Ratings: Shark Tank Makes a Splash, Fringe Matches Low, Supernatural Dips and Grimm Gains

ABC’s Shark Tank made a splash this Friday night, gaining 14 percent in total audience (drawing 5.9 million viewers) while surging 20 percent in the demo (hitting a 1.8 and tying Blue Bloods for the nightly win).

Among genre-TV fare, Nikita held steady with 1.45 mil and a 0.5, Grimm (5.2 mil/1.5) gained 8 percent, Fringe (3.03 mil/1.1) shed a few viewers while matching its series-low demo, and Supernatural (1.86 mil/0.7) dropped a tenth in the demo.

Turning to CBS’ drama slate, A Gifted Man (8.8 mil/1.2) added a few eyeballs but slipped a tenth in the demo, while both the CSI: NY winter finale (10.3 mil/1.7) and Blue Bloods (11.8 mil/1.8) inched up a bit.

1. James says:

YAY CSI NY nice to see it inch up a bit before it goes on a 6 week break.
    #operation9

• GAIL says:

I have been searching for CSI NY for several weeks, do you know the date of the last episode before the winter break, was it 2-10?
      Thanks

2. Jarrod says:

Should I fear for Nikita and Supernatural’s ratings or are they alright considering that they’re both in the Friday night time slot and that is the death slot?

• Walter says:

When you look at the ratings of the CW Network overall and the Friday night slot curse, Supernatural is safe (it’s actually up there with The Vampire Diaries in ratings). However, Nikita is the lowest rated show on the Network, (but Gossip Girl, Hart of Dixie, Ringer, and 90210 are in the sambe boat). So I think the latter 4 will be canceled.

• ultimate troll says:

On the CW the breakdown goes like this:
        Vampire Diaries – their highest rated show
        One Tree Hill – a zombie they finally figured out how to kill
        Everything else – shows where cancellation will have only a slightly negative impact on viewership.

• KS says:

Are you freaking Insane? Have you forgotten about the Supernatural fandom? We would be heart broken if the show ends. One Tree Hill is boring teenage girl Sh*t. Supernatural is an awesome show, with the best story arc, better than Vampire Diaries. We are ready to watch SPN for 10 more seasons. >_>

• lorna says:

Well SPN just won 2 PCA, so maybe they’ll get new viewers this season. Who knows. Sadly, I think Ringer will get canceled, but hoping not. The new CW pres seems aight, too bad he wasn’t here a year ago to save the amazing Life Unexpected.

• Julie says:

Supernatural cannot end its game without actually having to go through the same publicity Smallville did in its last season. I doubt the network would be crazy enough just to cancel it like that considering its strong fanbase. So if Supernatural has to end, they will let us know that it’s an official final season.

• Joy Moore says:

I hope Supernatural stays up there. I hate to see Ringer go I enjoy it but if it has to go between that & SPN, I want SPN to stay. Be my valentine goes to boys and crew of SPN.

• Meg says:

I would worry. CW might not want to keep spending money on a show that’s ratings dip more and more every season. And honestly the show should have long been cancelled.

• Kalie says:

That’s your opinion. Obviously, The CW and a lot of fans don’t agree. “Supernatural” is the best show on the network and it will likely get another season. It’s not true that the ratings have dipped more and more with every season, and shows do tend to shed viewers the older they get. It’s not surprising that not as many people are watching it in its 7th season.

• BRETT says:

How…contradictory.

• Julie says:

And I think what helps this show even more is the fact that it was a large and crazy-in-our-awesome-special-way-winks fandom base all around the world and the idea here is that it’s not just the CW ratings that matters in the end. This fandom is crazy attached to these boys (even if we keep fighting over and over about who has the more screentime and all lol). And besides, all shows get to lose some viewers at some point and let’s not forget to add that the CW’s ratings can’t ever be compared to what CBS and the other networks have (if only CW was available for EVERYONE…)

• KS says:

Look at the other shows ratings and how much they dip. TVD used to get 2.1/2.2. Now its hardly gets 1.2. So, they have to cancel TVD too. FYI, Supernatural has lost the least percentage of viewers, than any other CW show, thanks to loyal fans. And it has won Two People Choice awards, including best show on network TV. Nobody can cancel Supernatural except Jared and Jensen.

• Liz says:

I don’t think you need to worry about Supernatural. It’s the 2nd strongest show on The CW. Nikita on the other hand has had very poor ratings this season. It and Ringer will probably be the first 2 shows to get canceled after Remodeled.

• Nikki H. says:

I think Supernatural is safe. I’m surprised about the ratings considering how awesome it was last night but I’m not sure about Nikita. I love that show but the ratings have been low this season, which is too bad.

3. Jamie says:

Weren’t Supernatural’s ratings last week 1.63 mil/0.7 (according to your post last week)? Where was the drop?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

In last week’s finals, SPN had been adjusted up to a 0.8.

