Glee Recap: Girl, Look at That Body!

It was a muy (pronounced moo-ey) bueno time on Glee this week — at least whenever Ricky Martin appeared on screen as unspeakably sexy night-school Spanish teacher Dave Martinez. The rest of the hour, alas, was a case of livin la vida broke-down, as Will Schuester reached new levels of annoying; Sue Sylvester got saddled with a story arc that was supposed to be touching, but mostly played as patently ridiculous; and Madonna, Elvis, and the ballads of Gloria Estefan were somehow passed off as building blocks of an authentic Latino experience.

If you were too busy reading Emma’s “Taint Misbehavin'” pamphlet — I can’t even bring myself to say another word about that particular plot development — here’s how the central story arcs played out:

* Mr. Schuester, suddenly dumb as the cardboard box that Finn winningly turned into a robot head, was stumped when his rendition of “La Cucaracha” — complete with giant sombrero — failed to inspire his Spanish class. Principal Figgins informed him that a student complaint threatened to derail his chances at an open tenure slot — ¡apparently, he hadn’t even mastered the basics of the language! — and so he enrolled in Mr. Martinez’s night class. (Naturally, this led to the former tooth model swinging by the New Directions rehearsal room for a lesson in performances “filled with Spanish passion,” and a subsequent PG-13 performance with a high-school senior.) The frustrated Schue mocked Emma’s reliance on pamphlets to counsel her students, dressed as an “authentic Spanish matador” (not Kurt) for a Spanish teacher-off, and drew fire from Santana for his cultural cluelessness. “Why don’t you dress up as the Taco Bell dog and bark the theme to Dora the Explorer?” she hissed. “You don’t even know enough to be embarrassed.” (Slow clap: San-tan-uh! San-tan-uh!) Schue wound up snatching an open history-teacher position, bequeathed his Spanish class to Dave (because, yeah, that’s apparently Schue’s decison), and made up with Emma. Oh, and BTW, Miss Pillsbury earned the tenure spot. (The shoes on her feet? She bought ‘em.)

* Sue, suddenly maternal, decided that despite her advanced age, she wanted to conceived a biological baby (instead of exploring adoption or fostering). Her eggs were frozen back in the day at her local Kroger, but alas, the guys down at the sperm bank looked like the cast of Ice Road Truckers, she lamented, before hitting up Schue and the New Directions boys for their “nog.” (Amazingly, this didn’t result in her automatic termination!) We did, however, get a particularly abhorrent assessment of Sue’s reproductive abilities courtesy of Roz Washington — capped off by references to Sue birthing a “full-grown adult” with a briefcase and a cellphone, and discovering sand coming out of her breasts instead of milk. (R.I.P., Feminism.) Sue later told Emma she spent most of her life “vibrating with a palpable sense of wild, irrational rage,” but decided to recommit herself to the Cheerios (and destroying her enemies) after finding out Becky had reported her to Figgins for a lack of focus on the job.

* In other news, Sam and Mercedes took a one-week break from conversation (at Emma’s advice) to come to terms with their feelings, but Shane interrupted what I’m guessing was going to be silence broken by the sound of their smooching. Kurt gave Finn an inspiring speech that his getting engaged to Rachel was absurd, and that a “hot, straight football player who can sing, and sort of dance” shouldn’t be so quick to give up on his dreams. And also Rory was there.

Anyhow, with the plot recapped, let’s get to the week’s best quotes:

“I won’t stop till it’s trending.” –Sam to Mercedes, after she notes he’s Tweeted that she smells good

“I’m sure you have something moo-ey amazing planned.” –Santana, mocking Mr. Schue’s Spanish skills and his planned attempt to out-perform Mr. Martinez on the McKinley High stage

“Have a seat, Ladybird Hollow-pelvis, and be careful: Those chairs are hard. I know how fragile your bones are.” –Sue responding to Emma saying her request for Will’s sperm donation was “so inappropriate”

Sue’s zinger about Will wiping his “wooly behind” with the American songbook.

