Scoop: Malin Akerman Cast as Portia de Rossi's Sister in ABC Comedy Pilot The Smart One

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Malin Akerman The Smart OnePortia de Rossi’s new TV family continues to grow.
Malin Akerman (Couples Retreat, Childrens Hospital) has been cast as the Arrested Development star’s sister in the ABC comedy pilot The Smart One, TVLine has learned.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

The single-camera project, which counts Samantha Who? co-creator Donald Todd and De Rossi’s real-life spouse Ellen DeGeneres among its executive producers, centers on dueling sisters Jude (“The Smart One,” played by De Rossi) and Candy (“The Dumb One,” played by Akerman).
As we reported earlier this evening, Jean Smart has been cast as their mother.

Comments (15)

• Isn’t she the one that shaved her eyebrows for some movie a while back?

Comment by Justin – February 16, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You had me at Jean Smart..

Comment by Josh – February 16, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The way she acts like she’s the perfect human being in every role gets to me. Bleh.

Comment by Danielle H – February 16, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, now it’s a single camera project? Yes! It has backing from Samantha Who? Yay! Including Jean Smart? OMG, interest level has gone from 30 to 100%!

Comment by Lucy – February 16, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Portia de Rossi and Malin Akerman on the same show? AWESOME! Hope this one pans out.

Comment by Carmichael – February 16, 2012 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC doesn’t exactly have the best track record with comedies lately. I really hope this one breaks the trend and is successful. Sounds like it could be funny and it has a great cast!!!

Comment by Sammie – February 17, 2012 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I went from a high (Jean Smart) to a low. Can’t stand Malin Ackerman one little, tiny bit.

Comment by soarin829 – February 17, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it that difficult to make an å? I can give you a few for future use åååååååååååååååååå ÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅ…

Comment by E – February 17, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ÅÄÖ, aren’t we just awesome?

Comment by F – February 17, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who acts like the perfect human being in every role?! I’ve never seen any of these actresses play that role…

Comment by Jason C – February 17, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have you seen Modern Family, The Middle, or Happy Endings?! I’d say ABC is doing just fine with comedies…

Comment by Jason C – February 17, 2012 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy that Portia DeRossi is coming back to series T.V., but I’m not sure Malin Akerman is the right fit to play her dumb sister in her new sitcom called “The Smart One. I hope this show really gives Portia the chance she deserves to really shine and prove how truly talented she is as an actress!

Comment by Gwendolyn Gerardi – February 17, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Malin Ackerman can play dumb extremely well. She is hilarious on Childrens Hospital.

Comment by Todd – February 17, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jean Smart as Mom? AWESOME. Malin Ackerman on the show at all? Nooooooooooooooo! Urggghhhhhhhhhh! Ick.

Comment by tarc – February 17, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually first fell for Malin Ackerman on TV – in the show that no one watched, the ironically titled The Comeback with Lisa Kudrow.
    Absolutely love Portia de Rossi from Arrested Development and the (also underwatched) show Better Off Ted.
    All that plus Jean Smart = me smiling. But I try not to get too excited during Pilot Season, since almost every show I like doesn’t get picked up.

Comment by Jason Rey – February 20, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post