Ratings: The River Fails to Scare Up Big Crowd, NCIS No. 200 Tops Night With Season High

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

A disappointing amount of people chose to take a ride up ABC’s The River on Tuesday night. The thriller-chiller drew 8.2 million total viewers and a 2.5 demo rating with its 9 o’clock premiere, then slipped to 6.8 mil and a 2.2 for its second episode.

For comparison’s sake, ABC’s other drama premieres this season netted out as follows:

* Once Upon a Time: 12.8 million viewers, 3.9 rating
* Pan Am: 10.8 mil, 3.1
* Revenge: 10 mil, 3.3
* Charlie’s Angels: 8.7 mil, 2.1
* The River (two-hour average): 7.5 mil, 2.4

So… yeah. Bummer. But for what it’s worth, next week’s episode of The River is my favorite of the first three. Moving on….

NCIS‘ Michael Weatherly Accepts TVLine’s Ultimate Law-Enforcement Crush Award!

Topping Tuesday in both total audience and in the demo was the 200th episode of NCIS, which held steady with 20.8 million viewers and a 4.1 rating. NCIS: Los Angeles led out of that with 16.1 mil and a 3.1, dipping 3 and 6 percent from its last fresh eppy.

UPDATE: Per final tallies, NCIS was adjusted up to a season-high 20.98 million viewers, with a 4.2 demo rating.

Elsewhere on the night:

8 pm | Glee placed a distant second behind NCIS, drawing 7.7 million total viewers and a 3.2 rating, down 14 percent week-to-week. A double dose of Last Man Standing averaged 7.86 mil and a 2.4, down 8 percent. 90210 held steady at 1.36 mil/0.7.

9 pm | Fox’s New Girl (6.9 mil/3.5) shed a few eyeballs but was flat with her time slot-winning demo, while Raising Hope (4.7 mil/2.2) gained 10 percent in the demo. Ringer dropped a rough 17 percent, hitting 1.15 million viewers and a 0.5 demo rating. I gotta tell you, that was one confusing episode, for Henry as well as viewers.

10 pm | Unforgettable inched up 5 percent to dominate the hour in total viewers (with 11.7 million), and tied The River for the demo win (with a 2.2). Parenthood (4.6 mil/1.6) dipped 6 percent.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

Tags: ,

Comments (66)

• It did worse than Charlie’s Angels? Yikes.

Comment by Marcus – February 8, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • An epic fail! Like Ringer…

Comment by GGMustDie – February 8, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I happen to really like both of those shows. But the sad truth is that people mostly just want to watch cop shows and Snookie. These days the better the show the less people seem to watch it.

Comment by martine – February 10, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville’s 200th episode was way more better than NCIS 200 because NCIS did not really have a point just loose ends does not make sense what caused Gibbs have flashbacks or seeing dead people.

Comment by OnceUponATime – February 8, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it turned out better than I expected.

Comment by aleksa – February 8, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS’ 200th episode was one of the best milestone series in recent years. TV’s #1 show will definitely have 200 more to come. :) :)

Comment by kevin – February 8, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh gosh I hope not. I can’t imagine that it has more than another 5 good seasons, the actors won’t enjoy doing it forever. I don’t want to see an NCIS post-Gibbs.

Comment by Ben – February 8, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have to disagree with you there. Ep was a big letdown and failed to deliver on all the hype (why am I even surprised?).
      Glasberg should be flogged for his lies (and barred from writing landmark eps in general); all that talk is what really magnified the ep’s “shortcomings” (to put it nicely).

