Whitney Houston Dead at 48 - Relive Some of Her Memorable TV Performances

Six-time Grammy Award winner Whitney Houston died on Saturday, at the age of 48.

According to the Associated Press, Houston was pronounced dead on Saturday afternoon in her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. The cause of death as of Saturday evening was unknown, while police told the AP they had found “no obvious signs of any criminal intent.”

Remembering Whitney Houston: A Guide to TV Specials, Marathons and More

Houston was due to appear at mentor Clive Davis’ annual pre-Grammys party and concert on Saturday night at the Hilton, and perhaps even perform. “It’s her favorite night of the year,” Davis told the AP. The event is still being held, though likely reshaped as a smaller gathering designed to celebrate Houston.

Likewise, the producers of Sunday’s Grammy Awards are likely at work deciding on how best to tribute Houston during the ceremony.

Just this past Thursday, Houston appeared at a pre-Grammys event, where she gave what would turn out to be her final performance, “Yes, Jesus Loves Me,” with Kelly Price.

Jennifer Hudson to Headline Whitney Houston Tribute at Tonight’s Grammys

As you remember Whitney Houston aka “The Voice,” consider these memorable videos and TV performances:

The music video for “I Will Always Love You” (from the soundtrack for 1992’s The Bodyguard)

A performance of the national anthem, at Super Bowl XXV, that was so stirring, you wonder how anyone else dared to sing that song ever since

“One Moment in Time,” at the 1989 Grammy Awards

1. Eliott says:

“One Moment in Time,” at the 2009 Grammy Awards:
    Think you mean 1989 ;)

2. Rock Golf says:

Please remove that cellphone video of Whitney performing yesterday. That’s not the way anyone wants to remember her.

• Rock Golf says:

Thanks, Matt, for listening.

• Gorm says:

Lets not turn her into another Marilyn Monroe and ignore her descent into drug abuse and schizophernia. Whitney Houston made terrible choices and likely died from her history of drug abuse. Dont sugar coat that for yet another generation of girls and hold her up as a twinkling star frozen in time. She was real, she went to rehab, she died too early after her ability was burned away by a crack pipe.
      Dont deify her.

• Saint Alicia says:

Get a grip, no one is deifying her. TVLine is sharing TELEVISED performances, a personal cellphone video is not in that category–it’s appropriate to remove it. So you can keep your proselytizing and insufferable attitude to yourself.

• Eliott says:

It was taken down because the video was made private not because of dignity

3. raelee514 says:

I can’t believe this is real.

4. Michael Sacal says:

Just earlier today I read that she was being approached to be a judge on X-Factor. this is very unexpected.

5. Tanya says:

That performance of the Star Bangled Banner still makes me weep everytime I hear it. (and I’m Canadian) I grew up with her music and there will never be another singer like her. RIP Whitney…

• Winnie says:

My parents bought a CD copy of her version of The Star Spangled Banner, and I loved it, too. I’m glad you, as a northern neighbor, appreciated it, too!
      I love the especially beautiful picture on the “top stories” front page, and the videos posted. Yes, her life quite publicly had ups and downs, some due to poor decision making, but the news saddened and even shocked me. I am one of those who regarded her voice as a National Treasure.

6. Alex says:

So sad. :(

7. Dusty says:

Her performance of The Star Spangled Banner is truly moving. RIP Whitney.

8. Saint Alicia says:

Unbelievable. This is so tragic. Her music (the Bodyguard soundtrack especially) is a huge part of my childhood memories, and I will always remember her beautiful, perfect voice.
    Rest in Peace, Whitney Houston. I will, unironically, always love you.

9. Lauren says:

WOW….still can’t believe it :(

10. jenna says:

So sad.
    RIP, Whitney.

11. kevin says:

RIP Whitney Houston. The music world will always love you. :(

12. me says:

sad news :(

13. Lulu Gaga says:

RIP Whitney, your beautiful voice and smile will always be in our memories. Your visit in South Africa was remarkable, Madiba will be so sad to hear the news. We love u Whitney. May your beautiful soul rest in peace.
    Lulu- Jhb, South Africa

14. Tay says:

Good bye Whitney your voice will be missed. And may your last film be as awesome as you.

15. Silvana says:

I remember when I bought my 1st Whitney album, (which was also her 1st and that it was an actual “album”!)I was a junior in college & would play “Saving All My Love” over and over again. I played that album so much that it eventually warped! Like Simon Cowell said, I choose to remember her as she was back then, when her voice was one of the most incredible I have ever heard in my own 48 years. But I hope she has now found the peace and happiness that seemed to allude her so much in her life here on earth. RIP Whitney. You will be sorely missed.

16. Margo says:

That superbowl performance….WOW WOW WOW!!
    Music has lost a vocal icon….may her soul R.I.P!

17. jeff Kantor says:

It will turn out to be a drug overdose.

18. Laura says:

Thank you for posting these….people need to remember these moments in time….of a beautiful amazing talent. RIP Whitney. You will never be forgotten.

