TVLine Items: Glee's Whitney Houston Tribute, Community Shocker, Parks Scoop and More

It’s official: This Tuesday’s episode of Glee — which, coincidentally, finds Mercedes tackling Whitney Houston‘s beloved ballad, “I Will Always Love You” — will pay tribute to the late musical icon.

A series spokesperson tells TVLine that while the installment was shot long before Houston’s tragic death last Saturday, Glee producers have dedicated “Heart” to the fallen singer by placing a card in the end credits.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Bradley Whitford will guest star in an upcoming episode of Parks and Recreation, Huffington Post reports, playing Pawnee’s departing city councilman whose seat Leslie is vying for. Unfortunately, the West Wing alum will not share any scenes with former co-star Rob Lowe.

Ving Rhames has been cast opposite Alfred Molina in David E. Kelley’s TNT medical drama pilot Chelsea General, per Deadline. He’ll play a pro-football player-turned-chief of trauma surgery. Bill Irwin, Jamie Bamber and Jennifer Finnigan are also tapped to co-star.

• Death it is a comin’ to Community. Joel McHale tells TV Guide Magazine that a male character “you’ve seen a lot” will die — in the middle of the afternoon — in an upcoming episode. Any guesses?

• Pan Am star Mike Vogel has landed the lead in Fox’s Living Loaded, a comedy pilot from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia exec producers Rob McElhenney and Rob Rosell. Per Deadline, Vogel will play a hard-partying blogger who is forced to change his life when he becomes an NPR radio host.

• Perfect Couples alumna Christine Woods has joined the NBC comedy pilot Daddy’s Girls, playing a Harvard-educated doctor who returns home to discover her father is dating the mean girl from her high school.

• BET has given the green light to Single Black Female, a new project from The Game exec producers Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil, Deadline reports. The series follows the work and family life of the host of a successful Atlanta-based talk show.

• TBS has ordered Sullivan and Sons, a Vince Vaughn-produced workplace comedy starring comedian Steve Byrne and Dan Lauria.

• Spike TV has ordered a 13-episode second season of Ink Master.

• Jeremiah Franco and Carin Shreve have been named The Simpsons‘ ultimate fans after breaking the Guinness World Record for continuous television viewing. The pair joined Fox and tons of other fans to watch up to 500 continuous episodes of the long-running comedy, and took home the honors after 86 hours and 37 minutes (!) had passed.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (58)

• I’m guessing the Community death is either Vice Dean Laybourne or (gasp!) Leonard.

Comment by oi252 – February 13, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m happy for Community fans but seriously….only a few thousand nutty fans care….nobody else gives a hoot about this show. What is dead is this show…get over it already and move on. Summer burn off I pray for so that the fans can get their fill of this show and then we can be done with it.

Comment by yunggunz – February 13, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rude. Community is awesome and it deserves a much larger fan base and a longer stay on the air than it will probably get.

Comment by Matt – February 13, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why don’t you get over people loving a show you don’t care about?

Comment by Claire – February 13, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • trolLOL

Comment by Brendan – February 13, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The show is too genius for average people to follow.

Comment by Kyle – February 13, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ^^^^ Exactly!

Comment by Ron Swanson – February 13, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Please we all know the REAL Ron Swanson threw his computer in the dumpster.

Comment by Russ – February 13, 2012 05:58 PM PDT
      • “Six seasons and a movie!”

Comment by Arya – February 13, 2012 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • well that’s not nice!

Comment by JJ – February 14, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t be Leonard on Community! I love him. Starburns I would be ok with.

Comment by Kate – February 13, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Starburns was my first guess too!

Comment by T – February 13, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Starburns or that dude who goes “pop, pop!” I forgot his name haha…But both of their shticks are sort of old. Leonard, on the other hand, is eternal. He’s the male Betty White!

Comment by JOsh – February 13, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I sure hope its not Magnitude/ I’m guessing Starburns or Leonard.

Comment by jason – February 13, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Noooooo! Not Magnitude! My husband and I taught our 20-month-old daughter to “Pop, POP!”

Comment by Aprilcot26 – February 14, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Initial guess on the Community death is Leonard.

Comment by Stephen Jay – February 13, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Bradley Whitford on tv every week!

Comment by Joan – February 13, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On Community, it could be Leonard, Star Burns or, more surprisingly, Garrett. CRISIS ALERT!

Comment by Thad – February 13, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope the Community death isn’t Magnitude.