And now, let’s get on to the grades for this week’s musical numbers:

“La Cucaracha,” Mr. Schue and the New Directions Guys
I know this was intentionally awful, with the sombreros and the Mexican ponchos and whatnot, but it was also just awful-awful, y’know? Grade: F

“Sexy and I Know It,” Mr. Martinez and New Directions
Everything I need to say about this can be summed up with Kurt’s response to Santana requesting a Mr. Martinez performance: “Oh dear God, please yes.” Bonus points for Mike and Brittany’s chairography, Kurt’s leg throw, Finn’s stripper moves, and Sugar’s generally awesome ridiculousness. #TeamSugar Grade: A

“Don’t Wanna Lose You,” Mercedes
Even as a fan of “Hell to the No,” I have to say Mercedes’ musical moments in Season 3 have been really strong. This bilingual ballad was no exception, and I loved how she boldly got all up in Trouty Mouth’s gills/grill at the finish. Grade: B+

“Bamboleo”/”Hero,” Sam and the New Directions Guys
Generally speaking, I have issues with bolo ties and “Hero,” but even putting that aside, there was something a little generic and underbaked about this musical moment. Grade: B-

“La Isla Bonita,” Santana and Mr. Martinez
I loved that Mr. Schue verbalized my burning question — because I, too, was confused about Mr. Martinez’s participation in Santana’s number — but the harmonies were sweet, and the dancing was sexy without crossing the line into disturbing April-October territory. Grade: A-

“A Little Less Conversation,” Mr. Schue
As I said last week about “Ben”: No. Grade: D

Now it’s your turn. Hit the comments with your thoughts about “The Spanish Teacher.” And for all the Glee news, views, and interviews your heart desires, follow TVLine on Twitter @TVLineNews.

1. Elizabeth says:

Yep – Ricky was the only redeeming portion of tonight’s show.

• Stacie says:

True, but I don’t want him to develop the “Holly Holiday syndrome”. That is, Gwenyth Paltrow came on the first time and was great, even helping to catapult C Lo’s “Forget U” song into the mainstream world. Even the second time she was on she was pretty serviceable, but by that last time she just wore out her welcome(in my opinion). Guest stars should be just that, guests, 1-2 episodes tops. Bringing Ricky back another time, maybe even when Gloria Estefan comes on would be kinda cool, but having him as a series regular, when we head into an uncertain Season 4, and a cast almost double or triple the size of many other casts is ridiculous. If you bring on Ricky you have to get rid of others. There’s just not enough room. Tina and Brittany have both had about 3 lines in the past 6 episodes, and they are series regulars. That seems to be a problem.

• Chris says:

And what about poor Rory…he had one episode…he’s been pretty much a featured extra since then. So much for “winning” the Glee Project.

• Claire says:

Yeah, I’d really like to see more story for Rory. Hope they’re not just going to chuck him out the door when Sam shows up for his Glee debut.

• Cari says:

I know! And his voice is actually a little different from the other guys on the show. I really wish they’d use him more. They show the piano guy more often.

2. Costar says:

Its BUENO not BUEÑO….
    Just saying…

• Che says:

Exacto!!! Por favor no traten de hablar español si no están completamente seguros!
      Will was an insult to spanish talking AND SINGING people tonight.
      Why the HECK take such an incredible song like “A Little Less Conversation” into that… AWFUL!

• Morena says:

That’s a bad attitude. How will anyone ever learn to speak Spanish if they’re not allowed to speak it if they can’t speak it right? Certainly you didn’t lean English under those conditions. I certainly didn’t.

• chistosa says:

Lo siento Che. No estoy de acuerdo. La verdad es que hay muchos maestros que no pueden hablarlo bien. El problema existe en muchas escuelas en los Estados Unidos. So I think this episode was pointing out a problem. I did not see it as an insult to Spanish speaking people so much as a plea for better instruction, starting with heritage speakers leading the way.

3. Pam says:

What I want to know is why Tina wasn’t in this episode? Freakin’ Blaine got a whole episode of setup to explain his absence and Tina was gone in this one and half of the MJ one. Did they just tell Jenna to stay home?

• TheReasonsY says:

Tina’s on this show? You mean an original member of new directions hasn’t gotten a story or been able to show off her talent at all? Shocking!

• Captain says:

I think she’s gotten plenty of opportunities to show her “talent” that’s pretty much why she’s never seen.

• june says:

thank you, I thought I was the only one who thought that tina is nothing special. Although it DOES bother me that Blaine gets as much screen time as he does…

• AngieD says:

Hmmm…. Tina has sung lead at this year’s sectionals and a few other songs throughout (at least a verse or 2).. as well as being towards the front for the dancing. The girl’s got talent… problem is that the character has had no real development.

• Taylor says:

In reality, she was probably sick during filming, and therefore missed the episode.
      In the Glee world, you can’t expect every student to have perfect attendance. Her character might have just been out sick with a cold or something.

• Derek says:

So glad that some one noticed! Poor Tina…original member relegated completely to the background or not even on the episode. She hasn’t been given a solo in ages.

