Criminal Minds Shocker: Paget Brewster Quits!

Paget Brewster Criminal MindsPaget Brewster is getting out of the serial killer biz — for real this time.

The actress is leaving Criminal Minds at season’s end to pursue other projects.

“After six wonderful years playing Emily Prentiss, I have decided it’s time for me to move on,” Brewster (whose Minds’ deal expires in May) said in a statement to our sister site, Deadline.com. “As much as I will miss my Criminal Minds family, I am excited about the future and other opportunities.”

Per Deadline, Brewster’s decision to leave came after CBS and ABC Studios denied a request she made to enter pilot season with the hope of landing another half-hour comedy project. Last year she was cast in NBC’s My Life as an Experiment, which did not get picked up to series — paving the way for her to return to Minds this season (something Brewster was not entirely happy about). “I had another year on my contract that I didn’t know about,” she recently told TVGuide.com, “so I had to come back! I said, ‘Hey, I kinda want an apology and maybe a raise.’ And they were like, ‘No, we’ll sue you!’ The whole thing was, unfortunately, a mess. It was dumb.”

“We were all sad to hear the news, but we respect and support any decision Paget wants to make,” Minds‘ showrunner Erica Messer said. “Personally, I’m a huge fan and will continue to be one wherever she goes.”

Brewster’s co-stars, Thomas Gibson, Joe Mantegna, Shemar Moore and A.J. Cook, have already inked deals for a potential Season 8.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News

1. Castle Lover says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

• Maria Lafferty says:

All things come to an end sooner or later. She will be missed as a part of the show but they will fill her slot with another great person I wish her luck in what ever she has planned.

• Taryn mac says:

Criminal minds is my alltime favorite show and I dont know how the show will go on without her but I know that she is a fantastic actress and all the best to you in your future!!

• Brendan says:

Exactly. This is definitely bad news, I love Paget Brewster and I love the character, but I trust the writers to keep the show going strong. It was still good in season 6 after losing two of the central characters, it will still be good after this. Prentiss herself came on mid-ride as a replacement for Elle, so hopefully whatever new character they introduce to fill her spot is just as strong. This is the same crew that created Reid, JJ, Gideon, Hotch, Morgan, Garcia, Elle, Prentiss, Rossi, and Seaver (all entertaining characters IMHO), so I’m sad to see her leave, but excited to see what’s next.

• GINA BERG says:

THEY DID NOT REPLACE HER WITH A GREAT CHARACTER. I THINK THE GAL THEY HAVE ON THE SHOW NOW JUST DOESN’T GEL WITH THE REST OF THE PEOPLE. SHE DOESN’T HAVE THAT PRENTISS AIR OF CONFIDENCE, YET CARING TYPE OF DEMEANOR. THEY NEED TO FIND SOMEONE WHO REALLY FITS IN. I THINK SHE TAKES AWAY FROM THE SHOW. ALSO, I THINK THE COMPUTER GAL IS TOO CARTOONEY. SHE IS NOT BELIEVABLE AND WHEN ASKED A QUESTION, IT’S FUNNY HOW THE COMPUTER ANSWERS IT BEFORE SHE IS FINISHED TYPING. AND WHO IN THE FBI WORLD WOULD REFER TO ANY OTHER FEMALE EMPLOYEE AS “BABY GIRL.” THE SHOW IS GREAT, BUT WHEN THIS GAL, DRESSED LIKE MISS PIGGY, COMES INTO THE PICTURE IT JUST IS NOT BELIEVABLE. OTHERWISE I THINK IT’S A GREAT SHOW. SHE IS A PRETTY GAL AND IF DRESSED PROPERLY AND SLOWED DOWN, THEN I THINK SHE WOULD BE BELIEVABLE. BECAUSE IN THE REAL WORLD OF INVESTIGATION I DON’T BELIEVE BABBLING GETS YOU ANYWHERE

• Criminal minds fan shayla! says:

All I have to say is ‘alex blake’ is not good and does not make criminal minds better:/ she no way matches prentiss:/

• Devri says:

Nooo and yes, Criminal Minds is one of my favorite shows, but if you’ve ever seen The Thrilling Adventure Hour (or listened to their podacst) you know that Paget really has a gift for comedy too. I would love to see her in a sitcom!

