Pilot Scoop: Justin Kirk to Headline NBC Comedy Animal Kingdom – Is He Out of Weeds?

Justin Kirk Animal KingdomIs Uncle Andy quitting Weeds cold turkey?

Justin Kirk has landed the lead role in NBC’s comedy pilot Animal Kingdom, news that presumably puts the future of his role in the long-running Showtime satire in doubt.

Or not.

A rep for the cabler could not be reached for comment, but I’m told Kirk could easily appear in Weeds‘ upcoming eighth season since it shoots before Animal Kingdom would ramp up production later this summer (assuming it gets picked up to series). But first he needs to come to a contractual agreement with Showtime since his pact ended with Season 7. According to out sister site Deadline.com, negotiations are underway.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

In Kingdom, Kirk will play Dr. George Coleman, a House-like veterinarian who loves animals but usually hates their owners.

Arrested Development alums Anthony and Joe Russo will direct the pilot. Brian Gatewood and Alex Tanaka penned the script and will serve as exec producers.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Pilots

1. KJ says:

Good for him! Uncle Andy has looooong been THE best thing about Weeds. Well him and Kevin Nealon.

2. joe says:

I love Justin Kirk!! He’s what has kept me with WEEDS through all of these years. But I agree that it’s time for him to move to a new project. Unfortunately I dont love the idea of more NBC comedies that are great but get horrific ratings…

3. Laura says:

I’m happy for him but I really hope he doesn’t leave Weeds.

4. E says:

Sounds like it might be good, but it’s NBC, so I don’t think we need to worry about Andy going anywhere.

5. Rachel says:

This sucks, Justin’s one of the only reasons I still watch Weeds. I still want he and Nancy to get together!

6. jasin says:

If this is the last season of weeds it would make sense he is out looking. Hell have finished filming prior to having to film the new season should it get ordered to season.

7. Lindsey says:

Weeds needs to end anyway. I stopped watching in the middle of season 7, and it was a struggle getting that far. Like others have said, Justin Kirk was pretty much the only reason I watched so long. He is a great actor who deserves better than what Weeds has become. Sounds like this could be a good show, so I wish him the best no matter what happens.

8. Eliza says:

Hmm. I don’t know how I feel…. I love Justin but definitely do not want him to leave Weeds. However, if it’s the last season and this won’t interfere with filming… then I guess it’s all good. I always wish him well. He has been awesome as Andy Botwin!

9. chloe says:

I only watch Weeds to see Justin and Kevin Nealon. Guess the new sitcom kills my hopes for an “Andy and Doug” Weeds spinoff.

10. D says:

I’d rather Weeds end than Kirk leaving. Or, he does both shows.

11. Natalie says:

He’s the main reason Weeds has made it so long. He’s by far the best character on the show so good for Justin Kirk! It’s about time he got his own show! The dude is HILARIOUS.

12. technostocks says:

update your mind here

13. kanevixen says:

Justin Kirk is an absolute tremendous talent. He’s, by far, the best thing happening on Weeds. And regardless which of these shows that he decides to pursue (or both, God willing), he will be amazing. He’s long overdue in getting the attention he deserves. I’m so happy to read that there are others out there that appreciate him as much.