Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, Once Upon a Time, Revenge, Smash, Justified and More!

Will NCIS bossman Gibbs get Freaky with Jamie Lee Curtis? What will a Revengeful flashback reveal? Is the doctor out on Once Upon a Time? Read on for those scoops, plus other teases from TV’s hottest shows.

NCIS | It’ll be a Freaky Tuesday next week when Mark Harmon reunites with Jamie Lee Curtis, who on Feb. 21 and then March 20 is guesting as Dr. Samantha Ryan of the PsyOps Division. Do we sense a possible spark? “Her character is sharp and funny and witty and determined,” series boss Gary Glasberg shares. “They’re going to have a lot of fun together.” Noting that Harmon and Curtis have known each other for years, and costarred in 2003′s Freaky Friday, Glasberg when I spoke to him was “excited about getting them on-screen together and seeing how that chemistry comes across.” The showrunner is quick to acknowledge, though, that since Gibbs has quite a history with redheads, “this is a departure from that — and yet I think people are going to find it engaging and fun.”

NCIS‘ Michael Weatherly Talks About Tony Meeting That ‘Kid in Baltimore’

Revenge | That fleeting “knowing” look between Nolan and Takeda at the Fire & Ice ball would suggest/confirm that the Internet titan has a revengenda not necessarily in line with Emily’s. And an “all-flashback” episode on tap for the back half of Season 1 may shed light on that. “You’re going to start finding out how Nolan went from a Pearl Jam-loving Seattle grunge musician standing outside of an Escalade with an infinity box to a Peter Pan-looking, popped-collar guy,” Gabriel Mann tells us. The reveal of that transition, he says, will directly inform Nolan’s recent antics — including but not limited to what he may have been up at behind Em’s back at the engagement soiree.

Revenge Recap: Relive the Killer Fire & Ice Ball, Plus Scoop on What Follows that Big [Spoiler]!

NCIS: Los Angeles | If what Shane Brennan teased as a part of this week’s Ask Ausiello made you a bit concerned for Hetty, allow me to balance things out what a scoop on a much lighter moment for the ops manager. In an episode filming this week, “We have a fun moment where Hetty is refereeing a game of basketball between the rest of the team,” Brennan tells me, barely able to hold back a chuckle. “I’m not go to give too much away, but it is absolutely hilarious.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS: LA and Kensi’s Big Backstory Episodes!

Once Upon a Time | Dipping into the reader mailbag, Macario wonders, “Do you know what the plan is (or was) for David Anders’ character on Once Upon a Time?” Well, what I know is that Dr. Whale will resurface in Episode 15 (approximately mid-March), when the show turns its focus to Little Red Riding Hood and, presumably, shiny li’l Ruby as well. But if you’re also wondering if Mary Margaret might return to “playing doctor” if she and David can’t get their predestined act together, rest assured — that “fling” has flung. As a source tells the Inside Line, “The thing about Dr. Whale is he can’t be tied down.” Hmm, is that a Pinocchio reference?

PaleyFest Update: The Once Upon a Time Panel’s Cast of Characters Is Revealed

Smash | What happens now for Karen Cartwright, having lost out the lead in Marilyn to Ivy Lynn? She’ll receive the consolation prize of being included in the musical’s ensemble, yet prove less than adept at taking a back seat to its star. “Not on purpose, but I get in trouble a bit,” Katharine McPhee shared at a recent NBC party. “I’m singing too loudly, I’m not blending in correctly, and I’m getting slowly but surely left out of the numbers, which is really upsetting.” And that’s not to mention any guff she gets from Ivy herself. When asked if her veteran chorus girl has any vicious moments, Megan Hilty promised, “I sure do, and it comes up really soon!”

Has Smash Really Cast Its Marilyn? ‘It’s More Complicated Than You Think,’ Says Exec Producer

Justified | Checking my Facebook wall, Farley posted, “OK, I need scoop after watching the last five seconds of this week’s Justified!” Ah, yes, the near-silent sequence in which, after a long day of exacting justice, Raylan went home to his baby mama Winona… only to find instead a note that visibly upset him. Let’s just say that the content of that missive will weigh on him heavily and constantly throughout the next episode, and ultimately lead the lawman to make a startling discovery about something Winona did in the not-too-distant past. I promise it’ll be a gut-punch as much for you as for him.

Lost Villain Sets His Sights on FX’s Justified

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (Additional reporting by Megan Masters)

Comments (40)

• Can’t wait to see Jamie Lee and Mark in action….I look forward to seeing spar with Gibbs….I have a feeling Gibbs is not gonna know what he’s in for when he meets her. :)

Comment by Marla – February 16, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think those dates are right for NCIS.