Comment by JJ – February 13, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Leonard or Magnitude were my first guesses. Just not Fat Neil, I want them to do another episode with him.

Comment by aleksa – February 13, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! He’s so funny. Pop pop!

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – February 13, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think I can bear the thought of no more Leonard blog jokes.

Comment by Paul – February 13, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community death = two words. Pop. Pop.

Comment by Stephen – February 13, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean Pop Pop get pop-popped?

Comment by Rock Golf – February 13, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know what Glee is nothing but pure garbage. I say just cancel it already. DEATH TO GLEE!!!

Comment by Tay – February 13, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, you’re incredibly mature.

Comment by Wouter – February 13, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And let’s not forget subtle

Comment by Orhan94 – February 13, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As long as people keep buying their music on itunes the show is going to stay on the air. I imagine Fox makes quite a bundle with those and the cds sales.

Comment by lacey – February 13, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goodbye Starburns, it’s been horrifying knowing you.

Comment by Isabella – February 13, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha I love that almost all of the comments are Community related because its that awesome and everyone is missing it so bad! My guess is Leonard but that would be really sad

Comment by torontogirl98 – February 13, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame on you Ms. Masters. “Whitney Houston‘s beloved ballad, “I Will Always Love You””?? Just because Whitney recorded a hugely successful cover version of the song, that doesn’t make it her song. Perhaps it’s the sheer volume of Whitney related stories being written this week that makes this error stand out more than normal, but I’m getting frustrated with seeing all credit for the song being given to the late Ms. Houston. Dolly Parton wrote the song, and frankly I’d rather listen to her original version any day. I have nothing against Whitney, I’m just tired of seeing writers miscredit the song to her. Granted, saying “Amber Riley’s cover of Whitney Houston’s cover of Dolly Parton’s song” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue easily, but it is the correct credit that is due.

Comment by Harry – February 13, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep!

Comment by Renee – February 13, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think that it’s miscrediting Dolly Parton. It simply means that Amber Riley will be singing Whitney’s version of “I Will Always Love You” as opposed to the way the song was originally written.

Comment by Ann – February 13, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But it’s the anonymous internet, picking on people and being nasty is what everyone does! J/K

Comment by lauren – February 13, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dolly is okay with people thinking of it as Whitney’s song, so shoud you.
      “I was brought to tears again last night, as I’m sure many were, when Jennifer Hudson sang ‘I Will Always Love You’ on the Grammys in memory of Whitney. Like everybody else, I am still in shock. But I know that Whitney will live forever in all the great music that she left behind. I will always have a very special piece of her in the song we shared together and had the good fortune to share with the world. Rest in peace, Whitney. Again, we will always love you. ”
      - Dolly Parton

Comment by Amy – February 13, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As the writer of the song, Dolly gets paid whenever it’s played regardless of who sings it. I’m sure she doesn’t get upset when people call it Whitney’s song because they are referring to Whitney’s arrangement of it.
      While you’re being so serious and offended, Dolly is laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment by Karyn – February 14, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could it be “Annie’s B**bs” the monkey?

Comment by wmjindsm – February 13, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Comment by aleksa – February 13, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My initial thought, like a lot of people, was Leonard, which would be sad because he’s awesome. Could be Magnitude or Garret, wouldn’t mind seeing either of them gone. Starburns, hope it’s not him but could see him oding or something. However, yeah, Annie’s Boobs is a possiblity now that you mention it, which would suck because monkeys are awesome. However, by the way it’s worded, another idea just spring to mind. The Human Being, as near as we know it’s male. Or it could be some background character we just never notice

Comment by Carmichael – February 13, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mike Vogel has been cast in the lead of a pilot? Oh oh. Coupled with the episode mix up, I am very worried!! Would it be second position or will Pan Am fall a victim to an ABC cancellation?

Comment by Jackie – February 13, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you see Pan Am’s ratings from last nite? That show is toast more than ever, sorry.

Comment by lauren – February 13, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was also thinking the Human Being, but you’re smart to remind us we don’t know the gender, especially since that was the point of the mascot. Back to the drawing board, unless it’s the gentleman who is trying to get Troy to look to a career in plumbing… I guess I’m just hoping it’s a fake-out and it ends up being Luis Guzman’s statue being “killed” and replaced by another famous alumnus…

Comment by Winnie – February 13, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what episode mix up?