• Jax says:

Oh YES! She is hysterical on the Thrilling Adventure Hour! (and was pretty great in Andy Richter Controls the Universe.) She has a real gift for comedy and I hope she gets a show fast!

• Tofa says:

Absolutely! Her talent is(was) rather wasted on Criminal Minds. A woman that hilarious should be doing comedy, not droning away on a crime procedural.

• Anne says:

My thoughts exactly.

• Saint Alicia says:

Perfectly put. Stopped watching the latter part of season 6 when she was gone and now I can quit for good. CM won’t be the same.

• Gia says:

Sad. Love her. :(

• lorna says:

I watch the reruns but plan to catc hup on the past couple of seasons. IMO they should have just kept her ‘dead’ instead of faking it. It is her choice, but still…BS…she’ll be back I think, she tried this last year and returned.

• Saint Alicia says:

She didn’t “try” anything (this year or the last) and I highly doubt it’s “BS.” Paget was just in contract renegotiations (therefore, arguably, she wanted to continue), so some outrageous shenanigans must have gone down for her to up and quit (she only informed the producers that she was leaving yesterday).
        Though the bad blood between Paget and the network/studio is well-documented, she’s never had anything but love for the writers/cast/crew/fans. I can’t see her throwing a wrench in everything, especially so late in the game, unless CBS/ABC Studios was jerking her around again. After all, CM’s writers have/had already planned out the rest of the season through the finale. They were supposed to be “going out on something very nice this year, something different from the usual grim and terrible” (per Thomas Gibson). Considering they now have to write out Prentiss, they probably will need to scrap that ending.
        And despite what some are saying about Paget wanting to leave since last year, I suspect she probably would have continued with the show if the network/studio wasn’t so adamant about screwing her over. If she had wanted to leave all along (and since everyone knew her contract was done after this season) why not give the show/writers a heads up sooner? Moreover, in a recent chat she was just talking about how she and MGG wanted CM to introduce Prentiss’ father in the future (their ideal candidate was either John Waters or David Lynch). This sudden departure just doesn’t jive with everything else that’s being going on; the sh-t must have hit the fan while renegotiating. So f-ck you very much, CBS/ABC Studios.

• charlie says:

Girl leaves show that went to crap many seasons ago. There is still plenty of predictable TV where cast members take turns giving us a line til everyone’s had a shot. Sure it is awful formulaic TV but there is still a lot of it. Almost nothing but since US audiences are freakishly easy to please. So I fail to see the problem.

Let me see, token black guy, CHECK, weekly predictable formula CHECK one note characters CHECK
      As i see it we still have nothing but that as the US audience is mentally satisfied with this crap.

If you have not had a chance perhaps Columbo, the first 2 seasons of NCIS…Most of Midsomer Murders or inspector Lewis, and even the Original The KIlling (not the crap US version) offer much much much better crime drama.

Then again I expect this would confuse US audiences as Something decent may expose themselves to the idea they have been satisfied with banal predictable TV!

2. xav says:

Damn. I guess she really was pissed about being forced leave and forced to come back.

3. dan says:

After all the buzz for having her back she just walks away? i’m sorry, but this is ungrateful, why bother to come back?

• xav says:

She was very openly unhappy about being forced to leave the show and finding out on twitter. Then being being forced to come back with little choice in either decision.

• Tarc says:

TPTB on Criminal Minds really seem to be out of their depth when working with their talent. They clearly totally messed up and rooked her out of another job, and they couldn’t even be bothered to apologize – or hey, just buy her a car or some bonus bling. There have been other problems with other people as well. She’ll be better off getting far away from those folks.

• Q says:

Yeah, I got the distinct feeling she didn’t want to come back in the first place. She implied that on Twitter and then later said in an interview she was forced back because of an extra year on her contract.

