Simon Says: The X Factor, Idol and Voice Champs Should Face Off – Do You Like the Idea?

Reality competition guru Simon Cowell has come forth with a notion that, if enacted earlier, would have thrown The X Factor‘s Melanie Amaro, American Idol‘s Scotty McCreery and The Voice‘s Javier Colon into a steel cage for a Showdown of the Singing Show Champions (TVLine’s proposed title patent pending).

Late Thursday night, Cowell shared on Twitter the (rather improbable) suggestion that the winner of The X Factor compete against his/her counterpart from Idol and The Voice in what he dubbed a “super final.” Never one to shy from the spotlight, he said, “I’d be up for it.”

But there’s just one problem with such a showdown, American Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe promptly replied: By then (meaning: the late fall), “the Idol winner will be a star” already.

Lythgoe’s retort carries on a recent combative theme, started at the winter TCA press tour, where Team Idol took the stance that only their show produced actual stars.

Three questions going into Comments:

1 | Do you like Cowell’s idea of a sort of “World Series” championship between the three reality show’s champs?

2 | Do you agree with Lythgoe that Idol is more of a proven kingmaker, and thus would have a huge advantage in any red timeline where such a intra-/inter-network reality-TV face-off comes to pass?

3 | And finally, in the question of who should take on hosting duties for the singing showdown — might we suggest a pre-seaon, winner-take-the-mic showdown between Steve Jones and Paula Abdul? Come on, you know you’d watch that.

Comments (55)

• I think Simon should stop talking and all of these shows should go away. Please! I’m so done with them.

Comment by Jennifer – February 17, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • then why are you wasting your time reading about them? just go away yourself! :-)

Comment by CHARLIE – February 19, 2012 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel has a point, though it’s mostly because American Idol has been on the air for 11 years. It’s the proven product. Voice and X-Factor are both brand new.
    If you think of it less as a World Series and more of an All-Star game (just for fun, benefit for everyone), I think it could be an entertaining idea. Probably why Nigel doesn’t want to: the AI winner would theoretically have nothing to gain.

Comment by John – February 17, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But X-Factor UK has already produced some mega-stars, and the U.S. show will probably do also, but probably not every year. I just think it’s great that these shows showcase singers that we wouldn’t see otherwise and give them exposure that leads to good to great careers in music for many of them. Why not just leave it at that?

Comment by charlie – February 19, 2012 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the winner of “The Singing Bee?”

Comment by Chris – February 17, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s a pretty good idea, but presents a lot of obstacles – what network would it be on, who would host it, who would produce it, etc.
    I like Nigel but he’s dreaming if he thinks the next winner of Idol will be a star – most people (even those who watch, like my parents) can’t even name the person who won last year.

Comment by Michelle – February 17, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well they must have quite poor memories. I’m sure most fans of the show remember the winners of all the seasons back to Kelly Clarkson of Season 1. We also remember many of the really good also-rans.

Comment by charlie – February 19, 2012 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do. not. want. And honestly, the winners of these shows shouldn’t either. Move on and work on your career!

Comment by Brandy – February 17, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously the only person who could host such a championship would be Brian Dunkleman

Comment by Katie – February 17, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds like someone trying to extend his time on the top. Its over, and your DJ competition isn’t going to work.
    Besides, 90% of the time, its we, the music-buying public, who are the losers.

Comment by Bernadette – February 17, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the idea, but it will never happen. Everyone has too much to lose.
    Suggested name (that combines the 3 titles): Vox Americana

Comment by Rock Golf – February 17, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • even better: The American Voice Factor…

Comment by manuel – February 17, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • that sounds like the title of a Big Bang Theory episode.

Comment by cj – February 17, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remember that they had an International Idol competition where Kelly Clarkson competed against the winning Idols from other countries. That didn’t go over that well and was discontinued. Simon’s idea wouldn’t go over that well either IMO. Let them compete in the music marketplace. Whoever sells the most records, has the most fans, wins the title: Best of 2011.

Comment by charlie – February 19, 2012 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was just thinking of that show! Its a fun idea but I can’t see it really taking off

Comment by jenna – February 19, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They already do this…it’s called Billboard.

