Remembering Whitney Houston: A Guide to TV Specials, Marathons and More

Get More: TVLine-Ups

In the wake of Whitney Houston’s shocking death on Saturday, fans of the world-class singer are looking to reflect on her career (good times and bad), hear from her friends and peers and/or simply kick back with the music videos that years ago accompanied her rising star.

TVLine is keeping tabs on TV specials, marathons and other programs that are being fast-tracked and set for broadcast over these next few days — in addition to, of course, the Grammy Awards’ announced tribute to Houston. Here’s a starter list, and we’ll be updating as new fare is announced.

SUNDAY, FEB. 12
* All day Sunday, MTV Hits, MTV Jams, VH1 Soul and BET’s Centric channel will be airing non-stop Whitney Houston videos.
* On Sunday at 3 pm EST, VH1 proper is presenting an hour-long block of Houston’s best music videos.
* On Sunday at 3:30 pm, BET will air Houston’s last televised performance in an encore presentation ofCelebration of Gospel 2011.

MONDAY, FEB. 13
6 pm | BET’s 106 & Park will pay tribute to the singer’s life and legacy with a special three-hour episode.
8 pm | Lifetime airs 1992′s The Bodyguard, Houston’s big-screen showcase opposite Kevin Costner
8 pm | Showtime’s FLIX channel is airing The Preacher’s Wife, starring Houston and Denzel Washington
9:30 pm | The VH1 News special,Whitney Houston: Death Of a Diva, will have updates Houston’s death as well as reactions from those who attended her mentor Clive Davis’s pre-Grammy Awards party on Saturday night.

TUESDAY, FEB. 14
Noon | VH1 Classic presents a three-hour “A to Z Whitney Houston video retrospective”; it will repeat that night at 8 pm.

THURSDAY, FEB. 16
8 pm | The TV Guide Network has a one-hour special, Whitney Houston, An Icon Remembered.
9 pm | OWN will present Remembering Whitney: The Oprah Interview, replaying Houston’s last in-depth TV interview from The Oprah Winfrey Show (circa Sept. 2009).
Time TBA | VH1 will debut a special celebrating Houston’s legacy, including her appearances on VH1 Divas in 1999 and 2003, as well as VH1 Honors in 1996.

FRIDAY, FEB. 17
8 pm | Waiting to Exhale airs on Encore
9 pm | On ABC’s 20/20, “One Moment in Time: The Life of Whitney Houston,” takes an in-depth look at Houston’s musical legacy and rocky personal life, and will include Diane Sawyer’s interview done exactly 10 years ago.
10 pm | Encore presents The Preacher’s Wife

Comments (15)

• You can also watch The Bodyguard on Amazon Instant Video. It’s free to stream if you have Amazon Prime!

Comment by Meghan – February 12, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In addition to whatever else, Glee has a previously scheduled episode on Tuesday (“Hearts”) for Valentine’s Day that includes a cover of Whitney’s arraignment of “I Will Always Love You,” the full studio version is already available online.

Comment by theschnauzers – February 12, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been a fan since I was a very little girl. It does certainly feels like I have lost someone close to me. I heart goes out to her family and friends. She will be missed by soooo many, RIP

Comment by Latoya – February 12, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember her in Waiting To Exhale and The Preacher’s Wife. Both entertaining movies for those interested in seeing her on the screen. I haven’t seen much mention of her song “How Will I Know.” It was one of her early hits.

Comment by Mia – February 12, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone keeps using the word ‘shocking’ – she was a drugged out mess, it’s not that shocking, people

Comment by np – February 12, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So it may not be shocking to some, a great singer has been silenced and we should respectful to the millions of fans who love Whitney and how she has touched our lives

Comment by Jake – February 12, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • rodger and hammerstein’s cinderella will be playing on bet at 10 to 12 am on tuesday. whitney plays the fairy godmother!

Comment by jenzo – February 12, 2012 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I luv Witney Hoston, it’s a pity she has to go so soon.

Comment by Allen mmm – February 13, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Whitney’s death shocking? She has been a drug addict for years! And yes, it is a shame that she died but why does her death matter more than the death of any of drug addict? Any other 48 year old woman?
    She was a great singer but that is a talent she was born with – it is not a talent she cultivated. Celebrities are just people and they should not be given extra consideration because of their so-called status.

Comment by Kate – February 13, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hi Kate,
      I understand where you are coming from. However, it isn’t about a celebrity being revered higher than any other person, or that they matter more, the truth is simply that more people know about them. It simply boils down to a mathmatical equation.
      No matter how a person’s life has played out, there are those who love them and who will miss them. Those people will cherish the memories they have of the departed in paying their last respects in understanding that each of us are only human, and that there is not “1″ of us living or dead, who has not made mistakes in our lives. And for those mistakes, only GOD has the authority to judge us.
      My prayer is “may we all be as blessed to be loved so deeply, so unconditionally, when we die, no matter our faults.”
      Take care, and God bless~

Comment by Rohnda Cox – February 19, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a long time drug addict who has used her money to pay off authorities to avoid jail time. Her death should be treated just like any street juckie. Who cares. Another wasted life.

Comment by yuka – February 13, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How ignorant people like you can be. We are all human, we all have different stumbling blocks in life. Hers happened to be addiction. Her life obviously wasn’t wasted because she had a God given gift that allowed her to leave us the beautiful music her voice created. She was the first one to admit her weaknesses and without a doubt is released of the pain and pressures of this world. I know she is now in the presence of the Lord, her health restored. She completed what she was on this earth to do. What gift are you going to leave behind for the world to enjoy after your death? I thought so. What a shallow mindset you have. Let he who is above blame cast the first stone….

Comment by Sprouthouse – February 21, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe she is gone so soon.First Michael Jackson and now Whitney. I was just watching the movie Preacher’s Wife minutes before I found out about her death. She was one of my favorite singer. Every time she hit a certain note in her songs I would get chills. She had an amazing powerhouse voice. I remember she was my one of my first girl crushes. My heart goes out to her loved ones. Especially her daughter. I know what she is going through. I lost my mother 2yrs ago. She was also a big fan of hers. I hope Bobbi Kristina finds peace. Your mother is still alive through her music, movies and most importantly through you. RIP Ms. Houston. I will be blasting your music all week.

Comment by Alex Markov – February 14, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DUMMY WE LOVED HER,HAVE NOTHING TO SAY SHUT UP!

Comment by MAXINE – February 14, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i just wondered what was denzel washington’s thoughts on Whitney’s death

Comment by lorraine francisco – February 18, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post