• Erica says:

“ABC” at Sectionals? “You Make My Dreams” in “Mash-Off”? “The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face” in that horrible proposal episode?

• I.C. says:

Until I read your post I haven’t even noticed she was gone.

• Aaron says:

Who the bloody hell is Tina?

4. Khorrie says:

The whole Spanish plot was beyond ridiculous I can’t even go there. Except to ask why Santana is even taking the class since she already speaks it. Easy A?

• Mile says:

Santana´s spanish is awful actually

• Khorrie says:

But the character is supposed to be Spanish-speaking, isn’t she? I recall her having an entire conversation with her grandmother in Spanish earlier this season.

• Chris says:

Yet another one of Glee’s explainable inconsistencies

• iana says:

every time she speaks spanish I cringe in my seat, it’s just… not good. Maybe good enough for someone who isn’t fluent, but definitely not good enough for someone who’s supposed to be of spanish descent.

• Castle Lover says:

I don’t think of this as an inconsistency. If Santana, as Naya, was born and raised in the United States, it’s perfectly understandable that her Spanish is not as good as if she was raised in a Spanish-speaking country.
            I’m of hispanic descent, but I can’t speak Spanish to save my life.

• iana says:

if she’s supposedly able to have entire conversations with her grandma in spanish, or curse someone in spanish she’s obviously been exposed to it from a very early age and therefore should be able to speak it better.

• Snsetblaze says:

I’m not defending the show but right now I’m enrolled in Spanish courses and there are several native speakers who while they speak Spanish, do not know proper Spanish conjugation of verbs, punctuation, etc. Its not farfetched for someone who grew up in a household that speaks Spanish to be enrolled in a basic course.

• maria says:

Well you speak English and I’m pretty sure you took English through out high school, just becuase you speak a langauge doesn’t mean you don’t need to continue taking a class in it (in the real world she would be in an AP Spanish or something but this is TV).

• chistosa says:

Khorrie, your post indicates ignorance. Many Spanish speaking students take Spanish as a second language for a variety of reasons. For many it is because they speak it at home but have not learned to read and write it. Some do it to prepare for the AP exams and others because they feel a connection and a comfort level. They do not have the option of taking Spanish for Spanish speakers because budgets prohibit that from being offered. As far as it being an easy A? Most heritage speakers suffer from the same issues other learners do, missing accents, incorrect spelling, inability to determine correct tense etc. No easy A. And not unusual for Spanish speakers to take Spanish.

• Sari says:

Naya’s Spanish is terrible but Santana is supposed to be kind of fluent in the language. That said, I have known people who is fluent in a foreign language but take it as a class to get “an easy A”.

5. Ashley says:

Okay, “nice little filler episode” but bring on the Valentines Day one!
    I’m really REALLY trying to like Samcedes as a couple, honest. But I just can’t. The actors have negative one chemistry. Glee is really trying to push it and it just isn’t working. I also don’t see the point in them because Mercedes is a senior (she said so in Asian F) and Sam is not (he didn’t imply he was in HOTS).It was too much of them tonight, also. I thought the Sue baby story was so dumb (reminded me of Terry though *good funny times*). Didn’t like any of the music numbers tonight but I like how Glee put a twist to Sexy and I Know It. But still, won’t buy anything from this episode.
    The scenes I liked the most were the sleepover scence, Kurt’s talk with Finn (neither him nor Rachel REALLY want to get married, yaay!) And NeNe Leakes, suprisngly. Anyways, dull episode looking forward to next weeks.

• Kristina says:

Yeah, Sam and Mercedes together are awful.

• Carmichael says:

Sam and ANYONE is awful, he just needs to go back to Kentucky. And chances are he IS a senior, or he wouldn’t have been working where he was when they went to find him.

• Toia says:

I can’t be the only one who found it a little silly that Santana is proving how hispanic she is with La Isla Bonita. I mean I am a fond of Madonna as the next person but ain’t nothing remotely Latin about our girl from Michigan. No amount of watching Evita
      Is going to change that little fact. It wasnt a bad performance I just couldn’t get the image of Ms. Ciccone singing Holiday in those pants with the black polka dotted riffles on Truth or Drare God I now feel old. Still it felt like an odd song choice when there so many Latin arrest who do cross over songs they could have chosen. Especially since they wheren trying to make a point.

6. Kelly says:

Best thing about tonight’s episode was Ricky’ and Santanas performance. Otherwise it was boooring

7. Ashley says:

I did not enjoy Sexy and I Know It at all… it was a waste of Ricky Martin, it was weirdly sexual when you involve the kids, and also the autotune was even more obvious than normal. Not the most inspiring performance.
    But then again, the whole episode was terrible.