Comment by Patrick – February 17, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel is such a d***.

Comment by Jason – February 17, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my thoughts exactly… ugh

Comment by jess – February 17, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Simon and Nigel both! Let’s deport them back to the UK after we tar and feather them in the good ole-fashioned American way! Ha ha.. Kidding. I do think however that we should have a special income tax rate on British millionaires who make tons of money in the U.S. and confiscate a big % of their income.

Comment by charlie – February 19, 2012 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always thought that American Idol should do an all-star season, bringing back the top two from each season and have them compete against each other.

Comment by Jerry – February 17, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!!! Can you imagine how much fun that would be?! See your fallen favorites all over again?

Comment by Manuel – February 17, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So that way we can just watch Kelly, Carrie, and Adam trounce everyone? I’d be up for that!

Comment by KSM – February 17, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • don’t forget Chris and J-Hud! Oh wait… >_>

Comment by jess – February 17, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t know both y’all, but even though Lee/Crystal was a weak duo, I think Crystal could do rather well in an all-star concept. Kelly-Carrie-Adam and possibly Scotty (unfortunately), would slay everyone though. I love the idea, but very unrealistic. Maybe have voters put two contestants from previous seasons’ top 5. I would love to see Allison Iraheta again, but voters would never give her that chance. :(

Comment by Vetle – February 17, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As long as we can switch Lauren Alaina for Haley Reinhart

Comment by Annie – February 17, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haley like Pia should remain in relative obscurity.

Comment by Toto – February 17, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d watch it, but I think it would take away from the winners. I’d prefer a show with the top 10 from each show, excluding the winners.

Comment by Nadine – February 17, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great idea! Can Ricky Gervais host?

Comment by Lynne – February 17, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think an All-Star Series would be great!!! It would give great singers from all shows another chance to “make” it!!!

Comment by Manuel – February 17, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This comes off to me as a desperate attempt by Simon to add some relevance to his disappointing show.

Comment by TheBeach – February 17, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly. because his show IS american idol, just with less restrictions on the participants.

Comment by cj – February 17, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for an All-Star format with participants from all seasons (anyone in the top 5 could represent), and including any reality-tv singing contest: Star Search, Nashville Star, The Sing-Off (my fav for pure music), RockStar… I wouldn’t be excited about including the ‘Search for the Next Pussycat Doll’ or the one about casting ‘Grease’ for Broadway, but I suppose it takes all kinds to make good reality tv (there should be air quotes in that phrase!).
    They could compete for a spot on the US Olympic Singing team, and subsequently the team would compete in the World Olympics Singing Smackdown, yay!

Comment by Melody – February 17, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ummm Didn’t try this already with World Idol and it failed with the viewers. Bad idea because all of these shows are very different.

Comment by jen – February 17, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You Know, Idol is really incomparable- its been way too long on the TV, what? 13 seasons. The other shows are just starting out. But the truth is, its not the star but airtime on the radio, publicity and what not but mainly good music. I mean, I really did not watch AI up till a couple of years and Yet I love Kelly Clarkson, Underwood and even the Not winners like J.Hudson and Daughtry. With that said I doubt any show has anything to do with how far their contestants go but the will-power themselves. I don’t have to remember a person’s name just cause they think they sing, only they themselves can make their own name unforgettable. Nigel should come down from that cloud.

Comment by simplyfla – February 17, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a bad idea. It makes the singers look like they are professional reality show contestants, and not real artists. The priae should be a chance at launching a singing career, not the chance to appear on another reality show.
    It looks like Simon is just upset about his show’s ratings.

Comment by Annie – February 17, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could be wrong, but I don’t think this is ever going to happen. Simon is just trying to get more publicity to X Factor. He also did the Whitney thing and now this.
    I still think X Factor has a chance at getting better though.

Comment by Nick – February 17, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d totally watch that. I don’t watch the Voice, and rarely watch Idol anymore, but this would be fun to see. To shut Nigel up, we can have the winner of SYTYCD dance to all of the competitors.