Comment by Donna – February 16, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Edited; it is Feb. 21 and March 20.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 16, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it says feb 12

Comment by serah – February 16, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Anders potentially being the big bad wolf? SOLD

Comment by JDHetherington – February 16, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have been saying THIS since his character was introduced. Something about his leering at Ruby in the episode when he and Mary Margaret went on a date. I was like, this dude is the Wolf. I cannot wait to see this.

Comment by the girl – February 16, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the basketball game between the NCISLA team. Hope Kensi or Hetty wins! ;))) It would be hilarious if it was Hetty who wins.
    Thanks for the NCIS LA scoop, Matt! Keep’em coming! Love NCISLA

Comment by alesig – February 16, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been waiting all season for Ruby’s story on Once. Thank god it’s finally on the horizon.

Comment by aunt_deen – February 16, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oooohhh! I am dying to know what happens on Justified. It’s as good as ever this season. Even if they did take away my beloved Kevin Rankin.

Comment by Mandy – February 16, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sob! Love Kevin Rankin.

Comment by Renee – February 17, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for NCIS. Can’t wait to see Jamie Lee Curtis with Mark Harmon again.

Comment by Steph – February 16, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, so that’s what happens to Karen on Smash. They still have her at the forefront of all the promos, so this lead thing is far from over I feel.

Comment by Danielle H – February 16, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see the grunge Nolan, Revenge is so sweet

Comment by Ilana – February 16, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes. i’m sold on anything related to Nolan. seriously. i’ll take anything.

Comment by jess – February 16, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on when AWAKE will premier?

Comment by Robin – February 16, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited for NCIS, I love Jamie Lee Curtis, can’t wait to see how her character and Gibbs work together!

Comment by kate – February 16, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you very much for the OUaT scoop!

Comment by Lisa – February 16, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m confused, NCIS on Feb 12? That wasn’t even a Tuesday… and did I miss Jamie Lee’s first episode somehow, or is that a typo?

Comment by Ashley – February 16, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Raylans baby?

Comment by Sandy – February 16, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have already checked out of Smash. I loved the premiere but I really don’t care about the non-musical aspects of the show.
    And yay for me for not reading the Justified bit. I still have not watched Tuesday’s episode. I can only hope it is as great as last week.

Comment by Pam – February 16, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Winona has left Raylen and he needs a shoulder to cry on, please have him contact me ASAP!! Thank you St Valentine…..

Comment by Ethel – February 16, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for JLC and MH to reunite on NCIS.
    The preview even shows how much chemistry they have.
    It’s amazing. I simply can’t wait for this. Been looking forward to it for a long time.

Comment by Svenja – February 16, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought all along that the baby is Winona’s husband’s and not Raylan’s.

Comment by Gigi – February 16, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is the girl on the bottom left corner of the picture ? Thanks

Comment by barcal – February 16, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Katharine McPhee, from Smash.

Comment by Claire – February 16, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samantha Ryan? Hahaha. Must be an inside joke.

Comment by Dave Keller – February 16, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t tell me that Winona’s baby dad is NOT Raylan….that is the only thing I can think that could have been in the letter. Unless she just doesn’t “want” to live the life that being a U.S. Marshall has…I want Raylan happy and kicking some butt.

Comment by joterri – February 16, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK…so this Justified thing has something to do with something Winona did in the recent past…it’s gotta be the stupid money she stole. It has to have something to do with that. The baby has to be Raylan’s, the timing is all off for it to be Garythedouchebag’s.

Comment by jbkr73 – February 16, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited for the Revenge episode that focuses on Nolan. I think he’s great, and it annoys me that Emily sometimes treats him like crap, but then is exceptionally nice when she needs something from him.

Comment by Andrea – February 16, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Winona had an abortion because she feels that it’s not the perfect time to have a baby with Raylan.

Comment by Mark – February 16, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking that or the babay is not Raylan’s. Either way letting him know through a letter is not cool.

Comment by MJ – February 17, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the scoop on JUSTIFIED, Matt!! :)

Comment by Farley – February 16, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything about ONCE makes this girl happy! Thanks for the scoop!
    Now if only Smash would be switched timeslots on CTV (is from Canada) then I could have Castle at a reasonable time! (Castle airs at 11 my time on ABC… *sighs*)

Comment by Julie – February 17, 2012 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! A Nolan spoiler!

Comment by Julia – February 17, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering the events of 200th episode , it wouldn’t be far fetched for Gibbs to stray away from redheads. Makes sense. Looking forward to seeing JLC and MH together again. Is she only on for 2 episodes?
    And what happened to Ducky’s lady-friend, Dr Jordan Hampton ?

Comment by Jerri – February 17, 2012 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the “Gibbs-redhead” thing was over a long time ago. Col. Hollis Mann was blond. Gibbs also made out with a blond woman who turned out to be the killer (season 2, episode 12).

Comment by Amanda – February 22, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why doesn’t ABC announce the schedule for the final six episodes of Revenge? Do you know the schedule?

Comment by Ralph Olsen – March 2, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post