8. Ashley says:

Naya Rivera again the outstanding actress.
    No surprise there.
    Also got a big laugh out of Will questioning whether it was appropriate for Santana to sing a song with Dave.
    I mean since when is Will not a pedo?

• Sean says:

Naya Rivera Outstanding Actress? Lol. She has no range. Mm, her, Amber, Heather, Dianna, Mark, Darren and the asian need to enroll in some acting classes. They can take NeNe with them too. . .and Becky.

• Mallory says:

Oh look everybody! It’s another Finchelstan! Surprise, surprise.
        Note to all you blind children: those two are not the only good thing about this show. Lea Michele is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. And Cory Monteith is a pretty good singer at best, mediocre at worst. Finn and Rachel are morons for thinking “We’re finally getting married!” (as quoted from the promo) at the age of 17/18.

• Captain says:

Naya is perfectly wonderful playing Santana. I haven’t seen her in anything else so I don’t know what her range is but Santana is quite often the saving grace of the show’s weaker scenes. Her standing up to Shue was ah-mazing.

9. Lola says:

Ricky Martin was great! First time I watched Glee. Only for Ricky.

10. Mel says:

This episode was terrible, but strangely had some of the best one liners since the first season. And “With whose vagina?” will now be my go to response for refusing to complete a task.

11. Kate says:

I don’t give a @&%@*@?!? if Ricky Martin is gay he is hot hot hot. And should I feel bad that I didn’t even notice Tina and Blaine were gone until I read some of the comments? Oh and Glee, chill on the Santana overload. Thanks.

12. Che says:

Disssssapppointing

13. adlib19 says:

This recap nailed it. If the writers were going for a commentary on bad teachers, they failed miserably. Mr. Schue was always one of the good ones who inspired the kids to do well, and something tells me first season Will knew Spanish. Normally, I forgive the weekly plot foibles because the other aspects of the show usually make up for them, but this was horrible. However, I was reminded how amazing Ricky Martin is.

14. Mel31602 says:

Khorrie- I definitely knew kids in high school who took Spanish bc they spoke it at home so it was an easy A.
    I actually thought the pamphlet plot was funny (especially Wills at the end) and the Sue wanting a baby makes sense with the way Becky has been like a daughter to her. Kurts speech to Finn and Sue talking sbout why she wanted Will to father her kid were two besr parts of episode. The Ricky Martin plot was random though but he sounded great on the Madonna song.
    But why has no one mentioned that Emma would not be up for same tenure as Will because she is counselor, not a teacher?
    Oh and Will said he convinced Figgins to give Ricky’s character the Spanish teacher job; Will didn’t just decide that on his own.

• Khorrie says:

That’s what I assumed, so thanks. Not being American, I wasn’t sure if it was a required course or not. I was also wondering about Emma getting tenure, but again not being American, I don’t know what the requirements on that would be. I was just glad Jayma Mays was actually funny for once.

• Mel31602 says:

Most schools I believe require taking a foreign language but offer several different ones students can take to fulfill that requirement.

15. Rod says:

It’s wrong written it’s should say: Es muy buen tiempo or time (no bueno)

16. jlcollins says:

I wasn’t inspired by this week’s episode at all. It seemed tossed together and not well thought out. What happened to the back to basics RM promised this season? I’d rather have a longer space in between episodes than a rushed episode with no quality of performance.
    Best part was Kurt having a conversation with Finn about not giving up yet because his life is just beginning.

17. Jrs says:

Omg, Ricky Martin cannot act!!!!! What a letdown of an episode after last several. Very weak, including the music.

18. Ashley says:

I have been a loyal Glee follower from the beginning. I feel like I have ignored most of the cliches and silly moments because I knew deep down that Glee meant well. This season has made me question my loyalty, and I have to say…I think Glee and I need to break up. I wish the show would go back to non-themed episodes. I enjoyed more variety in the performances…they fit the plot and the character’s feelings. Mr. Schu is a Spanish teacher…but doesn’t know basic conversational Spanish?? Please. I’ve sat by way too long for them to pull stupid crap like that. I truly believe that the hiatus from February – April is going to kill the show.

19. lolo says:

I know everyone will hate me, but I’m tired of Santana. Where was Tina? Blaine obviously is gone from his eye surgery. I don’t know why, but I feel like I’m the only one who likes/thinks Sam and Mercedes are cute.

