Pilot Scoop: Jonny Lee Miller Is CBS' Sherlock, Jason Katims' County Adds Two and More!

Jonny Lee MillerJonny Lee Miller has landed the lead role of Sherlock Holmes in the CBS drama pilot Elementary.

The potential series is a modern take on the cases of the famed detective, with the Eli Stone star stepping into the literary figure’s shoes, Deadline reports. Another key change: Sherlock now lives in New York City.

Miller, who did a  guest arc on Dexter, will next to be seen in the big screen adaptation of the TV series Dark Shadows.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

In other pilot news…

• Jess Weixler (Medium, Law & Order) and Agam Darshi (Sanctuary) have joined Jason Ritter and Aimee Garcia in Jason Katims’ NBC medical drama pilot County. Fun fact: Weixler and Ritter co-starred as a couple in the film Peter and Vandy.

• Gillian Vigman — who popped up on New Girl just last week as Schmidt’s boss — has nabbed the female lead in the new Fox comedy Little Brother from writer Mike Royce (Men of a Certain Age) and director Shawn Levy (Real Steel), Deadline reports. Vigman will play the wife of John Stamos’ former rocker.

• Another frequent New Girl guest star and Saturday Night Live alumna, Michaela Watkins, will co-star in ABC’s comedy pilot Prairie Dogs, per Deadline. The series centers around an uncool cubicle worker (aka “prairie dog”) who discovers the person who stole his identity has a more fulfilling life than him. Watkins will play the supervisor of the programming department.

Selma Blair Signs Up for Anger Management With Charlie Sheen

• Daniela Bobadilla, who recurs on NBC’s upcoming new drama Awake, will play Charlie Sheen’s daughter on FX’s Anger Management, per Deadline.

• Former America’s Next Top Model contestant-turned-actress Yaya DaCosta has joined ABC’s untitled Roland Emmerich drama pilot, Deadline reports. DaCosta will play a member of a special Council, who befriends an astrophysics grad student knowing that he is the chosen one to destroy the forces of evil.

• British newcomer Sam Palladio (The Hour) has been cast in ABC’s family soap Nashville, which set against the music scene.

Which pilot casting has you most excited?

1. Tanya says:

Love the BBC version from Steven Moffat and Mark Gattis. Not sure that this is a good idea from CBS. Wish they aired the original instead. Oh well. There is always PBS.

• Elyssa says:

Ditto, ditto, and triple ditto.
      What I find interesting and rather ironic is that Jonny Lee Miller played alongside Benedict (the ‘Sherlock’ Sherlock Holmes) in ‘Frankenstein,’ with the two switching off between the lead roles of Doctor Frankenstein and The Monster. And now CBS has cast him as America’s counterpart to Benedict…

• bluebonnetbelle says:

That was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news! Glad to know I’m not the only one who saw the connection.

• Templar says:

Talk about a game of Six Degrees. House is based on Sherlock and Benedict played Hugh Laurie’s son on Fortysomething.

• jess says:

I hope CBS knows that this show will have A LOT to live up to. It would be one thing to do a Victorian London (or even early 1900′s NYC) sherlock holmes, but a modern day series? Really? Because the BBC series hasn’t totally cornered that market yet…

• Emrys says:

It will defiantly have a lot to love up to and will have to surpass the BBC series which is already a major hit with American fans.

• Juliana says:

Completely agreed! What is it with the US networks trying to make their own version of British shows? There’s already one Sherlock series – and a very good one – and there’s now talks of an American Downton Abbey. Why? The British shows are pretty great, and it’s not as if they’re over. I do like Jonny Lee Miller, and I’ll probably give it a try, but I don’t see the point.

• Maddie says:

I don’t get this! I agree with you, I don’t see the point! Jonny Lee Miller is a fine actor but give him a better series to star. I don’t think I’ll be watching this. Sherlock in NY is weird, and I love the BBC’s Sherlock.

2. Mark says:

“Sherlock” is already a great series. Let’s see how this new one compares.

3. Sarah says:

I’m sorry but there is only one Sherlock Holmes for me and he is Benedict Cumberbatch. I’ll even accept Robert Downey Jr in the movies but Sherlock Holmes is not American. No thanks.

• ggny says:

Jonny Lee Miller is British

• henninggirl says:

It’s less about the accent and more about the location. London, and more specifically 221B Baker Street go hand-in-hand with Sherlock Holmes. He would NEVER move to New York.

• Sarah says:

If they’ve got it in set in New York then I’m sure they’re going to try and make him American as in cover up his British accent. Plus like someone else said Sherlock Holmes needs to be set in England. That’s just the way it should be.

4. Trenton says:

The thing is, Johnny Lee Miller has proven himself to be an interesting actor. He isn’t a one-note performer. I’ve always felt that Sherlock has a dark side inside of him…the books, the myriad of modern adaptations have all touched on that slightly…but w/ him they could go there based off his work in Dexter. People can cry foul or cry wolf all they like…but House is a modern Sherlock, Monk was a modern Sherlock, Patrick Jane is a modern Sherlock. They only difference is that his adventures will be painted on a NYC landscape. Im intrigued….they need to cast a good Watson though. BBC’s Sherlock isn’t a one man show…and neither can this one be.

