda throwing shade on it every week.

• Tim says:

Amen to that.
      Just hoping for one good singer to cheer for. Haven’t found him/her yet, but still optimistic.

• forrest says:

Love, love, love this weekly commentary that really enhances a really tired show. Think Mystery Science theater. Steven Tyler brings nothing but ‘beautiful’ to his judging. Randy is just bad. Until a standout performance happens, Idology is the redeeming factor for even watching A.I. imho.

• jennrae says:

I agree, I would watch this every day, with M and M talking about pretty much anything.

2. Chrissy says:

I love watching you two! And even though I love Eben, I do think he needs some more time to grow. But lord knows how much longer the show will be on for. I can’t wait to see who they put through — just wish we could get some new judges. =(

• Can I just say that Eben staying in there is bothering me. I haven’t liked him since audition rounds. I don’t get their love for the kid. He’s voice is very average. Same with Richie ‘The Cowboy’ and Brielle among a few others. I don’t know what the judges are seeing that we just aren’t. I don’t get it.

My two favorites right now are Jen Hirsch and Lauren Gray. Lauren just kills it every time we see her. Of course we really only got to see her this week because she cried, and we know Idol loves when people cry. But her voice is just beautiful. David Leathers Jr has grown on me, I didn’t really enjoy him at first, but now I’m starting to like him. There are a lot of good voices out there, I hope that the correct ones make the Top 24 this season.

• Ben says:

With Brielle, I’m sure it is more about her less than stellar personality. In the Andrews sister trio, she blew her two teammates out of the water. I think her voice is pretty good. Shame she is so irritating. Eben and Richie, though, are definitely below par and I hope they miss the top 24.

• Snsetblaze says:

Everyone has a different opinion about Brielle. I personally thought Skyler blew her out of the water and Brielle was off-key on several notes. But you are right about the personality part. She may make it through as cannon fodder. I can’t imagine her making it very far because of what the powers that be have shown on TV so far with her and her mom (and part of that will probably be her mother’s fault). Its one thing if a contestant acts out a bit (i.e. James Durbin did last year during Hollywood week and he made it to third), its another if its a parent slamming another contestant.

• Margaret says:

Lauren Grey all the way!

• AI Fading Fan says:

They are on for ratings gold, not because of talent. Eben is this season’s tween crush. Cowboy and Brielle bring the drama and fan hate. It seems that there has to be at least one character everyone loves to hate.
        I’m with Michael and Melinda, I can’t believe they cut Candace and kept the Elvis gang. Candace’s group took an old song and made it new. The Elvi were karaoke at best. Boy did I miss Simon after watching their performance.

• Me says:

Eben really was a waste of space there from the beginning. They should have told him to come back in 2 or 3 years because his voice really wasn’t up to par.

3. Ben says:

Idology is great, but I miss last years league table. Commit to rankings! This last weeks worth of idol finally made me feel like season 11 might be able to bring it, after being a bit sceptical up until that point.

4. Christine says:

Johnny Keyser was robbed. He is phenomenal and Idk what the judges are thinking about this cowboy. He has got to go go go .

• Brigette says:

Yeah, Johnny Keyser leaving was just bizarre. I wanted to see the performance that wasn’t deemed good enough!

• Lo says:

All of the Vegas performances are on the American Idol website, including Johnny’s. His solo was really weak. But I agree – they definitely should’ve shown it on TV if they committed so much airtime to him already.

• Carol says:

Is there some trick to getting the American Idol website (and all the videos) to load properly? Every time I try (even after refreshing or rebooting) it loads with “error on page” and I can’t view the videos at all.

• S says:

Agreed! I’m waiting on some sort of explanation for why he was cut

• Tim says:

Let’s examine the clues:
        Keeps on singing after girl faints.
        Lounges around the pool while others are working with their coaches.
        Self-obsessed with potential problem attitude, and not really that talented.

• tarc says:

Nah. It was a toss up whether to keep on going or not, and he watched over, caught, and laid the girl down. If he didn;t care, he’d have just ignored her. Also, you have no idea of the pool issue was an edit from another time or day (or location), or if that was a lunch break or just some needed downtime. Frankly, I’d say the judges are nuts for letting that one go. I could eaily cut 10 of the 42 to bring him back.

