E! Abruptly Pulls Whitney Houston-Skewering Fashion Police Episode

Fashion Police Whitney HoustonOn the heels of Whitney Houston‘s tragic death, E! has yanked off the schedule a rebroadcast of Friday’s Fashion Police that bashed the late superstar.

The encore, scheduled to air Sunday at 8:30/7:30c, was abruptly replaced by a rerun of Khloe & Lamar.

The unfortunately-timed installment featured host Joan Rivers and Co. mocking Houston’s wardrobe.

Grammy Awards to Pay Tribute to Whitney Houston

Houston was pronounced dead Saturday afternoon in her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. The cause of death remains unknown.

Did E! make the right call here?

Comments (34)

• Oh, come on. I saw the episode. There was one joke, and it wasn’t even that bad.

Comment by Anonymous – February 12, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh well a little dignity for the poor lady. Bobby Brown has a lot to answer for…

Comment by Bob Genghis Khan – February 12, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really? I mean I know it’s soon after her death but it already aired, it’s not like you can take it back. It’s funny how we all laughed at her when she was clearly in need of help and now everyone is so sad to hear about her passing and saying nice things. Just be real.

Comment by Franco – February 12, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right on the mark, Franco! Human hypocrisy at its FINEST!

Comment by DJ Rogue – February 13, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is what happens, you watch someone sprial down out of control and as onlookers there’s nothing you can do. Everyone is criticized and people who are successful are mocked and made fun of for so many things. Just because jokes were made does not mean anyone wished this on her or her family. I think E! did the exact right thing by pulling the show. Joke or no joke a little respect for a world known artist and a human being and her family is beyond deserved.

Comment by Ally – February 12, 2012 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes they did the right thing. We all know Whitney had her faults, but right now is the time for respect and dignity. A family has lost a mother, daughter, and sister.

Comment by Amanda – February 12, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad I DVR it! We were watching it right before the news broke! Felt awkward to watch it after that….

Comment by Gally – February 12, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t ever remember laughing at her. It was tragic seeing her decline because of drugs. Nothing funny about that.

Comment by karen – February 12, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But then again, anything for a laugh at anyone’s expense. Right? Sweet Dreams folks.

Comment by Sun – February 12, 2012 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d say the only bad call out of the whole scenario was replacing the episode with one of Khloe & Lamar…

Comment by Auds – February 12, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the clip. It was okay. I am glad that E decided to pull the episode, though. It shows that the network does have some class after all. It’s about respect and I for one am glad to see the uppers at E have some.

Comment by leigh – February 12, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I think they did the right thing. It’s not like anyone will actually miss seeing a rerun of Fashion Police anyway.

Comment by MandyJane – February 12, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree!!!

Comment by Me – February 12, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • E did the right thing. Why provide ammunition to all the celeb coveage of Whitney right now. P.R. led the way and decided to remove the target of criticism.

Comment by forrest – February 12, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Whitney Houston saw the Fashion Police episode and relapsed because of it and died. Joan Rivers and Guilianna Rancic mocked her to the core. Saying that she was coming off a bender, her coat was $20 and her look was basically her trying to live in the mid 90′s since that was the best time for her. They acted like she was a failure and her good days were behind her like it was fact. I think Joan even mocked Whitney’s present-day voice.

Comment by Guest – February 12, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw it too. I bet Joan feels bad about the timing of her remarks, even though they were probably all true and not a surprise to anyone. Guillanna, on the Red Carpet show looks rather sheepish. Whitney just took her Xanax and went to sleep. Too bad it was in her bathtub.

Comment by Lynn – February 12, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t believe Joan feels bad because she is evil. I agree that Whitney probably did watch the episode. On Friday Joan and Company were slamming Whitney because of her wardrobe, singing, and her companion. Today Joan and Company were posting how talented Whitney was and how they were so sad about her passing. What hypocrites!!!

Comment by MGZam – February 12, 2012 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw it before Houston had passed and I thought it was extremely mean. Especially for Rancic recovering from cancer. Discuss the clothes but to go after people’s personal lives was just disgusting. I will never watch the show again.

Comment by DeeDee – February 14, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Talk about fricking mean girls. Shame on Giullianna & Joan, they were crude and nasty. It was apparent that Whitney looked out of it and in a very bad way needing help not criticism. Just
      days later both Giuillianna and Joan were faking to pretend they care. They both made a lot of money off of her death. They owe an apology.
      I think E should have left it own, it was nasty and just shows how low
      the media goes to make money.

Comment by Ella Groene – February 17, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • E and Fashion Police absolutely did the right thing in pulling a repeat episode. There is a time and a place, and this is not the time! I’m glad the network is showing respect to the family at this time. There will be plenty of chances for them to dissect the good the bad and the ugly in the future! RIP Whitney.

Comment by Sue – February 12, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with E!’s decision to pull the rerun. I just have one question about that particular episode. While they bash all the stars about their hair and outfits – why didn’t someone tell Kelly she looked like a beauty school experiment gone horribly wrong and she shouldn’t wear clothes designed by a Project Runway wannabe. Seriously Kelly, do you not have mirrors in your dressing room?

