Scoop: Smallville's Kristin Kreuk Returns to The CW as Female Lead of Beauty and the Beast Pilot

Kristin Kreuk Beauty and the BeastThe CW’s Beauty and the Beast update has found a most worthy — one might say super — successor to Linda Hamilton: Kristin Kreuk.

The Smallville alumna has landed the female lead in the hour-long pilot, a reboot of the classic ’80s series that ran on CBS from 1987 to 1990 and starred Ron Perlman as the mythic man beast and Hamilton as the object of his affection.

The CW version, written and exec produced by Without a Trace vet Jennifer Levin and Brothers & Sisters‘ Sherri Cooper, will add a contemporized procedural twist.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

Reminder: This B&B is not to be confused with the B&B pilot that ABC is developing for next season. That one is based on the public domain fairy tale about a girl forced to live in a castle with a beast who eventually wins her heart.

Casting for Kreuk’s beastly leading man continues, so there’s still time to drop a few suggestions in the comments. And while you’re there, weigh in on Kreuk’s hiring!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. Dee says:

Ugh, there goes my interest in that show.
    It’s laughable that anybody would suggest or want Tom as the “beast”
    Those two actors had no real chemistry and like someone pointed out upthread, it was mostly awkward when they were together.
    Just hope they don’t decide to keep this show and sacrifice another show currently on the air (like Nikita or Ringer).

• reasonable fan says:

Don’t be jealous of Clark and Lana’s great chemistry. It makes you look like a petty shipper. I loved Lois and Clark best, but can still acknowledge that Tom and Kristin also had great chemistry together.

• judy says:

Jealousy? Chemistry is entirely subjective. Just because YOU think Tom and Kristin had great chemistry together it doesn’t mean that other people automatically will. People are entitled to their own opinions. I couldn’t see the ‘great chemistry’ either.

2. Aleana says:

I THINK SHE DO GREAT AS FEMALE LEAD HERE ARE SOME SUGGESTION FOR THE MALE LEAD MILO VENTIMIGLIA JAMES LAFFERTY ADAM BRODY OR CHAD MICHAEL MURRAY WHAT U THINK OF THESE ACTOR I REALLY WANT MILO VENTIMIGLIA AS MALE LEAD

3. Vannesa says:

WOO HOO!!! Glad to see another Smallville alumna back on TV. I would love to see Craig Horner or Kyle Schmid as the beast. Can’t wait to watch it. ;) :D

4. wooster182 says:

JASON DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!
    That is all…

5. yippy says:

they should cast Gerard Butler as the beast – he gave me the chills as Fantom

6. BROOKLYN says:

YEAHHHHH GREAT! The beautiful Kristin is back…..Tom Welling, she’s waiting her “Beast” !!<3

7. Risa says:

Well if they ever kill Klause (Joseph Morgan) on The Vampire Diaries, I think he might make a good Beast. He’s got that rugged look so he could do Beast, but when he eventually comes out of the beast look (and if they do flashbacks)he’s also handsome enough to be the handsome prince!
    And we know how that CW likes to recycle their pretty actors/actresses!

8. Nina says:

I’ve been rewatching episodes of Roswell on Netflix. Whatever about Brendan Fehr?

9. Angela says:

TOM WELLING!!!!!!!!

10. Sara says:

Not who I would have picked. Need someone with a gravely or deep voice for the beast.

11. Laura says:

She is a bad Choice she cant act at all. If it wasnt for tom and allison i would not have Watch smallville at all. I jump up and down with joy when she left smallville. Shes is very pretty and thats all she has going for her. (she might surpise me but i dobut it but ill give onE more chance out a millon)As well they might cast a really (really good) good male lead i might give it a go or ill just watch the other one they r making. i know It wont have as good of a chance staying on air because its abc but heres hoping.
    I must say thats y i like cw becasue they give there shows fighting a chance

12. SuperBeast says:

Tom Welling as the Beast! These two had a chemistry like I’ve never seen on TV, just look at all the fan made videos in Youtube.