• raftrap says:

That was exactly why he was cut, he keeps singing when someone faints, maybe everyone was fainting every second of Hollywood week and they became desensitized by the whole thing, but that’s spot-on why I would explain the cut, he keeps on singing when people die around him. Brave, one could say, but kinda weird.

• Moryssa says:

See, when I watched that performance where Imani fainted, I never once blamed Johnny for continuing. They always say “The show must go on…” no matter what happens, and you could tell by the tone of his voice that he was like “Oh, crap! What do we do?!” and he looked over at the other girl in their group like “Uh…. now what?!”
          So I definitely don’t fault him for trying to continue their performance while the professionals took care of Imani.
          I thought he had a pretty great voice, personally.

• My Alter Ego says:

Yes, but it can also be viewed as “all about Johnny.” And, in combination with the pool episode, whether or not taken out of context, and a “meh” Vegas performance, and, well, you begin to see certain patterns that even J-Lo and Randy could recognize (as dense as they are)…

• jennrae says:

But it’s such a tenuous situation, it’s hard to know what you’re going to get cut for. The judges criteria for cuts can be so arbitrary, who’s to say he wouldn’t have gotten cut for stopping? What’s right during Hollywood Week, and auditions in general, has little to do with what’s right in real life.

• tarc says:

Total agreement.

• Max says:

I agree 1000%! Johnny Keyser was one who stood out for me from his first audition. Great voice, great stage presence and great look! Obnoxious Cowboy is obnoxious! I suppose every season has to have that one contestant that makes you sit on the edge of your seat until they are cut. Personally, I am weary of Idol. It jumped the shark after Season 9.

5. Josie says:

Does anyone agree with me when I say that Hollie Cavanagh should be heard! I liked her last year and I’m really interested to see how her voice has improved.

6. Jake says:

Colton Dixon all the way — he should have made the top 24 last year. Maybe he needs to change his haircut but very talented

• tarc says:

Colton Dixon is probably one of the Top 5 of the remaining 42. He does his own thing and does it very, very well.

• My Alter Ego says:

You are probably correct that Colton will be one of the top 5. But you are incorrect if you think that it’s about talent. Yes, he may do his own thing. But “his own thing” isn’t very good.

• darcy's evil twin says:

When Colton tried out I went, “Wow, why didn’t I care for this guy last year?”
            Then I listened to him a few more times. Now I remember why I didn’t care for him last year. And his hair looks ridiculous. He looks like one of the Village People.

• Kelly says:

They haven’t showed enough of Colton for you to make that judgement. He’s really good. Hair has got to go. I also loved that girl who was complaining that they weren’t looking for artists. She shouldn’t have been cut.

7. Brigette says:

Agree with nearly EVERYTHING Micheal and Melinda said. Oh man. Candance Glover and her group were AMAZING and it was so wrong that she got cut. She should have gotten froggy Cowboy’s spot. A little surprised you guys didn’t mention the newly improved MIT group, which I thought were one of the standouts. But I agree– I’m starting to get excited about some of these folks!

• PGV says:

I think Candice was cut because they had too many Females… heard Randy say that… we have too many girls going through. That being said, she was one of the Better females I heard, so still don’t understand why they cut her.
      This is the one thing I Hate about Idol… the fact they think there needs to be an even number of males and females in the Top 24. It’s Ridiculous! If there are more females who are better singers, then put more females in the Top 24!!! The Heck with the Guys! and vice versa…

• crayz4idol says:

Totally agree! That’s been bugging me for years! Wouldn’t that be considered discrimination? It should be about the singing and the talent.

• Snsetblaze says:

Out of all the people that had been cut in the second cut after day 2, Candace was the biggest mistake. Normally, I don’t care for her type of voice/singing but she was good.

8. Thewinner says:

Baylie Brown will win American Idol, hands down. The powers that be of Idol are solidly in her corner and she has been lighting up the various social media sites in garnering support.

• Annie says:

God I hope not

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree with Annie. A pretty face and a serviceable singing voice is NO subsitute for pure talent.