Comment by Saint Alicia – February 8, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hi Kevin – I agree that was a milestone-worthy ep, but actually, this episode did NOT perform better than “A Desperate Man”. Final numbers for that one were adjusted up to 21.03M. That’s incredible considering this 200th episode was much more hyped up, too.
      I liked the ep, but I didn’t “love” it. It was too “busy”, if that makes sense. There was enough time for the viewer to digest all the various AU’s, so you felt rushed while trying to watch it. I also disagree about NCIS renewing for umpteen more seasons.
      Sorry, but….The End is Near for our beloved show.
      Mr. Harmon is getting older and has other show biz endeavors he’s involved in, and Mr. McCallum is REALLY getting up there in age. I wouldn’t want to keep watching without the main cast members there. A show like this would be better served and remembered by bowing out fashionably while it’s still extremely popular. You don’t want to fizz out slowly like Law & Order did. That would be a Diaster.

Comment by Dani – February 8, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kind of felt like the paranormal activities movies did…predictable. Sure they make you jump, but so does a person walking around the corner in your office building if you weren’t paying attention. That’s kind of how this show makes you feel. It looks like it could be neat, if they got away from the corny camera antics. I mean, did it not seem obvious that a doll behind the camera man would close its eyes when the camera guy was focused on the doll in front of him?
    From my perspective, the main issue with all the P.A. movies and this show is WHO DOESN’T PAY ATTENTION TO THE CREEPY KID/GIRL/WOMAN SAYING DON’T GO? Haven’t these people seen poltergeist?

Comment by Sarah – February 8, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Add to that the room that was welded shut, from the OUTSIDE! Who thinks, hey, I know a great idea, let’s OPEN this room that someone OBVIOUSLY took GREAT PAINS TO SEAL SHUT, that sounds like a great idea! But I kind of like the camera format, and while the “Hey, I’m going to conveniently remember this old campfire story in the middle of a crisis” gimmick will get old if played every week, I think the 8 episode format will work well for this concept. It’s not like it’s a huge time investment for me. But that monkey needs to show up again.

Comment by Alice – February 8, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The monkey was freaky I will give you that. I also thought it was neat to show the mother being pulled under by the “dead hand” Let’s be honest though, when it comes down to it, FX has already beaten ABC to the punch when it comes to introducing “scary” shows on TV with American Horror Story. They too did odd camera angles and quick takes with much better results in my opinion. This show has potential but they would need a new “son” cast, and they would need to slow down the camera edits etc. If you want to hold onto viewers you can’t make them sick every week. It is one thing to have it as part of a movie but a whole other story to have it on the small scene week after week.

Comment by Sarah – February 8, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That and White Collar were the only things were talking about last night on Twitter. It’s sad that 8 million is considered a disappointment. Thats a lot of people!

Comment by Alan – February 8, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just surprised the drop to hour 2 of the River only lost around 2 million viewers. One of the worst pilots in the last 5 years. No wonder ABC only ordered 8 episodes.

Comment by Peter – February 8, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, it was pretty bad. I was surprised at how little I enjoyed it.

Comment by Holly – February 8, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quite surprised that Glee had 7,7M viewers… I expected even less! This episode sucked & it seems that Will’s fate doesn’t interest a lot of people. This man is a bad teacher as much in Spanish as Glee mentor, a very non supportive Emma’s fiance, a bad rap dancer/singer.
    Please writers & producers

Comment by Geraldine – February 8, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    Please writers & producers, focus on kids and forget adults!

Comment by Geraldine – February 8, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t mind if they focused on the adults if they were actually likeable. I dont like Will at all and never had. I would have thought you’d have to know Spanish at least a LITTLE BIT before being able to teach it??
      The only good things about that ep was Ricky martin and Santana.

Comment by Olivia – February 8, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks. Ringer is getting so good, and it’s not looking likely for a S2 pickup :(
    I am starting to get so tired of Glee, last nights episode was so boring.

Comment by Ed – February 8, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I don’t see Ringer making it past this season, especially if it actually dips below 1 million viewers, which would be disastrous even by CW standards. The main issue I think is it has had way too many extended breaks between episodes, with the winter break being even longer than most of the other network shows. It really needs the momentum of week-to-week viewing seeing how it’s already a bit convoluted to begin with.

