House to Conclude Eight-Year Run in May

House Ending May 2012It’s official: House is checking out.
Calling it a creative decision made by the show’s producers, Fox announced Wednesday that the Hugh Laurie-fronted medical drama will conclude its eight-year run in May.
The early announcement ensures that series creator David Shore will get his wish to give the show a fitting farewell. “I want to do [the ending] right,” he told TVLine over the summer.

House Swan Song Scoop: 3 Things You Need to Know About The Series Finale (and Beyond)

Below is a joint statement from Laurie, Shore and fellow exec producer Katie Jacobs:

After much deliberation, the producers of House M.D. have decided that this season of the show, the 8th, should be the last. By April this year they will have completed 177 episodes, which is about 175 more than anyone expected back in 2004.
The decision to end the show now, or ever, is a painful one, as it risks putting asunder hundreds of close friendships that have developed over the last eight years – but also because the show itself has been a source of great pride to everyone involved.
Since it began, House has aspired to offer a coherent and satisfying world in which everlasting human questions of ethics and emotion, logic and truth, could be examined, played out, and occasionally answered. This sounds like fancy talk, but it really isn’t. House has, in its time, intrigued audiences around the world in vast numbers, and has shown that there is a strong appetite for television drama that relies on more than prettiness or gun play.
But now that time is drawing to a close.  The producers have always imagined House as an enigmatic creature;  he should never be the last one to leave the party.  How much better to disappear before the music stops, while there is still some promise and mystique in the air.
The producers can never sufficiently express their gratitude to the hundreds of dedicated artists and technicians who have given so generously of their energy and talent to make House the show it has been – and perhaps will continue to be for some time, on one cable network or another.
The makers of House would also like to thank Fox Broadcasting and Universal Television for supporting the show with patience, imagination and large quantities of good taste.  The Studio-As-Evil-Adversary is one of the many clichés that House has managed to avoid, and for that the cast and crew are deeply grateful.
Lastly, the audience:  some have come and some have gone, obviously. This is to be expected in the life of any show. But over the course of the last eight years, the producers of House have felt immensely honored to be the subject of such close attention by an intelligent, discriminating, humane and thoughtful – not to mention numerous – audience.  Even the show’s detractors have been flattering in their way.  Making the show has felt like a lively and passionate discussion about as many different subjects as could possibly be raised in 177 hours.  The devotion and generosity of our viewers has been marvelous to behold.
So, finally, everyone at House will bid farewell to the audience and to each other with more than a few tears, but also with a deep feeling of gratitude for the grand adventure they have been privileged to enjoy for the last eight years.  If the show lives on somewhere, with somebody, as a fond memory, then that is a precious feat, of which we will always be proud.
Everybody Lies.

Here’s Fox president Kevin Reilly’s statement:

While it’s with much regret, and a lump in our throats, we respect the decision Hugh, David and Katie have made. A true original, on the page and amazingly brought to life by Hugh Laurie, there is only one Dr. House. For eight seasons, the entire House team has given us – and fans around the world – some of the most compelling characters and affecting stories ever seen on television. They have been creatively tenacious and collaborative throughout this incredible run, and they are amongst the most superior talents in the business. For all the above, we wholeheartedly thank them, and the fans who have supported the show.

Cast members present and past were quick to comment on the news via Twitter, with Jesse Spencer saying a simple, “Fare thee well, House,” and Olivia Wilde calling it “the end of an era. Shows like that don’t happen, well, ever. I’m honored to have been a part of such a brilliant story.” (Will Wilde return as Thirteen? Read our follow-up story here.)
TVLine’s Renewal/Cancellation Cheat Sheet has been updated to reflect House‘s passing.
Hit the comments with your eulogies as well as an answer to this question: Which House alum do you most want to see return before Princeton-Plainsboro closes its doors for good?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News

1. Tania says:

Finally! As much as I love this show, I am glad it’s end is in sight. The past two seasons have not been as good as before, I think the last good episode I remember was the first of season six. After that, the episodes were forgettable with a few good ones in between. I just hope Hugh Laurie keeps recording more albums. I love his music.

2. No require says:

Really? We don’t want that.

3. Fafa says:

Sad but True! :-( I wish luck for everyone and Hugh please, I want more cd, books and whatever you’ll want. :-)

4. AlAn says:

Now just wait a great final, the kind of bang that House deserves.

5. Alice says:

Thanks for everyone. It has been a long journey and I’m happy to be on the train since the beggining. THANKS A LOT!
    Hugh, David, Katie, Robert, Lisa, Jesse, Jennifer, Ommar, etc, etc… Thanks!

6. Karm says:

House fans.
    Now it’s time to put away the little problems, discussions, etc and celebrate all the 8 years! Everyone is/was part of the show and everyone deserve our respect and gratitude.
    Thanks!

