Modern Family: Look Who's Playing Cam's Dad

Modern Family Barry CorbinBarry Corbin has snagged a pivotal branch on the Modern Family tree.

The veteran actor — whose myriad TV credits include Northern Exposure, One Tree Hill and, more recently, The Closer (playing dad to Kyra Sedgwick’s Brenda) — has been cast as Merle Tucker, the father of Eric Stonestreet’s Cam, a show rep confirms to TVLine.

Merle, who surfaces during May sweeps, is described as solid, masculine and gruff.

On Thursday, Stonestreet tweeted a photo of Corbin at the table read for the episode above the caption, “Fans of Modern Family: Please meet Cam’s Dad, Merle Tucker.”

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News

1. Tikkanen says:

Perfect. I will always remember him as the General from Wargames. Colonel, take us to DEFCON 1.

2. Rock Golf says:

You can test your knowledge of the “Modern Family” family tree at the site linked to my name.

3. Linda says:

I remember him from the movie Six Pack with Kenny Rogers. I loved him as Whitey on OTH and hated that he’s been gone from it now.

4. sarah says:

YEAH I like him! Loved him on Northern Exposure and OTH

5. Liz says:

Aww, Whitey! Love him and I wish he were appearing in the final season of OTH, but I can’t wait to see him on Modern Family.

6. PJM says:

Cool! Good choice. And I remember him from Wargames, too.
    “Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I’ve come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks.”

7. Captain says:

WHITEY!!!!!

8. Sherri Marshall says:

I love Barry Corbin, I love Modern Family, and I am currently overcome with my love for YOU, Mr. Ausiello, for using the word “myriad” properly!

9. TaMara says:

Wait, does this mean he’s Brenda’s brother? Oh, wait he lives in NYC with his ‘roommate’ in a tiny one bedroom. (Sorry, you have to be a Closer geek to get that).

10. Rach says:

Love modern family…too funny ..the whole cast is perfect…don’t change a thing!! :)

11. Hi. I honestly appreciate your page. It is usually that attractive as well as important form that I
    aint able to discontinue checking that. I’m also certainly not confident if perhaps you in the past experienced about my cheat. It’s called hack mfc password
    protected galleries and you are planning to actually like it.