Comment by ChrisGa – February 8, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought The River was boring and weird. The acting was bad. I really like that Bruce guy in other stuff, so I gave it a shot. Don’t know if I want to waste my time on it again.

Comment by Margie – February 8, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Started to watch the River but was so distracted by the fact that the son looked so much older than the mother that I just lost interest in the plot. If they can’t get casting right, how can they get anything else right. IMHO.

Comment by Dee – February 8, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So TRUE! I thought the same exact thing when I was watching! I know, maybe on paper there is an age difference…but honestly the male lead isn’t a great choice in comparison to the mother or father who both seemed to have aged much better than their TV “son”

Comment by Sarah – February 8, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood, go up, please!!!!

Comment by Lenka – February 8, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to watch it tonight. A couple of my friends said they did not watch it because the previews made it look scary and they aren’t in the mood for being scared these days.

Comment by Linda – February 8, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoa, maybe it was just starting new meds for an injury but the combination with the extreme camera jerkiness on The River made me nauseous twice during the show. I had to turn it off. I’ll be taking it off my dvr.
    On a more positive note, I’m really happy to see how much more screen time Mozzie is getting on White Collar. His character is a delight and plays off the other 3 so well.

Comment by TheBeach – February 8, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not you – the camera jerkyness was massively overdone. It was very hard (and not enjoyable at all) to put up with that third-world special effect again, and again, and again, and again, and….

Comment by Andrew – February 8, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched around the first 45 minutes of “The River” while I was working out, and it was pretty good. A lot like the Paranormal Activity movies, yeah, but I like those, so that works for me. I changed channels after that since I did have to walk back to my apartment in the dark afterwards, and it was a little creepy. (Though being slightly scared made me run faster, so it’s good incentive!) I might watch the rest of it if it’s On Demand. I thought more people would tune in, but those 2-hour premieres kind of take over your whole evening. Not sure if they’re such a good idea.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – February 8, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a sci-fi fan, but not really a “paranormal” fan, I liked the concept a lot more than I thought I would, watched both hours, but repeatedly considered changing stations.
    The show is a perfect example of a good concept sabotaging itself by special effect overkill. The shaky-camera-for-action-effect is so overblown it will likely drive away most of the viewing audience – killing what otherwise could have been the successor to “Lost”.
    ABC could save it but, sadly, they probably will not realize (or admit) what they need to do. Such a waste.

Comment by Andrew – February 8, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked the river, that sucks, I can tell it won’t live pass it’s eight ep. Run. Also sad for Ringer, last night was better then last week ep. Also I think 90210 will get the axe this year or maybe next season will be the final season.

Comment by Fernando – February 8, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also it breaks my heart how high Pan Am once had 10 million but now can only give 5 to 4 million. It’s just a cute n good show, I wish ppl would watch.

Comment by Fernando – February 8, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon that NCIS episode was predictable
    Didn’t impress much…kind of remember me of “a bullet for crockett” of Miami vice…superb episode…the chemistry was priceless…
    I didn’t feel it with NCIS…but was ok
    But easy to that number when have no competition…and why people watch tv only on Tuesday now..and why CBS!!.no wonder others good shows struggle or get cancelled…no respect!

Comment by Jules – February 8, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why you no post comment in English?

Comment by Sg.Grant – February 8, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because not everybody on the internet is American or speaks English as a first language? Good job filling the tvline douche-bag quota though.

Comment by Mcat – February 8, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Listen, this is an English based, American website, discussing American television. English isn’t my first language, but I’m also not an idiot, and I’d prefer well written, well formatted posts. Posts from people like kevin and Jules can go back to the comments section of youtube where they came from.

Comment by Sg.Grant – February 8, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ditto. There are plenty of foreign speaking commenters who do just fine stringing together a coherent, well written comment. People are just too damn lazy these days to bother with proper spelling and grammar. It’s terribly annoying.

