Scoop: The Good Wife Retains Former Friend Matthew Perry For Recurring Gig

The Good Wife Matthew PerryAlicia Florrick is about to make a new friend frenemy.

Matthew Perry is joining The Good Wife in the recurring role of Mike, an ultra-charming Chicago attorney tasked with heading up a blue ribbon panel that’s investigating a suspicious police shooting. His political steering of the committee seems inevitable until he’s sabotaged by a truth-seeking Alicia (Julianna Margulies).

Perry — last seen on the small screen in the short-lived ABC comedy Mr. Sunshine — makes his Good debut on March 25. Rumor has it the role may extend into next season.

Although the actor is (obviously) best known for his comedy work, let’s not forget his strong dramatic turns on The West Wing and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

Thoughts? Think Perry will be a Good addition?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Scoop

1. AJ says:

Love the Good Wife & love Matthew Perry. I really hope he’ll get a show again.

2. Sissi says:

YAY! I adore him! But still… I wish Celeste would come back!!!

3. Josh says:

Recurring? Hmm…This sounds like it should be a one episode gig…but the fact that it’s more tells me that Kalinda might somehow be involved in this. Will this be the case that fully brings back the Kalinda/Alicia relationship(which is the best on the show, closely followed by Diane/Will)

4. e says:

EEEK!!! LOVE THIS! he is one of my Favorites and this is my favorite show. he is actually amazing at dramatic work, and I am excited to see how he is incorporated into the show. YAY!

5. stefany says:

Looking forward to it. Like the Good Wife, liked Friends, liked Matthew on West Wing and Sunset Strip.

6. Mary G says:

LOVE it! Love this show and Love Matthew Perry!

7. TFD says:

Nice of you to acknowledge his excellent work on The West Wing.
    Sadly only for a few episodes, but he was blinding there.

8. abc123 says:

Yes! This is such a perfect fit! Matt can play dramatic really well (I still miss the gone-too-soon Studio 60) and he played a lawyer on Ally McBeal once. I can totally see him on The Good Wife and I do hope the role extends into next season.
    Also, no offense to Michael J. Fox fans, but the Louis Canning character has worn thin and Perry’s character could be the new “frenemy” of the firm.

9. lipsticksocialism says:

this is beyond awesome!! love me some Matthew Perry!

10. kikayqt says:

Very smart Casting! Best show on network TV!

11. l says:

NO, PLEASE NO…don’t make him go on that show…I love him sooo much but I will not watch that show, not even with him on it!? :(

• Cody says:

Yeah, what a horrible gig?! Having to work on a critically acclaimed show that continues to get better with each episode just sucks! Poor Matthew Perry!

12. Eric says:

For some reason when I see “recurring” I’m thinking he might be a new love interest for Alicia…

13. Annabelle says:

Finally something good for Matthew Perry to sink his teeth into!!! He is such a versatile actor…I might even start watching TGW regularly now :) My wish tho: this gets him an awesome new show for himself next pilot season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. João Amaral says:

GOD YES!!!

15. Andrea says:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve wanted Matthew to do drama again ever since The West Wing and S60. The Good Wife is very Sorkin-esque, so I’m thrilled by this!

• Dear says:

I agree! Matthew perry will fit in perfectly with the talented cast!
      he’s amazing in every drama I’ve seen him.
      This show definitely has a great Sorkin vibe to it.
      I’d also love for them to bring back Lisa edelstein as celeste.
      What a stellar season with outstanding guests!
      Best drama on TV!

16. KD says:

Love it love it love it! Cannot wait!

17. chris says:

ATTENTION GOOD WIFE: Let’s get JAMES WOLK on the show!

18. reem says:

This will be amazing…i even hope he gets an extended role.i adore both the show and the hunk.

19. B says:

idea: good wife creators, create a spin-off and put all your amazing guest stars in it. since you can’t make all of them series regulars…
    this is great news, the good wife is my current favourite show and i love matthew.

20. rachel says:

LOVE. that is all.

21. Linderella says:

This is great news. Matthew Perry has been far too underappreciated. Great to see him included in the terrific ensemble cast on the Good Wife.

22. Louise says:

LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Mark Kincheloe says:

Both are good actors. Hope M.P. finds a place…

24. Kat says:

Matthew was incredible on Studio 60 and I can’t wait to see him on the Good Wife! He’ll be terrific!

25. lsbloom says:

The Good Wife is Aaron Sorkin-light, so Matthew Perry should be just as great as he was on Study 60 and The West Wing.

26. Claire says:

Great great news! A magnificent show with a terrific actor — great combination. I hope the recurring turns out to be ongoing, a la Michael Fox.

27. airhead says:

I can’t help but always see him as Chandler, always ready with a bad joke. But I’m excited to see him on TGW – those people definitely know how to cast

28. tp says:

Oh how I miss Studio 60. I am happy to see him on something else good.

29. Jan says:

This season the show’s writers and producers are using the show to promote liberal ideas such as the judge that gives a speech in the courtroom supporting the “Occupiers.” They have the freedom to do so but I have the freedom to change the channel. I no longer a fan of The Good Wife because I resent the liberal philosophy that is pushed by the show. The Occupiers are nothing but paid thugs that are costing working people money!
    Goodbye Good Wife.

30. Merri Kaplan says:

Wonderful!! An excellent choice…