• yep says:

You’re net alone. Tired of Santana. At first I was interested in Sam and Mercedes but this is drawn out tooo far-now pointless. Tina has always been at the back door. What really bothers me is Will has altered or morphed from leader and mentor s1 to clown and oaf s3. Will and Emma are background characters now which is a bummer for me-I loved them s1. Whenever one speaks against certain characters one will always be targeted as socially incorrent/politically incorrect/ or that one doesn’t watch the same show. We all perceive the show differently. Just like restaurants music and physical attire.

20. Eli says:

Well, I knew it had to end sometime. The last few episodes of “Glee” have been really awesome, and then this one comes along and blows. Ricky Martin fit the part because he’s Hispanic, but he’s not a great actor- that whole speech at the beginning with Will looked like it was being read from a teleprompter and felt like it lasted forever. The songs were terrible and mostly not plot-related, with the exception of general “love”-y songs for Sam and Mercedes to sing to each other, with no effect by the end of the show. No plots were advanced, other than “Mercedes still won’t be with Sam” and “Rachel and Finn are still engaged.” Mr. Schuester’s plotline was horrible- a Spanish teacher who can’t speak Spanish? How’d he get that job? What does this say about public schools? And what makes him qualified to teach history?
    What a mess.

21. Beth says:

I thought Kurt’s speech to Finn was one of the best pieces of writing this season! Finally someone told Finn he needed to aim higher than “holding Rachel’s handbag on the red carpet!” The one-liners this episode were awesome. I liked it :)

22. lolo says:

And also Rory was there. He’s not given enough…

23. Daisy says:

Despite several obvious problems – (1) the Will Schuester of Season 1 could actually speak Spanish (his accent wasn’t good, but whatever), (2) if Santana really cared about her education as she claims she wouldn’t be taking a language she already knows from a teacher who doesn’t know it at all, (3) no one cares about Shane – I don’t know why they even bothered to cast this role (merely talking about his existence would have just as much – or little – impact), (4) school counselors get tenure?, (5) since when can a teacher just switch subjects a decade into a teaching career?, (6) teachers at this school can hire other teachers now?, and, last but not least (7) where is Tina, anyway? – I still thoroughly entertained by this episode. Sue me.

• Daisy says:

“*was* still thoroughly entertained” – whoops.

• fiona says:

When I went to high school, teachers did switch into different departments especially if they were waiting for that position to open up (ie an English teacher going into Art, Biology to Math etc.) It really depends on the school and the credentials of the teacher. Schu did know spanish in the first two seasons when he taught. Why is it that all of a sudden he’s really back to the basics?
      Yes there wasn’t even a minor mention of Tina’s disappearance this episode and half of last weeks =(. Its like they don’t even give us a chance to like her any more

24. silenceisgolden says:

Didn’t know this show was still on tv

• Mika says:

Then why are you here? Seriously, your comment is lamer than any episode of Glee has ever been (including Pot o’ Gold, and that’s saying something).

• octopus says:

With this ridiculous episode, what was once a brilliant show needs to be shot and put out of its misery. Needs to go away longer than its upcoming seven week hiatus.

25. Mallory says:

Kurt talking to Finn was hands down the best part of the episode. I already thought Finn was dumb and Rachel was a conceited and self-absorped brat. Now I think Finn’s even dumber to think that Rachel would ever pick him over her career if the choice had to be made, and I think Rachel is even more conceited and self-absorped to think her smart, logical friends were actually going to be happy for her engagement, an engagement she only said yes to because she thought she wouldn’t get into NYADA. At the end of the day, Rachel will never care about anyone as much as she cares about herself.

• JT says:

“At the end of the day, Rachel will never care about anyone as much as she cares about herself.” The same could be said about Finn.

• Mallory says:

Touché. Which is yet another reason why this “engagement” is almost certainly never going to work out. Dude proposes because he thinks he’s going to lose his much-more-talented girl, girl says yes because she thinks she has no other options. Ah, what a love story. (Yeah right.)

• Debra says:

You must have missed the sleepover scene where Rachel said that whenever she saw her dreams of Broadway coming true, Finn was always at her side. Rachel wants both Broadway and Finn.

• Mallory says:

I didn’t say that she didn’t. What I said was that if she had to choose between the two, there’s no way in the world she’d pick Finn.

