Vampire Diaries' Daniel Gillies on Elijah's 'Terrifying' Fate and 'Hell to Pay' With Elena

The Vampire Diaries Daniel GilliesOn The Vampire Diaries last week, witchy Esther set in motion a clever scheme to take down her dastardly son, Klaus: She bound all of the Original siblings together with a spell, so that if one of them were to be taken out, they would all die. This sort of mass annihilation would send panic into the heart of any fan of the CW series (airing Thursdays at 8/7c), but Elijah’s portrayer, Daniel Gillies, tells TVLine that he’s “never concerned” about his job security. “At this stage, I’m a veteran of death,” he quips. “I’ve died four time on this show alone.”

Vampire Diaries Boss Talks Offing Originals, Teases ‘Major Jeopardy’ for All by Season’s End

Mind you, that doesn’t mean Elijah is just going to lie down and give up. “Obviously, he’s not going to be terribly happy about” the spell, previews Gillies. “They’re now bonded in potential death. It’s going to be pretty terrifying.”

So much so that, if there’s one thing the usually moral vampire knows, it’s that now “[Esther] needs to be taken out,” continues the actor. Easier said than done, with a sorceress that powerful! But the Michaelson brothers – Elijah, Klaus, Kol and Finn – and sis Rebekah might be able to get the upper hand on Mom if they join forces. “When a collective of people know they could potentially die, it makes them powerful,” explains Gillies.

“I’m really eager to look at that kind of unity between them, because it’s exciting for me when I watch the Originals working together,” he adds. “They look like a new television show.” (Yes, he’s aware of the fans’ pleas for an Originals spin-off and says he’ll do “whatever they tell me. I’d love to be a part of something new like that.”)

Vampire Diaries First Look: An Original Battle

The Vampire Diaries Nina Dobrev and Daniel GilliesAs for Elijah and Elena’s blossoming friendship, “there’s going to be some hell to pay there,” teases Gillies. After all, she handed over her blood for the spell, which “led him to the gallows in a sense. She really didn’t hesitate to betray him.”

But perhaps the biggest threat to Elijah’s life is Gillies’ new TV project, Saving Hope, which “starts [filming] in a month or so,” says the actor. When we voiced our concern about what the potential new series means for his Diaries alter ego, he assured us that he could do both shows. “When I’m shooting [Saving Hope], it’s in the off season of The Vampire Diaries,” he explains, adding, “And I can always come back. … Wild horses couldn’t drag me away from The Vampire Diaries.”

1. rachelle says:

omg, I love him! We NEED The Originals to have their own show!

• Shellie says:

The Originals are the greatest attribute of the show in my opinion! I love their story and every member of the family is incredible. I want to learn as many finite details on them as possible. A spin-off centered around them would be the most amazing show to ever exist. -crosses fingers and prays that this is made real- Daniel Gillies is perfect as Elijah. I shudder to think of a reality if another played him! Elijah is flawless and beautiful and perfect. I adore him. I adore the Originals. The Mikaelsons need to stick around!!!

2. Ari says:

Color me relieved. As soon as I heard his pilot was picked up I was way concerned these would be the last days of Elijah. It must be awesome to have such a huge fan base of people rooting for your character! I can’t wait to see the Originals team up, especially Klaus working as part of a team.

3. Anon says:

Elijah is the best of the Originals. I’d be okay if all the others die because of Esther’s spell and the others die (although, I would miss Rebekah if that were to happen, hmm…).
    Can’t wait to see tomorrow night’s episode followed by the new episode of The Secret Circle where John Blackwell (played by Joe Lando) finally shows up!
    Can’t wait for tomorrow night!

• Dash says:

I’m kind of digging Kol. I will always first and foremost be Team Elijah but last week Kol was very interesting. I want to see more of him! I kind of love all of the Originals right now (except for Finn who is dull dull dull)

• cb says:

Where did you hear we get to finally see blackwell?

4. justlynn01 says:

This article makes me SOOOOO happy! To have Daniel on our screens as both Elijah in TVD and Dr. Joel in Saving Hope is the absolute BEST of both worlds! :D *happy dance*

5. Lisa says:

I love Elijah and would totally watch a spinoff of just the Originals!
    Also, can I please get an Elijah/Katherine hookup??? ;)

• jayla underbrink says:

i don’t think a thousand year old vampire should hook up with a 500 and something year old vampire.plus he likes loyalty.and from what i’ve seen katherine isn’t loyal

6. Cutremuruldin77 says:

Undomesticated equines ?

