Ratings: Cougar Town Uncorks Smaller Audience Upon Delayed Return, Ringer Plunges

Cougar Town‘s Season 3 premiere, which after sitting on the shelf for so long was met with grape expectation by its fans, wound up drawing 4.8 million total viewers on Tuesday night, while scoring a 1.8 demo rating with the coveted 18-49 crowd.

That marks a drop of 4 and 10 percent from the comedy’s hour-long Season 2 finale, which of course aired on a Wednesday, leading out of Modern Family. The demo number also is, sadly, a series low.

For further comparison’s sake:
Cougar Town Season 3 premiere: 4.8 million total viewers, 1.8 demo rating
Cougar Town Season 2 finale: 5 mil, 2.0
• Cougar Town
Season 2 premiere: 8.4 million, 3.3
Work It premiere: 6.1 mil, 2.0
Work It‘s final broadcast: 4.9 mil, 1.5
Man Up! premiere: 7.8 mil, 2.4
Man Up!‘s final broadcast: 4.8 mil, 1.6

But as CT boss Bill Lawrence expressed via Twitter, there is hope for a bump once Glee enters its seven-week hiatus after next Tuesday’s episode.

Plus, overall TV usage was down 7 percent because of the holiday some of y’all got to celebrate.

Another case in point: Glee didn’t feel much Valentine’s Day love, dropping 15 percent in the demo to a season-low 2.8. Lead-out New Girl was also down, 9 percent, to an all-time low 3.2. Raising Hope, however, held steady with a 2.1.

NCIS, with 19.4 million total viewers and a 3.9 rating, dipped 7 percent week-to-week yet led the night on both counts, while the baddest news was received by The CW’s Ringer, which drew barely a million total viewers (down 10 percent) and plunged 40 percent in the demo (to a 0.3).

Elsewhere:

* Setting the table for Cougar Town, Last Man Standing (7.6 mil/2/2) was down a few percentage points.

* Both NCIS: Los Angeles (16.1 mil/3.2) and Unforgettable (11 mil/2.3) gained a tenth in the demo.

* ABC’s The River (5 mil/1.7) build on Cougar Town‘s audience but sank 34 and 29 percent from its premiere.

* In the 10 o’clock hour, Body of Proof (6.16 mil/1.2) fell more than 20 percent to place third in the demo behind Parenthood (which was flat at 4.44 mil/1.6).

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

1. lama says:

this means it gonna be canceled right?? there is no way ABC will keep airing a serie with low rating!!!!

• Snapy says:

I hope not. If they can maintain this audience, it’ll survive.

• tim says:

There’s no way ABC will keep this show at that low of a rating whether it maintains this audience or not. It didn’t look like it would even come back this year. They didn’t have much confidence in it or it would have been treated better. Most importantly, it has to be terribly expensive to produce when you consider the ratings. $$$$$,ABC will cancel it unless it amazingly builds an audience soon! I enjoy the show and will miss it! If it was on NBC, a steady audience of the above would cut it these days but it’s not.

• Snapy says:

NBC could pick it up if ABC cancels it.

• Mike says:

Now wouldn’t that be ironic? NBC cancels Bill Lawrence’s Scrubs which was owned by Disney. ABC revives it to give it a proper send-off (and an extra season we’d rather not talk about). Then ABC potentially cancels Bill Lawrence’s Cougar Town and NBC picks it up?
            Even if you are honestly thinking that, you’d have a great career in unintentional comedy. (Wouldn’t want to get in another argument with you about truth vs. sarcasm or anything)

• David says:

NBC could pick it up and play it right after Community!!…im not joking or being ironic…they would fit each other and be 100% better than weds with Whitney and Chelsea Handler dragging me down.

• Mike says:

In a dream world, that would be great if those 2 shows were on the same network and were able to stay alive on the low ratings. I just thought it was funny that NBC was the suggested network to move it to after all the drama Bill Lawrence had with Scrubs. lol

• J says:

Would you have confidence in a show that bled 40percent of viewers during season 2?
          I don’t know of a tv exec that would.

• Snapy says:

The quality of Cougar Town speaks for itself. Any network would be happy to have Cougar Town because it’s the funniest, best comedy on television.

• Kate says:

Not necessarily. Bill Lawrence did an interview with EW and said they fully expected todays numbers to be low. Between the hiatus and a Valentines day return it had some obstacles. He said the true test would be what the numbers are like 5 weeks from now. Given how ABC has toyed with the show I think they are going to give it time. I don’t think ABC is doing them any favors by pairing it with Last Man Standing though.

• Snapy says:

If ABC wants to make Tuesday night comedy happen, they need to pair Cougar Town and Happy Endings. They are a much better fit than Last Man Standing/Cougar Town or Modern Family/Happy Endings.

• Ari says:

They need to bump The Middle to Tuesday and move Cougar Town back to Wednesday. It seems so obvious to me that you would pair The Middle and LMS together and Cougar Town, HE, and Suburgatory together. I don’t understand why ABC doesn’t see it.