• Jess says:

Ditto on House. (can’t say the same about Monk or Jane because I didn’t/don’t watch those two shows). Sherlock Holmes is not just a man, it’s a system of belief and a way of viewing the world. I’m willing to give this show a chance but they really need to bring it if they’re going to name the main character Sherlock Holmes. I mean, that’s asking for DIRECT comparison to the BBC series so we shall see…

I totally agree about Watson. Absolutely love Martin Freeman in the BBC version (such an improvement over the bumbling Watson in the older series!) and have been disappointed that Wilson isn’t more present in the current season of House. >_>

5. Joey says:

Johnny Lee cant fool me! I know you mad!
    (and jelly)

6. Joey says:

by the way Johnny Lee. I. Boned. Ya Maammmmmmmmmmm. annnnd ya PAPI.

7. dee123 says:

LOL! All we need is for Angelina to dump Brad for Benedict & the circle will be complete.

8. Joseph says:

I really like Jonny Lee Miller , BUT it really depends on the balance of the cast and the script , I think that he is amazing but an amazing actor is not enough.
    Also , where the heck is CBS going to place a new drama ?

9. beegee says:

The BBC “Sherlock” rocks, but 3 episodes per year doesn’t make it a series, more like a “series of specials”. Each one is like a mini-movie and the writing and acting are superb, and I guarantee the U.S. version will be sadly weak in comparison.

10. aunt_deen says:

Taking Sherlock Holmes out of London is like doing a version of The Lone Ranger set in merry old England. It just doesn’t work.
    If they wanted to reinvent the Holmes/Watson pairing completely, like they did on House, that might work. But hearing a guy with an American accent introduce himself as Sherlock Holmes is just wrong.

11. GK says:

I can say that this show will be redundant as nothing will ever top the British modern day adaptation, ‘Sherlock’. But another thing is, don’t we have an American Sherlock in Patrick Jane of ‘The Mentalist’ already and that too on CBS!! Mentalist is doing a great job, but I don’t have any hopes for this one, particularly because Sherlock Holmes is synonymous with 221B Baker Street in London with a British accent!! This is wrong on so many levels. Also, with a 22-episode season order, how can they even hope to reach the high level of complexity and genius of the BBC adaptation!

• Templar says:

I disagree that Patrick Jane is a reworked Sherlock. Sherlock is a high functioning sociopath and Jane is a grief stricken man. Also, nothing against Miller, but an American Sherlock would be more of a Jim Parsons type, minus the comedy, of course.

12. Renee says:

No. Just no. Can’t even touch the Benedict Cumberbatch version. And that is not a slam on Jonny Lee Miller it slams the idea.

13. TLG says:

I love Johnny lee Miller, was a huge fan of Eli Stone, but I absolutely do not see it, and so far it sounds like a really bad idea from top to bottom. Plus, Americans already have their modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, called House M.D. Not to mention the BBC’s absolutely perfect “Sherlock”. Aren’t there other classic literary characters they can soil?

14. joe says:

Good God I hope this never goes to series.
    I love Johnny Lee Miller.
    I loved ‘Eli Stone.’
    I loved him on Dexter.
    I love ‘Sherlock.’
    I love Benedict Cumberbatch.
    This is stupid. It’s going to be a terrible show.

15. fugly says:

I will ALWAYS love Sick Boy

16. J.Norman says:

CBS obviously thinks that the key to success with a Sherlock Holmes is to get a good looking hunk to play the part.
    That is not needed at all. The British Sherlock works great and, of course, the best Holmes of all time was Jeremy Brett. He set the bar very high for Sherlock Holmes actors and he was far from a young hunk.

17. Ariel says:

I would have never imagined Johnny Lee as Sherlock before this news. However, I have no doubt that he will be fantastic.

18. Tee says:

I think BBC’s Sherlock is great. I also think Johnny Lee Miller is awesome. I’m still doubtful about this, generally remakes are dicey. But if the promos look good I’ll at least check it out.

19. Jamie says:

I was going to give it a try, but… Sherlock Holmes in New York City?

20. Ella says:

Ew, Miller’s casting has made me lose any interest in watching Sherlock.

21. ken says:

SHERLOCK?????? PLEAZE!!! Simply a rip off of the series the BBC has been doing … updating Sherlock into the 21st century. Ripping that idea off is bad enough, but moving the locale to NYC???????? I’ve stopped watching that show before it’s even produced or aired.
    With this story it is official….Hollywood has finally drained every last ounce of creativity and is now below the bottom of the barrel.

22. Anna says:

As long as this Sherlock will actually end up having sex with either John Watson or Jim Moriarty, then I’m in.