• judy says:

You don’t watch much TV then! The Clark and Lana scenes really sucked the oxygen out of Smallville most of the time.

• ChrisGa says:

Never saw much chemistry with Clark and Lana on Smallville. In fact, the only person he had less romantic chemistry with was Chloe when they tried that on for size around season 2. Personally, I always thought Tom Welling was the weakest member of that show’s cast but apparently many mistook his lack of charisma as earnestness–it’s not the same–and overlooked it. Having said that, he did seem to come alive a little with both Erica Durance and Cassidy Freeman.

• Rory says:

Why do shippers have to act so ugly? You give us all a bad name. Leave the ugliness to Chloe fans and her shippers from now on OK? Clois fans used to be the classy ones, and I’d like to keep it that way!

• judy says:

What ugliness? Did the poster call Kristin vile names? (like hardcore Lana and Chloe fans would call Erica Durance). The poster just said that he/she thought Tom Welling is not a particularly talented actor. It’s his/her opinion. You don’t agree with it, fine, but don’t jump on your high horse. BTW, I think TW is a decent enough actor, but he’ll never win an emmy or oscar – but who cares – he’s gorgeous!

• hope floats says:

omg, here we go again with CLOIS fans trying to spew venom and change another totally unrelated topic to a shipper war because Kristin Kreuk played Lana Lang.. seriously, you need to get over yourself and just move on,,,
        obviously you have so much bitterness and venom towards CLANA in SV, which is PAST TENSE SHOW you know, and it bothers you to see people voting for Kristin Kreuk and Tom Welling again, so, why are you reading something that would only make you even more bitter???
        really? it only shows how desparate you are, as cloisers, though this is not the first time they try to ruin something unrelated!
        grow up!

• Kelly jo. says:

Yeah Pot the kettle is calling you black. give me an break Clana or Chloe’s fans they are the one to talk with their misogyny ways. on every article here about Erica or Clois you guys are there just to troll. and the person above mention Erica and Cassidy so i don’t think that can be considerate as Clois so all this arguments are invalid and pretty stupid.

• judy says:

Exactly! It was the clana and chlark fans who wrote the book on bitterness.

• Kristom says:

Really??? I was new to the Smallville forums and when I visited them all I could see was venom against KK from Clois fans. They even had several name callings for her. Meh. Not to mention when S8 was aired, they attacked KK personally. Oh…I also often checked KK’s news when she had a new project. Guess what? Some Clois fans said horrible things about her and even said they hated KK personally even when the news had nothing to do with Smallville. But yeah…you’re right…the pot calling the kettle black. -___-

• Kim says:

@kristom. Very convenient of you to not be around for season 4 of Smallville when Erica Durance first appeared. The more hateful of the KK and Allison Mack fandom spewed their venom toward ED for no other reason than that she was playing Lois. They even petitioned for her to get fired. Classy!

• Kristom says:

@Kim…Uhm…S4…interesting. So, it means in latter seasons, it gave the right for Clois fans to do the same thing, if not worse, to KK? Didn’t it make them look even more hypocritical? -___- Btw, I also read that many Clois fans had a petition to make Lana Lang get killed (died) in the show. *shakeshead* Anyway, it’s all in the past. I don’t know if Clana fans still attack Erica Durance now but I have never seen it again. But from what I know, Clois fans are still bitter about Lana Lang/Kristin Kreuk even after they said they had got what they wanted in Smallville relating to their pairing couple. They’re still tailing KK by coming to every news that featured KK in her new project just to spit their venom. :(( Btw, I’m done with this. I guess all we can do now is just sit and relax. Give KK a chance. She’s not the best actress but she’s a good one. She can definitely act. Hopefully, the show gets picked up & gets good ratings so we can see more of KK on TV. :)

13. judy says:

I loathed Lana Lang on Smallville, but Kristin Kreuk seems like a sweetie in real life, so I will wish her the very best for this show. I won’t be watching it though, since story line and set up sounds god-awful.

