Emilie De Ravin Raves About Once Upon a Time's Lost Treats (Alas, No 'Squirrel Baby' for Belle)

Get More: Interviews

Lost scribes turned Once Upon a Time creators Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz didn’t have to ask twice when they courted Emilie de Ravin to be the Belle of the fairyland land that was in “Skin Deep,” this Sunday’s episode of the new ABC series.

“They were like, ‘Hey, do you want to play a princess?’ And I’m like, ‘Hell yeah!’” the actress tells TVLine with a laugh.

Though de Ravin notes that she was never the type of little girl to dress as a princess, she counted the classic tale of Beauty and the Beast among her favorites “because it had such a fantastic moral to it. Belle is a strong young woman – there’s nothing insipid about her – and we talked a lot about emphasizing that.”

Angel Alum Amy Acker Previews Her ‘Very Pink’ Once Upon a Time Visit

In this variation on the story, Belle barters herself to the resident “beast” – aka Robert Carlyle’s Rumpelstiltskin – in order to save her father’s life and help their land survive the Ogre War. “She takes this chance to do what she’s always wanted to do, which is be brave and be the hero, even if it means giving up a lot, including her father and her best friend,” says the actress. And Gaston? “Um, Gaston she doesn’t really mind leaving,” de Ravin laughs.

As the episode’s title indicates, Belle’s relationship with Rumple will demonstrate “that love is not skin deep,” de Ravin previews. “Their relationship starts off with fear on her behalf and him not knowing how to deal with this chick in his castle. But as she becomes more relaxed, that interests and amuses him. He sees that she can be this kind of doting, sweet girl.”

As a result of this mutual eye-opening, “There is a progression from friendship to something maybe more,” de Ravin teases.

PaleyFest Update: The Once Upon a Time Panel’s Cast of Characters Is Revealed

Watch a preview of de Ravin as Belle, then read on for more:

I asked if it’s a bit difficult to get through a Rumpelstiltskin scene as Carlyle delivers his captivating and thoroughly colorful spin on the imp, wearing “gold face” and all. But de Ravin maintains, “I was more moved by it, because I felt sorry for him — I mean, he’s got these bloody contacts in that I’m sure are so annoying, the poor thing!”

All told, de Ravin – who marathoned through early Once episodes after booking the role – says, “I really love what [Robert] has done with Rumple, and I love Mr. Gold. They’re similar in a sense, obviously, but the subtle differences are cool.” (As for whether she also appears as Belle’s Storybrooke counterpart, the Aussie beauty would only hint, “Possibly!”)

Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Nikita’s Noah Bean Lands ‘Stable’ Gig

Of course, Once is known for scattering Lost “Easter eggs” in episodes, be it a bottle of MacCutcheon whiskey or a well-chosen house address. “I’ve noticed the Apollo [candy] bars, Damon [Lindelof]‘s weatherman thing…. It’s a nice little give-back to the fans,” de Ravin says.

So, in this episode, might we catch a cameo by Claire’s squirrel baby….?

“Oh, totally,” de Ravin sarcastically answers. “She carries it around the whole time!”

Comments (11)

• I like Emilie de Ravin as Belle and I like Robert Carlyle as Rumpel, BUT I just can’t take this combination seriously. I love fractured fairy tales but this just doesn’t work for me. I mean, it’s funny and not in a good way. He’s “spinning” and that just comes across as silly because he’s also supposed to be the “Beast.” And then his laugh? Well, I laughed. This is just bizarre. They are both great actors, but I just don’t get this. It’s not because of the way he looks, it’s because he’s Rumpelstiltskin the baby stealer spinning his wheel as Belle is there in a blue dress as he maniacally laughs. Just NO. I feel bad that I’m laughing at this because I want to like it but I just can’t.

Comment by AT – February 10, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am totally a sucker for these kinds of twists on standard fairytale storylines and I am really intrigued to see how this plays out. Thanks for the preview!

Comment by Q – February 10, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely love it. I hate all the current romantic storylines on Once, but this one just won be over with one single scene. Sunday needs to get here sooner!

Comment by Mellie – February 10, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So long as they keep up the interesting revisions on the fairytales I’ll be happy. It’s when things become too familiar that it just feels like a television adaptation of stories we already know.
    That and I kinda hate Emma. That will likely get me into some trouble among fans, but the guest stars on the show have been so much more energetic and dynamic – and Mary Margaret and David are so much better suited for the leads.
    Argh!

Comment by bitchstolemyremote – February 10, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Belle is cute but my first ship is Mr Gold and Emma ;)

Comment by sel – February 10, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I was torn about Rumple’s love being Belle because there is something about Mr.Gold/Emma that is intriguing and makes me want to see more, especially now that Graham is dead.

Comment by Kath – February 11, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The whole premise of this show is fairytales with a twist, a new telling, so I think that casting Rumpel as the beast fits in well with that concept.
    I started watching this show because I watch anything that Robert Carlyle is in. I am enjoying the show very much so far but for me the main reason to watch is Carlyle’s amazing performance in the dual roles of Rumpel and Mr. Gold. As for his love interest being Belle, I think it is going to be very interesting to see where the writers go with this. I like the pairing myself, and hope to see more of the two both in fairytale land and in Storybrooke.

Comment by nicksmom – February 11, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing show. Emma, Evil Qeen/Regina and Mr Gold/Rumple are my fav characters.

Comment by CAT – February 12, 2012 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is going to be so good. Love Emilie de Ravin and can’t get enough of Robert Carlyle.

Comment by kirads09 – February 12, 2012 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for this, I bet it will be my favorite episode.
    Love that Rumpel is the beast. Love that Emilie is playing Belle.
    I’m already shipping them, haha. They’re the only couple that interests me on the show so far.
    I hope they bring Belle back many more times. Maybe she’ll become a series regular for season 2? I wish!

Comment by Jess – February 12, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! This RumpleStiltskin Cat is just too much! And the Evil Witch? … Like her a whole lot toooo ….. Bella?….. This show surprisingly kicks assss

Comment by Steve Van Smack – February 18, 2012 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post