• Reality is not for TV says:

HERE HERE!
      It’s better to go out being loved than hang around to become something that everyone would despise!

7. QuinnMallory says:

I’m happy about this news. House has gotten a bit better creatively this season, but it’s clearly still in its descent. I’m glad that it’s going to get a proper finale rather than just unceremoniously cancelled.
    Looking forward to Hugh Laurie’s next project which I believe may be another British show (and most likely back to comedy?) since those shows are often just few very well made episodes per season.

8. jackhole says:

All you people who say you don’t like the show are lying. :-)

9. Nancy D says:

House has been television at its best. But even a great book, play, or movie has a natural end. This doesn’t mean it’s bad or deserves criticism, it has just run its natural course. House has always been well written, acted and produced and the character will stay with me forever. Thanks to everyone involved for giving us such a creative masterpiece. Like a favorite book, I’ll probably return to it many times in years to come.

10. Enrique says:

I wish they could bring back Cameron, or maybe Stacy, or the crazy cop from the third season (the best season of all).

11. Caio says:

Thanks for the 8 years! For the great show.
    I’m looking forward to the finale! :-)

12. Gutu says:

It all ends one day but is always in our hearts.
    Thank you!

13. Ceci says:

Thanks for the laughs, tears, frustration, anger, disappointment, joy, sadness and all medical training. :-)
    Gregory House is eternal!
    Good luck to all!
    PS. Hugh good vacation but come back soon!

14. sandy says:

:( i am so sad

15. karo says:

Reading the comments on this site and compare them to other big media sites i see a huge difference. However Mike as a big LE fan obviously attracts hers.lol
    They say all good things must come to an end and House is no exception. House is one of those rare shows that had compelling characters combined with good writing. IMO, the show rapidly went down hill when TPTB decided to turn House into an oversexed frat boy. His failed romance with Cuddy was one storyline that never should have happened. It ruined the show.
    Whatever Hugh Laurie has never failed to enthrall and amaze me from the show’s first episode. He says he will not return to TV but I hope it doesn`t include the big screen. :)
    As much as I’ll miss the show, I’m pleased to see that it will bow out with some grace.

16. jhon says:

1,2,3,temporadas las mejores de HOUSE,SIEMPRE LAS GUARDARE

17. majomunchu says:

q mierda!
    Puta men yo no queria q la serie acabara es la unica serie en toda mi vida q me a fascinado!
    Y ewow huddy es lo mejor
    Pero q carajos q acabe una serie tan maravillosa como dr .house

18. Jane E says:

I am very sadden but if it has to be it has to. But, get Lisa E back now! Not the very last episode! House needs her both personally and professionally.

19. Jo says:

Okay, I’ve been watching the series since it began and yes, it has had it’s ups and downs, but this has been one of the best shows on television for a long time. I do not believe that this show ever “jumped the shark” and would really love to see a spin off w/ either Cuddy or Wilson. I also agree that Cuddy needs to be in the season finale or at least in one or more of the last few episodes. It’s been a great run, but I don’t think that the decision to end this show had anything to do with ratings. I could watch reruns of this show until I die, so thank all of you who created and worked to make this series possible. And to all of you haters who think that the show should’ve been cancelled a long time ago, screw you! This show had some damn great writing and if you can’t see that, there’s simply no hope for you. Go watch your damn reality shows and leave us writers and House fans alone.

• Tamson & Lee-Ann says:

Yes, we would just really love to see a spin off with either Cuddy or Wilson (first choice, however). Or even both together (the two of them would look drop-dead gorgeous together!)

20. Larry Peleggi says:

Hugh Laurie would blow John Tesh off the stage.

21. [COCO-T] says:

I hope for Cameron *fingers crossed*

22. Loa says:

Good. Now put Fringe in its timeslot then everything will be perfect. Good riddance House! You were a great show.

23. bolt says:

I stopped watching after 3 seasons, it was the same *BEEEEP* over and over.

24. gary says:

HOUSE was great… had a bit of a dip this year, as many shows do, but could recover if they wanted it to, but i imagine many especially Hugh have other plans and dont want to spend their whole life typed into this.
    For those of you who have not seen him in other things… look up Black Adder… best british comedy ever, would be good to see a reunion there, but unlikely.
    Great writing usually so I am sure David will bring out another great series and i hope Hugh gets a new part else where, but I guess he wants to go back to the UK to his family who never wanted the LA life….
    good luck

25. Rodrigo says:

The problem here is nOt about the end of House is more about WHAT THE HELL I’M GONNA DO WITHOUT HOUSE?

26. Aida says:

House the best show ever!