Comment by tripoli – February 9, 2012 02:01 AM PDT
          • People who can’t speak or write fluent English are idiots? Interesting. You write in English fairly well, but you’re coming across as the biggest idiot on this site.

Comment by Mcat – February 9, 2012 05:51 AM PDT
  • I’m really sad for Ringer because I think this show could change the standard of the cw. This show has a great cast and if Cw has changed the return’s date, probably rating would be more high. But the only problem of ringer is cw. I hope it grow up in final rating.

Comment by Reward – February 8, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Veronica Mars should be the standard for CW. Other broadcast channels already offer dim soaps. At least when CW was WB. Shows allowed their concepts to grow and be innovative. e.g. Buffy, Angel,

Comment by George – February 8, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wut about raising hope???

Comment by l – February 8, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Added!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 8, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Raising Hope is one of the best comedies out there that no one is watching. It’s consistently funny, although some weeks more than others. And New Girl was also great last night. The ensemble casts in these shows are awesome.

Comment by jesse – February 8, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t miss PARKS AND RECREATION on Thursday night feb 16 on NBC (guest star louie c.k)

Comment by dot – February 8, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The river: I know why people tooned out after the first ep, it wasn’t that great… but if people had seen the second episode, they would have loved it. CREEPY! I’ll finish out the 8 ep run.

Comment by Liz – February 8, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sad for Ringer, it’s really starting to pick up momentum and I love the twists and turns every week. I think a lot of people didn’t give it a chance because it’s on the CW. Ringer is just an odd fit for the CW.
    The River was good enough and there’s only six more episodes so I’ll probably watch just to see what happens.

Comment by Angie – February 8, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ringer problem is the plot doesn’t move foward and it’s low budget. Also the dialogue seems to be going in circles. Supposedly Ringer is suppose half Film Noir and Half Soap Opera. Most of the time it’s been a standard soap opera.
      Dawn Ostroff was quoted as saying that the show was in the vein of Veronica Mars. That was the only reason I was Hyped to watch it. Now I’m only going to finish the show for SMG. If the show does not find it self by the end of season 1. I’m through with it.

Comment by George – February 8, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe if the River continues to fall short, this will increase Body of Proof’s chances for renewal.
    Sorry for the River fans, but I really don’t want to loose Body of Proof yet.

Comment by Linda – February 8, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it gets cancelled, and the River goes on for a while. The River was great, but I guess if no one is singing in it this retarded country won’t watch it.

Comment by Nick – February 9, 2012 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You must’ve watched a different version than I did. The River was laughably awful.

Comment by Sheila – February 9, 2012 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually loved last night’s Ringer. Lots of twists and turns and I can’t wait to see what’s next! (except the whole Juliet plotline, i don’t care about that)

Comment by Jess – February 8, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ringer was good last night… The only CW thing I watch… It does try ones patience however… Glad they finally moved it a bit forward so someone else knows what the heck is going on…

Comment by Doug-H – February 8, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked the River premiere. White Collar was so much fun to watch, too.

Comment by Justin – February 8, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FWIW I thought NCIS was confusing. It was interesting to see some of the former cast members, but their purpose for being there seemed unclear. I get the “life flashing before his eyes” theme, but why were they helping him solve his current case? It wasn’t a bad show, just strange. And, seriously, did anyone think Gibbs was going to die? That’s one of my bet peeves about writers who create these life/death story lines when everyone knows they aren’t going to kill off the star of the show (unless there is some external reason to do so).

Comment by Tom – February 8, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS ratings prove that there are a lot of really simple people in America.

Comment by Willie – February 8, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do people feel the need to talk about how much they dislike a show? If you don’t like it than don’t watch it. There is no need to complain about it.