• Jamie says:

Ah, thanks! It seems kind of a matter of apples and oranges to compare unadjusted ratings to adjusted ratings though, since they calculate different things.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I once used to think the same and would compare prelims to prelims, until the more ratings-savvy readers began noting that I was off the mark and the only reporter to do so. EW, TVBTN, Zap… they all compare prelims to finals. So a few years ago, I began comparing prelims to finals, and this week everyone is declaring SPN “down.”

• Erin says:

The problem with that is how will we ever get an accurate rating for a show that adjusts up? SPN was adjusted up this week as well, so unless they do a clean 0.8 they will be reported “down” when really they held steady. …of course with Mark Pelligrino returning this week anything other than up is probably a disappointment.

• KS says:

It seems to be pretty harsh to use the word dip, when it has gained many viewers than the previous episode and ratings are only down a tenth with a 90% chance of upward adjustment in the finale. Why does everyone hate our little poor SPN so much? But, Thanks for the Sam picture. Baby Bro looks so terrified by the clowns. :mrgreen:

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

For you, I just now looked back at SPN’s eight most recent original episodes, and the prelim number was adjusted up exactly 50% of the time. TVLine delivers some of the best SPN coverage in all the land, no hating here.

• KS says:

I am sorry for being harsh. Was little disturbed then, seeing my favorite show down a tenth. When is it going to be upgraded to A Sure Thing. Looking forward for that.

4. austen. says:

I really wish Fringe would go up in the ratings, it deserves it.

• Barb says:

I agree, I enjoy this program the most of any currently on TV. I don’t understand why more people aren’t watching.

• J says:

Because there is no way to jump into the show and have a clue of what is going on.

• Mcat says:

I jumped in near the beginning of season 3 and was confused as heck, but it was so insanely good that I kept watching anyway. You just need to use your brain to figure it out, but I guess the majority of American viewers don’t want to do that.

• Alienate says:

I’ll tell you why I stopped watching.
        Incoherent plot lines.
        Can you explain to me how Alt-Broyles, who was KILLED a season or two ago, is back alive like nothing happened?

• raven says:

Because it’s not the same timeline (Peter being gone changed everything). So he didn’t get killed helping Olivia escape.

• Alienate says:

Thanks!
            With an infinite number of possible timelines, I quit after viewing three.
            As mentioned below, I’ll now spend my time seeing how many timelines The New Girl discovers. :)

• Alex says:

It’s not incoherent. It’s a different timeline. Maybe Teen Mom would be a better show for you to watch.

• Christine says:

I wish too ! I don’t want this show to end ! :(

5. Kerry says:

We need better education in America if that many people are watching those brainless CBS crime shows.

6. Irishgirl says:

Sigh….the Fringe numbers make me sad. Last night was an excellent episode, especially for those who are not big fans of the timeline reboot. It was the first time the interactions between Walter, Peter, and Olivia felt like the original timeline.

• Giselle says:

I totally agree!! Last night’s Fringe episode was the best episode of the season so far.. probably one of my favourite episodes of the whole series. I really wish Fringe’s ratings would get higher.

7. ? says:

Whats wrong w people who dnt watch nikita? The show is excellent. And no nikita is nt the worst rated cw show the honor goes to ringer

8. Dwayne says:

Fringe ratings depress me greatly! I don’t know if it because it doesn’t have a strong lead-in or something else! I hope Fox doesn’t cancel it yet!
    As far as any CW shows, they’re safe for now because the channel is still new so the bar isn’t really set too high. If any of those shows were on any of the other big networks, they would have been cancelled by now.

• panda says:

Isn’t it Kitchen Nightmares the lead-in?

• Cloudy Knight says:

I like Kitchen Nightmares, in fact it’s the only “reality” show I watch with any frequency, since each episode is independent and doesn’t rely on watching previous episodes. I LOVE Fringe, but it is the exact opposite. A person would be completely lost jumping in at this point. It seems to me that the two aren’t very compatible in terms of one leading into the other. I’m not sure how that would effect the ratings, or what possible solution there is to Fringe’s ratings troubles.

• Dwayne says:

Yea, but not many people consider it can’t miss TV. It needs a stronger lead-in scripted show with a built in fanbase. Problem is Fox doesn’t have many timeslots up for grabs. They insist on wasting 4 hours each with American Idol every Wednesday & Thursday. Then, Tuesday is their comedy night. That just leaves Monday & Friday as possible days to air Fringe.

9. tvaddict says:

Really hoping my Friday night CW shows get another season! I wish Nikita would go up in the ratings some because its numbers are a little depressing

10. valezza says:

I have a strange feeling that Fringe is more popular outside of America rather than inside. Or is it just the internet amplifies the yearnings for renewal of the show?