• JC says:

Ungrateful? Doesn’t sound like she had much of a choice. The show wanted to save a buck and tried to ditch her and Cook and brought in the combo girl (who I actually didn’t mind). When they had viewer backlash they exercised the option to bring her back because she had another year left on her contract and her pilot wasn’t picked up.

• Nina says:

I totally agree. Sure she must have other projects in mind, but after all the fans went through to get her and A.J back she’s just going to walk away. nasty.

• Dash says:

Normally I would agree but it doesn’t sound like the TPTB were treating her very well. Why would she continue to be jerked around? She’s a person just like everyone else who just wants a job that she can enjoy and find challenging. She can’t win in this situation. If she had broken her contract she would have been sued and called ungrateful! Now she has fulfilled her duties, and is walking away from a group of people that have shown her very little respect as a working professional.

• Janine says:

Yea I agree. The wrote that whole story line last season to write her out and it was one of the best character arcs and exits on the show in its entire run. Then they go ahead an immediately negate months of storytelling t allow her to return and then she just walks away. I guess it will be easy to write her out, she can just say she can’t cope after what happened to her, but its really ungrateful and will make for kind of a stupid story.

• Mandy says:

I think you all need to go back and re-read the articles again. CBS treated Paget and AJ like S**T! They dumped them for no reason and then forced Paget to come back when she had already made up her mind to go somewhere else. I think CBS is the abuser here and Paget is lucky to be rid of them. It sucks because I love her character on the show, but I don’t blame her at all.

• dee123 says:

She had to moron it was in her contract. Read the thing above.

4. Amber says:

What!!!!!! Fail!!!!!

5. Jae says:

She left last year because of her pilot but came back because it didn’t get picked up…and now she’s leaving again?! My heart can’t handle this :C I hope AJ Cook stays at least.

• Kvivik says:

Article says that Cook has a contract signed, it’s Matthew Gray Gubler who doesn’t. If he doesn’t sign, it’s good bye Dr. Reid.

• Melissa says:

Now that would make me really sad, Reid is such a great part of the show! I Understand her reason to not stay, they played games with her. They showed that they only kinda want her on the show… maybe… if they pay her less. I don’t blame her for wanting more.

6. Amber says:

Couldn’t she have come to that conclusion last year when they already wrote her off?

• sarah says:

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t her decision.

• spike says:

well they forced her back after her pilot hasnt been picked up

• Cheyenne says:

Last year she was forced to quit and, since she still was under contract, forced to come back. She was very openly upset about it, so it isn’t really a surprise that she isn’t renewing her contract.

• I says:

You can’t be forced if you sign a contract at lays out what you can and can’t do.
        Basically she wanted to violate her contract by doing a pilot, and then got upset when told she couldn’t violate her contract.
        Spoiled brat comes to mind.
        Fine actress, certainly needs a personality and ethics tweak though.

• xav says:

Ah, what? CBS announced they were getting rid of her and AJ cook at the beginning of the television season (without telling either of them) well before pilot filming season.

• J says:

Which is their right to do as per the contract she signed.
            In the end the contract was still valid, so she needed to fulfill the contract.
            If she has an issue with the contract, the issue is with her manager that got her the gig, and herself for signing such a contract.
            TPTB followed the law of the contract and didn’t force her to do anythting she hadn’t signed on to do. They have the power to remove a star from a show for story (or coat) purposes, just as they as well have the right to see that actos fulfill the contract even if the plan was to remove them from the show.
            You sign, you do the duty.
            Which she has now apparently done, so she is now free to leave and any whining before from her was unwarranted.

• tarc says:

@J – You neglect to mention that they eliminated the character. This means, no time on screen, no pay. They obviously implied that she was freed from her contract, but no one actaully did the paperwork. They later decided to bring her back, and she was contractually obligated since the legal work hadn’t been done properly. yes, knowing these things IS her responsibility, but she likely assumed that the people she pays were doing their jobs. yes, bad assumption, but it doesn’t change the fact that she was jerked around and then denied when she requested to not return. It’s really, really bad form not to even apologize – or make some gesture to smooth things over. Now there is additional bad press for the CM administrative folks – adding to other complains made previously.