• yep says:

You have no point. The truth of life is that all people have dreams multiple dreams we hope to succeed and live up to. And that there is no stone etched by Moses that states you have to choose either stardom or relationship. Quinn doesn’t know that one can have multiple dreams. Neither does Finn. Funny Quinn was willing to settle last season for Finn. Now she has set her sights for a unilateral one dimensional dream-Yale. Rachel on the other hand has set her sights like a firework-multiple dreams knowing there will be hard work but joyful to share a life as one with Finn-grow together. I was like Quinn no relationship established and solidified so set my sights unilateral and missed out on a loving relationship to grow as one. As an older person I understand Rachel’s desire to achieve both and no reason why she and Finn can’t grow together thru life. I feel this story line is a growth period for Finn. Kurt gave him an out side look at himself to see he CAN ACHIEVE AND BE MORE THAN WHAT HE THINKS OF HIMSELF. Now Finn needs warp speed to find his niche in his own world. I always loved Puck but saddened he saw himself as in jail dead or both.

• AngieD says:

To be fair, Rachel has told Finn multiple times that she’s going to NY. She told him that before she agreed to give him another chance at the end of season 2. Also, neither is looking to set a date – no talk about getting married right after graduation. To me, it’s more of a promise ring.
      Kurt did have a point that if they really wanted to get married, they would’ve told everyone. Both are engaged for the wrong reasons to the right person. In other words, I think Rachel and Finn are good together – they boost each other, but are also willing to call each other out on things. The engagement is just wrong because they were both at low points when they made their decision.

26. Daisyduke says:

I really enjoyed tonite’s episode. Loved Ricky and Sexy and I Know it. Will is way out of character from s1 Mr Shue. S1 Will spoke spanish and was a mentor and leader to the class not a clown. This was obviously a filler episode but the music I have to say was enchanting a different genre than I listen to but I really listened aand enjoyed the Spanish lyrics. I think this episode is a transitional 1 for characters story lines lead certain ones into others. Nene and Sue were hysterical.

27. Brandon says:

I have defended Glee to no end, even in the worst oif season 2, but this episode was terrible. Probably the worst one ever. Not only was it offensive to the Latino community, but Sexy and I Know It from an adult teacher in high school was completely inappropriate, and an as educator I am completely insulted by the way teaching and hiring was handled in this episode. I’m not done with Glee, but I’m going to forget this episode ever happened and move on.

28. Tay says:

Why not just cancel Glee and save the reputations of good actors everywhere.

29. DC says:

Just lift and scrub. You knew it would be so easy!!!

30. Laura says:

Ugh. This might just be the worst episode -___- I’m a pretty hardcore Glee fan and have always defended it from haters, but this episode was just asdghdksnzbjxnskm. I feel like the writers are TRYING TOO HARD AND FAILING. They are trying to come up with “new/creative” story lines that have major plot holes. It also annoys me that Glee is super stereotypical sometimes. Not all Latin people are Mexicans who where sombreros and silly shoes. Ricky Martin’s hottness saved it a little though ;)

• ACC says:

I think that was the point they were making in the episode, that not all Latin people are Mexicans in sombreros, and Mr. Shuester was not doing a very good job as a Spanish teacher.

• Sari says:

You are right!
        Will is a great teacher/mentor to the Glee kids but it’s a terrible Spanish teacher. As a native Spanish speaker I can tell you his Spanish is terrible. Actually, Ms. Holliday’s Spanish was way better (although she made some tiny mistakes)

31. Alison says:

Again. Since season 2, Jayma Mays and Naya Rivera saving glee.

32. dani says:

I think it is funny how seriously people take this show, because I just find it hilarious and always entertaining. Like the majority of television, if you take something too serious people will always get offended. This episode won’t go down as one of my favorites, but I still thought it had a lot of strong points.I like Samcedes. I know I am one of the few, but I think they are cute. I don’t think they need to play it out as much as they have, but whatever Sam is a cutie (loved his singing tonight!). Santana is always amazing, and I hope they keep doing her character justice. Not a huge Mr. Shue fan, so I like seeing him get put in his place, which then may lead me to liking him more…if that makes sense. Overall, I am very excited for next week’s episode, but I still enjoyed and appreciated this one.

• champmav says:

Thank you for your words, they are my thoughts also. Glee is always entertaining, sometimes just less so. Deal with it.

• Wes says:

THANK YOU for posting this. People take Glee way too seriously, the show should be purely for entertainment value. The episode was hilarious (especially Roz’s rant) and I love Samcedes. This wasn’t my favourite episode ever, but I still enjoyed it.