Comment by JB – February 12, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true about Kelly. Her hair usually looks bad, and she has questionable taste in clothes. The only reason she’s on the show is because they think they need a younger person to appeal to the younger viewers. Maybe all the other young “talent” in Hollywood is actually working, and Kelly is all that’s available.

Comment by maggie – February 12, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Tivo’d the Friday night show and watched it Saturday morning. I thought at the time that the comments were more mean-spirited than usual. In addition to making fun of what Houston was wearing (which is what you expect from Fashion Police), Rivers was saying that Houston had lost her singing voice. To me, that means that the artist isn’t going to be able to find work again and could be damaging to her career. Still, Houston had a myriad of problems, and it’s not right to blame Joan Rivers for any of them. Very sad.

Comment by MacNYC – February 12, 2012 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joan mocks everyone beyond their fashion, plus she just says what everyone else is thinking. Why is it that when a celebrity dies they become a saint and all the bad stuff is forgotten? Michael Jackson was a child molestor but he’s dead so we have to forget about that. Whitney Houston was a drug addict but oh no, we can’t talk about that.

Comment by Sam – February 12, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was well known and discussed for years that Whitney had lost her range, the purity of her voice and her ability to breathe as a musician. Saying so on fashion police wasn’t breaking any taboos

Comment by Diane – February 12, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The show is about fashion…nothing else.

Comment by MGZam – February 12, 2012 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok guys…. E was right to pull the show …. Cannot hurt Whitney anymore – she is now at peace !!! Think of her 18 year old daughter !!! She has list her Mom – from her panic attack it looks like they were close!!!! Think of her now- a child with an idiot for a father and a mom that with all her problems was supposedly a good mom…. Give the family a break – I lost my mom not that long ago ( I am an adult) and it was HORRIBLE!!! Think of Bobbi when you make nasty or rude comments!!! She has list her Mom – she knows her faults….. Just doesn’t need to have garbage surrounding her at this time!!!!! Grow up people and have respect !!!!!

Comment by Maria – February 12, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm replaced one garbage show with another. If that was the best replacement they could come up with, no wonder the hideous fashion police is still on the air.
    It’s bad enough they broadcast inane people criticizing celebrities for fashion gaffes, but it’s made much worse by the fact these people are completely lacking in taste and fashion sense themselves. Or am I missing some irony here?
    Can’t stand Rivers, Kelly Osbourne and Rancic. Don’t even know whom the lone male critic is, and I don’t care. Only reason I know anything about the show is that it comes on after my beloved The Soup ends. If I watch a recording, I usually have a few minutes of it if I can’t make a mad dash to turn it off. Horrible, horrible show. But I can’t say a piece of reality garbage is any better, especially when it revolves around a Kardashian. Can’t they come up with anything better, seriously?
    And to stick strictly to the topic, yes they did the right thing by canning the Fashion Show. They could make it a better thing by actually coming up with decent programming. Or re-run all the Soups from previous years.

Comment by Chiana – February 12, 2012 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only good thing would be if E! used this as an impetus to cancel the show.

Comment by Walter – February 13, 2012 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fashion police is nothing more than watching the “popular” mean kids from high school pick people apart. Joan has body dysmorphic disorder, Guilliana for a number of years (only until trying to become pregnant and recent health issues) looked to have an eating disorder. The show is the very thing that everyone in the media is fighting to try to stop yet keeps watching…the same way people slow in traffic to see an accident. You can see this is how they act when you watch the Red Carpet from the Grammys when Guilliana made a comment about Ryan Seacrest saying ‘thank you” to Rhianna. She made it sound like he was being sleazy but you can hear Rhianna saying that he looked “Nice yourself”

Comment by SW – February 13, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • May Whitny rest in peace. With all her talent and success, she was a troubled soul. It is easy to kick someone when they’re down.
    Put up your credentials to be a fashion experts against the God given gift that Whitney possessed. E did the right thing by not airing the show again, and again, and again. They may think they are funny but they are the mean girls and mean girls are bullies. They should have their outfits critiqued by people who work for a circus because they dress like clowns.- Oh that’s just a joke. Take it like you give it.

Comment by gigi – February 13, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the show and laughed at the joke. It was funny and oh so true. It’s ridiculous to deify this woman just because she’s dead. She was human, that’s all. The truth hurts, but it’s a heck of a lot better than hypocrisy.

Comment by Nathan – February 14, 2012 03:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think FP possibly pushed Whitney to the edge. They were cruel. They were laughing so hard they almost split a gut. There is a fine line to cross when this kind of “bullying” is done on TV. It is ok if a person has a strong sense of self, but based on Whitney’s life -she didn’t.

Comment by Ahfactor – February 14, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very disrespectful no matter what flaws Whitney has had the woman died not even a week before the show aired she was a global superstar the world was mourning her death and her family most importantly how do you think they feel that was an all time low for you Joan Rivers I’m not going to lie I like fashion police however you need to know that their is a time for everything and that was not the time for a Whitney joke. Whitney is a legend and definitely deserves respect and I think E did an amazing job taking that episode of the air

Comment by Jahmani Sealy – January 11, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post