14. Anon R says:

Kristin Kreuk back on my TV? Yes, please.

15. iMeow says:

Would either of them please change the name?
    It is way too confusing.

16. QueenofHarts says:

Alright CW, now give JUSTIN HARTLEY a pilot, One that is a dead set to get picked up. How about casting him in the CULT.

17. Seth says:

Kristin <3

18. sarah moss says:

Tom Welling back on my Tv! Fantastic actor!!

• sandy says:

I agree, but if this is like the old Beauty and the Beast show, the actor will be all covered up. Tom Welling is honestly one of the best looking guys in Hollywood. It would be criminal to hide his face!

19. mary says:

I love TOM WELLING is a good actor!

20. Julie says:

lol… I may have not been a Chuck fan for that long, but I think it’s kinda cute that one of Chuck’s love interests is taking on a role that his mom did… okay random aside please!
    I will probably not be watching. I have one fairytale show and it’s ONCE. I just don’t get why suddenly we have all of those bunches of shows and movies about them. Is this the new vampire trend?
    Emily de Ravin (I hope I have her name right) has prooven to me that she is Belle on TV for me.
    Although my thoughts could change depending on who gets the roles of Beast and Gaston… ;)
    And this is on CW, so chances are it’ll play late in the week, most likely with Vampire Diaries on Thursdays… We’ll see just how busy I’ll be with watching other networks then.

21. nadia says:

Tom Welling is great and good in the role of villain. I want TOM on my TV!!!!!!!!>3

22. Jess says:

Tom Welling for beast!!

23. sara says:

if they want them to have chemistry= TOM WELLING!!!!

24. jay says:

Jason Momoa would be great for the beast.

25. Love and Devotion says:

Tom Welling, that is for sure,,, these two are just so fit and Tom Welling can play ruthless yet passionate and just. he is the most suitable to work with KK, they burn the screen with their chemistry …
    besides TW already has the fans, fang teeth, and the piercing blue stealy eyes, and he and KK have been the magic elixir before, why not now as well!

26. C says:

I think Kristin Kreuk has a lot to offer and will do a wonderful job in this role, she definitely fits the role of “Beauty”. And honestly, Tom Welling playing the leading man is not a bad idea, they definitely have the chemistry to make it work!

27. Kara says:

Kristin Kreuk & Tom Welling as Beauty & the Beast!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYY, it’s gonna be a FREAKIN’ SHOW ♥♥
    These two have the most STUNNING CHEMISTRY on screen.
    Kris & Tom will make an AMAZING B&B **HappyDance**

28. me says:

wow!! kristin is an amazing lady and a very talented actress!!

29. cathvin87 says:

I like Kristin, but the script is HORRIBLE! They should not promote this show as a re-make of the 80’s original B&B -Instead of the mysterious, poetic Vincent they’re grinding him up & spitting him out to be a genetically altered hairy super soldier playing Wii & drinking beer?! They really should change the names of the lead characters b/c this is not the Beauty & Beast I came to love -I’ll probably watch the pilot out of curiousity, but I’m not expecting much -I’m glad the original series came out on DVD!

30. Angie says:

=D Congrats to Kristin…but I must say, Linda Hamilton set the bar pretty high up!! ;)
    About Tom as Beast (Firstly, hell nooo! I want to see him back on my TV screen but not in that way), I think Mr. Welling will take a long break from TV series…but hey, who knows?(or IF he does something, he probably will do something more along the lines of directing or producing, and -hoping- as far away as he can from The CW).