33. Angela says:

“Madonna, Elvis, and the ballads of Gloria Estefan were somehow passed off as building blocks of an authentic Latino experience.”
    YES! By the time it got to the Elvis song, I was like, “What…does this have to do with Latin culture?” Especially since Will, at the start of the show, made a point of telling the kids the songs must be Latin-related somehow. And I didn’t even think about the tenure issue-good eye, people who caught that!
    Sounds like we’re all in general agreement here. I did enjoy Ricky’s performance with the class, they clearly looked like they were having fun dancing around to the song (and because, god help me, that song IS incredibly catchy and I kind of sort of like it *Ducks head*), but yes, a teacher dancing with his students like that to a song like that-never would happen at any of my schools. Ever. And Sue asking students for sperm donations was BEYOND creepy. I’m glad Santana, Becky, Kurt (his discussion with Finn was definitely the best part of the show), and Emma actually called people out on their issues this episode. They were clearly the sane ones in all this.
    As for Will’s issues with Spanish, I said elsewhere that this seems to be a bit of a theme on TV shows-those who watch “Community” will recall that Senor Chang had a similar problem :p. Don’t know what TV’s thing with that is, but there we are.

34. Mark says:

Probably my least favorite episode of the season. I however liked “A Little Less Conversation” and hated “Sexy and I know It”

35. Carmichael says:

All I can say is, this Roz Character needs to go the way of Will’s ex-wife and her sister.

36. Jennifer says:

Stop bashing Santana’s educational goals :P I’m Spanish-speaking and I took Spanish in high school because I wanted to learn “proper” Spanish without the slang and correct grammar.

37. Joanne says:

Nowadays I only watch this show for Naya Rivera. La Isla Bonita was OUTSTANDING… and although Chord Overstreet doesn’t usually do it for me (apart from being eye-candy), I really liked Bamboleo/Hero!
    Will Schuester is extremely annoying. I cannot STAND Matthew Morrison anymore… seriously, the guy just cannot act decently to save his life. However, I found the final scene with Emma very sweet. Another annoying storyline was Sue’s… As you said, they try to give her touching storylines but it comes out as ridiculous. It’s just Glee.
    Overall, an OK episode. Ricky Martin was better than I thought he would be and the two good musical numbers made up for the rest.

38. Sally says:

I sincerely thought this episode was one of the worst of the series. It was just…bad. Ridiculous/unrealistic plots (more than usual), horrible song choices, and more character inconsistencies (again).

39. Zak says:

I been following the show since it’s Pilot before stopping after the 2nd episode of this season. I just started giving it a shot with the last 3 episodes (skipping the Christmas episode) only for them to go back into this episode that was the reason I stopped watching in the first place. This is one of the few shows that would be better served with only 13 episodes since it’s clear they can’t do filler episodes.

40. RMB says:

Slezak–best interaction of the episode was b/w Kurt and Finn. Nicely brotherly and totally focused on Kurt’s being on Finn’s side.

• Manda says:

Except the part where he is a hypocrite admitting without words that he would marry Blaine if Blaine proposed . . . so . . .

41. Dave says:

Did Heather Morris sign some sort of new contract that limits her to ONE LINE per episode!?
    And yeah, a seriously weak episode … slightly buoyed by La Isla Bonita, the Kurt/Finn scene (and I’m a Kurt-hater) … and the laugh-out-loud “with WHOSE VAGINA!?” line.

42. Nate says:

Yeah, this was a total filler episode (but then it seems like pretty much all since Sectionals have been). Once again, the adults really don’t seem to play an important role in the show and Naya Rivera is indeed the MVP of the show now. I really missed the Warblers and especially Sebastian, as the Sue and Roz stuff really didn’t seem interesting or important to any plot development even remotely at all. Oh, and, once again, these supposedly tolerant writers keep writing Kurt as a girl (OUR periods?), which frustrates even more as there are more than three writers now to theoretically consider character development. I think that it is about time for a hiatus and I hope Glee can finish the season stronger.

43. Alison says:

Since when does a single student’s comment affect a teacher’s position? Especially from someone like Santana, a known trouble-maker. And while Santana’s complaint was legit, Becky’s (really? a “lack of focus”?) is completely general and not worth losing a tenure spot over. I went to a public high school, and most students found more flaws in the administration than in the teaching, but the only time complaints or comments were filed was when students were disgruntled at not doing well in a class, or having a personal problem with the teacher, and none of these complaints actually yielded a result.

44. aunt_deen says:

As a teacher, I have had to remind myself over and over not to be shocked and outraged at the ridiculous situations this show creates. Teachers, coaches, and counselors, with different experience, competing for the same tenure position. A teacher being certified to teach any subject whatsoever. Teachers and students in shockingly inappropriate conversations and situations. An acting principal having the authority to expel a student on the spot. A school with a Downs student having no special ed program. A teacher with the authority to hire another teacher. It just doesn’t end.
    However, if I am looking to Glee for writing consistency or believeable plotlines, I am just asking for misery and frustration.
    So. I will say that the Kurt/Finn conversation was the best part of the episode. Second place goes to “Taint Misbehaving.” No third place. Sorry.