• My Alter Ego says:

OMG — indeed! Baylie’s a beautiful young woman, but her voice is, at best, “serviceable.” (If I want to hear a “serviceable voice,” I’ll sing to myself.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I feel the same way! and you get a “Made Me Laugh” :-)

• darcy's evil twin says:

Speaking of Baylie Brown, I went to the Idol web site and watched the full video of “Be My Baby”. Janelle Arthur sounded 100% better than Baylie Brown, had more stage presence, and could dance/move far better than the other three. Baylie Brown reminded me of Christie Brinkley in that Billy Joel “Uptown Girl” video, dancing like a stick. I realize this is a singing competition but why was Janelle sent home? AGAIN? Anyone have any insight? Anyone…anyone…Buehler…Buehler….?

• My Alter Ego says:

D.E.T. – I know who Bailey and Chelsea are/were in this performance. If Janelle Arthur was the “bouffant” blonde who “sounded 100% better than Baylie Brown, had more stage presence, and could dance/move far better than the other three,” then you are right: Why, on earth would she be sent home?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yes, Janelle Arthur is the bouffant blonde in the video. She has tried out in previous seasons – I know she made it to group rounds two seasons ago (Season 9). She was eliminated just before Lily Scott, Kaetlyn Epperle, and that Alex kid (can’t recall his name). She played the guitar. Go back to Mr. Slezak’s column about the best group performances last week and he mentions her there under “blonde chicks with guitars”.
            I have NO idea why she was sent home. I thought someone else here might have some insight. Today is a holiday so I have nothing better with which to concern myself, LOL.

• darcy's evil twin says:

She’s also mentioned as part of the number 10 group in the Top Ten group performances – Janelle sang with Casey James.

• My Alter Ego says:

D.E.T., Janelle was definitely the best of the “Be My Baby” quartet. Your question is hugely valid — I can’t begin to answer it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I guess it’s an “X-File”. ;-)
            We can put this in the same category with Lauren Alaina’s group from last season. She was in a group with three other women and they sang (I think) “Some Kind of Wonderful”. The other three women were just as good as Lauren and there was one tall brunette that was VERY good – so good my husband looked up from his newspaper when she started singing, which is the high-water mark at this house. But Lauren was the only one that went through – with no explanation.

• Joy says:

@d.e.t., I think you’re mixing up Janelles. Janelle Wheeler was the one from season 9. She made it to the semifinals, so she wouldn’t have been eligible to enter again.

• darcy's evil twin says:

OOPSIE. My mistake – thanks for clarifying! But the rest of my comments stand – Janelle Arthur had the best vocals, dancing, and stage presence in that group. don’t get it.

• Ben says:

You know, I’d like to be able to say this can’t happen, becuase I don’t think her voice is even close to the best. But idol winners are not usually about the best voice, but the most saleable package, and so I agree that Baylie has a shot. But I don’t think its likely.

• darcy's evil twin says:

She’ll be the Sanjaya of this season.

• Ben says:

I think that award may go to eben, if he gets in the top 24.

• Snsetblaze says:

I agree with Eben or David Leathers being Sanjaya (or perhaps David Archuleta) if they get into the top 24 as young tweens girls will vote like crazy for them. Baylie is the wrong sex for that. She might be the Katie Stevens though.

• Tahoe Mike says:

Baylie is so much better than Sanjaya, that is just not fair. I’d rather see her compared to one of the many girls who looked better than they sang. I actually like Baylie so far, though her Vegas performance wasn’t her best. Even comparing her to Bikini girl would be kinder than Sanjaya, that’s just mean. Sanjaya comparisons are a special level of hell, and should be reserved for the likes of last seasons Stefanjaya.

• crayz4idol says:

Sounds like they’re giving her the Lauren Alaina treatment – tons of face time each week, heaps of praise (regardless of how she actually sings), etc. Even so, Lauren didn’t win.

9. Edward says:

I agreed with Melinda it was disturbing when Johnny Keyser just went about singing when one of his teammates collapsed.It was insensitive which was weird because he was the one who caught the fall of the girl then just laid her to the ground.

• tarc says:

I think it was a misguided ‘the show must go on’ moment. And it’s not like the guy was a medical professional.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yea, I agree – I’m not seeing that as the reason Johnny Keyser went home. These are young kids in a very different, stressful situation (hot tub/swimming pool scenes notwithstanding). Ghandi probably would have gone on singing when he was 20 years old if one of his group members had fainted.
        I kind of agree with whomever it was that posted their opinion that Johnny Keyser would be next year’s “comeback kid” – “He got sent home last year but this year Johnny Keyser’s knocking everyone dead with his talent”.