• TwistAndShout says:

They weren’t getting rid of Paget, just AJ. They were cutting back on Paget’s episodes, WHICH SHE DIDN’T LIKE, so she asked to be killed off instead. Then she went to do the pilot which was okay, per her contract, and only if it got picked up. But the show DIDN’T get picked up and since she still had a year left on her contract, she had no choice but to come back or she would be in breach.
            She wasn’t let out of her contract early, they just killed her character as part of the storyline. Why do you think JJ met up with Prentiss in Paris? It was definitely to leave it open for her to come back. Otherwise they would have just killed her permanently.

• tarc says:

Sounds to me like the people at CM screwed up again. Brewster’s personality and her ethics are just fine. (And no, I don’t watch CM, or know who Brewster is. What’s actually going on is obvious.)

• Kirty says:

Do people even read the article before commenting?

7. Booger says:

WTH??? I guess it’s becoming too soapy for her. Wishing her luck. The show is becoming stale.

8. celine says:

I can’t believe she’s leaving!After all the fan did to have her back on the show!!!
    The fans basically pressured the producers to get her and AJ back and she leaves????

9. Richard says:

Then why did she come back this season? This makes no sense

• Birdie says:

Because CBS held an option on her contract and forced her back otherwise they were going to sue her.

• Isabel says:

Exactly. Why come back only to leave again?

• Birdie says:

Because she was forced to come back.

• Kvivi says:

They fired her, people. But them firing her does not negate the year she had left on her contract.
        She made the pilot thinking she was free and clear, but when it didn’t get picked up, CBS called (after the viewer backlash) and told her that they wanted to enforce that last year of the contract and that they would not release her to pursue other options for the term of the contract. So, to keep working (and getting a paycheck), she was forced to come back to the show.
        She had every right to be pissed at how this went down.
        Letting her contract expire and then moving on is her business and not a slap in the face to fans.

• Renee says:

It states that she had another year in her contract and had to come back if the pilot she wanted failed, which it did. I hate this. Makes me sick. I won’t stop watching, but the show will be affected by her leaving.

• jennrae says:

But as far as she knew she was killed off the show. She moved on, as she should have, and then TPTB relented to public backlash and made her return. The fact is, it could have been smoothed over with a little ass-kissing seeing as how everyone knew it was the bosses who screwed up to begin with by getting rid of two of the three women on the show. Instead they chose to hide behind the fact that it was in their power to make her return rather than whether or not it was right.
        Beyond Brewster’s acting abilities, she brings real substance to her character that makes her stand out from other actors, even beyond the show. She has this calm, this patience that you can feel, and it’s probably a part of who she is that she can’t turn off. The fact that TPTB don’t appreciate this quality makes me think they’ve got problems that go beyond anything that has to do with her.

10. Esaul says:

She quit just to come back just to quit again? o_O And by coming back she replaced a wonderful actress that came onto the show?

• xav says:

She didn’t quit last year. The network reduced her number of episodes with the intention of writing her out and fired AJ Cook for ‘creative reasons’.

• spike says:

she didnt quit, the network fired her then brought her back. i guess she was PISSED and rightly so … who wants to find out that ur out of your job over twitter

• Esaul says:

Paget left to join a pilot on another show. That show didn’t get picked up. Thus she came back to Criminal Minds.

• Birdie says:

She didn’t come back by choice. The network had an option on her contract so she couldn’t refuse to comeback. They threatened to sue her if she didn’t.

• Esaul says:

Well it seems rather silly that she didn’t know the terms in her own contract. It’s a responsible thing to know what you’re signing before you actually…well…y’know…sign it…

• Anne says:

Esaul, even if you know the network can technically jerk you around if they want to, it doesn’t mean you have to be happy about it when they do.

• jennrae says:

And after being killed off, I’m sure she had moved on and didn’t think they would exercise their right to bring her back. How could she?