7. Michelle says:

Elijah and Klaus are my favorite Originals! I desperately want them on the show. Or a spin off. I just want Daniel and JoMo on my TV every week!

8. Susan says:

Love Elijah, great addition to the show and I hope he sticks around for a long time!

9. Nikki says:

I love Elijah! I hope he stays forever

10. David says:

Just don’t let Elijah be gone forever. I’d love him to get contract status. I mean come on Damon, Stephen and Elijah top billing. And now that we have established he was in love with the original ascendant that Katherine and Elena are Doppelganger to…oh what a web to be weaved…Keep Elijah!!! Daniel Gillies Rocks!

• Paz says:

I’m a little creeped out by the boys all loving the dopplegangers. I mean Katherine was Elena’s great great great grandmother. Both Damon and Stefan were in love with Katherine and are now in love with Elena. It’s kind of ishy.

11. Katrina says:

The Originals would be 1000% better than the CW programming Friday thru Wednesday. Provided Elijah and Klaus are included, of course.

12. ChrisGa says:

Daniel Gillies had me when, during an episode last season, Elijah responded to a speechless Elena with this little nugget–“I think the word you’re looking for is OMG.” Can you say PRICELESS? As for the other Originals, last week’s ep was the first time ever in which I actually had something resembling a positive feeling regarding Klaus; Joseph Morgan is aces but that character is pretty nasty so it’s nice to see him brought down to somewhat of a humane level by Caroline. And Rebekah I think fills that needed bitch-on-wheels void left by Katherine’s departure so I’d like her to stay on.

13. ripleyaeryn says:

Daniel Gillies for regular on season 4, please!!!!

14. Alex says:

His character is written and acted so well and completely what I’d expect of an original old world vampire. If they were smart they wouldn’t dare let anything happen to his character. Everyone was anticipating the casting of Klaus, but I think Elijah has overshadowed him.

• Mica says:

I love Elijah, but I love him and Klaus, what they are to each other, their motivation…and kinda the whole family, as the Originals. I wouldn’t like to have him without Klaus. For now I can live without the others, but I think that’s because we don’t know them yet. It’s been too soon. I think given enough time, all the Originals will get into our hearts.
      Obviously Elijah is the special one, but I really wouldn’t want him if Klaus was killed.

15. Lia says:

Daniel has made this role his own, I’d love it if Elijah got to stay, plus he’s got mad chemistry with Elena…. !

16. sarah says:

That would suck if he has to leave the show due to his new show…Elijah is the guy you love to hate!!!
    Plus a fellow Winnipeger I will always root for him!

• Ari says:

I don’t think I would ever use the phrase “love to hate” to describe my feelings for Elijah as a character. I just love him. He’s just so awesome and always has been.

• Michael says:

Klaus is someone you love to hate. Elijah is more layered and considerably more human than his brother.

17. Jeri says:

Love this show and I trust the writers to take me where ever they choose. They are all doing a wonderful job and all the comments proove it. Rather you or for or against the plot lines you have to admit the show is fasinating.
    I am do addicted!!

18. Renee says:

Yeahhh, Elijah is sticking around and mad with Elena, woo hoo. It gives me hope for my girl Bonnnie to hook up with him. ;)

19. Paul Penna says:

While I think a television series set in the present day about the originals would kinda step on The Vampire Diaries toes… what they could do which would be cool is to create a series set in the past which charts the history of the originals.
    That way they could include Mikael, Klaus’ werewolf father, the youngest brother – Henrik and even Tatia (Elena’s and Katherine’s ancestor which they are doppelgangers of).

• ST says:

I agree about the past element. But I think it’s very important to have both past and present. It would not step on the Vampire Diaries’ toes at all if done right. Obviously the Originals would have to go off to another town to establish their presence elsewhere. Mystic Falls wouldn’t be suitable for the setting of two TV series. But the Originals would go to another town as home base and the base for present time. Then have flashback episodes and parts of episodes in many different time periods. But I think it would be important to also be cemented in the present time as well. And the pluses of being set in present time as well would include being able to do crossovers and for TVD and the spin off show to borrow characters from time to time. Also when TVD goes off the air, some of TVD characters could be shown on the new show, at the very least as visiting – but possibly recurring. All in all the two shows could be a perfect companion series to each other.

