Scoop: Eureka's Colin Ferguson to Star in Bill Lawrence's Fox Comedy Pilot Like Father

This just in: Colin Ferguson is the father of Cougar Town co-creator Bill Lawrence… sort of.

The Eureka leading man has landed the dad role in Fox’s Like Father, a single-camera comedy pilot inspired by Lawrence’s own relationship with his pa.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

The premise: When Van Lyons’ (Ferguson) wife dies, he shows up at son Will’s college campus for a prolonged visit, hoping to get his son to open up and get on with his grieving.

Lawrence penned the script and will direct the pilot.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Kat W says:

I find this very bittersweet. Sweet because Colin is AMAZING & deserves to be a big star. Bitter ’cause it’s more proof that Eureka is ending.

2. Rhiannon says:

I’m so sad Eureka is ending but happy to hear that Colin may end up another show!! He’s so great.

3. Modesty says:

Awesome news but I agree with the other posters – why did Eureka have to end?! Go Colin!

4. Keren says:

Yay Colin Ferguson!!

5. Carmichael says:

Like everyone’s saying, it’s kinda sad this shows that Eureka has run its course. Would like to see Erica Cerra wind up in something new, Jordan Hinson too.

6. Michael says:

If my father did that, I’d kill him. No question. HAHA, this sounds like a great premise and I look forward to seeing the pilot (if Fox picks it up).

7. Louise says:

This would be such awesome news if it didn’t mean that Eureka was really ending :-(

8. Dav says:

I was excited about the show anyway because I’m a big fan of Bill Lawrence but this is icing on the cake. I will definately watch now. I hope it gets picked up.

9. Linda F. says:

Fingers crossed! If I can’t have him as Jack Carter, sheriff of Eureka, on my screen, I just want Colin Ferguson somewhere, anywhere on my TV. He’s such a wonderful comic actor. He’ll be perfect in a quirky, Cougar Town-esque sort of show.

10. Eliza says:

I agree with others, so so sad Eureka is ending :(
    But am happy for Colin Ferguson.
    He is awesome!
    I’m a fan of Bill Lawrence as well. So, I will be checking this out.

11. M says:

Good. He’s too hot to not be occupying my TV somewhere.

12. Ben says:

I’ll echo what everyone else is saying… Terribly sad that Eureka is going away, but very happy for Colin Ferguson. Given how we’ve seen him play a dad in Eureka I’m sure he’ll do a bang up job with Like Father!