10. Tim says:

Is it just my computer, or is the audio way out of sync?

11. justin says:

can you please talk about the oddness of the jared/jarreth drummer guy. he gives me the creepers.

12. justin says:

and the hilariousity of heejun han and the vocal coach.

13. karenb says:

“fueled by Kris Allen song links?” No comprende :)

• Teresa says:

Kris Allen is coming out with a second album soon, although there is no drop date yet. A few of his new songs have surfaced, including Visions of Love, which already has a dance remix. :)
      If you’re interested in the new songs, he did a show at the Mint recently. It’s probably up on YouTube.

• karenb says:

Thanks for the scoop, Teresa. I did go check out the song on YouTube. Awesome! Looking very forward to his new album…loved the last one.

14. megs says:

Ok I think it’s time to go to the three video format. There were so many contestants/moments that needed to be discussed! Schyler Dixon getting cut, Johnny keyser getting dismissed so casually, reed grimms whole drama with his solo, then busting out the drum solo and randy dropping a Casey reference?!
    I know you can’t talk about everything, but with those two jam-packed shows, I think more than ten minutes is warranted.

• Lunakit says:

Um, YESSSSSS!!! Thank you, Megs!
      10 minutes in and M&M were just getting the conversation started. 3 vids minimum, please. Idology is over edited IMO. I know you two talked more than that! Posting on YouTube is not expensive, y’know!
      I would like to appeal to Michael Ausiello with his little lobotomized head at the top of each page to dedicate a bit more petty cash and pixels to this project. It is arguably the best thing on this site and we want more!

• Judy Vee says:

Yes, please sir – may I have some more?!!!

• Suzanne says:

YES! Please, in the name of all that is good, holy and Dickensian, give us more! I looked back into last year’s idoloonies, and we already had 2-3 videos by the end of hollywood week. I’m now starting to worry that we’ll only get one video for the entire season!
          To echo Judy Vee and Charles Dickens: Please, sir, may we have some more?

• My Alter Ego says:

Mr. Slezak, obviously we love the Idoloonies/Idology recaps. So to add to Judy Vee, Suzanne and in honor of the bicentennial of Dicken’s birthday, I respectfully ask (well, maybe it’s begging), “please, sir, may we have some more?”

• Snsetblaze says:

I agree. More Idolooonies. And I love Melinda as the cohost. I’d also add that you need to start one for The Voice.

• MichelleR says:

Yes! I always count the videos ahead of time, and the more there are, the happier I am. I get one at the beginning, but it’s time for more. (Please.)

• Tahoe Mike says:

Yes, please sir we want some more!
      I guess it’s time to start my annual campaign to bring in Kristen Baldwin, and Kristen With Glasses for a guest spot. Whatever mountains need moving, or bridges need (re)building; please do it. I love your take on these videos, but they just aren’t the same as they were in the old Idolatry days.

• scrutinizer says:

i must admit, kristen’s sarcastic and dry sense of humor was hysterically funny! but i’m still loving melinda and michael together….a great fit and very musically minded approach to critiquing :)

15. Evan says:

Eben is clearly there to stay. Kevin Covais 2.0. Sigh…
    Joshua Ledet– he’s not Lusky Stank in terms of the squeal potential, but he has **got** to learn to use dynamics. “LOUD!” is nice sometimes, but it loses its emotional power when you don’t have anything soft with which to compare it.

16. bg233 says:

Can’t get behind Phillip Phillips. He sounds like the muppet Dr. Teeth.

• tarc says:

Top 5 for Phillip Phillips – hands down ridiculously good.

• Ty says:

I hope to god you’re wrong. He has one of the weakest voices in the competition, he growls songs instead of being a pure and clean “singer” like Johnny because he simply does not have the voice.
        He is the nikki mckibben of this season if he makes it into the top 12.

• My Alter Ego says:

Unfortunately, tarc is probably correct in his top 5 prediction, but it’s not because P.P. is “hands down ridiculously good.” If anything, the guy is musically ridiculous — and ridiculously bad.
          If the past few year’s AI winners have taught you nothing else, can you not see that the “cute WGWG” always wins.
          However,Phillip Phillips is in desperate need of the kind of vocal coaching that AI provides, and, perhaps, he will benefit from it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Phillip Phillips is making me miss Lee Dewyze.