• Snapy says:

Because they are dumb. They bumped Cougar Town last year for Matthew Perry’s lame sitcom, remember> CT deserves its post-MF timeslot back!

2. rob60990 says:

Cougar Town sure does miss airing after Modern Family. :D

• Snapy says:

ABC is dump for moving it. Wednesdays at 9:30 was a great slot for Cougar Town.

• rob60990 says:

Um no they weren’t. ABC needs to take advantage of that post Modern Family timeslot instead of propping up a huge flop.

• Snapy says:

CT isn’t a flop, it’s the funniest comedy on television.

• Amelia says:

I disagree…Courtney Cox is just trying to regain half of the status she had with Friends..I have watched Cougar Town but the more I watch the more I see them trying to make a comedy that really isn’t that funny.

• rob60990 says:

Cougar Town is not funny. A bunch of 40 year olds who act like they’re 12 who sit around and drink wine.

• Amelia says:

Poor Snapy, I feel sorry for you. I was just expressing my opinion, to resort to name calling, well that just says a lot about your character.

• rob60990 says:

There’s something wrong with my brain? The show is not funny and millions of viewers that tuned out of the crapfest that is Cougar Town agree. The series premiere had Cox’s character going down on a young guy she just met and her son walking in on it. DISGUSTING.

• ed says:

people that didnt see the 1 complete season should not be allowed to comment about a whole series.

• Mike says:

Here are the better comedies:
            MF
            HIMYM
            TBBT
            Community

• Snapy says:

Mike, Rob, and Amelia, you are all sad, unintelligent people who don’t get Cougar Town’s brilliance. Please do us a favor, go watch Sesame Street and educate your dumb selves. Bye bye now! :D

• Amelia says:

Oh Snapy is that the best you can do?

3. Snapy says:

Damn you, ABC! Cougar Town is the funniest, best comedy on tv and deserves a bigger audience!

4. João Amaral says:

WTF America? WTF?

5. BUT says:

It was Valentine’s Day. Not exactly the best day to get casual viewers. These numbers are not what I was hoping for.

6. Jemma says:

“Grape” expectations. Heh heh. Love the pun.

7. JJ says:

I hate you ABC! C’mon guys! Watch the best show on TV despite the name! Hopefully ratings will soar when Glee goes on hiatus!

8. JOsh says:

Still got more in the demo….AND isn’t a critic pariah…AND has a cult following…Not too worried….(That’s a lie)

9. Denise says:

Oh crap…too long of a break can screw up a show’s mojo. For shame ABC!

10. Amber says:

I’m sure they’ll blame it on the title again. Everyone in the U.S. knows it isn’t about cougars. But they keep blaming it on the title. It’s a great show. But people just don’t want to watch it. It’s not the cast’s fault. They are hilarious.

• DB says:

I agree. Why didn’t they just change the title already! the passive aggressive title card gag is getting old, we get it, nobody wants to call the show “Cougar Town,” so why didn’t they just change the title this season after the ridiculously long hiatus?
      A new title might get more attention, and it’s not like the fans would missed it because we all know they wanted a title change… i think the whole situation is just mishandled.

11. ChrisGa says:

Let’s get real here–if ABC had any real faith in the show it wouldn’t have delayed it’s return til midseason(and stuck it behind LMS, which is a terrible fit stylistically). Fact is, despite a cast and writing that’s pure gold, it’s never been anything more than a moderate success on it’s best week. It got two seasons following Modern Family and didn’t seem to get anywhere ratings-wise(esp. last season); I think Happy Endings, itself no great shakes in the ratings compared to ABC’s other Wednesday comedies, still gets two or three million more viewers than CT did in that slot last year. Personally, I think ABC will probably burn off whatever episodes they ordered for this season and be done with it.

• Ari says:

They also pulled it from the air last spring for 12 weeks to air Mathew Perry’s show that was cancelled. ABC has treated Cougar Town really badly. If they cancel I do hope NBC picks it up. I think Cougar Town would make a good fit to the Thursday night lineup, especially if they retire 30 Rock and The Office (which they should because both are kind of ho-hum at this point)

12. Snapy says:

I hope NBC picks up CT if ABC drops it. NBC is a dying network and these numbers are good by their standards.

13. kevin says:

Cougar Town’s return has gotten off to a modest start in its season premiere. Don’t know what the future will hold on the hit sitcom and NBC better bring back Community sooner rather than later. On the plus side, I was shocked during last night’s Parenthood about that “ending” with the return of (SPOILER ALERT).

14. XK says:

Ugh. I had no idea it was on last night, given that I don’t watch anything else on ABC. Looks like I’ll have to find the episode online to watch.

15. arielle says:

It was Valentines Day! Most people have better things to do then watch TV on Valentines Day. There is no way to know how the show will do without giving it a few weeks.

16. ed says:

it was valentine’s day! it’s america! a lot of people get out with their friends, girl/boyfriend. Consumerism Alert! this ratings were low because of the day. next week, rating will be better. i hope so

17. Pam says:

I do not watch CT but did watch Raising Hope and it was the funniest, and sweetest, episode of the series!

