Pilot Scoop: Kal Penn Joins ABC's Prairie Dogs

Kal Penn (House, How I Met Your Mother) has joined the cast of Prairie Dogs, a comedy pilot being developed for ABC.

Penned by That ’70s Show‘s Jackie and Jeff Filgo, the show follows an uncool cubicle worker — aka “prairie dog” — named Neil who is the victim of identity theft. Said corporate drone ultimately discovers the thief created a much more fulfilling life with his identity than he ever did — and thus he engages the con man to help him improve his prospects.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

Penn will fill the role of Neil, the identity theft victim. Thus far SNL alumna Michaela Watkins also is on board for the pilot.

ABC’s other comedy pilots in the pipeline include American Judy (starring Judy Greer), The Smart One (Portia de Rossi), White Van Man (with Kyle Bornheimer and JK Simmons), How to Live With Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life (Sarah Chalke), Malibu Country (Reba McEntire) and two untitled projects fronted by Mandy Moore and Jami Gertz, respectively.

1. Katy says:

That is an exact episode of Friends made into a tv show………the one where that exact senario happens with Monica!! However, That 70s Show is one of my fave comedies ever so………hhmmmmmmmm……………….

2. Ash says:

If his stint on HIMYM is anything to go by, Kal Penn is a terrible comedic actor. I have always preferred his dramatic roles.

3. David says:

Please, please, please tell me this means Kal Penn will be written out of HIMYM. Not only is he a terrible comedic actor (agree with Ash) but there is no chemistry with Robin at all.

4. bleach says:

Kudos to Kal Pen. I’ve enjoyed everything he’s done – with the possible exception of HIMYM. But look up ‘Prarie Dogging’ on urban dictionary.com, then come back and tell me this not an unfortunate, snicker-inducing title.

5. Jules says:

I’m not interested!
    Only if he return for the last episode of [H]ouse…where Kutner’s ghost help our/only favorite sarcastic limping jerk enter the gate of heaven gracefully(if House died of course)…

6. Danielle H says:

YAY! Harold and Kumar are some of my fav comedies. Can’t wait!

7. Heather_kaye says:

That was the very first thing I thought! Certain channels have been airing that ep constantly…maybe they want to put that energy out there…

8. Cool! I like Kal Penn (although yes, I also got sick of his character on HIMYM because his relationship with Robin made no sense), and would be interested in checking this out. :)

9. Emilie W. says:

I am not optimistic, as the story line sounds very weak.