• @ Essaul says:

SHE DID NOT LEAVE!!! She was FIRED!!!!
          Being fired is not quitting!!!!
          And CBS enforced the contract to bring her back only after the mountain of fan backlash!
          She did not want to come back to the show. The article says that 3 times. Do you not read the article before posting comments????

• Esaul says:

Please tell me you read the commenter’s names before commenting. You can see it’s one ‘s’ and not two. :) Likewise, I read the article, I read the one on Deadline. Yes the facts are out there that she wasn’t happy. But CBS DID give her the chance to try out a pilot show. It wasn’t ABC or CBS that didn’t pick up the show. It was solely NBC’s decision not to run with it. Not knowing the terms of your own contract is kinda silly still.

• @ Esaul says:

Forgive me for the misspelling.
            So you are saying that their FIRING her was their way to ‘give her a chance to try out a pilot show.’
            What a load of crap!
            Sure NBC did not pick up the pilot, but the CBS people did not have to say to her (in essence) ‘well we think we made a mistake and want you back and if you don’t agree, you will be unemployed until the contract you signed with us is up next May. If you don’t agree, we will sue your butt for breach of contract.’
            I’m sorry, but if I get fired from my job, even under contract, my ties should be severed. She landed the pilot AFTER news of the firing hit the trades and she thought she was free and clear for it.
            Is it so hard for you to understand that she would believe that she was no longer under contract? And that the fact that they said she was still under contract pissed her off after all of this?

• Esaul says:

I’m sure she’s more than capable of understanding the terms of her contract. If she was obligated for another year, it would say so in said contract. And if she can’t understand said contract, that’s why there’s a thing called lawyers.
            Now don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Paget. I love her to pieces. I’m not attacking her. I just think in my opinion that she made a mistake by not understanding fully the terms of her contract. This is why they spend time when contracts expire hashing out the kinks as to how much they get paid and for how long. My ONLY problem is the fact that as a result of her coming back, another actress lost her job as well.

• Chiana says:

By wonderful actress you mean the horrible one that couldn’t act, and seemed to be hired because she superficially resembled AJ? Oh, and she was cheap too, can’t forget that.
      I will miss Paget but can understand why she would want to leave, after being treated so badly. Apparently she’s great at comedy too (I’ve never seen her in any of those roles), and it’s natural for an actor to want to be challenged with new roles, so good luck to her.

11. Ali says:

Well…sad. Buuuut that will hopefully make for a great Prentiss exit. For real, this time.

12. Steve T says:

So much for getting Prentiss and Hotch together.

• Kvivik says:

To which I say HALLELUJAH!!!
      Enough with the Hotch/Prentiss ‘shipping.
      Maybe now they will concentrate some time on showing that Morgan has a life outside the BAU. Would love to see him interract with his mother and sisters again, or having a love interest that has nothing to do with the bureau.

• Gale says:

THIS! It is the only thing that makes this news barable to me…the fact that we now know there will be no Prentiss/Hotch relationship.

• sophie says:

I really hate to say this as I have no desire to see the ship happen on the show, but it actually opens a door for that ship to happen, if the argument is that they won’t have a relationship like that with Hotch being the boss, and he would not date a co-worker…
          Well she would not be a co-worker anymore… so I actually hate to say it, there was a better chance on the ship not happening while she was on the show… now… well the comen used arguments would be out of the way…

• Jay says:

True, but she won’t actually be on the show so we don’t have to *SEE* it. I can handle a few passing comments from Hotch about how Emily is doing much easier than having to watch the disaster unfold in front of me.

13. Andrew says:

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Blind Item most recently teased in this week’s AA. I could see Brewster trying to get ahead of the news in this situation, couldn’t you?

14. B says:

I do wish she would’ve just left last time. I felt that whole story line was rushed because of having to bring her back. Maybe this will bring new life to the show, as long as they don’t cast someone who won’t fit in.