18. Juan says:

Just depressing best comedy and last night episode was the best, let’s hope it goes back up next week without valentines day

19. paula says:

Pair Happy endings with Cougar Town, and will be gold. And, please don’t cancel it… I love CTown. If you do, devil baby of Callie and Andy will hunt you forever

20. ladyhelix says:

Dear Networks,
    Take shows away for an extended (absurd) period of time – and we will stop watching (or not care much when they come back). Don’t jerk our chains – you no longer have us where you want us. We’ll just wait and watch them at our speed on DVD/hulu/xfinity/netflix/etc. – where you CAN’T dink around with us. Ba-bye!

21. Rolfe says:

Sad to see Ringer get that low. I guess I’ll just enjoy the last handful of episodes, and pray SMG gets something new. Also, kinda okay if it gets cancelled after they ripped-off Wild Things last night…

22. annabelle says:

I thought it was going to be on Wednesday and planned on watching…..

23. Liz says:

Cougar Town is the funniest show on TV. It was Valentine’s Day, awareness still needs to build, and it was opposite Glee. Let’s see what happens once more people discover Cougar Town is back and Glee goes on hiatus…hoping for the best for my favorite show!

24. Little Scarf Girl says:

I personally don’t watch Cougar Town, but I agree that last night is hardly fair to base future ratings on. It was off the air for ages, and came back on Valentine’s Day. I have a feeling it will perk up. I also agree that Modern Family/Last Man Standing and Cougar Town/Happy Endings would make better companions, but the latter two are the ones that are struggling in the first place. So I’m not sure how well they’d do together.

25. sarah says:

Very sad that Ringer was so low. It was the best episode of the season
    Also sad that Parenthood was down viewers it was a great episode

26. alan says:

Everyone was out for vday

27. Fernando says:

Forget Cougar Town Save Body Of Proof, move it to Sunday’s next fall

28. LOL says:

Wow, it did worse than the premiere of Work It. That is just hilarious.

29. CJ says:

ABC isn’t very bright to begin with as cougar town doesn’t fit with last man standing. Nor did it fit with modern family. I like the idea of pairing the middle with last man standing. Actually happy endings ratings are down from cougar town’s from last year while modern family’s is up. I think ABC is just wanting to dump cougar town like they did with the very funny better off Ted which would’ve been a perfect pair with modern family more so than with scrubs.

30. Justin says:

Aw, man. Cougartown was hilarious last night! Love that show! I also really like the River.

31. Eliz says:

I didn’t even know it was premiering last night. Granted I’m more of a fan of other fan’s passion, but still ABC hasn’t bothered to promote it.

• DB says:

they HAVE been promoting it. i saw their ads on their golden Wednesday comedy block. and Cougar Town has such a passionate internet following that it was mentioned on all the TV blogs I’ve read for the past week, with interviews from cast and creator.
      I’m so sick of fans always blaming the network when they themselves don’t seek out the shows they supposedly love.

32. postman says:

couger town is funny but it is a fantesy with all that drinking there would be problems. take it for what it is a cartoon with people

33. Amy says:

I’d hope it will get better next week. It was such a good episode. I felt badly I couldn’t help ratings and watch live this week, but I’ll be there next Tuesday and every Tuesday till it is over (which is hopefully a long way off).

34. Andrea says:

Poor Ringer. Sigh.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, hopefully it will at least survive the season so they can tie every thing up with a series finale but it’s definitely a goner beyond that(and frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was cancelled before it even reaches the end of season).

• Danielle H says:

Would have been a different story if everything they started the season with was wrapped up by now. Viewers don’t want to wait that long. I said goodbye to it and didn’t even watch the episode I deleted last night.

35. Taylor says:

I personally like CT its very funny why is it that the funny shows get low rateings like parks and rec its so funny (its a shame!)

• ed says:

because people cant understand good and intelligent jokes. Community, cougar town and park and rec are the best. funny, intelligent and brilliant, but people probably cant understand the jokes and call them boring

36. Emi says:

I absolutely LOVE Cougar Town, and will be extremely disappointed if it is canceled. I really wish there was a way to help it, other than tuning in.

37. Stephanie says:

Loved CT last night! It was good to have them back.

38. Amely says:

On another note… LOVED Raising Hope last night! The play that Jimmy did for Sabrina was so sweet :)

39. MaxPedraja says:

Y u no watch the show live, and stop being a bit** about the show being low in ratings, the same thing happened to Chuck, eby was talking about it online, but not watching live!

40. Juan says:

Wait, they bumped it to Tuesday?
    ABC, WTF?

41. Dee says:

Ugh, I can see where they are taking the rest of the season of NCIS in regard to Tony.
    His ex is back and now he will have to decide who he wants to be with at the end of the season.
    Give me a f**** break.
    If that happens the show will definitely be over for me. I will NOT tune in to watch that bilge.

42. Loc star says:

Great show …. Love it …… Glad it’s back , don’t know what abc execs were thinking by keeping it off the air for sooooo long ….