31. Laina says:

Reading all these comment has made it crystal clear to me that the bulk of you don’t understand the wonders that make-up artists work. Saying that Tom Welling, who most definitely has my vote as the lead male role for this, is too pretty is beyound ridiculous. It also proves that all who are saying that haven’t even seen the old 80’s promo pics for ‘BATB’.
    It’s just as ridiculous as saying that you can’t see him or the lovely Ms. Kruek pull off such ‘gritty’ or ‘mean’ roles. It just leads me to believe that you’ve never or probably only ever watched maybe 3 episodes of ‘SV’ nor had you seen Kristin’s work as ‘Chun-Li’. Saying things like ‘you can’t see them playing this part’ is how viewers help in typecasting actors because they aren’t ever given the chance to prove otherwise to their viewers.
    I’ll be watching this show regardless of who they cast as the male lead because I’m excited to see Kristin back on tv. She’s super talented and a joy to watch no matter what role she’s playing. I will say though, that if Tom were cast as ‘Beast’, I’d make sure I’d never miss an episode.

32. me says:

I love Kristin but please NO tom welling!!

• judy says:

I doubt that Tom Welling would want to have anything more to do with the CW anyway, considering how the network shafted him with his show Hellcats, And why would TW want to play second fiddle after being the star of his own show?

33. arm says:

God, please, tell me it’s not true.

34. Lasha says:

I was excited for the remake of B&B, as I was a big fan of the original. I WON’T be watching now. Kristin Kreuk? What were the producers thinking? The girl cannot act! Stupid move, casting agents – she ruined Smallville.

• Kim says:

I’ve lost all enthusiasm too, and refuse to watch. I can’t forgive Kristin Kreuk’s poisonous fans for being so mean to Erica Durance all the time. ED and KK might be friends in real life, but I’m not as forgiving or tolerant as ED. Sorry.

35. Jen says:

Yeah, let’s get Tom Welling to play the Beast!!!!! He and Kristin Kreuk ruined Superman for me, so now they can ruin one of my favourite TV shows of all time. Go for it. Turn Catherine and Vincent into whiny eternally-adolescent self-obsessed brats. Bleah!

36. Harumi says:

@kristomI actually am a Cloisana/Clanois (I don’t know how else to call them lol)fan. I liked both couples -Clana & Clois-. The only petition of that sort that I remember and included SOME Clois fans was the one named “Stop the drama, kill the Clana” (and they asked SV’s TPTB to please end the Clana relationship -it had nothing to do with killing Lana’s character-. Sure there were some bitter ‘pseudo’ fans, but IMO it’s wrong to generalize fans because of a few trolls). And Kim is right. Erica Durance even had a bad experience with a ‘extreme fan’, who offended her, calling her names and everything. It’s really sad that some people still doesn’t see the difference between the actors/actresses and the characters they play. And I wish Kristin a lot of success, the same with all my SVgirls (Allison, Erica, Cassidy, Laura V., Anette, etc.) and my SVboys (Tom, Justin, Aaron A., Sam W., Alessandro J., John S., John G, etc.). PEACE!! :P

37. MJ says:

Would rather see Cassidy Freeman (Smallville’s Tess Mercer) as the Beauty.

38. Brenda says:

I would love to see Cam Gigandet as the Beast!

39. Mark says:

I wasn’t such a big fan of Lana Lang or Kristin Kreuk while she was still a part of Smallville. She really was beautiful, but her acting was only acceptable. From what I’ve seen in interviews and clips of her, she’s a very sweet woman. I’m willing to give her another chance, but I don’t expect to be blown away. I’m interested to see how this pilot goes.

40. Brandi says:

woohoo get tom welling

41. lanaluthor says:

GO KRISTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE BEST!!!!!!!!
    WE LOVE YOU IDOL!!! YOU ARE THE BEST ACTRESS IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!
    YOU ALWAYS WILL BE THE NUMBER ONE IN THE CW!!!!!!! BECAUSE YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!
    ED… KISS MY ASS!!! =D

42. Hiya very cool web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds also?I’m glad to find numerous helpful information right here within the put up, we’d like develop more strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

43. Chris Dodge says:

ron pearlman was perfect for the beast cus they didn’t need much make up…but i would say Tom hardy maybe…got the jawline for it