Whitney Houston Dead at 48 – Relive Some of Her Memorable TV Performances

Get More: In Memoriam, Video

Six-time Grammy Award winner Whitney Houston died on Saturday, at the age of 48.

According to the Associated Press, Houston was pronounced dead on Saturday afternoon in her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. The cause of death as of Saturday evening was unknown, while police told the AP they had found “no obvious signs of any criminal intent.”

Remembering Whitney Houston: A Guide to TV Specials, Marathons and More

Houston was due to appear at mentor Clive Davis’ annual pre-Grammys party and concert on Saturday night at the Hilton, and perhaps even perform. “It’s her favorite night of the year,” Davis told the AP. The event is still being held, though likely reshaped as a smaller gathering designed to celebrate Houston.

Likewise, the producers of Sunday’s Grammy Awards are likely at work deciding on how best to tribute Houston during the ceremony.

Just this past Thursday, Houston appeared at a pre-Grammys event, where she gave what would turn out to be her final performance, “Yes, Jesus Loves Me,” with Kelly Price.

Jennifer Hudson to Headline Whitney Houston Tribute at Tonight’s Grammys

As you remember Whitney Houston aka “The Voice,” consider these memorable videos and TV performances:

The music video for “I Will Always Love You” (from the soundtrack for 1992′s The Bodyguard)

A performance of the national anthem, at Super Bowl XXV, that was so stirring, you wonder how anyone else dared to sing that song ever since

“One Moment in Time,” at the 1989 Grammy Awards

Comments (50)

• “One Moment in Time,” at the 2009 Grammy Awards:
    Think you mean 1989 ;)

Comment by Eliott – February 11, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please remove that cellphone video of Whitney performing yesterday. That’s not the way anyone wants to remember her.

Comment by Rock Golf – February 11, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks, Matt, for listening.

Comment by Rock Golf – February 11, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lets not turn her into another Marilyn Monroe and ignore her descent into drug abuse and schizophernia. Whitney Houston made terrible choices and likely died from her history of drug abuse. Dont sugar coat that for yet another generation of girls and hold her up as a twinkling star frozen in time. She was real, she went to rehab, she died too early after her ability was burned away by a crack pipe.
      Dont deify her.

Comment by Gorm – February 11, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Get a grip, no one is deifying her. TVLine is sharing TELEVISED performances, a personal cellphone video is not in that category–it’s appropriate to remove it. So you can keep your proselytizing and insufferable attitude to yourself.

Comment by Saint Alicia – February 11, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was taken down because the video was made private not because of dignity

Comment by Eliott – February 12, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe this is real.

Comment by raelee514 – February 11, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just earlier today I read that she was being approached to be a judge on X-Factor. this is very unexpected.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 11, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That performance of the Star Bangled Banner still makes me weep everytime I hear it. (and I’m Canadian) I grew up with her music and there will never be another singer like her. RIP Whitney…

Comment by Tanya – February 11, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My parents bought a CD copy of her version of The Star Spangled Banner, and I loved it, too. I’m glad you, as a northern neighbor, appreciated it, too!
      I love the especially beautiful picture on the “top stories” front page, and the videos posted. Yes, her life quite publicly had ups and downs, some due to poor decision making, but the news saddened and even shocked me. I am one of those who regarded her voice as a National Treasure.

Comment by Winnie – February 12, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad. :(

Comment by Alex – February 11, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her performance of The Star Spangled Banner is truly moving. RIP Whitney.

Comment by Dusty – February 11, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unbelievable. This is so tragic. Her music (the Bodyguard soundtrack especially) is a huge part of my childhood memories, and I will always remember her beautiful, perfect voice.
    Rest in Peace, Whitney Houston. I will, unironically, always love you.

Comment by Saint Alicia – February 11, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Whitney

Comment by l – February 11, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW….still can’t believe it :(

Comment by Lauren – February 11, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad.
    RIP, Whitney.

Comment by jenna – February 11, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Whitney Houston. The music world will always love you. :(

Comment by kevin – February 11, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sad news :(

Comment by me – February 11, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Whitney, your beautiful voice and smile will always be in our memories. Your visit in South Africa was remarkable, Madiba will be so sad to hear the news. We love u Whitney. May your beautiful soul rest in peace.
    Lulu- Jhb, South Africa

Comment by Lulu Gaga – February 11, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good bye Whitney your voice will be missed. And may your last film be as awesome as you.

Comment by Tay – February 11, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember when I bought my 1st Whitney album, (which was also her 1st and that it was an actual “album”!)I was a junior in college & would play “Saving All My Love” over and over again. I played that album so much that it eventually warped! Like Simon Cowell said, I choose to remember her as she was back then, when her voice was one of the most incredible I have ever heard in my own 48 years. But I hope she has now found the peace and happiness that seemed to allude her so much in her life here on earth. RIP Whitney. You will be sorely missed.

Comment by Silvana – February 11, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That superbowl performance….WOW WOW WOW!!
    Music has lost a vocal icon….may her soul R.I.P!

Comment by Margo – February 11, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will turn out to be a drug overdose.

Comment by jeff Kantor – February 11, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for posting these….people need to remember these moments in time….of a beautiful amazing talent. RIP Whitney. You will never be forgotten.

