Scoop: The Good Wife Retains Former Friend Matthew Perry For Recurring Gig

Get More: Casting News, Scoop

The Good Wife Matthew PerryAlicia Florrick is about to make a new friend frenemy.

Matthew Perry is joining The Good Wife in the recurring role of Mike, an ultra-charming Chicago attorney tasked with heading up a blue ribbon panel that’s investigating a suspicious police shooting. His political steering of the committee seems inevitable until he’s sabotaged by a truth-seeking Alicia (Julianna Margulies).

Perry — last seen on the small screen in the short-lived ABC comedy Mr. Sunshine — makes his Good debut on March 25. Rumor has it the role may extend into next season.

Although the actor is (obviously) best known for his comedy work, let’s not forget his strong dramatic turns on The West Wing and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

Thoughts? Think Perry will be a Good addition?

Comments (36)

• Love the Good Wife & love Matthew Perry. I really hope he’ll get a show again.

Comment by AJ – February 17, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From one AJ to another, I wholeheartedly agree!

Comment by AJ – February 17, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • lol! Another AJ opinion. Yes! to MP on GW!!

Comment by AJ – February 17, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! I adore him! But still… I wish Celeste would come back!!!

Comment by Sissi – February 17, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Recurring? Hmm…This sounds like it should be a one episode gig…but the fact that it’s more tells me that Kalinda might somehow be involved in this. Will this be the case that fully brings back the Kalinda/Alicia relationship(which is the best on the show, closely followed by Diane/Will)

Comment by Josh – February 17, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EEEK!!! LOVE THIS! he is one of my Favorites and this is my favorite show. he is actually amazing at dramatic work, and I am excited to see how he is incorporated into the show. YAY!

Comment by e – February 17, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to it. Like the Good Wife, liked Friends, liked Matthew on West Wing and Sunset Strip.

Comment by stefany – February 17, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE it! Love this show and Love Matthew Perry!

Comment by Mary G – February 17, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice of you to acknowledge his excellent work on The West Wing.
    Sadly only for a few episodes, but he was blinding there.

Comment by TFD – February 17, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! This is such a perfect fit! Matt can play dramatic really well (I still miss the gone-too-soon Studio 60) and he played a lawyer on Ally McBeal once. I can totally see him on The Good Wife and I do hope the role extends into next season.
    Also, no offense to Michael J. Fox fans, but the Louis Canning character has worn thin and Perry’s character could be the new “frenemy” of the firm.

Comment by abc123 – February 17, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is beyond awesome!! love me some Matthew Perry!

Comment by lipsticksocialism – February 17, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very smart Casting! Best show on network TV!

Comment by kikayqt – February 17, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO, PLEASE NO…don’t make him go on that show…I love him sooo much but I will not watch that show, not even with him on it!? :(

Comment by l – February 17, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, what a horrible gig?! Having to work on a critically acclaimed show that continues to get better with each episode just sucks! Poor Matthew Perry!

Comment by Cody – February 17, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For some reason when I see “recurring” I’m thinking he might be a new love interest for Alicia…

Comment by Eric – February 17, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally something good for Matthew Perry to sink his teeth into!!! He is such a versatile actor…I might even start watching TGW regularly now :) My wish tho: this gets him an awesome new show for himself next pilot season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Annabelle – February 17, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Annabelle, you should definitely watch TGW regularly. It’s a great tv show, with great writing and great acting :)

Comment by Isabel – February 17, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GOD YES!!!

Comment by João Amaral – February 17, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve wanted Matthew to do drama again ever since The West Wing and S60. The Good Wife is very Sorkin-esque, so I’m thrilled by this!

Comment by Andrea – February 17, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Matthew perry will fit in perfectly with the talented cast!
      he’s amazing in every drama I’ve seen him.
      This show definitely has a great Sorkin vibe to it.
      I’d also love for them to bring back Lisa edelstein as celeste.
      What a stellar season with outstanding guests!
      Best drama on TV!

Comment by Dear – February 17, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • can’t stand Lisa Edelstein

Comment by umbrella – February 17, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it love it love it! Cannot wait!

Comment by KD – February 17, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ATTENTION GOOD WIFE: Let’s get JAMES WOLK on the show!

Comment by chris – February 17, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will be amazing…i even hope he gets an extended role.i adore both the show and the hunk.

Comment by reem – February 17, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • idea: good wife creators, create a spin-off and put all your amazing guest stars in it. since you can’t make all of them series regulars…
    this is great news, the good wife is my current favourite show and i love matthew.

Comment by B – February 17, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE. that is all.

Comment by rachel – February 17, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news. Matthew Perry has been far too underappreciated. Great to see him included in the terrific ensemble cast on the Good Wife.

Comment by Linderella – February 17, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Louise – February 17, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both are good actors. Hope M.P. finds a place…

Comment by Mark Kincheloe – February 18, 2012 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew was incredible on Studio 60 and I can’t wait to see him on the Good Wife! He’ll be terrific!

Comment by Kat – February 18, 2012 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife is Aaron Sorkin-light, so Matthew Perry should be just as great as he was on Study 60 and The West Wing.

Comment by lsbloom – February 18, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great great news! A magnificent show with a terrific actor — great combination. I hope the recurring turns out to be ongoing, a la Michael Fox.

Comment by Claire – February 18, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t help but always see him as Chandler, always ready with a bad joke. But I’m excited to see him on TGW – those people definitely know how to cast

Comment by airhead – February 19, 2012 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh how I miss Studio 60. I am happy to see him on something else good.

Comment by tp – February 19, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season the show’s writers and producers are using the show to promote liberal ideas such as the judge that gives a speech in the courtroom supporting the “Occupiers.” They have the freedom to do so but I have the freedom to change the channel. I no longer a fan of The Good Wife because I resent the liberal philosophy that is pushed by the show. The Occupiers are nothing but paid thugs that are costing working people money!
    Goodbye Good Wife.

Comment by Jan – February 26, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful!! An excellent choice…

Comment by Merri Kaplan – February 28, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post