Pilot Scoop: Justin Kirk to Headline NBC Comedy Animal Kingdom – Is He Out of Weeds?

Get More: Casting News, News, Pilots

Justin Kirk Animal KingdomIs Uncle Andy quitting Weeds cold turkey?

Justin Kirk has landed the lead role in NBC’s comedy pilot Animal Kingdom, news that presumably puts the future of his role in the long-running Showtime satire in doubt.

Or not.

A rep for the cabler could not be reached for comment, but I’m told Kirk could easily appear in Weeds‘ upcoming eighth season since it shoots before Animal Kingdom would ramp up production later this summer (assuming it gets picked up to series). But first he needs to come to a contractual agreement with Showtime since his pact ended with Season 7. According to out sister site Deadline.com, negotiations are underway.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

In Kingdom, Kirk will play Dr. George Coleman, a House-like veterinarian who loves animals but usually hates their owners.

Arrested Development alums Anthony and Joe Russo will direct the pilot. Brian Gatewood and Alex Tanaka penned the script and will serve as exec producers.

Comments (18)

• Good for him! Uncle Andy has looooong been THE best thing about Weeds. Well him and Kevin Nealon.

Comment by KJ – February 9, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Andy is so much more entertaining than Nancy. Weeds without Andy is not Weeds at all. If they can’t sign him back for the 8th season they shouldn’t even bother making it.

Comment by Seriously – February 9, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree he’s the best part of Weeds. Nancy and her sons have become so unlikeable, that Andy is the only character left to really root for. If Andy’s gone, I’m gone.

Comment by Delena – February 10, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • update your system here free

Comment by technostockupdate.blogspot.com – February 24, 2012 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Justin Kirk!! He’s what has kept me with WEEDS through all of these years. But I agree that it’s time for him to move to a new project. Unfortunately I dont love the idea of more NBC comedies that are great but get horrific ratings…

Comment by joe – February 9, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for him but I really hope he doesn’t leave Weeds.

Comment by Laura – February 9, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like it might be good, but it’s NBC, so I don’t think we need to worry about Andy going anywhere.

Comment by E – February 9, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks, Justin’s one of the only reasons I still watch Weeds. I still want he and Nancy to get together!

Comment by Rachel – February 9, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!

Comment by Laura – February 9, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want Andy and Nancy together too. Despite the fact that Andy is way to good for Nancy, they are perfect for each other.

Comment by Tao – February 10, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this is the last season of weeds it would make sense he is out looking. Hell have finished filming prior to having to film the new season should it get ordered to season.

Comment by jasin – February 9, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weeds needs to end anyway. I stopped watching in the middle of season 7, and it was a struggle getting that far. Like others have said, Justin Kirk was pretty much the only reason I watched so long. He is a great actor who deserves better than what Weeds has become. Sounds like this could be a good show, so I wish him the best no matter what happens.

Comment by Lindsey – February 9, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm. I don’t know how I feel…. I love Justin but definitely do not want him to leave Weeds. However, if it’s the last season and this won’t interfere with filming… then I guess it’s all good. I always wish him well. He has been awesome as Andy Botwin!

Comment by Eliza – February 9, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watch Weeds to see Justin and Kevin Nealon. Guess the new sitcom kills my hopes for an “Andy and Doug” Weeds spinoff.

Comment by chloe – February 9, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather Weeds end than Kirk leaving. Or, he does both shows.

Comment by D – February 9, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s the main reason Weeds has made it so long. He’s by far the best character on the show so good for Justin Kirk! It’s about time he got his own show! The dude is HILARIOUS.

Comment by Natalie – February 11, 2012 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • update your mind here

Comment by technostocks – February 24, 2012 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justin Kirk is an absolute tremendous talent. He’s, by far, the best thing happening on Weeds. And regardless which of these shows that he decides to pursue (or both, God willing), he will be amazing. He’s long overdue in getting the attention he deserves. I’m so happy to read that there are others out there that appreciate him as much.

Comment by kanevixen – April 9, 2012 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post