Comment by Laura – February 11, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sencillamente nolo puedo creer…. aunque analizando su vida , a pesar de que es y estaba e medio de personas siempre fue alguien muy triste y solitaria … con un sin par de problemas las drogas … siempre se sentia sola … que lastima yo la admiraba nucho su voz unica no hay q uien la iguale y una belleza fisica casi perfecta… lo q ue halla sido pues ya descanso… paz a sus restos…

Comment by veronica – February 11, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW — I haven’t seen that Star Spangled Banner performance in years, and I had forgotten how incredibly dynamic it was. Thank you for the reminder, Matt. And RIP, Whitney — whatever your personal demons, you were always a great talent, a bright star and a DIVA, in all the most amazing ways.

Comment by wtfnyc – February 11, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thats a very sad new to start new day ;(
    she was and will be one of the best singer in the world.

Comment by egli – February 11, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about her work on Boston Public? She was really sweet in that going to the Prom of a fan of hers.

Comment by Mark – February 11, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great talent. No one but her knows what her demons were. She leaves behind a great body of work on recording, film and video.

Comment by Gailee – February 11, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched “The Star Spangled Banner” and I’m still crying now. I can’t imagine anyone singing it better. It’s so sad that she’s gone, rest in peace, Whitney.

Comment by Lime – February 11, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First Michael and now Whitney…the musicians of my youth are passing before my eyes.
    To those people who feel like using the death as some anti-drug speech. No one is arguing with you regarding the dangers of drugs, but have some respect for those of us who loved this talented woman’s body of work and will mourn her passing.

Comment by Scribe – February 11, 2012 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS !! Thank you, I couldn’t say it better than you did.
      RIP Whitney, you’ll be missed :(

Comment by Monkeyrat – February 12, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While tragic and sad, I also believe this will turn out to be drug related. Crackheads die. Even talented ones. Lots of people are saying, not necessarily on her but other sites too, that is was “sooo unexpected. ” Really? No one, no one, actually saw this coming? I know it’s hard to believe that an icon would turn out this way but it happens everyday. Most just die in a ditch somewhere. She just happened in a swank hotel. And what is with celebrities going to die in hotels? They know they’ll be found soon? I think that’s just weird. But whatever.
    Whitney Houston died inside a long time ago. Her body just now caught up with it. Sad but…..realistically, drugs kill. It happens.

Comment by Missy – February 11, 2012 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Felt so touched after seeing that video in which she sang the American anthem… and I am not even american.

Comment by Lily – February 12, 2012 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is all my fault. I kept praying for Whitney to get cancelled. I should have been more specific.

Comment by Anne – February 12, 2012 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahahaha

Comment by Fatal – February 12, 2012 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that is disrespectful.

Comment by kirads09 – February 12, 2012 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the Grammy’s, wow! RIP, Whitney

Comment by lipsticksocialism – February 12, 2012 03:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Whitney. I am hoping her tremendous voice and talent will be remembered more than her struggles over recent years. So sad.

Comment by kirads09 – February 12, 2012 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we all are perfectly aware of Whitney’s problems but to compare her to Marilyn Monroe come on it is okay to remember her in a great light she was a phenomenal singer during her time and a perfect example of how human we all are nobody is perfect so get off your judgmental soapbox please

Comment by Asia – February 12, 2012 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really sad news. :( RIP <3 Another person who is goon too soon. Her music will still live on. <3

Comment by A – February 12, 2012 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWWWWW SAD NEWS MY FAVAIRATE ACTRAS A DIED I WANT HER ALIVE…..

Comment by humah abbas – February 12, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great artist, AMAZING VOICE, but a Human Being that suffered a lot. REST IN PEACE WHITNEY HOUSTON, your song, yout talent won’t never die!
    Even Stars suffers…

Comment by fra – February 12, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney was truly one of God’s angels sent to earth with a voice as powerful as hers. I grew up with Whitney and loved her since I was a little girl. We all have flaws, and there is know judging here, but a praise to God that he allowed Whitney to come into all of our lives and bless us with song. Another legend gone, but truly wont be forgotten.

Comment by Tymetheus Meadows – February 12, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, what about her appearance on SILVER SPOONS as herself? The hilarious SNL sketch w/ Shannon & O’Donnell? The CINDERELLA remake?

Comment by Yibbet – February 12, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When true stars actually sung live and made it seem so effortless. Just makes you realize what a joke the music industry is at the moment. Nobody can hold a candle to her voice….RIP Whitney!!!

Comment by Sparky – February 12, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney made singing so easy, and her voice that let your imagination go to those places that no others made possible..for that and because your music was part of my life at one point when I needed it most, I thank you Whitney and you will be terribly missed. :(

Comment by tahina – February 12, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How Bobbie Brown outlived her I’ll never know.

Comment by Matt – February 12, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A fantastic but little known performance by Whitney was with CeCe Wynans with a version of Bridge over Troubled Water. It was for a VH1 special. You can find it on Youtube. It will make you cry. She will be missed. .

Comment by Kathy – February 12, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very surprised to hear this news. My heart goes out to her family and friends. Another talent gone far too soon. Rest in peace, Whitney.

Comment by Angela – February 12, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post