Scoop: Malin Akerman Cast as Portia de Rossi's Sister in ABC Comedy Pilot The Smart One

Malin Akerman The Smart OnePortia de Rossi’s new TV family continues to grow.
Malin Akerman (Couples Retreat, Childrens Hospital) has been cast as the Arrested Development star’s sister in the ABC comedy pilot The Smart One, TVLine has learned.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

The single-camera project, which counts Samantha Who? co-creator Donald Todd and De Rossi’s real-life spouse Ellen DeGeneres among its executive producers, centers on dueling sisters Jude (“The Smart One,” played by De Rossi) and Candy (“The Dumb One,” played by Akerman).
As we reported earlier this evening, Jean Smart has been cast as their mother.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Justin says:

Isn’t she the one that shaved her eyebrows for some movie a while back?

2. Josh says:

You had me at Jean Smart..

3. Danielle H says:

The way she acts like she’s the perfect human being in every role gets to me. Bleh.

4. Lucy says:

Wait, now it’s a single camera project? Yes! It has backing from Samantha Who? Yay! Including Jean Smart? OMG, interest level has gone from 30 to 100%!

5. Carmichael says:

Portia de Rossi and Malin Akerman on the same show? AWESOME! Hope this one pans out.

6. Sammie says:

ABC doesn’t exactly have the best track record with comedies lately. I really hope this one breaks the trend and is successful. Sounds like it could be funny and it has a great cast!!!

7. soarin829 says:

Well, I went from a high (Jean Smart) to a low. Can’t stand Malin Ackerman one little, tiny bit.

8. E says:

Is it that difficult to make an å? I can give you a few for future use åååååååååååååååååå ÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅ…

9. Jason C says:

Who acts like the perfect human being in every role?! I’ve never seen any of these actresses play that role…

10. Jason C says:

Have you seen Modern Family, The Middle, or Happy Endings?! I’d say ABC is doing just fine with comedies…

11. Gwendolyn Gerardi says:

I’m so happy that Portia DeRossi is coming back to series T.V., but I’m not sure Malin Akerman is the right fit to play her dumb sister in her new sitcom called “The Smart One. I hope this show really gives Portia the chance she deserves to really shine and prove how truly talented she is as an actress!

12. tarc says:

Jean Smart as Mom? AWESOME. Malin Ackerman on the show at all? Nooooooooooooooo! Urggghhhhhhhhhh! Ick.

13. Jason Rey says:

I actually first fell for Malin Ackerman on TV – in the show that no one watched, the ironically titled The Comeback with Lisa Kudrow.
    Absolutely love Portia de Rossi from Arrested Development and the (also underwatched) show Better Off Ted.
    All that plus Jean Smart = me smiling. But I try not to get too excited during Pilot Season, since almost every show I like doesn’t get picked up.