Pilot Scoop: The CW's Arrow Targets Gossip Girl, Heroes Vet Joins New Marc Cherry Soap and More

The CW’s superhero pilot Arrow has set its sights on former Gossip Girl troublemaker Willa Holland.

The O.C. alumna will play Thea Queen, the boundary-testing celebutante sister of Green Arrow’s alter ego Oliver Queen (played by Stephen Amell), our sister site Deadline reports. Melrose Place‘s Katie Cassidy and Once & Again‘s Susanna Thompson are also set to star.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

In other pilot news…

Marc Cherry’s new ABC soap, Devious Maids, has found the first of its leading ladies in Dania Ramirez. The Heroes/Entourage beauty will play Rosie, a single mother who now works in Beverly Hills as the housekeeper for a pair of actors, per Deadline.

• Rescue Me vet Steven Pasquale has landed the lead in NBC’s Jekyll & Hyde-eqsue medical drama Do No Harm, which centers on a neurosurgeon who wrestles with his über-dangerous alter-ego.

Law & Order Alumna Alana De La Garza Joins Do No Harm

Harper’s Island‘s Adam Campbell has joined the cast of CBS’ untitled comedy from The Muppets helmer Nick Stoller, Deadline reports. The series centers on a commitment phobe (Michael Angarano) who breaks off his engagement and must continue working with his ex, with Campbell playing a co-worker.

Mimi Kennedy (Dharma & Greg) is set to play Judy Greer’s mother-in-law in ABC’s single-camera comedy, American Judy, which follows a recently married woman who struggles to adjust to life in the suburbs.

Which pilot castings piqued your interested?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. ggny says:

is she playing the “speedy” role or is that another character?

• Drew says:

No, the Speedy you’re thinking of was Mia Dearden, an HIV positive former prostitute who Oliver took under his wing… Which is a much more interesting character.
      This was after the original Speedy, Roy Harper, was punched in the face and thrown out into the streets by Ollie, after he was discovered to be a heroin addict. Also a more interesting story.
      As far as I know (I’m not a Green Arrow expert) Oliver’s mother and sister should not be in the picture… I think his mother has always been dead in the comics (along with his father) and I don’t recall a sister at all.
      Those two character make me cringe when I read the breakdown. They make the show sound way too much like the other CW’s shows about snotty rich people and their weekly parties. I really don’t need Green Arrow to be blended with Gossip Girl. Two totally different demographics.

2. Dana says:

This is ridiculous to even attempt without Justin. I’ll give it a shot just to say I tried, but I don’t see how they could impress me when their plots for this retelling are just ludicrous. Oliver Queen having a sister? Like we needed another troubled teen running around on the CW when we have gossip girl, 9021-Joke, and bad-rich girl Juliet on Ringer. And Oliver’s mom being alive? Because it wasn’t enough these writers ruined other comic heroes at one point…

• Drew says:

Agreed. There should have at least been some more time between Smallville and this series, because Smallville fans have long been asking for a Green Arrow or Justice League series and this could be taken as more of a slap in the face to those fans than an appreciation of the comic book community.
      This series could be good, don’t get me wrong. But there were so many other characters they could have gone with (Nightwing, The Question… Detective Chimp… or not) that this seems like a bad idea. Made worse by the Gossip Girl elements.

• Captain says:

Ever heard of creative license? Screenwriters do it all the time. No writer wants to just blindly make a carbon-copy of someone else’s work, they want to create their own story and their own universe. Every show based on a book (or comic book in this case) has had the same “backlash” before its premier because fans of the source material want the writers to just make a direct television version of the book without changing anything (Pretty Little Liars, The Vampire Diaries and Gossip Girl all had a similar response before becoming huge hits) but I don’t know a single writer that would be okay with that. Don’t judge a show before you’ve seen it.

3. Little Scarf Girl says:

Hm…not sure about the sister character. She doesn’t seem to be a character from the comics or anything, and unless she’s either got a very small role or gets in on the crime-fighting thing, I don’t know what she’s going to be doing.

4. G says:

This might have made it a must try for me. Loved Willa in the O.C. and really liked Katie Cassidy on the Melrose remake (she was really one of the only good things about the remake).

• Kessa says:

i agree, the only reason im bothering to watch is for katie cassidy who was the star of the melrose remake flop and was pretty good as juliet in gossip girl. willing to give this a shot. also stephen amell isnt sexier than justin hartley but hes been on private practice for a few episodes this season and i am starting to like him.

5. Scribe says:

Yvonne Stravoski from Chuck (probably spelt wrong!) should be cast as Dinah Lance. She’s the only one other than Alaina Huffman who can pull off Black Canary.

6. Will says:

I’m definitely IN for Arrow now. Katie Cassidy and Willa Holland?! I love both ladies to pieces!

7. X says:

Oh thats nice.
    Tell me when she is dead, and Mia Dearden joins the cast.

8. fitzhugh says:

I think Willa will play either arowette or artemis…I love Katie Cassidy and playing one of my fave superhero!!! Can’t wait for it!!