Comment by scorpo – February 13, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The last episode that aired was an episode that was skipped earlier in the season. So it was confusing to people.

Comment by Starbuckcubed – February 14, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My immediate thought on the Community death was Leonard. I could also see it being the monkey, though!

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – February 13, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing Goodman’s character.

Comment by Federico – February 13, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community Death: I only see two logical people they can kill off and not affect the show.
    1) Chang because everyone is getting tired of his character (even though I like Chang) he’s not on the show that much. Plus he is the only one on the main cast I could see going.
    Secondary characters Duncan is my bet. The actor has not been on at all this season and his schedule is probably too busy to work on the show.
    Bet: Chang or Duncan
    Wild Card: Leonard

Comment by Kyle – February 13, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure who Duncan is but if it’s the Psych professor then I definately don’t want him killed. Leonard seems like the obvious choice b/c he doesn’t add anything to the show. As for Chang, he’s gotta be the most annoying character, but as long as he’s not in every episode I can stand him.

Comment by susan – February 13, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Duncan’s the British anthropology teacher. And yeah, it’d BETTER not be him, or I’d be really upset. I love the Duncan character.

Comment by Angela – February 14, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Señor Chang can NEVER die…season 1 reference haha
    I think its fat neal, magnitude, or Vice dean

Comment by Ken – February 13, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hehe. This is true. I can’t see Chang leaving either, the crew would miss his constant irritations :D.
      I thought Leonard right away, glad I’m not the only one. I don’t want him to go, either, though, nor do I want Fat Neil to go. They said it’d be a character that popped up a lot-well, Vice Dean’s and Fat Neil have only been in a couple episodes, they’ve been memorable, but not on often enough, as the snippet insinuates. I could see Magnitude going. Some tragic “POP POP!” type accident.

Comment by Angela – February 13, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I am Senor Chang!
    And I’m so ill!
    This is a warning
    I can’t be killed!
    All in your cabeza
    Without a chaser
    Not another teacher
    With this much flavor… Chang!”
    See? He can’t be killed… hehe
    For the longest time I didn’t even know there is more to that song they played in class, but there is an entire rap song that is quite funny, and catchy… and happens to be my ringtone. hehe
    As far as who is going to die, how about that shirtless d-bag with the guitar that was dating Britta a while back? I forget his name on the show. He is a regular on NCIS: LA now. Since he has a steady gig, and had a fairly big story arc at one time, I suppose they could bring him back for a one-and-done, (literally), episode.

Comment by The Squatch – February 13, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess for the Community death: either Leonard or the Human Being.
    I hope it’s not Magnitude, he wa a great addition to the show.
    Pop! Pop!!

Comment by Juan – February 14, 2012 01:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess for the community death is Starburns. He isn’t used as frequently anymore and is portrayed by one of the shows writers who Exec Produces a few of his own successful shows on Adult Swim, not to mention that the season for hiring new writers and show runners is coming up.

Comment by Jessica – February 14, 2012 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet the dead in Community is Leonard. Damn, i loved that old fellow.

Comment by Mafalda Neto – February 14, 2012 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe it will be the second security guard who is Chang’s superior. He is the only one who has been on alot but does not have a “following”. It will not be Star Burns because he is also a consultant on the show and if he is not leaving it would make no sense to kill him.
    Another possibility is the City College Dean or drama teacher Kevin Garrity aka Professor Professorson.

Comment by Rob – February 14, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard a few months back that Community would end the season with a funeral, and I really thought it was going to be Annie’s Boobs, but I’m not sure that counts as a character we’ve seen a lot or even a male. More likely it’s seeming to me that it will be the Human Being who kicks the bucket. Though John Oliver and Chevy Chase seem like wild cards to me as we hadn’t seen much of either of them this season. I’m not sure they like working with Chevy Chase too much…
    On a side note, I would love to see more of John Oliver on the show if only to get more of the “F— you!” outtakes between him and Joel McHale. Those guys are hilarious.
    I’m sorry to see Rob McElheney is getting a new show. Sunny was one of my favorite shows its first four seasons, but it has been extremely unfunny the last couple of years and I can’t figure out why. My suspicion is Rob, Charlie, and Glenn are too distracted with other projects and are just phoning in the show. I would love to see them get their focus and energy back on Sunny. Also, it might help to get Fred Savage back to directing episodes of the show.

Comment by Amber – February 15, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post