• Meg says:

Not every student with a disability needs to be enrolled in Special Ed classes/programs. Labeling a student with a disability as “Special Ed.” can do more damage to their self-esteem than good (and I have a disability; not Downs, but one that would’ve put me in Special Ed classes if my parents didn’t fight the school administrators). Also–Schue didn’t hire Martinez; he told Figgins there was someone better qualified to teach Spanish. Don’t take everything so literal. The world isn’t black and white.

45. Joe says:

I also thought Kurt’s scene with Finn was a bright spot in a horrible episode. The fact that Kurt articulated that Finn is more the rarity in musical theater world and would be more desirable was something I was waiting for this show to tell his character and all the viewers. A hunky straight guy who can sing and dance is more rare in the theater world than the stereotypes Kurt and Rachel represent. I would even imagine if Finn applied to the NYADDA school he’d get in before Kurt and Rachel since the show has shown us that there are tons of Kurt’s and Rachel’s out there all with the same dreams.
    What would make the show truly great was showing Finn get accepted into the school with Kurt and Rachel not getting accepted and having to come up with a plan B.
    Kurt telling his step-brother that he’s more rare and special in that world than he knows he is was a pretty smart moment in a stupid episode.

• anon says:

I liked the scene between Kurt and Finn, but I was frankly upset when Kurt told Finn he was a ~special snowflake~ because he was a straight football player. Like Glee club is hard up for those! (Sam, Puck, Finn, Mike, Matt, Artie). The fact is is that there is not exactly a shortage of hot white straight guys trying to make it in the entertainment biz. Finn’s ~specialness of being straight won’t help him in that industry; only talent, drive, and hard work will. And I honestly don’t think he has enough of the first two. The third remains to be seen.
      But what’s upsetting about Kurt’s words is when you place them in light of Kurt’s own experience in I Am Unicorn: being told that he’s too “girly” and “delicate” to succeed in what he wants to do. He was really upset by that, and I think it’s still an insecurity of his, so it is bizarre to me that he’d turn around and say, “Cheer up Finn! You’re everything I’m not, and so will succeed where I want to!” I thought it was incredibly insensitive (of the writers) to Kurt’s struggle this season.
      Oh, and Joe? Kurt and Rachel are NOT stereotypes, okay? That kind of thinking is exactly what has Kurt miserable at the thought of being doomed to play drag roles all his life.
      And there is no way in hell that Finn’s mediocre singing, sub-par dancing, and empty CV would get him into NYADA where Kurt and Rachel failed. And he missed the deadline anyway.

46. Louie says:

I guess I’m the only person who was literally LOLing at Roz dressing down Sue. It was refreshing to see Sue get a taste of her own medicine (Molly Shannon’s character did that slightly) but I foretell Nene’s character being written out soon over a scandal from her losing her bronze medal (she does mention that medal quite a bit)

47. Dexter Q says:

Damian’s dancing was the best part.

48. Emily says:

I actually cringed while watching this episode. Cringed. I don’t know if Murphy & Co. are trying to criticize the education system, or if the connotations were unintentional. Either way, I was watching with a friend who’s a teacher, and I felt so bad for subjecting her to this episode. Roz Washington’s rant at Sue was also about 10 minutes too long. Why am I still watching this show? Right, because I love Mike Chang’s moves. Except for when he became a bull at Schue’s request. What the heck was that?

49. J says:

I guess I’m the only one who feels bad for Mr. Schue. And I’m Mexican, but I just feel bad for him in general.

50. Rose says:

That was…terrible. Absolutely horrible. As a certified teacher I’m pissed off at how they portrayed the American education system. I know that most of the time Glee is far from realistic, but really. Will can’t just flip flop between concentrations whenever it suits him. I’m surprised that Sue with all the awards she’s won, plus her age, didn’t already have tenure. Will too, he’s been there what 10 years?

• Volcfom says:

Yeah I had issue with Sue not having tenure yet. I think some teachers can get it in as little as 3-5 years. A professor at the college I attended was up for tenure after two years.

• Adrienne says:

She would/should have gotten it during the period when she had won however many consecutive cheerleading nationals competitions.
        But since it’s so easy to switch your subject of choice, maybe she should try her hand at teaching Latin or calculus V instead- maybe she’ll have an easier time in a concentration that is more obscure.