• Ben says:

It’s popular, but it suffers from the same problem. You can’t jump in. Eventually (season 2 or 3) it got buried late at night in my country. I wait for DVDs and watch it that way, I’m sure that there are many others like me in that way.

• valezza says:

I don’t see how Fringe mythology is more convoluted than say x-files’. The ratings have been steadily declining from the very first season, yet the season 1 and 2 had pretty much consistent procedural episodes. I guess, it either clicks with the audience from the beginning, or it doesn’t at all despite how great the mythology is. I, personally, think Fringe deserves 5 seasons more than X-files ever did.

• CJ says:

X-Files barely had a “mythology” when it ran on Friday nights. That stuff didn’t really get going (other than a few brief scenes) until after it moved to Sunday nights. So people who started watching it then didn’t have any serious catching up to do.

11. Heather says:

What about Who Do You Think You Are?

12. GK says:

Supernatural and Fringe deserve better ratings even for a friday night. Can’t the networks see how bad it is for genre shows, especially when pitted against one another!! And I really really wanted to like Grimm, but its like the show I wanna watch just so that I could fall asleep. It is that boring! Seeing it gain ratings is quite disheartening.

• anabelle says:

I love Grimm and am thrilled it rose even slightly in the ratings! It’s a clever show and it puts a spin on fairytales.

• Jen says:

Its a badly done procedural that attracts viewers with the fairytale gimmick.

• Dwayne says:

I love Grimm as well! It is a very dark and well written show. Much more better than OUAT which is all over the damn place with their storylines

• GK says:

That maybe due to the fact that OUAT atleast tries to engage us emotionally (and succeeds) while Grimm (neither hate, nor love the show) is just another drab procedural with a contrived overall arc tacked into the weak episodes in the name of fairytales. I think the wolf guy would have been a much better lead than Nick.

• Darcy says:

Eh, give it another chance. Nick is really coming into his “Grimmness.” Totally different show than OUAT. Friday night’s spiderfest was among the creepiest TV shows I’ve ever seen, and largely because the villain was very three-dimensional. I think this show’s really finding a groove.

• Eric says:

Truer words havent been spoken!

• CJ says:

It depends on what genre the shows are a part of. Sci-Fi shows competing against each other would have a problem, but a soap opera competing against a sci-fi or fantasy show would be in an advantageous position.

13. Freyja says:

This is kinda misleading, because Supernatural got the same exact 0.07 in the prelims as last week, only more viewers. So really it didn’t go down any at all. When you compare the prelims..
    If your going to compare, why not compare prelims week to week then when finals are released on Monday compare Finals to Finals. But you shouldn’t compare Prelims to Finals because that makes no sense at all.
    The way you worded that I thought for sure SPN got a 0.05 like 1.55 million viewers lol but I guess it’s all about getting the page clicks in the end isn’t it hehehe =)

14. Snapy says:

Last night’s episode was one of the best Supernaturals of the season! It’s the one show I most look forward to watching each week. Gimme Season 8!

15. Silvin says:

I know the reason I don’t watch is because my impression is that to enjoy it I would have needed to watch from the start of the series. I do wish I had watched because I hear so many good things about it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the Fringe fans since I hate when quality shows get cancelled while crap like Rules of Engagement continues to suck up the airwaves.

16. Renee says:

So glad Grimm’s rating improved! It’s a decent show. Not quite there yet, but it is steadily improving.

17. LC says:

I totally agree!!!! I have been in love with Fringe for the past 3 yrs. Since I get the iTunes downloads (and could watch/listen while working, previously) I knew all the episodes backwards and forwards. I really don’t know this season that well bc it just hasn’t been the same show. Most episodes, I’m disappointed with, but I’ve hung in there. Last night was the BIG payoff!! It finally felt like the old show with a few differences! I can’t believe how happy I was to hear Peter scream “Walter” as he came to rescue him. :::tear::: Good god I hope we’ve reached a turning point and I hope to god that Fringe gets at LEAST one more season—I
    want at least one but I’m HOPING for more. So sad last nights episode didn’t get the viewing it deserved.

18. bob says:

The problem with fringe is that it needs to focus on the big picture plot not the “problem of the week” plots. The ones that do the big picture are vastly better.

19. Grace says:

I think alot of SPN fans are missing Cas and Bobby. Maybe bring them back????

20. Nancy says:

I love A GIFTED MAN and CSI:N.Y. and SO HOPE they are renewed. I am losing my favorite show, [H]OUSE, and I’d really like something to watch.
    About SPN. How about bringing Gabriel/The Trickster back. Richard Speight Jr. was GREAT in that role!!

21. Norman says:

Please renew NIKITA for more seasons
    Great show..great actors

22. Ben says:

NIKITA is great show
    Please renew the show for more seasons
    Maggie is rocks