ABC Family Picks Up Dance Drama Bunheads From Gilmore Girls Creator

Get More: News, Series Orders

Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino is hoofing it back to the small screen: ABC Family has picked up the writer-producer’s drama pilot, Bunheads, to series, our sister site Deadline reports.

ABC Family Sets Return Dates for Secret Life and MIOBI, Ponders New Life for Chloe King

Bunheads stars Tony Award winner Sutton Foster as a Las Vegas showgirl who impulsively gets married and moves to the sleepy coastal town her hubby calls home. She finds work at a dance school — hence the show’s title — run by her mother-in-law.

Although Lorelai and Rory never demonstrated any special dancing abilities, it’s a subject with which Sherman-Palladino has a lot of familiarity. “I spent 20 years of my life with my hair in a bun,” she said when the project first got a pilot order last September. “I was supposed to be a dancer. My mother was a dancer. Her greatest heartbreak was when I got on Roseanne [as a writer]. So, while writing this will never equal playing ‘Rumpelteazer’ in a bus and truck tour of Cats, it does let me to tip my hat to a really special time in my life.”

Bunheads joins the comedy Baby Daddy and the reality series Beverly Hills Nannies, which got series orders last week, on the cabler’s slate of upcoming new programming.

Comments (27)

• Wow this show needs a new name, STAT. O.o

Comment by Jay – February 6, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Being somewhat connected to the dance world, I freaking love the title. Great use of a real term.

Comment by John – February 6, 2012 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST news ever! I have been so waiting for something from her back on TV, and ABC Family seems like a perfect fit

Comment by Colleen – February 6, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds interesting. I’d watch it since Sutton Foster is amazing.

Comment by Ava – February 6, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well Lorelai did always want to win the dance marathon trophy from kirk :)
    will we ever find out the last words she wanted to end the finale on?

Comment by Martina – February 6, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Omg I just watched that episode last night! Loveee it lol.
      So excited about this! I really hope it’s good.

Comment by Katie – February 6, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sutton Foster, you can do so much better
    I will admit to still being slightly bitter over the mess that ASP left Gilmore Girls in

Comment by Tessa – February 6, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dharma and Greg anyone?

Comment by Craig – February 6, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, an impulsive marriage. Dharma and Greg is the only thing to ever have done that before!

Comment by Darcy – February 6, 2012 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome! ASP has been off TV for far too long – and now she’s returning with Sutton Foster in hand. Can’t wait!

Comment by Evan – February 6, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am kinda dissappointed she is not writing a Gilmore girls movie but I’d watch ANYTHING with Sutton Foster!!! *-*

Comment by l – February 7, 2012 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I promise to support this in every possible way if ASP will promise to write a Gilmore Girls TV movie to tie up the loose ends, get Rory back with Jess and Luke and Lorelai married and expecting.

Comment by Collette – February 7, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sutton Foster rlz. But too bad this will keep her out of the stage.

Comment by Leo – February 7, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news. Anything by Amy will be great. The show sounds perfect for ABC family and I will watch!

Comment by mandy – February 7, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you just go to the comments section of every tv show article and imply that the show is a rip off of Dharma and Greg?

Comment by Cora – February 7, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for Sutton Foster to be on my tv weekly…if you don’t know her get to NYC to see Anything Goes before she leaves! Tony award winning indeed!

Comment by Katie – February 8, 2012 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was Sutton Foster’s Warbucks when she was a 10 year old Annie in Augusta, Georgia. She was magnificant. We showed to an audience of 4000 in five performances. One of the thrills of my life. Now at 80, I still kick up my heals occasionally but Sutton was the heart of our show and will be the heart of every stage she walks on.

Bill Atkinson

Comment by Bill Atkinson – March 22, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great comment!

Comment by Monica – March 31, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! There is no one quite like her… So excited to see her in this show!! Marilyn Levinson, Bay Area Cabaret, San Francisco

Comment by Marilyn – April 12, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is suttun leaving “Anything Goes” for good? She’s not going on the tour? Sad day

Comment by Washougal sax man – April 1, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really great, I hope some of the characters of GG guest star in BUNHEADS. That alone would make the show worth watching. Kind of like how 7th heaven characters are on The Secret Life of The American Teenager. This show could be fun to watch!

Comment by Alicia Henderson – April 3, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sutton will be absolutely AMAZING As Michelle, I am sooooo excited to watch this show!!

Comment by Elle Brooks – May 27, 2012 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just watched it I can say its good and the ending was schocking.
    but you can tell Amy wrote it as Michelle is a lot like lorali and I see a rory like double in Sasha but they have a different relationship.
    Good and I will watch until the end, but i don’t know if it will last long in my catalogue with shows more like suits and because I’m less Gilmore Girlsy than when I was growing up.

Comment by Jordie – June 12, 2012 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just watched it for the 2 nd time. Sutton is fabulous. What a great show. Great title. Quirky town. Oh my Alan Ruck. That was quick.

Comment by Hannah Rhein – June 15, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sutton Foster fabulous. Title fabulous . Just saw it for 2nd time Quirky. Cute. I’m in it to watch it.

Comment by Hannah Rhein – June 15, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The anti-semantic quote, “We broke into a temple and went skinny-dipping in the mitzvah, correctly (mikvah) baths,” is outragious and unacceptable. Please delete it from the show. There is nothing funny about disrespecting religions. Thank you.

Comment by Nora Weinberg – July 25, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post