Comment by Steph – February 8, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The 200th ep was great. I personally hated the whole Tony/Kate baby thing. Not just because I ship Tiva but it didn’t seem realistic to me. They always had a brother/sister type relationship. The writers probably would have wrote them out of that but as it was left in season two I couldn’t see that happening. Naming the baby Kelly is another problem I have. Nobody knew about Shannon & Kelly until season 4 and Kate already died at that point. I loved the ending. Gibbs saying that he wouldn’t change a thing made me very happy.

Comment by tvjunkie – February 8, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved that Tony/Kate ended up married, but I still didn’t like the scene. If they couldn’t have Sasha Alexander come back for the episode, they should have just mentioned her and not shown her. It was painfully obvious that they took cut scenes from SWAK for her scene in the hospital.
      That said, it was pretty obvious in the latter half of season 2 that the writers were planning on putting Tony and Kate together. Seriously, there was more love and affection between them in SWAK then Tony and Ziva have ever had. And I’m pretty sure by the time that Tony and Kate dated, got engaged, married, got pregnant, and had a baby, it would have been past season 4, so they would have known about Shannon and Kelly.

Comment by Mcat – February 8, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not one to go around and trash other ships. I feel like you should be able to ship whoever you want. With that said, I think Kate tried to change Tony. She was always so condescending toward him. She didn’t like that fact that he was a goofy jokester that acted like a big kid. That’s who Tony is. Yes he’s growing up now but he still has some of those qualities in him. If he ended up with Kate she wouldn’t have allowed that. Ziva has never tried to change Tony. Of course she was always annoyed with the childish things he did but she didn’t try to change him. As the seasons developed she has even learned to accept it. Ziva challenges Tony and he gives it right back. Ziva has allowed him to change and develop on his own. In a way she understands him better than he understands himself. I loved Tate’s friendship but I still don’t think they would have worked as a couple. Tony was never jealous of any guy Kate dated. Any guy that shows an interest in Ziva he’s all over it.

Comment by tvjunkie – February 8, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seriously? Kate may have found the childish antics off-putting at first, but by season two, she was completely accepting of who he was, and was even joining in on the pranks and jokes and fun. Whereas Ziva is the opposite – she was fun and accepting of Tony at first, but now all she does is roll her eyes at Tony and snap at him and find him annoying. How romantic?

Comment by Mcat – February 9, 2012 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the way the series The River is filmed is what throws people off, this is TV not the cinema?! The second hour did have some great scares though. I will check it out for few more episodes before I give up on it! if if fails they should start a “Saturday scare night”!

Comment by DavidSask – February 8, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so Ringer is the wrost rated tv show. Interesting

Comment by ? – February 8, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed The River! I hope ABC gives it a chance to gain an audience.

Comment by Paula – February 8, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a big fan of homemade horror movies. I was about to give up after the first hour, but the second episode of The River was great. I hope people give this show a chance.

Comment by Girish – February 9, 2012 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The 200th episode of NCIS was an EPIC FAIL. Kate and Tony had ZERO chemistry, don’t know where that came from, very disappointed!!!!!!

Comment by Lynn – February 9, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The NCIS episode was sort of meh…
    Not one of the better ones, that’s for sure.
    Loved the alternate Tony and Kate. It would have been cute if they had ended up together. The baby was a cutie!!
    How funny that Gibbs commented on Palmer’s abs!! :O

Comment by Dee – February 9, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the NCIS 200th episode. There were some things I wasn’t feeling though. I was under the assumption that the diner was kind of like heaven, so I felt it was kinda strange that he spotted Tony, Ducky, etc. there when they are clearly not dead. I also was quite confused when they first showed Gibb’s daughter Kelly by herself because she is not the girl who usually plays Kelly in Gibbs’ flashbacks. I definitely wasn’t feeling Kate and Tony together. I always thought they were like brother/sister.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but the scene with Kate in the hospital was actually a scene from the episode where Tony almost dies from that anthrax powder, right? Overall, I liked the episode and I definitely didn’t think that that teen was going to be the shooter.

Comment by Nat – February 10, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post