Exclusive: The L Word's Kate Moennig Joins Showtime's Ray Donovan Pilot

Liev Schreiber’s Showtime P.I. is getting a helping hand in the form of L Word alumna Kate Moennig.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Moennig has joined Showtime’s Ray Donovan pilot in the role of Lena, the titular sleuth’s edgy and intense “second in command.”

Second Friends Reunion Set for Showtime’s Web Therapy

Promising “a novelistic look at contemporary Los Angeles,” Ray Donovan stars Schreiber as a professional trouble-shooter who is regularly called on to solve the complicated, confidential and controversial problems of L.A.’s elite.

Other announced cast members for the pilot include Jon Voight as Ray’s father Mickey Donovan, Paula Malcomson as Ray’s wife Abby, Elliott Gould in the recurring role of Ray’s mentor and confidante, Dash Mihok and Marsan as Ray’s brothers, and Pooch Hall (The Game) as Daryll, a boxer in training.

Exclusive: The Big C Promotes Gabourey Sidibe to Series Regular

In addition to her run as The L Word‘s Shane, Moennig’s previous TV credits include Three Rivers and Young Americans. ON the big screen, she has appeared in films such as Everybody’s Fine and the upcoming Gone, opposite Amanda Seyfried.

Created and executive-produced by Ann Biderman (Southland), Ray Donovan begins production soon in Los Angeles.

Comments (29)

• The premise of this show sounds an awful lot like.the new Shonda Rhimes drama, Scandal. Although I’m sure this will be much edgier….

Comment by Ana – February 16, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And its on Showtime, so we might see some Liev Schreiber skin!

Comment by Russ – February 16, 2012 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just need Kate Moennig back on my TV. And the fact that it’s airing on Sho makes me squeal with joy. Seriously, Kate Moennig back on my TV nao.

Comment by Jessica – February 16, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen! I need me some Kate Moennig; it’s like I’ve been going through withdrawal, occasionally re-watching an episode of The L Word to get my fix.

Comment by Anna – March 1, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes Kate (my Shane) i love her i miss her ! i cannot believe L word is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by erika – July 17, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully this show can meet the standards that Veronica Mars and Terriers has set for the P.I. genre. Especially Terriers, FX dropped the ball on that one. To me its like if AMC had canceled Breaking Bad after the first season.

Comment by George Otwori – February 16, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to the new pilot. Ann Biderman never disappoints. Great line up of cast members! Very nice to see Ms. Katherine Moenning cast. She can deliver “edgy” & is an extreme talent.

Comment by Chapel – February 16, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate Moennig needs to get back onto our TV screens. She has a unique presence about her on screen…so unlike many Hollywood starlets today!

Comment by Peppermintpatty – February 17, 2012 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • K.Moennig back on tv: it was high time; can’t wait.

Comment by Lili – February 17, 2012 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Something about her reminds me of Kristen Stewart, which is not a good thing.

Comment by anonymous – February 19, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How dare you!
      You take that back, LOL!

Comment by Kaley – February 19, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not at all! Kristen stewart is a sad excuse for an actress.

Comment by Lindsey – February 21, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ur a sad excuse dumb ass! Kate Moening is by far one of the most unique, talented, sexiest actresses ive ever seen

Comment by erika – July 17, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right on! she’s a great actress and I look forward to seeing a new role from her.

Comment by Lindsey – February 21, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to see Kate back on tv. Miss The L Word sooo much!

Comment by Angel – February 21, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I Ditto your comments Angel.

Comment by Lori – February 21, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her.shes jst good n i look foward to seeing her in new movies.

Comment by Olivia alfred – February 21, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kristen stewart always looks like she’s about to throw up, and her speaking roles are limited. Kate has actual presence….glad to see her coming back :)

Comment by morris – February 21, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get it Kate! My wife and I loved you in The L Word…. look forward to seeing ya again. Congrats.

Comment by nikki – February 21, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t weight, love her sooo much! So cute!

Comment by amanda – February 21, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think old L Word fans should get so intensely excited. She’s a good actress, yes, but this isn’t Shane. So going into this missing the L Word will only set you up for disappointment. Particularly if they throw her in bed with a guy.

Comment by Taylor – February 21, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For the love of everything, please do not throw her in bed with a guy…

Comment by Anna – March 1, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ben cok büyük bi hayranıyım kate n hatta hastasıyım keşke tanışabilseydm sophbet edebilseydm onunla….kate moennigi flimlerde daha cok görmek isterdm, cok kaliteli bi oyuncu bence I LOVE kate:)))

Comment by shane – February 22, 2012 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think kate is so hot miss her in the lword im looking forward to seeing her sexy ass on tv again

Comment by danielle – February 22, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • moi aussi je veux voir son pettie cul

Comment by nafi sudan – April 11, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So good to hear! Kate is truely an extreay gifted actress and I’m hoping that Hollywood sees more of her. Not many actors/actresses can pull off work with such raw feeling through few words. A very inspirational woman. Bravo! xx

Comment by Charls – April 24, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dont care what she does in the new series! As long as she is on my screen she can practically do whatever. Kate on screen is better than no kate on screen. Even if they threw her in bed with a guy.

Comment by t – August 11, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love to see her again on my tv screen i miss her …. i fell in love with her character (shane)

Comment by nat – November 7, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post