• Luna Maya says:

I agree with you!! I think they should create 1 full season starting from 1000 years ago when Mikaelson migrated to unknown land etc etc… They present the first Tatia then she dies, and it goes further until the time of Katherine comes and Damon and Stefan also appear and the last episode of the season should be when Elena is born :D:D

20. ST says:

I just don’t understand from either a viewer or a business standpoint WHY someone hasn’t already had it in mind to pitch an Originals SPIN OFF? This is a very rare opportunity with everything lined up: a very dynamite powerful cast, wonderful and wickedly written and established characters already, an already built fanbase from TVD, and this would be the perfect companion show to Vampire Diaries. There could be crossovers on occasion between the two shows, as well as borrowing some of the actors for a time on each show. The new series has a huge wealth of potential – showing both present time as well as many different time periods with different Original characters. AND this would be the type of show with this phenomenal cast to appeal to many different demographics. You get the teen as well as older viewers pulled in that may not even watch many CW type shows. It would be extremely unwise to not capitalize on this golden prime opportunity. The dynamite cast alone (Daniel Gillies, Joseph Morgan, Nathaniel Buzzolic, Claire Holt, etc) and their chemistry together (not to mention popularity with TVD fans) is reason enough, let alone all the other incredible factors lined up right now. *chop chop* Time’s a’wasting.
    So my question is WHY hasn’t anyone begun to work on getting together to pitch the idea for an Originals spin-off?

• Completely agree with everything you said.
      *sits and waits for news on Originals spin off*

• Danielle H says:

Even though TVD is one of CWs biggest shows, I don’t see a spin off doing well for more then like half a season. Don’t get me wrong, TVD is my favorite show on TV, but sometimes too much of a good thing makes it a mediocre thing, you know? I don’t think the CW would do a spin off.

21. nightmagic says:

Elijah and Elenas scenes are so good and what a fantastic actor i hope he never leaves TVD !!!!

22. Isabelle says:

I’m one of those dying for a spinoff, the originals have captured me that I’m so rooting for them against everyone. Elijah is my favorite and its so nice to know he’s so loyal to the show. I want him to stick around and I dont care how it happens.

23. monica says:

Daniel is too old for the vampire daries. 37 years old!

24. addictedtotheoriginals says:

The Originals definitely need a spinoff! They are the only reason why I watch The Vampire Diaries. The show is nothing without them. Klaus is my favorite, but I love Elijah with all my heart, too. And Kol. And Rebekah. I also have a hope for Finn. They are all sooo magnificent :)

25. Kathy says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t want a spinoff? I mean first of all, I like the interaction between the originals and TVD cast. I’ve started to like this whole Klaus/Caroline thing, and I like all the fights and stuff cause it causes good drama. If they had their own show it’d be kinda boring.

26. R says:

I was sooo angry with Elena when she let Elijah drink. I mean…come on!!! What is wrong with her?! She was kind of a total jerk in the last episode. I hope there is a little hell to pay on her end for that, but I don’t want this to be the end of their friendship. They have too much chemistry.

27. Jones19 says:

Elijah is my favorite original, Daniel Gillies is brilliant.

28. Phyllis says:

The curse that binds them together, could also make them completely loyal to each other. They’ll protect each other so that none of them dies. This could possibly be the actual intent of Esther. Just because she told Elena she wants them all dead, doesn’t mean it’s true.

29. Susy says:

I agree that Daniel should be a regular for the next season! His perfect timing and delivery of one-liners are perfect compliments for Damon’s one-liners! Potential bromance!

30. Max says:

They really should keep him on the show, sorry but I had my issues with season 3 but what kept me watching was my anticipation for his epic return =D
    I’ll be so pissed if they kill him off tonight =(
    Make him a regular next season….pretty please ^^

31. Kat says:

Why does Elena have hell to pay — didn’t Elijah break his promise to her when he helped Klaus escape?
    And does anyone remember what Klaus did to Aunt Jenna? How can Elena be expected to forgive him for that? Pairing him up with Caroline doesn’t undo all the chaos he has unleashed on Mystic Falls.