TVLine Items: Glee's Whitney Houston Tribute, Community Shocker, Parks Scoop and More

It’s official: This Tuesday’s episode of Glee — which, coincidentally, finds Mercedes tackling Whitney Houston‘s beloved ballad, “I Will Always Love You” — will pay tribute to the late musical icon.

A series spokesperson tells TVLine that while the installment was shot long before Houston’s tragic death last Saturday, Glee producers have dedicated “Heart” to the fallen singer by placing a card in the end credits.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Bradley Whitford will guest star in an upcoming episode of Parks and Recreation, Huffington Post reports, playing Pawnee’s departing city councilman whose seat Leslie is vying for. Unfortunately, the West Wing alum will not share any scenes with former co-star Rob Lowe.

Ving Rhames has been cast opposite Alfred Molina in David E. Kelley’s TNT medical drama pilot Chelsea General, per Deadline. He’ll play a pro-football player-turned-chief of trauma surgery. Bill Irwin, Jamie Bamber and Jennifer Finnigan are also tapped to co-star.

• Death it is a comin’ to Community. Joel McHale tells TV Guide Magazine that a male character “you’ve seen a lot” will die — in the middle of the afternoon — in an upcoming episode. Any guesses?

• Pan Am star Mike Vogel has landed the lead in Fox’s Living Loaded, a comedy pilot from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia exec producers Rob McElhenney and Rob Rosell. Per Deadline, Vogel will play a hard-partying blogger who is forced to change his life when he becomes an NPR radio host.

• Perfect Couples alumna Christine Woods has joined the NBC comedy pilot Daddy’s Girls, playing a Harvard-educated doctor who returns home to discover her father is dating the mean girl from her high school.

• BET has given the green light to Single Black Female, a new project from The Game exec producers Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil, Deadline reports. The series follows the work and family life of the host of a successful Atlanta-based talk show.

• TBS has ordered Sullivan and Sons, a Vince Vaughn-produced workplace comedy starring comedian Steve Byrne and Dan Lauria.

• Spike TV has ordered a 13-episode second season of Ink Master.

• Jeremiah Franco and Carin Shreve have been named The Simpsons‘ ultimate fans after breaking the Guinness World Record for continuous television viewing. The pair joined Fox and tons of other fans to watch up to 500 continuous episodes of the long-running comedy, and took home the honors after 86 hours and 37 minutes (!) had passed.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. oi252 says:

I’m guessing the Community death is either Vice Dean Laybourne or (gasp!) Leonard.

2. Kate says:

Please don’t be Leonard on Community! I love him. Starburns I would be ok with.

3. Stephen Jay says:

Initial guess on the Community death is Leonard.

4. Joan says:

I miss Bradley Whitford on tv every week!

5. Thad says:

On Community, it could be Leonard, Star Burns or, more surprisingly, Garrett. CRISIS ALERT!

6. JJ says:

I just hope the Community death isn’t Magnitude.

7. Paul says:

I don’t think I can bear the thought of no more Leonard blog jokes.

8. Stephen says:

Community death = two words. Pop. Pop.

9. Tay says:

You know what Glee is nothing but pure garbage. I say just cancel it already. DEATH TO GLEE!!!

10. Isabella says:

Goodbye Starburns, it’s been horrifying knowing you.

11. torontogirl98 says:

Haha I love that almost all of the comments are Community related because its that awesome and everyone is missing it so bad! My guess is Leonard but that would be really sad

12. Harry says:

Shame on you Ms. Masters. “Whitney Houston‘s beloved ballad, “I Will Always Love You””?? Just because Whitney recorded a hugely successful cover version of the song, that doesn’t make it her song. Perhaps it’s the sheer volume of Whitney related stories being written this week that makes this error stand out more than normal, but I’m getting frustrated with seeing all credit for the song being given to the late Ms. Houston. Dolly Parton wrote the song, and frankly I’d rather listen to her original version any day. I have nothing against Whitney, I’m just tired of seeing writers miscredit the song to her. Granted, saying “Amber Riley’s cover of Whitney Houston’s cover of Dolly Parton’s song” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue easily, but it is the correct credit that is due.

• Ann says:

I don’t think that it’s miscrediting Dolly Parton. It simply means that Amber Riley will be singing Whitney’s version of “I Will Always Love You” as opposed to the way the song was originally written.

• Amy says:

Dolly is okay with people thinking of it as Whitney’s song, so shoud you.
      “I was brought to tears again last night, as I’m sure many were, when Jennifer Hudson sang ‘I Will Always Love You’ on the Grammys in memory of Whitney. Like everybody else, I am still in shock. But I know that Whitney will live forever in all the great music that she left behind. I will always have a very special piece of her in the song we shared together and had the good fortune to share with the world. Rest in peace, Whitney. Again, we will always love you. ”
      – Dolly Parton

• Karyn says:

As the writer of the song, Dolly gets paid whenever it’s played regardless of who sings it. I’m sure she doesn’t get upset when people call it Whitney’s song because they are referring to Whitney’s arrangement of it.
      While you’re being so serious and offended, Dolly is laughing all the way to the bank.

13. wmjindsm says:

Could it be “Annie’s B**bs” the monkey?