• My Alter Ego says:

“Phillip Phillips is making me miss Lee Dewyze.”
            And that, unfortunately, says it all.
            Thank you, D.E.T.

• darcy's evil twin says:

We may not agree on everything – but we can agree on that!

• Ben says:

Frankly, I can live with a top 5 for Phillip Phillips. I don’t think he is as good or as bad as different people seem to think. I don’t think he would be the best winner though, and I think its a reasonable possibility.

• darcy's evil twin says:

If Lee Dewyze can beat Crystal Bowersox ANYTHING is possible on this nutty program.
            I suppose if they actually chose the 12 or 13 best vocalists that auditioned, the program would be boring – and this message board would not be nearly as interesting!

17. PattiAnn says:

Can’t stand the way the drummer dude swivels his hips around while he sings, not to mention his facial expressions. He’s just really creepy.

• tarc says:

Yeah, I think somebody needs to tell Reed to not dance.

• darcy's evil twin says:

WTH, I just remembered something – when Reed Grimm sang “Georgia on My Mind” the subtitle said his occupation was…nanny? Seriously? He could barely take care of HIMSELF, what with calling his mommy on the cell phone and all the drama – isn’t he 26 or 27? He’s not 16. And someone is letting that guy take care of their kids?
      Lord have mercy on our souls and please give him a singing career so he won’t be taking care of small children. I wouldn’t let him water my plants!

• crayz4idol says:

LOL! I was just going to post the same thing, about him being a nanny. Yikes! I wouldn’t want him anywhere near my kids!

18. brandon says:

PLEASE make these episodes longer like Idoloonies last year! I need more of you guys every week.

• Ty says:

I think we all want this. Especially for a week like this, 10 minutes is nowhere near enough time to cover what went on. You know they talked for more than 10 minutes too, but they might be artifically restricting what is shown to 10 minutes in order to hold to arbitrary time standard.
      Please Michael, bring over a bit of your idolatry preferences and take as long as you need, Your anoop video was like 5 videos long, and less so for less important people. Same goes with these recaps. It’s OK to make them longer, if the cutting in of the visuals is taking too long, skip that for more talk time, you don’t need to create visuals for the entire discussion. It’s the discussion that is the highlight!

19. Pat says:

What’s with the 10 minute videos every week Slezak?
    Especially this week. I though this episode needed 15-18 minutes. I’m sure you and Melinda could talk for another 5 minutes about more of the groups that were featured, the brutal last minute eliminations, the awesomeness of Ariel Sprague, the awfulness of Creighton Fraker, and the complete mediocreness of Reed Grimm. Plus there’s singers that have been featured that you’ve yet to bring into the discussion, like Aaron Marcellus.

20. Pat says:

Oh and mark my words: Joshua Ledet will be Jacob Lusk 2.0 in less than a month.

• Ty says:

Not likely, he is not as over the top as Jacob. The well of devastation Jacob dug with his assault on decent singing last year cannot be easily matched by mortal men.

Made Me Laugh. :-)
        I liked Jacob’s “God Bless the Child”, but like Groucho Marx said, “I like my cigar – but I take it out of my mouth once in a while”. I think Joshua Ledet is good but he needs to be careful or he’ll be another Jacob Lusk.

• My Alter Ego says:

Maybe — but at this time last year, we already knew about Jacob Lusk’s vocal excesses. Not so with Joshua — it’s speculation on our part that he’s Jacob Lusk 2.0.
          I’ve read comments about Joshua’s “diction.” (A rather old-fashioned term.) What I hear is that he learned from his choral instruction regarding enunciation and breath support.
          So far, I like what I hear from Joshua.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Honestly, I was not so crazy about his “Jar of Hearts” because I thought his version was “too much” for the simplicity of the song (disclaimer – I’m a music fan, not a music expert, with just enough knowledge to be dangerous).
            HOWEVAH…the next time I heard him sing, and I forget what it was, I liked him much better! I DO think he’s a good vocalist and I hope he continues to do well.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Okay, I remember the performance of Joshua Ledet’s I liked – it was the “Hit ‘Em Up Style” group performance.

• Me says:

No, he’s too nice to be Jacob Lusk.

21. Alex F. says:

Yes! I definitely agree these should be longer… especially in a week like this where there was so much going on.

