Ratings: Undercover Boss Gives CBS a Raise, Whitney Sings for 20/20, Nikita Up, Fringe Flat

CBS’ Friday scheduling shuffle paid some dividends in its first week, with Undercover Boss (10.7 million total viewers, 2.4 demo rating) improving on A Gifted Man‘s most recent performance as the lead-off hitter by 22 and 85 percent.

The Boss also gave CBS its most-watched and highest-rated 8 o’clock hour in almost three years, since Ghost Whisperer circa March 2009.

Come 9 pm, A Gifted Man did 9.5 mil and a 1.5, up 8 and 15 percent versus its last 8 pm outing.

However, it could/should be noted that Boss was down 20 percent when compared to its last Sunday broadcast, and Gifted Man was off 10 percent versus CSI: NY‘s most recent tally. Plus, with a slightly weaker lead-in — and opposite an amplified 20/20 special on Whitney Houston — Blue Bloods (10.6 mil/1.6) dipped 10 percent.

Save the Dates: February’s Big Premieres, Finales and Time Slot Changes

Now speaking of 20/20, its two-hour Whitney Houston retrospective drew 7.86 million total viewers and a 2.0 demo rating, up some 50 percent week-to-week and leading ABC to its most-watched Friday in more than two years.

Exclusive Fringe Sneak Peek: How Far Will [Spoiler] Go to Save [Spoiler]?

A few other notes:

* Among genre-TV fare, Nikita (1.6 mil/0.6) saw gains of 10 and 20 percent, Supernatural (1.7 mil/0.7) was down 10 percent in audience and a tenth in the demo, and Fringe (2.99 mil/1.1) was flat.

* NBC’s broadcast of the NAACP Image Awards averaged 2.96 million viewers and a 0.8 demo rating, placing fourth in both hours.

What were you watching live or live-ish this Friday night?

1. Kelly says:

I’m REALLY hoping Fox can see past Fringe’s Friday night ratings and renew them for their final season…

• Shazza, UK says:

So am I, Kelly – this season has been outstanding so far although it’s only just returned here in the UK so we’re a few weeks behind. And what’s with the three-week breaks between new episodes? That, coupled with the horrible timeslot, can’t be doing Fringe any favours, but I’m keeping everything crossed that Fox sees sense and gives Fringe the chance to go out with a proper final season.

• Barb says:

I posted my love for Fringe on my Facebook page this week. I urged others to try it if they weren’t watching it, mentioning that I wasn’t generally a fan of JJ Abrams or Fox, but Fringe was exceptional. You might want to try to reach out to people you know on social media to try to get them to try the show.

• damian says:

I have absolutely no hope but I’m 100% with you!

2. shuayb says:

Nikita is getting so interesting. I hope they get renewed for season 3.

3. Dwayne says:

Every Saturday I just fear seeing Fringe’s ratings after watching a spectacular episode the night before! I sincerely hope Fox isn’t stupid and cancels it!

• Sam says:

I hope Fox IS stupid. Because, quite frankly, it would be stupid not to cancel it. It’s a money-loser any way you look at it.
      Hopefully Fox will at least pull an NBC and give it a 13 episode final season. I can just imagine what JJ can do with that. Can you say “no filler episodes”?

• Kelly says:

The network would be “stupid” to cancel a show that has putrid ratings and is losing money for them? Yeah, right. Cancellation is the smart decision.

4. kevin says:

CBS may have a huge hit on Friday nights at 8 p.m. and that show is UNDERCOVER BOSS.

5. GK says:

Spnl is steady with a 0.7 which is later increased to 0.8. I don’t know why you always say its down a tenth!
    And I am praying Fringe makes it to season 5! This season is getting better and better with every episode. FOX should fire the people who are scheduling the shows!

6. Mh says:

YAY Nikita went up, so happy. FYI to all the haters NIKITa is not the worst rated CW show, the honor goes to Ringer.

7. Sarah says:

Maybe the 9pm slot is actually where A Gifted Man belongs as its ratings were better. Though I am doubtful it will see a sophomore run.

8. CJ says:

GO NIKITA!!! One of the best shows on TV.

9. Michael says:

if these ratings hold Nikita is rightfully going to be renewed. Nikita airs on fridays and still can maintain that when shows on the weekdays get that also.Plus the competition was a little bigger than usual last night with UB reaching 2.4

10. Nicole says:

YES! Nikita went up! More people tuned into the brillance that is this show, good job everyone!

11. Dwayne says:

CW shows need not worry much cause the bar is set rather low! Other shows on bigger networks like Fox (i.e. Fringe)when their ratings are low it almost certainly leads to cancellation! Fox needs to do the right thing and just pick up Fringe for a final 13 or however many episodes season.

12. Judy says:

Last night was excellent tv on CBS! While I was always happy with Undercover Boss on Sunday nights, I can also handle its being on Friday nights. Last night’s ep was a good one, followed by yet another excellent Gifted Man and Blue Bloods. Keep up the good work, and pls bring Gifted Man back next season!!!

13. Matt H. says:

Fringe was amazing this week. How can it’s ratings remain flat? If a show can’t increase its ratings by producing an amazing product, what hoe is there?

14. Susie says:

I love A Gifted Man. Last night’s episode was GREAT!!! I am really hoping it gets another season, it’s getting really better every week.

15. angelstorm says:

I really don’t understand why people don’t watch Fringe – it’s just soooooo good ! :( I really have everything crossed for it to be renewed !

16. Sarabi says:

Come on, people! Watch Fringe, please!

17. Lynda Schwartz says:

I am upset over how CSI NY is being treated. I enjoyed its lead into Blue Bloods. I cannot be alone, am I?

• sarah says:

You are not alone I like CSI NY alot it is the best of the 3 CSI’s. I also like Blue Bloods
      I had a chuckle when A Gifted Man did not do as well as CSI NY. That better make CBS realized that what it is doing to CSI NY is dumb

18. Tracy says:

Huge fringe fan and hope it gets resigned for another season and fringe is usually 20+ epis to each season

19. John says:

Hopefully they renew NIKITA. This show deserve few more seasons!
    Come on people…watch NIKITA is mini action movie..so good

20. guest says:

That just goes to show that CSI NY and Blue Bloods were the better combo than A Gifted Man and Blue Bloods
    It is too bad they had to air the 20/20 against BB, I did not watch the special on Whitney personally had not desire.
    Blue Bloods is one of th best shows on TV

21. G says:

Nikita was the only thing that went on my DVR for Friday.

22. Lisa miller says:

I will be forever heart broken if fringe is over this season. I honestly will stop watching fox period. If they can’t see all the hills they have put up against their own show then I don’t have much interest in following any thing else they put out or have out. I will just stick with the main stream channels or just watch cable net works or just start reading books because at least that way I can have aome control by putting it down and picking it up and not have all my plans being in the hands of the Networks

23. Thanks Admin.. Very Nice..

24. calico says:

Fringe is amazing, I can’t live without it . . Are Americans stupid or what ?
    Why can’t they just get into and appreciate their own drama’s, instead of stupidly lame drivel like “Gossip Girl” ?
    It’s TV shows like Fringe that improve America’s reputation internationally . . yet few American’s even realise how good (this) their own show is . . it’s a crying shame.