27. Bill Dauphin says:

I’m surprised more people didn’t say they wanted Stacy (Sela Ward) back; seems like she’s the one character that could bring House’s personal story full circle.
    Also, no love for Masters?
    Myself, I look for every opportunity to see Andre Braugher on TV, as he’s one of my very favorite actors… but I don’t want Dr. Nolan back if it means House is back in the looney bin. The cheap TV cliche would be that House has been there all along, and everything since the beginning of Season 6 has been a delusion. This must be avoided!!
    OTOH, if House were to wake up in bed with the moldering corpse of Suzanne Pleshette, and then we find out that all of the PPH story was just in the head of their autistic child…. ;^)

28. aarti says:

Cant believe there will be no more quirks, medical marvels and crazy diagnostic sessions anymore.. Will sure miss HOUSE MD…
    Hopefully the ending is befitting such an awesome series!!

29. Jess says:

I’m a big House fan (mostly because I’m a HUGE sherlock holmes and hugh laurie fan) so i’ll miss this show. I hope this frees Laurie up to do other projects, perhaps comedies?! With Stephen Fry?!?!?! If only life can be so good…

• Bill Dauphin says:

>>I hope this frees Laurie up to do other projects, perhaps comedies?! With Stephen Fry?!?!?!<<
      I'd love to see a spinoff of Fry's Bones character, Dr. “Gordon Gordon” Wyatt, the forensic-psychologist-turned-chef. Laurie could be a private detective who’s constantly drawing his friend back into his old line of work, to consult on cases. This would have the potential to be yet another Holmes-Watson type relationship. Please, no Bones crossovers, though: I’d be hoping for tighter, more logic-driven plotting than is evident these days on the latter show. Let this be a “spinoff” in the same sense that Trapper John, M.D. was a spinoff of M*A*S*H.

30. Erica says:

Some thoughts for the last few episodes:
    13- Comes back as a patient or House tracks her down and pulls the plug on her life when she gets into irreversible miserable condition (just as was promised in “The Dig” and similar to what 13 did to her brother). Maybe not the last episode, but the penultimate or even before that.
    I don’t see a reason for Cameron’s coming back, even though I really enjoyed her character and would love to see her character again. There really couldn’t have been more closure than in “Lockdown” without making everything cheesy (her coming back to check on Chase or to see House again.)
    Unless House dies, I couldn’t see Cuddy coming back for similar reasons as Cameron… without being cheesy. What closure is needed? Yes, the season 7 finale was total crap, but it does wrap Cuddy up (though in a completely unintelligent way.) What would you expect, for Cuddy to come back and forgive House? For her to come back and say despite everything she’s in love with him? For her to come back as Dean of Medicine? I could see her coming back after House dies to clean up some of the business or even to pay some very reserved respects to his grave.
    I could easily see a long “meltdown” to the series finale, where the last 5 or 6 episodes all lead into whatever ultimate fate may happen (similar to season 5… of course not the same topic of hallucination!)
    I could easily see House die… maybe as the result of his drug usage, or something that he would do to himself over an arc of episodes.
    The House/Wilson interplay has been so minimal the last 2 seasons now and was one of my favorite parts. PLEASE in one of the upcoming episodes (not the finale episodes or arc), bring back some of this storyline!
    Without a hallucination, I would love for somehow Kutner and/or his suicide somehow brought up again, but I don’t see how it’s possible.

• Bill Dauphin says:

>>I could easily see House die<<
      Yeah, I was just thinking that the one thing that could bring back all of the old faves — Thirteen, Cameron, Cuddy, Stacy, everybody (not to mention a host of accumulated henchmen and hookers) — would be House’s funeral.
      Hope it doesn’t happen, though.

31. Chelsea says:

It’s a shame that this show got run into the ground like it did. I used to adore this show, it was one of my favorites, but after all the drama with Hugh and Lisa’s characters relationship I just couldn’t get into it anymore, and dropped it quite quickly. It is a shame to see this show go, though. I’ll have to buy all the older seasons on DVD, I suppose.

32. bbb says:

TROLOLOLOLOL OF COURSE IS CANCELLED. WHAT A HORRIBLE SHOW. AND HUGH LAURIE IS SUPER ANNOYING AND FULL OF HIMSELF.

33. cheree says:

I really hate to see House come to an end. I love this show. I have purchased every season! I have watched and rewatched them many times.

34. Lisa says:

This show was going downhill the last few seasons and when Lisa bowed out, I just assumed it would die. BUT, I have to say, this season has been really really good! Best one in awhile. My prediction for the finale: a St. Elsewhere type scenario, where House wakes up in one of two places to find he dreamed it all. One, he wakes up after he was shot by the patient way back when, or two, he wakes up after the surgery to fix his leg, way back when he was still with Stacy. Food for thought.

35. Elisabeth says:

I remember when House first came out. I was 15. I have watched every season and have loved it all. I don’t have the “normal” taste in shows and this always kept my attention. I don’t think I have ever loved a show and yet despised the character at the same time. I am upset to see the show end but I’m glad it is ending the way the creators want it to.

36. upintheair says:

I would rather they get rid the 25,000 murder death kill shows like csi fl, csi bathroom, csi guam, csi 5 th ave, law and disorder enough of the pure junk on now a days. At leass house was watchable

37. house has to end. Deal with it. says:

Come on guys. Grow up, House has aired 8 seasons which is not ordinary. Every show has its time and if you ask me then a show of this kind hardly goes for 8 season. I remember when i watched the 1st episode of first season, i went crazy. But the time i had finished the season i found it just a routine show. Now is the moment when the viewership is falling badly and its the best time to surrender with pride unlike prison break that was a great show but kept on going for 4 seasons instead of 2. I love the show and hugh larie but you cant expect it to run for 10 season which has a predictable storyline where the patient lives at the last due to House.
    Allow it to end with pride and let it be called one of the best shows o this decade and the best in medical drama.

38. jessica says:

Please don’t cancel another good show!!! I’ve been watching from the beginning,yeah ok it got weird this season,but it was still 1 of my favorite shows to watch! It could go another 5 years,look @ law and order!

39. PooBear says:

Ok, this is CRAP!! I LOVE House!! I watch EVERY SHOW! Why do all of the good shows get taken off only to be replace by garbage like Jersey Shore? Just like Lie To Me. This is starting to TICK ME OFF!!

40. behe says:

I LOVE HOUSE !!….an will be very sad to see it go, I will miss the show….wish you could have stayed on for ever…:(

41. Margaret Hannigan says:

I stopped watching when Cuddy left. By the way why did she leave. Liked her very much.

42. Chrissie says:

I Loved the show!!!!!! I am so sad to see it end. I never missed an episode. Everyone is crazy to think the show needed to end. :(

• Reality is not for TV says:

This isn’t a bad thing. If it was left to continue, they would lose decent valuable actors and writers and the show would spiral into something that everyone would hate and then ultimately despise!
      Would you want to see one of your favourites shows become one of your most hated shows?
      This way House can go out in style… House can go out in his style!

43. Reality is not for TV says:

I arrived at this page via a link that said OFFICIALLY CANCELLED.
    House wasn’t cancelled, House has officially finished a brilliant 8 season run that was agreed upon several seasons ago by its creator and stars.
    8 seasons is a huge milestone that any show creator or actor should be proud of. Most shows should be happy with 4 Seasons… and most shows shouldn’t even have four!!!

I understand that this article pretty much states what I just said, but the TV LINE link that got me here was deceiving “Officially Cancelled” and “What’s getting the axe” are not relevant to this article!

44. Russ G says:

Good shows need to finish. I’m so glad that its not to be dragged out to a lingering death like what happened to the great British classics of ‘Only Fools’ and ‘Last of the Summer Wine’.
    Anyway, we need Hugh home back on the eastern side of the pond. He has been sorely missed.

45. Meme says:

Rediculous folks that are trashing the show…. Here’s a thought— if you didn’t like the show and wished it was cancelled 4 seasons ago…. DON’T WATCH! TURN THE CHANNEL! GO READ A BOOK… get the picture?
    I liked House as my weekly drama, and had NO desire to watch Fringe, Acatraz, Terra Nova, Prison Break… the list goes on.
    I’ll miss House (minus Charlene Yi..yikes!)

46. Maryanne Petersen says:

I loved all the seasons of House but I can understand it is hard to get new story lines. I hope you create another show for Hugh Laurie to shine in. Have him do Bones. Thanks Anne

47. Caroline C says:

Sad but commendable decision.

Though I’m sad to see the show end, I must say this last season did not rivet my attention as did past ones. I liked the new characters but with the departure of Thirteen, and Cuddy, then the loss of Foreman to a less involved character, I no longer felt a cohesive group that had the personal interactions and side issues that were as an important and interesting part of the show as were the medical mystery and emotional and ethical intrigues of House. Leaving on a good note is a good idea. I will be buying all the DVD’s and watching all again with my daughter who is now a young adult an able to “get” the depth in the stories. I’ll be enjoying the numerous themes that I know will provide hours of conversation between us.

Thank you Hugh Laurie and all for giving us a fabulous show that entertains in a deeper way, enlightening and incorporating issues of the current times reminiscent of classic authors of the past.

Cheers!

48. Lauren Burns says:

Throughout the series there has been the recurring theme of House’s search for Truth. It would be cool if House would get a glimpse of the after life in a near death experience that would give him a new perspective on life. Mostly likely, I can see the series ending with both House and Wilson comitting suicide. I actually liked House’s relationship with his recent wife better than the one he had with Cuddy. Its a shame it ended. Some seasons were obviously better than others but I am sad to see the series end. I will miss seeing Hugh Laurie… he is a phenominal actor.