• spike says:

nothing was really rushed, they fired her and she probably was supposed to stay “dead” but the network was under pressure and the CM spin off failed so they brought her back

15. Josh says:

You should probably check the Deadline article. It has more detail and it doesn’t seem Paget had much of a choice. Not a great situation, still, but the whole story makes more sense now.

16. The WB Frog says:

WHAT?!?!? After the outpouring of fanmail to get her back on the show… she quits?
    Somebody quick! Profile that!

• Rachel says:

Fanmail to Brewster wasn’t what brought her back in the first place, it was fanmail to the producers. Sounds like it was a hugely forced comeback, and now that the ball’s in her court, she’s walking away. I say good for her, although I do think the show will suffer without her.

• @ Rachel says:

Agreed.
        Producers pulled the contract shtick out a hat after the HUGELY negative backlash they suffered after firing Paget and AJ. She never would have come back otherwise.
        This, IMO, is not a slap in the face to fans, it is just Paget wanting to move on.

17. Samantha says:

This sucks! I was so excited to have her come back!! Obviously I wish her the very best of luck in whatever she does next, but this is a SERIOUS bummer for CM fans :(

18. Jenna says:

Nooo! I love Emily! Grr! =/

19. Jarrod says:

I hope that they legit kill her off this time. Dead character means no return if she decides to change her mind.

20. kevin says:

Criminal Minds sucks this year especially what happen last year when the series’ spin off Suspect Behavior got canned not to mention the departure of Rachel Nichols. Hope AJ Cook remains on the show sometime next year if it gets renewed because that upcoming season could be its last.

21. kate says:

aww. I like her a lot. I’ll miss her character (again). this is why networks/any employer shouldn’t jerk good people around. best of luck, paget!

22. celine says:

I agree she’s so ungrateful!I understands that she’s mad because she was fired and found out about it on twitter and was then forced to come back but still!!!I won’t be watching next season…almost stopped watching when she left..

23. brittychicky says:

Oh man!! I was so excited when Paget came back this season. And I am going to be so sad when she leaves… :( I love Paget on Criminal Minds and it’s going to be hard for me when she leaves. Though I totally respect what Paget has decided!! I support her 100% and will definitely follow her where ever she goes!
    Will miss you, Paget!

24. Birdie says:

People, get your facts straight:
    Paget Brewster did not leave of her own choice last year nor did she come back by choice this year. CBS treated her like crap and reduced her number of episodes. Paget wanted a clean break but CBS held an option on her contract to MAKE her return for one more year. Additionally, CBS & ABC made sure her chances to get a pilot last year were GREATLY reduced by telling all pilots those two networks optioned to NOT hire Paget. This is all information that has been reported over and over again.
    Paget was the only thing keeping me on Criminal Minds this season and has been one of the very few bright spots in this mess of a year. I hope her great success and I’ll support and follow her to wherever she lands. As for Criminal Minds, after being dissed & insulted by Erica Messer in recent weeks and being called a “non-fan”, well, Erica, guess you’re right, because when Paget leaves, I’m dumping this show.
    Good luck to Paget!

25. JD says:

This is probably why she was let go in the first place. I love how these “stars” all think they are bigger than the show they are on. She will do exactly nothing after Criminal Minds.
    Look at her career outside of CM….did anyone ever see any of those movies she was in?? Skippy? Eulogy? I’ve never even heard of most of them.
    As for TV shows, the best she did was guest spots on a ton of shows or a role on short lived series.
    Good luck, but my guess is this is about all she does. I don’t see here headlining movies.

• Danny says:

Actually, she was let go because the producers at CBS wanted to save money and bring in a younger actress. It’s a fact that has been reported on multiple times.

26. sandra says:

What about Matthew Gray Gubler? is he back for season 8?

• anon says:

I hope so! If HE leaves, it would actually impact whether I watch this show. Paget is a good actress, but I have never tuned in to watch Prentiss. Reid, on the other hand….

• Dana says:

Same here. For me there is no show without Reid.
        I perfectly know that the show is not about him, but he’s my favorite character and for me Criminal Minds would lose all of its appeal without Reid in it.