22. Jaime says:

Still sad about Aubree Dieckmeyer’s elimination!

23. darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, where to start? Well, I’ll start with this – Mr. Slezak and Melinda are fabulous, but “Idology” needs more time, particularly on a week last like last week. I got home and was able to watch last Thursday’s program early this morning and wow, it was everything everyone promised. The hubby didn’t tamper with the DVR so it won’t be necessary for Idoloonie Nation to pass a hat to pay for my divorce attorney.

I totally, TOTALLY enjoyed Thursday’s show but Mr. Slezak – I really enjoyed Jen Hirsch, Nick Boddington, Aaron Marcellus, and Creighton Fraker’s “Sealed With A Kiss”. I thought it was far better than “just okay”. It was an interesting arrangement with a very understated Manhattan Transfer sound – they sounded like a GROUP, as opposed to the Jailhouse Rock Quadruplets that just sounded like four frat boys singing together during a Greek Week talent show. Sadly, though, just because Nick Boddington looked like “The Stork” from the movie “Animal House” he was sent packing. So not fair.

So, *Baby*, I’m sorry to say this really ISN’T a singing competition (fooled you!) and we’re back to the “We’re Casting a Reality Show Rather Than Picking the Best Vocalists and There’s Just Not Room for All of You on Gilligan’s Island” schtick. Candace Glover and Jairon Jackson should NOT have been sent home, while Baylie Brown should have been shown the door but given a job as a cosmetics model for Cover Girl. I do not understand the love for Phillip Phillips, who should have been sent home and Jairon Jackson should have stayed – by the way, I loved their group’s simple “I Only Have Eyes for You”. Except for Phillips. Even Heejun was tolerable.

I keep waiting for Jermaine Jones to break out with “Old Man River”.

Right now my faves are Lauren Gray, Jen Hirsch, Elise Testone, and I liked Jessica Sanchez. But we’ll see. Deandre Brackensick is like a cross between Milli Vanilli and Art Garfunkel – and I do like his falsetto. I also liked Necco Starr (sp?) – did he get to stay? And Skylar Laine sounds a bit like Reba McEntire – if she can bring the house down with “Fancy” I’ll love her!

24. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Let’s see, if I had to pick the Top 13 right now (and I’m sure it will be 13 again), I would want, based on everything I’ve heard: Elise, Erika, Hallie, Jessica, Jen, Skylar, Colton, Deandre, Heejun, Jeremy, Joshua, Phillip, and either Creighton or Reed (we don’t need both, no matter who else gets in). Unfortunately, I doubt that it’s going to play out like this.
    Shannon has no distinct personality. Baylie was a little off last time I heard her. Haley is too bland of a blond and pales next to the others. Adam looks and sounds too much like Danny Gokey, and I’d rather not listen to all the bloggers complain about bad memories. Aaron doesn’t excite or intrigue me the way a reality contestant should. Eben is cute in a teddy bear sort of way, but he doesn’t quite seem ready and mature enough for this business. I don’t know enough about Chase or Chelsea to attach myself to either of them. And there’s no way I want Brielle in the finals if her obnoxious stage mom is going with her. (I’ll play along with the mean Idol editors and pretend Hollie doesn’t exist.)

• darcy's evil twin says:

Did Chelsea Sorrell make it through the final cuts? I thought she sounded very good in her group (on Be My Baby with Baylee Brown) but she hasn’t had any screen time – usually not a good sign.

• Deana says:

Unless you’re talking Season 8 and Kris Allen. lol
        But yeah, I’m wondering if she made it too.

• darcy's evil twin says:

LOL indeed! That’s why I typed, “usually”.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

If what I’ve read is accurate, then yes, she made the live shows. Count the number of names mentioned in my post, and you’ll see I’ve done something I shouldn’t have. I hope they don’t figure it out and ban me from commenting.

• Ben says:

I don’t know why you feel the need, frankly. I hope they do ban you from posting. There is absolutely zero reason for you to post spoilers on a site like this when anyone who wants to read them can go find them themselves. Very disappointed.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Maybe I’ve been watching this program for too long but I’m to the point where I can pretty well tell who is going through at this point by the edit. Johnny Keyser, however, was a surprise.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

I know some of you may be mad at me right now, but everyone goofs once in a while. I’ve been posting who I like and who I don’t on MJ’s Big Blog and, where the list has been up since January. I hadn’t realized I wrote it in a bad place until too late. So feel free to skip over any post that has my name on it. I didn’t mean to ruin the fun. I’m sorry.