Comment by KSM – February 17, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem with this idea is that the best performers never win the shows. I didn’t watch the Voice but I know I’d have ZERO interest in watching Melanie vs Scotty in a bore-off competition. That would be coma inducing. Haley vs Drew I’d watch though.

Comment by lethargic – February 17, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In remember when they orchestrated World Idol where the winners from like 10 countries competed and Kelly Clarkson actually came in second to some one else.

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – February 17, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care about all three of them. I love the Voice because I’m a fan of the coaches. The voice is not producing stars. It only makes the coaches more famous and give the network good ratings. But, who the hell cares about Javier?
    X Factor should had stayed in the UK. It was a big FAIL by Simom.
    American Idol producers shouldn’t be too cocky. Scotty is doing well but, not ALL of their winners go on to be “Famous”.

Comment by Nina – February 17, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh, I believe you meant Simone.

Comment by Billy – February 17, 2012 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be perfectly honest, American Idol’s tough and grueling process of finding artists is the best of the three. However, these executive producers seriously need to stop talking because this is just childish. The measure of success of their winners is entirely due to their talent and not the competition show they won.
    When it comes to the shows itself, though, I find The Voice the most entertaining.

Comment by Aiden – February 17, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I won Idol, I’d think it would be insane to agree to that. No way. It’s almost all downside, and even if you won, very little upside. It’d never happen.

Comment by tarc – February 17, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That no-talent hick Snotty McCreepy would be SLAUGHTERED in that match up.

Comment by Jo – February 17, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just as he was on Idol last year? You may want to re-conceptualize your online persona.

Comment by JJ – February 17, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His name is SCOTTY McCreepy and he is the best singer alive in the known universe. And he is cute and stuff…

Comment by Billy – February 17, 2012 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think this could be a good idea, and it could be done for charity, too! Build up an entire show around performances from the season’s favourites, and then the final three the winners of the three shows… And then have a public vote all the while taking calls for donations to a wonderful charity!

Comment by Mellie – February 17, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first season of The Voice was better than the last two seasons of AI. Even better, The Voice didn’t have as large a talent pool. This season, they’ve changed that. The talent level is already better than most seasons of AI. In conclusion, it would hardly be fair to put the winner of the dying AI and the winner of the failed X Factor up against the winner of the best singing competetion on TV.

Comment by David – February 17, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not if Simon is judging (I don’t want to have to listen to him – he’s so full of himself)

Comment by ladyhelix – February 17, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Inspired by Simon’s idea, I’d like to see the winner of the Democratic nomination take on the winner of the Republican nomination…oh wait.

Comment by Nik – February 17, 2012 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually I like the idea if they include the winner of The Sing Off, Pentatonix. They could blow away any of the other 3 winners. And let The Sing Off judges compete against the other 3 panels. The whole show blows away the other three.

Comment by Sophie – February 18, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree. I feel Simon has lost his touch big time and wasn’t prepared for it. I can’t believe he wants to get Mariah Carey as a judge. Tbh, the audience he’s marketing to probably never heard of Mariah or care abt her. This isn’t the nineties. And please, if we are trying to stay away from Mariah wannabes, why have her on the show. Agh. And he just doesn’t fit as a judge anymore.. He’s too serious, manipulative and calculator to be honest. I live the voice judges bc hey are fresh, funny and have great chemistry. It’s going to be hard for Simon to find that, esp since he hasn’t proven to come up with a good set of judges for xfactor USA s1, despite all the time and money he has. He and la are the weak points. Stay behind he scenes and get some fresh faces out there.

Comment by Anon – February 18, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well if they’re going to do it – they might as well pit the #2′s, #3′s, and #4′s against each other too. Idol’s finalists from last year alone (Lauren, Haley, Durbin) would give them a run for their money.
    Beyond that Lambert, Hudson, Daughtry and McPhee – to name just a few – are probably too busy.

Comment by ladyhelix – February 18, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this would be great but i think they should get the X-Factor UK winners to compete, If Leona Lewis was in it then it would be amazing :3 Just saying but yes if Leona Lewis or Alexander Burke is not in it then i am not watching

Comment by Bryce – February 21, 2012 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post