Ratings: CSI and Whitney Are Only Gainers as Wednesday Serves Up Many Lows

Man, all of those Valentine’s dates must have run well into overtime, because on the heels of depressed Tuesday viewership, Wednesday’s primetime TV line-up suffered multiple season and series lows.

In fact, only NBC’s Whitney (with 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.6 rating, up 10 and 7 percent) and Elisabeth Shue’s CSI debut (11.1 mil/2.7, up 2 and 8 percent) enjoyed gains. Everyone else? Down, down hard or, best case scenario, flat versus a week ago.

Of the night’s big events, the premiere of Survivor: One World (10.7 mil/3.0) was down 6 percent in the demo versus the reality competition’s year-ago season opener, while Revenge’s buzzy Fire & Ice ball (7.6 mil/2.4) dipped a tenth in the demo to tie the freshman sudser’s all-time low.

Going hour by hour….

8 pm | American Idol‘s two-hour outing held steady week-to-week with 18.6 million total viewers and a 6.0 rating. ABC’s sitcombo of The Middle (8.05 mil/2.5) and Suburgatory (6.9 mil/2.4) both were at season lows. Leading out of Whitney, NBC’s Chelsea (3.5 mil/1.4) slipped a few percentage points, while One Tree Hill was steady at 1.36 mil/0.7.

9 pm | Criminal Minds (11.9 mil/3.0) was down 10 percent to a season low, while ABC’s Modern Family (11.2 mil/4.7) and Happy Endings (5.8 mil/2.5) each dropped 15 percent. NBC’s Rock Center (3 mil/0.8) cratered some 27 percent.

10 pm | CSI dominated, followed by Revenge and SVU (5.85 mil/1.7, down 10 and 15 percent to a series low).

What were you watching this Wednesday?

1. Rachel says:

How is it possible that Revenge was down to a season low??? What a great episode!

• DL says:

Seriously! With all the anticipation, I was expecting it to do boffo ratings!

• Saracen Riggins says:

I was thinking the same thing! Seems impossible.

• Jo B. says:

It’s not revenge with a series low it was SVU – to only have 5.8 M viewers during SWEEPS. Not good. This is what happens when you mess with a tried and true formula. I believe Revenge was at 7.7 million. Still down from the 10 M of the pilot but still a very respectable number.

2. Jarrod says:

Wouldn’t the 10 million people who tuned into the pilot for Revenge be curious as to who was shot? I know I was gripping to my seat.

3. Musica1 says:

I watched the first hour of American Idol while dvring Survivor, then watched Survivor from 9 to 10. Will watch the 2nd hour of Idol today. Had 5 people in the demo here and all were only interested in Survivor.

4. Mark says:

I really enjoyed Elisabeth Shue’s CSI debut. I stopped watching CSI when William Petersen left but I’ve been watching with Ted Danson.

• Diane says:

I never watched CSI but started because of Ted Danson. I knew Elisabeth Shue would be great. The two of them together are so good, so natural. It’s a pleasure watching them.

5. joterri says:

I think most people figuired out that Revenge would NOT kill of Daniel……to bad they should have.

6. sarah says:

WHAT…Modern Family dropped viewers? As always it was super funny

7. Saint Alicia says:

Seems like Beth is doing wonderful things for Criminal Minds’ ratings… nah, it’s probably just because of the “holiday.” ¬__¬

• Bethann says:

OMG, STFU about Beth. We get it. You hate her. You wish she wasn’t on the show. Personally, I can’t imagine getting *that pressed* about a character who’s only had about seven minutes of screentime in *14 episodes* of a season, but hey, to each their own. Do you think, though, that you could make your whining the tiniest bit logical? That would at least be a change from the nonsensical crap you spout every time there’s a Criminal Minds article on this site. You can’t blame the episode’s ratings on a character who was in it for maybe three minutes and whose presence wasn’t even advertised to the wider viewing public. Contrary to what rabid Internet fans think, they’re almost always one of the smallest percentages of a show’s audience when a show’s audience is as routinely big as CM’s.
      If Beth’s presence is such an insult to you, here’s a thought: don’t watch the episodes she’s in and stop reading articles about her. How ’bout you just stop mentioning her altogether.

• Get Real says:

Why don’t you STFU….why didn’t you just ignore Saint Alicia, she’s just as entitled as you are to post her opinion…and guess what if a significant portion of the fan base stop watching CM…there will be no more CM…so please stop telling fans to not watch.

• Mcat says:

*slow clap*
        You, madam, are awesome.

8. l says:

I def expected revenges ratings to be higher cause it was continuation of the pilot. Plus so much anticipation. It wad really good and more ppl shouldve tuned in. Its all good cause it will last. I has a feeling it was d cause he was

• l says:

I had a feeling it was Tyler cause he was the only one who knew where the box was. He didn’t get the chance to get it cause she walked and then was arrested. Only makes sense that would be his first visit when he escaped.

9. intelliwoman says:

revenge: I love EVC, and tried to wait the POS that is Revenge, as did most of my friends. Its a nite time, boring soap opera, no character development, lousy writing, not an intelligent well written show like Everwood or Brothers and Sisters, which is what I expected EVC to choose for her next project. These were good tv. revenge is schlock

• fernando says:

your crazy, Revenge is the best new show this season. Every ep. is more intense then the one before, every person on the show deserves an emmy from how wonderful they act. Theres always twist and turns. Sorry that you dont like it but im glad many people love it and 7 almost 8 million people love it and are loyal to it. Great show.

10. hru says:

CSI was a really great start for E shue. Solid episode and interesting. She did pretty good too. Love J Fox she always excels in the few episodes she is in.

11. Holly says:

Okay, so can we cancel Chelsea and Whitney now please? Please, NBC? Please, oh, please?

• Little Scarf Girl says:

I know, right? Neither of them are doing very well. If they had something to fill the Thursday at 8PM slot, I’d say they should dump both Whitney and Chelsea and put Community and 30 Rock as the Wednesday night 8PM/8:30 combo.

• Sawyer says:

I really don’t understand why people have such a strong dislike of Whitney. It is a very funny show with great story lines and I LOVE Alex (Chris). Come on people, give it a chance.

12. Doug-H says:

If they measured my TV, I watched CSI live because I wanted to see Shue but right behind that was Revenge… No real surprise but it frankly is such a fun show… A great casting by CSI.. I just hope DB doesn’t fall into a romantic thing with her.. I like it better the way it is..

13. Rob R says:

These results just prove that reports of the death of “American Idol” were quite premature. The program single-handedly sent the power ABC lineup to season lows and Survivor to an all-time season premiere low.