• My Alter Ego says:

I don’t know whether or not she made it through, but she was definitely the weakest link in this group. Sorry …

• darcy's evil twin says:

@My Alter Ego – are you saying Chelsea Sorrell was the weakest link in that group? I thought the weakest link was the brunette with the really bad hairdo. Her hair looked line mine would have in 1978 after a hurricane. Looking up her name right now – Aubree Dieckmeyer.

• My Alter Ego says:

Well, there were many weak links in this performance: Bailey, Chelsea, and, yes, the other brunette with the bad hairdo, Aubree.
            Overall, this was a performance that only one did well, and none connected to it should be proud.

25. RTW says:

I always regarded Standing Os to be the highest form of praise on this show, so how many were handed out during Vegas week, five? It seems disingenuous to give a Standing O to a group effort only to promptly eliminate a member, specifically Candace Glover. From the video, she looked hurt and surprised (who wouldn’t?); I feel bad for her, I mean what kind of a mixed message is that?

26. Justin says:

Jen Hirsch is awful. Melinda, I’m not really sure why you love her so much. Control? That girl has NO control over her voice. All she does is scream. She comes from that Christina Aguilera school of singing. Evan should have went home. He got by solely because he’s this cute little kid. And I would like to never see or hear about Richie ever again. If that kid goes through to the top 12 I’m not watching. I’ve never hated a contestant more.

• My Alter Ego says:

Agreed. I usually agree with or will defer to Melinda’s judgement, but in Jen’s case, I can’t. While she did a sweet caress in the beginning of “Georgia,” her OTT screeching and simultaneous hand and leg “gestures” (to be kind) of “Sealed with a Kiss” sealed, for me, what she does. And I don’t like what she does. I’m not at all impressed that there is, true vocal talent.

• Ty says:

Christina is a fantastic singer, what are you on when listening to music? Ritalin?
      Just stop reloading her “dirty” video and listen to “beautiful” nothing screechy about that.
      Jen has one of the best voices in the competition, anyone who disagrees, enjoyed aaron kelleys singing voice.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I also like Jen Hirsch. I also liked Erika VanPelt.

• me says:

Yeah, Jen Hirsch bugs me.

27. Selena says:

“Let’s examine the clues:
    Keeps on singing after girl faints.”
    When that dude kept singing, I marked him off my list. Plus, he was just too arrogant.

28. Tiffany says:

Candace shouldn’t have been cut, nor should’ve Jairon. All the elvis guys and the 3 gals in the pink sparkly dresses should’ve gone. I liked Cowboys duet, to me it was ez listening music and I would’ve loved to have been slow dancing to it. Cowboy though, can go anytime. I don’t get the love for P2. Jen and Josh are my favs so far.

29. w says:

It seemed like Idology ended suddenly – I thought something was wrong on my end (Ipad) – I was really surprised you didn’t talk about the “you-made-it-through-oh-wait-you-didn’t-after-all” switch. Is that the kind of ‘gotcha’ changes the show is making this season? Nice.

30. Ruby says:

I just still can’t believe Johnny Keyser went home. I was absolutely sure he was the one to beat this year. Disappointing.

31. Tim says:

I like the new “compact” version of Idoloonies. Leave ’em wanting more, I say.

32. jazmine says:

I’m cheering for Joshua Ledet. He has been consistant through the whole process and his Jar of Hearts performance was just a.m.a.z.i.n.g

33. Annie says:

K so here’s how i see it.
    Reed Grimm – great musicality. albeit a little crazy, but hey sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad.
    Phillip Phillips – love him and his growl-y raspy voice. seems sweet. plus, he’s a babe.
    Heejun Han – comedic relief. and i actually dig the singing too. he’s gotta do something about that ‘do though.
    Jenn Hirsch – She rubs me the wrong way. Good vocals, besides the screaming.
    Baylie Brown – Average Joe, so no.
    Colton Dixon – Good, i can picture him becoming a leader of some band.
    Joshua Ledet – he kills it every single time!
    Shannon Magrane – trying to channel Xtina and Alicia. Thanks, but no thanks.
    Johnny Keyser – sad to see him go.
    Hollie Cavanaugh – I can’t get over her crying last year. ugh. Also, just a generic voice.

