The Walking Dead Returns to Record Ratings

The Walking Dead is very much alive and kicking, resuming Season 2 this Sunday night with tallies that broke all-time records for a basic cable drama in key demos, including 5.4 million viewers in the coveted 18-49 category.

The AMC drama also broke historical marks by drawing 4.4 million adults in the 25-54 range.

The previous record holder on both counts was The Walking Dead‘s own Season 2 opener, which was improved upon by 12 and 6 percent, respectively.

All told, the midseason premiere’s 9 o’clock airing delivered 8.1 million total viewers, while for the night the show amassed an audience of 10.1 million across three viewings.

Leading out of TWD, the premiere of Kevin Smith’s Comic Book Men held onto 2 million total viewers, with 1.3 mil falling into the 18-49 category.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Isaac says:

I hate to be one of those people, but I think you mean Season 3, Matt.

2. Dave says:

Its still season 2. There was just a very long mid-season break.

3. Alex says:

Absolutely amazing…wow. Given the Grammys being on, plus the fact that it gets better ratings than about 90% of network TV…

4. Cameron says:

Yeah it’s season 2 still, same as before. It’s just called a hiatus, it was only 2.5 months. Get it right. Season 3 isn’t until October

5. Bubba says:

It was a whole lot better than that soap opera you had going on during the first half of season two, now if the writers can stay on track the final episodes should be great. Hey an idea , bump off ricks wife …she’s too whiny,then the black guy cause he’s useless , and last the redneck woman who lost her kid ….useless . Give Glenn more airtime other than being walker bait , oh an give rick a good kick in the head, reality wake up . Old world gone.

• Linden says:

Speaking of ‘a whole lot’…you need a whole lot more than just humans bashing zombies for the show to work. It’s called character development and plot.
      And, as Kirkman said, if there hadn’t been a hiatus, the first half would have worked better as a build up to the last half.
      Great job to all those involved with the series…terrific numbers, terrific show!

6. Winnie says:

Yay! I guess enough of those who said they were done with the show either changed their minds or quite a few people replaced them… Either way, I’m glad the show is back and doing so well!

7. faith. says:

Or the show could actually write interesting stuff for the characters instead of them just taking up space and/or being bumped off…

8. Joe says:

I’m shocked that people didn’t quit watching The Talking Dead after the abysmal first half of the season.

• topoopon says:

I see where a talk show about a single TV show might seem a little weird. But Chris Hardwick is likeable enough. And he has on at least one guest each week who is involved in the show, so we get a little more background, insight, and previews!

9. Drew says:

If you dont like the show, then dont watch it. Trolls.

10. RS says:

I love The Walking Dead, it’s my 2nd fav show on tv (sorry but True Blood’s in first place). I tuned in to watch the midseason premiere and was not disappointed. I watched the New Years marathon that they had, and when they did the marathon this past weekend, leading up to the premiere I watched that too. I am hopelessly addicted. I told my boyfriend if I was there in the zombie apocalypse, my 3 wingmen would be Rick, Glenn, & Daryl. Carl could come too, but those three are the ones I want with me when there’s walkers all around. With them I’d have a chance. Hoping T-Dog is able to show case himself a little more. Would like to see him have more opportunity to help the group out even more. But to me, Shane has got to go. He’s a powder keg waiting to blow, and I’d like to see that nipped in the bud before there are dire consequences. He’s getting to unstable.

11. Sandon says:

Awesome the ratings are way up. Now heres hoping AMC will raise the budget back up where it belongs!