19. veronica says:

sencillamente nolo puedo creer…. aunque analizando su vida , a pesar de que es y estaba e medio de personas siempre fue alguien muy triste y solitaria … con un sin par de problemas las drogas … siempre se sentia sola … que lastima yo la admiraba nucho su voz unica no hay q uien la iguale y una belleza fisica casi perfecta… lo q ue halla sido pues ya descanso… paz a sus restos…

20. wtfnyc says:

WOW — I haven’t seen that Star Spangled Banner performance in years, and I had forgotten how incredibly dynamic it was. Thank you for the reminder, Matt. And RIP, Whitney — whatever your personal demons, you were always a great talent, a bright star and a DIVA, in all the most amazing ways.

21. egli says:

thats a very sad new to start new day ;(
    she was and will be one of the best singer in the world.

22. Mark says:

What about her work on Boston Public? She was really sweet in that going to the Prom of a fan of hers.

23. Gailee says:

Great talent. No one but her knows what her demons were. She leaves behind a great body of work on recording, film and video.

24. Lime says:

Just watched “The Star Spangled Banner” and I’m still crying now. I can’t imagine anyone singing it better. It’s so sad that she’s gone, rest in peace, Whitney.

25. Scribe says:

First Michael and now Whitney…the musicians of my youth are passing before my eyes.
    To those people who feel like using the death as some anti-drug speech. No one is arguing with you regarding the dangers of drugs, but have some respect for those of us who loved this talented woman’s body of work and will mourn her passing.

26. Missy says:

While tragic and sad, I also believe this will turn out to be drug related. Crackheads die. Even talented ones. Lots of people are saying, not necessarily on her but other sites too, that is was “sooo unexpected. ” Really? No one, no one, actually saw this coming? I know it’s hard to believe that an icon would turn out this way but it happens everyday. Most just die in a ditch somewhere. She just happened in a swank hotel. And what is with celebrities going to die in hotels? They know they’ll be found soon? I think that’s just weird. But whatever.
    Whitney Houston died inside a long time ago. Her body just now caught up with it. Sad but…..realistically, drugs kill. It happens.

27. Lily says:

Felt so touched after seeing that video in which she sang the American anthem… and I am not even american.

28. Anne says:

This is all my fault. I kept praying for Whitney to get cancelled. I should have been more specific.

29. lipsticksocialism says:

At the Grammy’s, wow! RIP, Whitney

30. kirads09 says:

RIP Whitney. I am hoping her tremendous voice and talent will be remembered more than her struggles over recent years. So sad.

31. Asia says:

I think we all are perfectly aware of Whitney’s problems but to compare her to Marilyn Monroe come on it is okay to remember her in a great light she was a phenomenal singer during her time and a perfect example of how human we all are nobody is perfect so get off your judgmental soapbox please

32. A says:

Really sad news. :( RIP <3 Another person who is goon too soon. Her music will still live on. <3

33. humah abbas says:

AWWWWW SAD NEWS MY FAVAIRATE ACTRAS A DIED I WANT HER ALIVE…..

34. fra says:

Great artist, AMAZING VOICE, but a Human Being that suffered a lot. REST IN PEACE WHITNEY HOUSTON, your song, yout talent won’t never die!
    Even Stars suffers…

35. Tymetheus Meadows says:

Whitney was truly one of God’s angels sent to earth with a voice as powerful as hers. I grew up with Whitney and loved her since I was a little girl. We all have flaws, and there is know judging here, but a praise to God that he allowed Whitney to come into all of our lives and bless us with song. Another legend gone, but truly wont be forgotten.

36. Yibbet says:

Um, what about her appearance on SILVER SPOONS as herself? The hilarious SNL sketch w/ Shannon & O’Donnell? The CINDERELLA remake?

37. Sparky says:

When true stars actually sung live and made it seem so effortless. Just makes you realize what a joke the music industry is at the moment. Nobody can hold a candle to her voice….RIP Whitney!!!

38. tahina says:

Whitney made singing so easy, and her voice that let your imagination go to those places that no others made possible..for that and because your music was part of my life at one point when I needed it most, I thank you Whitney and you will be terribly missed.

39. Matt says:

How Bobbie Brown outlived her I’ll never know.

40. Kathy says:

A fantastic but little known performance by Whitney was with CeCe Wynans with a version of Bridge over Troubled Water. It was for a VH1 special. You can find it on Youtube. It will make you cry. She will be missed. .

41. Angela says:

Very surprised to hear this news. My heart goes out to her family and friends. Another talent gone far too soon. Rest in peace, Whitney.

42. What i don’t realize is if truth be told how you are not
    really much more neatly-preferred than you may be right
    now. You are so intelligent. You know thus
    considerably on the subject of this subject, produced me in my opinion believe it from a lot of numerous angles.
    Its like men and women are not fascinated except it’s something to accomplish with Woman gaga!
    Your own stuffs excellent. At all times handle it up!