• syb says:

Ditto. I like everybody in the cast, but without Reid, a hole would be left. Whereas, I like Emily, but didn’t really miss her when she was gone.

• Brendan says:

This news is bad enough on it’s own, don’t even plant the concept in my mind of Reid leaving. It can’t happen It can’t happen!

27. TFD says:

She’s better off, the show has been getting crappier by the week, though I don’t think they can ever top the arc where Hotch took down C Thomas Howell once & for all anyway.

28. Jim says:

She had no other choice than coming back for S7 or they (CBS) would’ve sued her. CM wanted to “clean up loose ends” and now I could bet Bellamy Young will be her replacement. Sad, I liked Emily’s role and always a real pleasure to watch Paget acting.

29. Jessica says:

Good for her! I love Emily Prentiss, but the way CBS and ABC treated her firing/forced rehiring can only be described as abusive. There is nothing “ungrateful” about quitting a job that treats you like crap. She is so funny, I hope she finds a great sitcom she loves working on, and I hope she takes the CM syndication checks and gives her former bosses the finger all the way to the bank. I’ll follow her wherever she goes.

30. Lisa says:

Having seen what Paget can do comedy-wise, I would kill to see her get the lead in one! She’s a terrific actor, and while I’m sad to see her leave Criminal Minds, I’ll be happy to watch her in whatever projects are next for her. Frankly, I think Criminal Minds has failed to use her to her potential.

31. Tiffany says:

I don’t blame her. After the mess last year, I’d probably get out as soon as I could, too. I can’t wait to see what she does next! I hope she’s not gone from my TV screen for too long. :-)

32. Lena says:

sorry but I think CBS only wanted her for S7 back to clean up. I guess she probably never really get an offered for a new contract. Business-relationships should be terminated cleanly and therefore her testimony, seems to me the best choice for all, saying it was her decision and taking out the uproar in the fanbase. All the best for you Paget!

33. Kristen says:

I’ll be sad to see Paget go, again, but I totally respect the decision. They yanked her chain pretty darn hard last year. It makes sense. The show only has one year left in it anyway. If she’s happier elsewhere…

34. Mikaylah says:

This is such a bummer. I really like Emily (her character on the show) and I think she adds a nice dynamic to the group that was certainly missing when she was gone. I’m glad A.J. Cook (J.J.) is staying. On a side note: no Hotch/Emily shipping anymore. :(

• Soria says:

Hey but now they could hook’em up because he won’t be her boss. Clap clap the happy event hinted for the finale could be the wedding bells for them… A happy end :D …or maybe they make her the next serialkiller :((( she will go with a blast what ever they choose to write, well I hope at least.

35. Hannah says:

Nooo!! Gutted coz they all work so well together as a team/family & I do like Prentiss :( I really hope they don’t kill her off for real, I still get upset watching ‘Lauren’ even though I know she doesn’t actually die! I’ll be in floods if they do kill her off this time! Hahaa :’) a great actress & she will be missed, but good luck to her :)

36. Alicyn says:

I hate it say it. But I am so freaking thrilled!
    I hate her. And all the H/P gettnig together on the show crap. Now I don’t have to worry about that.
    YAY FOR NO MORE HOTCH/EMILY SHIPPING.
    Freaking yes. I hated her character and wish she’d died for real last season.

• Fen says:

I’m also not so sad about this news. I think they should have just let her die last season. Something about her acting rubs me the wrong way and just drives me insane.

• Alicyn says:

I completely agree. No offence against her as an actor but I can’t stand her on Criminal Minds, not since day one.
        And I didn’t mind her until I had Hotch/Prentiss shoved down my throat ever other minute when trying to talk Criminal Minds… That made me dislike her. XD

• Birdie says:

Two two highest rated episodes for this season? The two Emily Prentiss episodes with Hotch/Prentiss overtones.