• Ben says:

You know, I loved Groovesauce and liked their performance in Las Vegas too. I think that Jenn can really sing. But… I can’t put my finger on it, but something about her rubs me the wrong way too. Really hope to see Aaron Marcellus who I still think may be underrated right now.

34. James says:

While Melinda is great for your co-host…how about shaking it up a wee bit eh? Some suggestions
    -Siobahn Magnus
    -Paul Macdonald
    -Allison Iraheta
    May of misspelled their last names a tad bit…but you get the idea!

• Carol says:

Yes! While I also love Melinda, I’d love to hear a little Idol chit-chat with any of these people, for example:
      – Tamyra Gray
      – George Huff
      – Elliott Yamin
      – Mandisa
      – Bucky Covington
      – Blake Lewis
      – Jason Castro
      – Brooke White
      – Michael Johns
      – Chikezie
      – Anoop Desai
      – Casey James
      – Naima Adedapo

35. Ben says:

If I had to pick a top 12 right now (lets say for argument it has to be 6 guys, 6 girls). Jessica, Elise, Erika, Hollie, Skylar, Jen, Heejun, Colton, Aaron, Reed, Adam, Deandre. If I could, I’d probably ditch a couple of girls in favour of seeing Joshua and Jeremy make it too, and thats still leaving Phillip out. I guess I hadn’t noticed before, but it seems I’m liking the guys this year. But of course everything changes come semi finals, does anyone know what format they will use this year?

36. Amy says:

Kenny Jesus! That is gold Melinda.
    Thank you Michael and Melinda, Jairon and Candace would have been in my top 10 after that round. I feel so much better knowing my ears aren’t playing tricks on me.
    Repad’s channel on youtube has Haley Reinhart’s clips from last season in amazing quality for anyone interested. After this week I’m a little more hopeful there’ll be someone as good as Haley to keep me interested this year.

37. Breeyell says:

My Top 12 would be….anyone but Brielle Von Turd. Seriously, that b*tch is horrendous and her voice is way too low.
    I’m hoping the Top 12 will include Phillip Phillips, Jr., Jessica Sanchez, Heejun Han and Hallie Day. I am hoping it will NOT include icky Reed Grimm, Brielle, Cowboy, and that screechy Fraker dude.

38. Betsy says:

I love Melinda Doolittle, she was my favorite contestant during Season 6, AND she’s smart and funny, too. I do not love mean people like “Enough Already”. Yuck.
    Candace should not have been cut – she was FANTASTIC!

39. marygrace says:

Always love the video and love Melinda every week, too.

40. Thank you Both says:

My computer has been broken and couldnt watch these videos on my iphone and love love love having Idology back, Michael you make me laugh so much and Melinda is such a fun partner for you and us as well. I just cant figure out the cowboy making it AT ALL and know he will be gone next cut for sure, but at a much more talented and deserving singer’s expense and ours as well. The Randy bit at the beginning, oh my, unfortunately so true bless his heart. Saw him on Live with Kelly and he asked her who Consuelos was on her tatoo on her wrist. Hey Rando, if u r cohosting with someone learn the hubby’s name and pretend like u care LOL

41. tom22 says:

Miachael , I love your comments.. but keep a few more of Melinda’s answers in next time?
    She’s super.. I would have liked to hear her complete a few sentences (espcially curious on Jessica Sanchez but others too.. maybe give us an unabridged version to chose from buried where only those wanting to piddle away more time will see?)

42. Deb says:

Eben was left in the mix to attract tween girls as Idol’s answer to Bieber.

43. LuAnne Cox says:

Scott Dangerfield. Oh, yeah, I didn’t make it to the top 24. Oops. it it wat it is. No really I wish he could have made it. He is so talented, but we didn’t get to see much of him. I was dissapointed in the girls. I did like Skylar though. Last year I liked Hailey. I like Aaron and Phil Phillips. I could go on and on, I think there is alot of really good talent this year. Well we just have to wait and see.

44. Marsha says:

Please get your IT guy to release this video for mobile…not accessible!

45. Selena says:

Mr. Slezak, can you please do something about rude commenters such as this? No class at all.