Scoop: Eureka's Colin Ferguson to Star in Bill Lawrence's Fox Comedy Pilot Like Father

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

This just in: Colin Ferguson is the father of Cougar Town co-creator Bill Lawrence… sort of.

The Eureka leading man has landed the dad role in Fox’s Like Father, a single-camera comedy pilot inspired by Lawrence’s own relationship with his pa.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

The premise: When Van Lyons’ (Ferguson) wife dies, he shows up at son Will’s college campus for a prolonged visit, hoping to get his son to open up and get on with his grieving.

Lawrence penned the script and will direct the pilot.

Comments (12)

• I find this very bittersweet. Sweet because Colin is AMAZING & deserves to be a big star. Bitter ’cause it’s more proof that Eureka is ending.

Comment by Kat W – February 16, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad Eureka is ending but happy to hear that Colin may end up another show!! He’s so great.

Comment by Rhiannon – February 16, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news but I agree with the other posters – why did Eureka have to end?! Go Colin!

Comment by Modesty – February 16, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Colin Ferguson!!

Comment by Keren – February 16, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like everyone’s saying, it’s kinda sad this shows that Eureka has run its course. Would like to see Erica Cerra wind up in something new, Jordan Hinson too.

Comment by Carmichael – February 16, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If my father did that, I’d kill him. No question. HAHA, this sounds like a great premise and I look forward to seeing the pilot (if Fox picks it up).

Comment by Michael – February 16, 2012 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be such awesome news if it didn’t mean that Eureka was really ending :-(

Comment by Louise – February 17, 2012 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was excited about the show anyway because I’m a big fan of Bill Lawrence but this is icing on the cake. I will definately watch now. I hope it gets picked up.

Comment by Dav – February 17, 2012 04:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fingers crossed! If I can’t have him as Jack Carter, sheriff of Eureka, on my screen, I just want Colin Ferguson somewhere, anywhere on my TV. He’s such a wonderful comic actor. He’ll be perfect in a quirky, Cougar Town-esque sort of show.

Comment by Linda F. – February 17, 2012 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with others, so so sad Eureka is ending :(
    But am happy for Colin Ferguson.
    He is awesome!
    I’m a fan of Bill Lawrence as well. So, I will be checking this out.

Comment by Eliza – February 17, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. He’s too hot to not be occupying my TV somewhere.

Comment by M – February 17, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll echo what everyone else is saying… Terribly sad that Eureka is going away, but very happy for Colin Ferguson. Given how we’ve seen him play a dad in Eureka I’m sure he’ll do a bang up job with Like Father!

Comment by Ben – February 17, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post