Modern Family: Look Who's Playing Cam's Dad

Get More: Casting News, News

Modern Family Barry CorbinBarry Corbin has snagged a pivotal branch on the Modern Family tree.

The veteran actor — whose myriad TV credits include Northern Exposure, One Tree Hill and, more recently, The Closer (playing dad to Kyra Sedgwick’s Brenda) — has been cast as Merle Tucker, the father of Eric Stonestreet’s Cam, a show rep confirms to TVLine.

Merle, who surfaces during May sweeps, is described as solid, masculine and gruff.

On Thursday, Stonestreet tweeted a photo of Corbin at the table read for the episode above the caption, “Fans of Modern Family: Please meet Cam’s Dad, Merle Tucker.”

Comments (12)

• Perfect. I will always remember him as the General from Wargames. Colonel, take us to DEFCON 1.

Comment by Tikkanen – February 10, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can test your knowledge of the “Modern Family” family tree at the site linked to my name.

Comment by Rock Golf – February 10, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember him from the movie Six Pack with Kenny Rogers. I loved him as Whitey on OTH and hated that he’s been gone from it now.

Comment by Linda – February 10, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH I like him! Loved him on Northern Exposure and OTH

Comment by sarah – February 10, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww, Whitey! Love him and I wish he were appearing in the final season of OTH, but I can’t wait to see him on Modern Family.

Comment by Liz – February 10, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool! Good choice. And I remember him from Wargames, too.
    “Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I’ve come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks.”

Comment by PJM – February 10, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHITEY!!!!!

Comment by Captain – February 10, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Barry Corbin, I love Modern Family, and I am currently overcome with my love for YOU, Mr. Ausiello, for using the word “myriad” properly!

Comment by Sherri Marshall – February 10, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, does this mean he’s Brenda’s brother? Oh, wait he lives in NYC with his ‘roommate’ in a tiny one bedroom. (Sorry, you have to be a Closer geek to get that).

Comment by TaMara – February 10, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love modern family…too funny ..the whole cast is perfect…don’t change a thing!! :)

Comment by Rach – May 17, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi. I honestly appreciate your page. It is usually that attractive as well as important form that I
    aint able to discontinue checking that. I’m also certainly not confident if perhaps you in the past experienced about my cheat. It’s called hack mfc password
    protected galleries and you are planning to actually like it.

Comment by hack mfc password protected galleries – August 8, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post