• aleksa says:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• Carmichael says:

My initial thought, like a lot of people, was Leonard, which would be sad because he’s awesome. Could be Magnitude or Garret, wouldn’t mind seeing either of them gone. Starburns, hope it’s not him but could see him oding or something. However, yeah, Annie’s Boobs is a possiblity now that you mention it, which would suck because monkeys are awesome. However, by the way it’s worded, another idea just spring to mind. The Human Being, as near as we know it’s male. Or it could be some background character we just never notice

14. Jackie says:

Mike Vogel has been cast in the lead of a pilot? Oh oh. Coupled with the episode mix up, I am very worried!! Would it be second position or will Pan Am fall a victim to an ABC cancellation?

• lauren says:

Did you see Pan Am’s ratings from last nite? That show is toast more than ever, sorry.

• Winnie says:

I was also thinking the Human Being, but you’re smart to remind us we don’t know the gender, especially since that was the point of the mascot. Back to the drawing board, unless it’s the gentleman who is trying to get Troy to look to a career in plumbing… I guess I’m just hoping it’s a fake-out and it ends up being Luis Guzman’s statue being “killed” and replaced by another famous alumnus…

• scorpo says:

what episode mix up?

15. Little Scarf Girl says:

My immediate thought on the Community death was Leonard. I could also see it being the monkey, though!

16. Federico says:

I’m guessing Goodman’s character.

17. Kyle says:

Community Death: I only see two logical people they can kill off and not affect the show.
    1) Chang because everyone is getting tired of his character (even though I like Chang) he’s not on the show that much. Plus he is the only one on the main cast I could see going.
    Secondary characters Duncan is my bet. The actor has not been on at all this season and his schedule is probably too busy to work on the show.
    Bet: Chang or Duncan
    Wild Card: Leonard

• susan says:

I’m not sure who Duncan is but if it’s the Psych professor then I definately don’t want him killed. Leonard seems like the obvious choice b/c he doesn’t add anything to the show. As for Chang, he’s gotta be the most annoying character, but as long as he’s not in every episode I can stand him.

• Angela says:

Duncan’s the British anthropology teacher. And yeah, it’d BETTER not be him, or I’d be really upset. I love the Duncan character.

18. Ken says:

Señor Chang can NEVER die…season 1 reference haha
    I think its fat neal, magnitude, or Vice dean

• Angela says:

Hehe. This is true. I can’t see Chang leaving either, the crew would miss his constant irritations :D.
      I thought Leonard right away, glad I’m not the only one. I don’t want him to go, either, though, nor do I want Fat Neil to go. They said it’d be a character that popped up a lot-well, Vice Dean’s and Fat Neil have only been in a couple episodes, they’ve been memorable, but not on often enough, as the snippet insinuates. I could see Magnitude going. Some tragic “POP POP!” type accident.

19. The Squatch says:

“I am Senor Chang!
    And I’m so ill!
    This is a warning
    I can’t be killed!
    All in your cabeza
    Without a chaser
    Not another teacher
    With this much flavor… Chang!”
    See? He can’t be killed… hehe
    For the longest time I didn’t even know there is more to that song they played in class, but there is an entire rap song that is quite funny, and catchy… and happens to be my ringtone. hehe
    As far as who is going to die, how about that shirtless d-bag with the guitar that was dating Britta a while back? I forget his name on the show. He is a regular on NCIS: LA now. Since he has a steady gig, and had a fairly big story arc at one time, I suppose they could bring him back for a one-and-done, (literally), episode.

20. Juan says:

My guess for the Community death: either Leonard or the Human Being.
    I hope it’s not Magnitude, he wa a great addition to the show.
    Pop! Pop!!

21. Jessica says:

My guess for the community death is Starburns. He isn’t used as frequently anymore and is portrayed by one of the shows writers who Exec Produces a few of his own successful shows on Adult Swim, not to mention that the season for hiring new writers and show runners is coming up.

22. Mafalda Neto says:

I bet the dead in Community is Leonard. Damn, i loved that old fellow.

23. Rob says:

I believe it will be the second security guard who is Chang’s superior. He is the only one who has been on alot but does not have a “following”. It will not be Star Burns because he is also a consultant on the show and if he is not leaving it would make no sense to kill him.
    Another possibility is the City College Dean or drama teacher Kevin Garrity aka Professor Professorson.

24. Amber says:

I heard a few months back that Community would end the season with a funeral, and I really thought it was going to be Annie’s Boobs, but I’m not sure that counts as a character we’ve seen a lot or even a male. More likely it’s seeming to me that it will be the Human Being who kicks the bucket. Though John Oliver and Chevy Chase seem like wild cards to me as we hadn’t seen much of either of them this season. I’m not sure they like working with Chevy Chase too much…
    On a side note, I would love to see more of John Oliver on the show if only to get more of the “F— you!” outtakes between him and Joel McHale. Those guys are hilarious.
    I’m sorry to see Rob McElheney is getting a new show. Sunny was one of my favorite shows its first four seasons, but it has been extremely unfunny the last couple of years and I can’t figure out why. My suspicion is Rob, Charlie, and Glenn are too distracted with other projects and are just phoning in the show. I would love to see them get their focus and energy back on Sunny. Also, it might help to get Fred Savage back to directing episodes of the show.