Pilots: John Goodman to Reunite with Roseanne Barr For NBC's Downwardly Mobile

John Goodman Downwardly MobileRoseanne Barr‘s NBC pilot Downwardly Mobile is looking more like a reboot of her classic ’90s sitcom with each passing day — not that there’s anything wrong with that.

To wit, she’s thisclose to casting her Roseanne leading man, John Goodman, to co-star in the comedy, which stars Barr as the proprietor of a mobile home park and surrogate mother to all of the unique people who live there in a challenging economy.

Goodman will play a man who works at the park and has a buddy relationship with Barr’s character, according to our sister site Deadline.com.

The prospective series also features a healthy Roseanne pedigree behind the scenes. Eric Gilliland, who was an EP on Roseanne, will serve as showrunner, and the sitcom’s longtime director, Gail Mancuso, will helm the pilot.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Pilots

1. Kristen says:

Hope this works out. Would love to see the two of them back on my TV together again.

• wendy fox says:

I loved the show Roseanne. I adore John Goodman. It will be great to see them working together again on tv. I hope this works out!!!

2. ML says:

That’s awesome. Only thing is they will have to top Roseanne.
    I’m sure they know that but that’s going to be difficult

3. kirads09 says:

This will be interesting. Could be very good if they make it fresh and original.
    If they simply try to “recreate” Roseanne (but in a mobile home park) I don’t think that will fly. At least not with me.

4. megan says:

Only bad thing about this…it’s on NBC. However, I have high hopes it works!

• Grazie says:

That was my exact thought, I worry it will never live up to Roseanne, if it has to air on a Network no one watches, sad.

5. Megan says:

I have mixed feelings about this. I love her old show, but Roseanne Barr seems to have lost her mind…

6. Rachael says:

Nice … Roseanne was one of the best sitcoms ever.

7. Jake says:

Oh wow! i really hope this show works out! will definitely watch it.

8. Chase says:

Sweet! Just so long as the last season isn’t a lotto fantasy induced by Goodman’s death, then I’m thrilled!

9. Cloudy Knight says:

Hard to believe that with all the options John Goodman has, he’d voluntarily re-enter the world or Roseanne. That woman is crazy.

10. Angela says:

Given that I grew up in a trailer park, I find it kind of refreshing to see an idea for a series that is actually willing to explore the lives of these people. Hopefully it won’t conform to the stereotypes people have of those who live in trailer parks, and will actually be honest and realistic and funny, like “Roseanne” was (add me to the list of those who liked that show).
    May have to check this out if it gets the go-ahead to be on TV.

11. Dot says:

This actully sounds super funny! Yeay as long as parks and rec doesn’t get canceled

12. Midori says:

They should stick this on ABC with Tim Allen’s new Home Improvement and have a 90s night. :)

13. MattW says:

Like Tim Allen’s return, the show will premiere with big numbers. But also like Tim’s show, I think the audience and demo levels will slowly fade.

14. Zack B says:

Sold!
    Though I can’t believe it will be on NBC. Did someone not get the memo: reality tv, or genre shows only so that nothing is on for long enough to pay the actors for success (like Friends). Much cheaper to run a network of failed shows!

15. SarahGoulden says:

I will watch Roseanne return as I watched Fran Drescher and as I watched Tim Allen, just because I appreciate the work they have done in the past…..and I will give everything a chance they come up with…..and I will give it time…..in this fast changing time and age it´s hard to come up with new or otherwise catching shows and characters…..but I will always give them the benefit of the doubt…even if it doesn´t start amazing right ahead…..I´m sure and I have confidence in them, that if given the chance and time they will surprise and enlighten and amuse and teach me….like they did before.

16. Shannon says:

Does anyone know when the show starts, date, time?