• Rhonda says:

I agree, Alicyn! I thought I was the only person who screamed “noooooo!” when I heard she was coming back. I just don’t like the Prentiss character, never warmed up to her at all -

• Rose says:

Well, that’s mature…. it won’t stop the shipping. There’s many ways around that, especially in vidding. :) As a matter of fact, the largest vidder’s shipping will be when she leaves.

37. Flora says:

No surprise. She made it clear she wanted to do comedy again. Wish her all the best and I’m going to watch what ever she does next.
    Prentiss is one of my favorite characters and I hope they don’t kill her off for real now. I would love to see her come back for some episodes. She’s part of the BAU family it would be great for to be there if there’s for example a Garcia/Kevin wedding, or if JJ is having another Baby or just for the final episode of the show.

38. Phoenix says:

Apparently reading the article wasn’t big on many people’s agendas. She was FORCED to leave & forced to come back, and found out a secondhand way. Would you be happy with it? No.

39. Ajnot says:

To the ones bad mouthing Brewsters decision: She was forced to leave show & written out, then forced to come back. Now her contract is up. It is her choice & right to leave. Suck it up

40. Maribel says:

Yes, she can be forced to come back because she signed a contract. But the network can fire her anytime like they did with her last year. I do believe that both she and AJ deserve an apology and I am truly heartbroken with this news that she is leaving after this season. Emily Prentiss is my favorite character. She openly saud that she had asked for her character to be killed off but they refused geeling the heat from the fans. Even from the last interview, when she was asked about her contract, she didnt give a straight answer. I am sad. At leadt this time, she is going out on her own terms. I also think that she no longer wants to deal with the mess of contract negotiations over the hiatus. She is truly grateful to the fans of Criminal Minds but nobody knows except these actors what they go through during contract negotiations.

41. julia says:

Maybe she just got tired of writers who made her say “unsub” 45 times an episode.

42. Sil says:

Worst news ever!
    My heart is broken!!
    I blame CBS…they wanted to cut her character in the first place…and now they got it.

43. Rachel says:

Good for her. I think the show will suffer without her, but I would easily have made the same decision in her shoes. She’s incredibly talented and likeable, and I really hope to see her in something new soon!

44. tsquared says:

I’m bummed, but not surprised. Why would she want to come back after all of the BS she put up with last year? I just hope they give her a good send-off. I know they already wrote one good send-off arc for her last season, but I hope they can pull off another. I really think the character should be killed off. The character is a selfless badass and I think a heroic death sort of scenario would be the best fit for the Prentiss character. Quitting (a la Gideon) or snapping and totally losing it (a la Elle) don’t really seem to fit.

45. Justin says:

Totally respect Paget and her decision. I wish her the best of luck in the future. I definitely find solace in the fact that she’ll stick around for the rest of the season. As for the show itself, I am not worried at all. If there’s any show I’ve seen that can handle major casting changes, it’s this show. Rossi for Gideon? Perfect! Prentiss for Greenaway? Awesome! It definitely has been a good six years with her, in my opinion.

46. Michael says:

It her life she can do what she want but I am going to miss her

47. Renee says:

Well good for her. She made the decision herself this time didn’t get fired so no regrets. I’m ok when a character leaves because the actor chose, not ok when the suits cut characters to save money.

48. Michael says:

Criminal Mind is a rare show it was not built around just one character but many so it will live on

49. Me! says:

Totally bummed! But I’m happy for Paget and that she finally gets a chance to do what she wants. If that was to be on Criminal Minds, I would be thrilled!, but it’s not.
    As for killing Prentiss, oh no, not again. I really hope they write her out in a positive way. Quitting a job doesn’t always have to be so heart-wrenching (though I REALLY liked JJ’s “last” episode, because that reflected the IRL situation. At least my feelings about it). A “I’m gonna go do this awesome thing now!” or “I think I should stay away from psychopaths and dead people for a while” will do! :) Just not a frakking wedding scene.. Please. Please! And IF that’s a deal-breaker; Not to Hotch, ok? Shipping is what it is and I appreciate so many of them, but no. It’s so, so, stereotypical! #prentissisthegayestgaytoevergay

50. Michael says: