House to Conclude Eight-Year Run in May

House Ending May 2012It’s official: House is checking out.
Calling it a creative decision made by the show’s producers, Fox announced Wednesday that the Hugh Laurie-fronted medical drama will conclude its eight-year run in May.
The early announcement ensures that series creator David Shore will get his wish to give the show a fitting farewell. “I want to do [the ending] right,” he told TVLine over the summer.

House Swan Song Scoop: 3 Things You Need to Know About The Series Finale (and Beyond)

Below is a joint statement from Laurie, Shore and fellow exec producer Katie Jacobs:

After much deliberation, the producers of House M.D. have decided that this season of the show, the 8th, should be the last. By April this year they will have completed 177 episodes, which is about 175 more than anyone expected back in 2004.
The decision to end the show now, or ever, is a painful one, as it risks putting asunder hundreds of close friendships that have developed over the last eight years – but also because the show itself has been a source of great pride to everyone involved.
Since it began, House has aspired to offer a coherent and satisfying world in which everlasting human questions of ethics and emotion, logic and truth, could be examined, played out, and occasionally answered. This sounds like fancy talk, but it really isn’t. House has, in its time, intrigued audiences around the world in vast numbers, and has shown that there is a strong appetite for television drama that relies on more than prettiness or gun play.
But now that time is drawing to a close.  The producers have always imagined House as an enigmatic creature;  he should never be the last one to leave the party.  How much better to disappear before the music stops, while there is still some promise and mystique in the air.
The producers can never sufficiently express their gratitude to the hundreds of dedicated artists and technicians who have given so generously of their energy and talent to make House the show it has been – and perhaps will continue to be for some time, on one cable network or another.
The makers of House would also like to thank Fox Broadcasting and Universal Television for supporting the show with patience, imagination and large quantities of good taste.  The Studio-As-Evil-Adversary is one of the many clichés that House has managed to avoid, and for that the cast and crew are deeply grateful.
Lastly, the audience:  some have come and some have gone, obviously. This is to be expected in the life of any show. But over the course of the last eight years, the producers of House have felt immensely honored to be the subject of such close attention by an intelligent, discriminating, humane and thoughtful – not to mention numerous – audience.  Even the show’s detractors have been flattering in their way.  Making the show has felt like a lively and passionate discussion about as many different subjects as could possibly be raised in 177 hours.  The devotion and generosity of our viewers has been marvelous to behold.
So, finally, everyone at House will bid farewell to the audience and to each other with more than a few tears, but also with a deep feeling of gratitude for the grand adventure they have been privileged to enjoy for the last eight years.  If the show lives on somewhere, with somebody, as a fond memory, then that is a precious feat, of which we will always be proud.
Everybody Lies.

Here’s Fox president Kevin Reilly’s statement:

While it’s with much regret, and a lump in our throats, we respect the decision Hugh, David and Katie have made. A true original, on the page and amazingly brought to life by Hugh Laurie, there is only one Dr. House. For eight seasons, the entire House team has given us – and fans around the world – some of the most compelling characters and affecting stories ever seen on television. They have been creatively tenacious and collaborative throughout this incredible run, and they are amongst the most superior talents in the business. For all the above, we wholeheartedly thank them, and the fans who have supported the show.

Cast members present and past were quick to comment on the news via Twitter, with Jesse Spencer saying a simple, “Fare thee well, House,” and Olivia Wilde calling it “the end of an era. Shows like that don’t happen, well, ever. I’m honored to have been a part of such a brilliant story.” (Will Wilde return as Thirteen? Read our follow-up story here.)
TVLine’s Renewal/Cancellation Cheat Sheet has been updated to reflect House‘s passing.
Hit the comments with your eulogies as well as an answer to this question: Which House alum do you most want to see return before Princeton-Plainsboro closes its doors for good?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News

1. Person says:

Alright, I admit that the second half of last season and this season have not been as good as the rest of the series, but I still love the show and am an avid fan. It has been a joy to watch. I will miss it dearly. But before it bows out, Cuddy, Thirteen, and Cameron should come back for at least the series finale, and they should kill off House, and NOT let him get back with Cuddy.

2. Justin says:

While I figured this would be the last season, I’m glad its official now. Eight years is a good run for a network show these days. I’m gonna miss the show, but I’ll miss the character House even more. Never quite seen such a controversial character like him before. He was definitely one of a kind.

3. kirads09 says:

Hugh Laurie has played House brilliantly. There are not enough glowing words for Robert Sean Leonard as Wilson. I did not like when the original team of Chase, Foreman and Cameron were no longer together. I didn’t agree with creating “Cuddy”. Huge mistakes that hurt the show I think. Last season’s ridiculous finale was the “jump the shark” moment. So, while I have respect and appreciation for the series and cast, I think it is time to bring it to an end.
    I hope I have not offended anyone. This is just my personal opinion.

• AmandaD says:

Agree! Hugh Laurie played House well. Robert Sean Leonard was (and is and will always be)) awesome and the statement “There are not enough glowing words for Robert Sean Leonard as Wilson” is so true! Going to miss them for sure.

4. Mic says:

Watched every House episode. Overall the quality was great until season 7. S07 was kind of a drag for me. But I still kept watching because House is my favorite show and it’s special to me. I think this season the quality improved , but it didn’t reach the quality of the early seasons. It will be very hard to say goodbye but it’s the right decision to end it.
    Thanks House for everything.
    (Expecting a LOT from the series finale!)

5. Erin says:

It will be very sad to not see one of the best actors there is, one Hugh Laurie, on my television screen anymore. He made House such an iconic character.

6. Rafael says:

Goodbye, House! It was nice watching the show and I hope Hugh Laurie returns on another with a character as iconic as House.

7. Renee says:

I’m sorry for the fans who stuck with House all these years. I bailed when they broke up the original team, but at one time House was one of my favorite shows. Hugh Laurie is a genius.

• Jill says:

Hugh Laurie is what kept the show going through the bad seasons.
      I loved the original team, kept hoping the show would get back to its glory and finally gave up in season 6. If they had kept on the original track, I might still be watching.

8. James says:

GET LISA EDELSTEIN BACK FOR THE FINALE!!!

9. Alex says:

*Sniffles* The last few seasons sucked but I’ll still miss it.

10. safira says:

Olivia Wilde!

11. Dee says:

Make that “Alum I’d most like to see back”

12. Dee says:

What happened to my first comment? Anyway, I said:
    Alum I’d most like to see back: DORIS EGAN
    She knows how to write House, House/Wilson, and a decent patient-of-the-week too.

13. Sad to see it go, but it’s time. I haven’t watched much at all since the 6th season, and I think after the 3rd it was never quite as good.

14. AJ says:

House is going to die in the Finale.

15. Michael Benton says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Kath says:

Maybe they aspired to it but the show hasn’t hit that mark since season 3, and completely dropped the question of ethics when they dropped Cameron. Time to put it out of its misery.

17. nitemar says:

Hope and am almost positive Lisa E will be in the final episode, its the least they could do.

18. genagirl says:

Huddy killed the show. I LOVED this show so much until they got House and Cuddy together, then I turned the channel. If they had kept the great things – House being snarky, the clinic patients, House and Wilson being BBFs, House and Amber fighting over Wilson’s affections, and the 3 original ducklings I think this thing could have run for a lot longer. Oh well, I will watch reruns of seasons 1-6 and be happy.

19. Ange says:

Better to go out while the show is still doing well enough than to be kicked out.
    The only characters I’d like to see back are Cameron (heading her own hospital) and Amber as House’s hallucination, but both Jennifer Morrison and Anne Dudek are working on other shows.

20. Jim Cornette says:

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out House; Fringe, Terra Nova and Alcatraz should be cancelled as well, along with the finder.

21. Ella says:

Nooooo! I have always loved House, truly think it one of the most intellectual, challenging, well-written shows on television. This is a sad, sad day.

22. Guest says:

It’s time. The show is clearly not what it used to be. But first three seasons are very brilliant so House will remain in the history of TV.

23. Juliana Sedgwick says:

Brb,I’m cry my eyes out and go into a deep depression. House is one of the best show ever! and I love it from the bottom of my heart. Thank you guys for make my life better.

24. Juliana Sedgwick says:

I’m going to cry*

25. andree campbell says:

Exactly. Doris Egan TIES with Lisa Edelstein for the comeback in the finale. Egan knew how to write for the female cast, too. The sausage fest of a writers room killed off the balance that made the show so wonderful. Losing Cuddy’s character meant the show lost some of the wittiest banter on tv. The equality of the two characters’ intelligence and the obvious sexual chemistry was a delight to watch. I miss that most of all.
    Lisa Edelstein is one smart cookie. Sorry to see my former favorite show leaving on such a weak season. If only…

26. shiremaid says:

You will all be missed. Bring back someone? Olivia Wilde and Sela Ward. Leave LE out. She walked, let her keep right on walking.

27. karen o says:

Heartbroken to lose this character on tv, but I agree and think it’s time. House has my heart.

28. Belis says:

I have struggled through season 8 (the balance of the show has been off without the character of Cuddy in my opinion) and have felt despair at the crappy attitude of House producers (DS/GY)in this last year but I am genuinely sad to see the show go.
    Hugh Laurie, Lisa Edelstein, Robert Sean Leaonard, Jesse, Jennifer, Omar, Kal, Peter, Olivia and Amber gave me many hours or viewing pleasure and I thank them for it. House has been a dramatically gripping, emotionally evicerating, laugh inducing roller coaster of a ride which for the most part I have enjoyed.
    I hope David Shore gives House a fitting ending, one that honours the character and satisfys the fans. I hope he remembers that we as fans were always hopeful for House’s future, as dramatically exciting as it may be I don’t think any of us want him to end in misery or death. I hope to that the House producers bring Cuddy / Lisa Edelstein back for the series finale, both the character and the actress and the House story deserved a better ending than a car crash into a House.
    So I am sorry to see the show end but I hope that end acknowledges the people who were important in House’s life, Wilson, Cuddy, Chase, Foreman and Cameron…..13 I don’t care about, that character has honestly had enough farewells!

29. Housefan4ever says:

Just loved Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard! Both awesome actors and friends. They made House and Wilson such iconic characters.

30. Pepper says:

Lisa Edelstein can stay gone. Huddy killed the whole thing.
    If the show’s gonna have a happy ending and change House, then the 8 seasons didn’t mean anything.

31. Juju says:

Simply: Thank you Hugh Laurie and Everyone Behind the Show. You have changed my life in a why I could not have imagined. I will never forget anything.
    Everybody Lies

32. Jane2 says:

I would dearly love to see Cuddy back for the final few episodes. House TpTb Please bring back Lisa Edelstein.

33. Marcella says:

I knew it would be cancelled when Lisa Edelstein announced she was out. I haven´t watched this season but i would love to see Cuddy in the series finale.

• Fafa says:

Yes because Lisa played Dr. House so she was essential to the show. C’mon, Hugh Laurie is the man! Thanks Hugh for all!!!!!!

34. Dany says:

I will miss House and Hugh so much!!! Thanks for all the 8 years!

35. Brendo says:

My heart is breaking but I know it’s the time. I expect a big season finale! Thanks a lot!!!!
    [H]ouse 4ever!

36. Vago says:

Please, we need a two hours long finale

37. Tati says:

It is very much like losing a friend, a close friend for 8 years. :-(
    Thanks to all, especially Hugh!
    And Shore: I want a BANG!

38. Lena says:

Thank you Hugh Laurie and everyone behind the show.
    I’ll miss you so bad! :-(

39. Hugo says:

A toast to all the great moments! THANKS!
    [H] ouse 4ever

40. kEVIN says:

Give to us an amazing finale and I will be a little less sad!

41. Karm says:

The success of House has a name: Hugh Laurie.
    I will miss him.

42. annie says:

Hugh, Robert, Jesse ….. These losses break my heart. :-(

43. Geany says:

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hugh you are the man! :-)

44. Mr. X says:

I hope one day Hugh Laurie returns on another show because the guy is a genius.
    THANKS

45. Julie says:

I didn’t really get into watching this season, but I do wish the best ending possible for this show (the only hospital whatever show I’ve ever watched on TV tbh). I will be tunning in for the finale and I cant wait to see how the farewell will be like.
    … I hope only for the best for every actors. I do hope we’ll get to see some of them back on TV when the new fall season begins in September…

46. Little Greg says:

CUDDY X INFINITY
    Pick up the phone.

47. Dean says:

I’ve watched House since the beginning like most people here probably have and I’ve continued watching until this very day, despite a few things that are actually making me glad that it’s coming to a close.
    I was skeptical at best when House started seeing “dead people” and ended up hallucinating a night with Cuddy. The season that followed though was fantastic and I enjoyed watching House get over his addiction – accompanied by a fantastic actor in Andre Braugher and then finally end in a great finale.
    Having not been one of those people who generally cared about “Huddy”, I actually enjoyed the character being advanced in such a way and finally evolving from what he was whilst keeping key character traits that made him House. That was until they decided to ruin all their efforts and take him back to square one – which to me, I know it sounds silly but part of me actually believes one of the reasons Lisa Edelstein left was because of the way they wrote them back to where they started.
    If it annoyed me, I can only imagine how much it may annoy an actor invested in their role. The writers of House have in fact ruined House by advancing the character, evolving him and then dragging him back into addiction and making everything they did nothing but cheap “thrills” for storylines.
    The writers did ruin it, but it was theirs to ruin I guess. I’m glad they’re going to end it before they ruin the show any further and I sincerely appreciate the entertainment it’s given me over the years.
    So thanks to House and everyone involved. Hopefully the show ends in an interesting and good way, though I don’t see that happening as such.

48. Dean says:

Also, can I just note that I’ve read a lot of people say this weeks episode was one of the best ever and I totally disagree.
    I think the episode was great but I don’t see how Chase can possibly be mad with House or how House can actually blame himself for the stabbing – it makes little to no sense.
    Chase should of never brought a scapel into a room with a guy suffering from pshycosis and the fact he did resulted in the scuffle. If the idea is that House has taught his team to disobey him and thus, it’s his fault Chase would do that then that’s BS as well.
    If that was the case then Chase and Foreman should be apologizing for being to blame for House’s addiction, after all they supplied him with pills for years and enabled him. Quite frankly, it’s just the writers making tension where their really shouldn’t be any. House isn’t to blame, Chase is and dragging it out any other way is just moronic.

49. Karen says:

Oh please. OW had the sweetest deal. She’s hardly been around the past few years and the way she talks, she makes you think she has been a huge part. While she didn’t walk away, she actually did bc she dictated when she would be available.
    I know it will be OW they bring back and not JM or LE, which is a total shame. All I ask is they kill 13 in any episode but the finale because the finale should be about Hugh and House alone and he shouldn’t have to share spotlight with her.

50. Karen says:

Actually you may not like it but I think LE/Cuddy had/has a pretty large fanbase.