Ratings: Big Bang and Person of Interest Hit All-Time Highs, 30 Rock Falls Below Community

The Big Bang Theory continues to get bigger and bigger.

The CBS megahitcom this week drew an all-time Thursday high* of 16.4 million total viewers while scoring a 5.4 demo rating. In head-to-head competition for that first half-hour, the geeks bested American Idol (15.8/5.0) in both measures for a second consecutive week, and netted a win over the Fox juggernaut in the demo for a third straight time.

*UPDATE: Per the final ratings, Big Bang drew 16.54 million total viewers — aka the show’s unqualified largest audience ever.

For the full hour, American Idol drew 17.1 million total viewers and a 5.4 rating virtually flat with a week ago. The Finder led out of that with 7 mil and a 2.4, down 17 and 14 percent.

The Eye network eyed another high courtesy of Person of Interest, which hit new series bests in both total audience (with 15 million viewers, up 4 percent) and in the demo (up a tenth to 3.3).

A few other notes:

* As NBC comedies go, 30 Rock (3.2 mil/1.3) plunged 16 and 19 percent — falling below Community‘s most recent 3.62/1.5, ahemParks and Rec (3.65 mil/1.8) inched up 4 and 6 percent, The Office (5.3 mil/2.7) dropped double digits and Up All Night (3.8 mil/1.8) dipped 5 percent.

* Grey’s Anatomy‘s alt episode drew 9.64 million total viewers and a 3.5 rating, adding a few more eyeballs while flat in the demo. Private Practice (6.65 mil/2.3) gained 10 percent.

* The Vampire Diaries (2.7 mil/1.2) added a tenth in the demo, while The Secret Circle (1.7 mil/0.7) saw a 7 percent bump in total audience.

More to come, around 1 pm EST….

1. Nick says:

Person of interest is awesome, glad its doing well. And soooo glad American idol seems to be on its way down. So sick of hearing about that crap.

• AJ says:

I so agree with all of your comment Nick. POI is great and AI is a blight on the televisions of the world. I hate hearing about it.

• Rebelkah says:

Person of Interest is an amazing show that deserves to continue to expand its audience base. The leads, Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson, are two of the most talented actors working in any medium and are supported by an amazing group of writers. Plus the musical score absolutely blows me away every week. It’s like they are producing a mini-movie every week!Long run Person of Interest!

2. Alex says:

Yeah Big Bang Theory! Idol’s days of reign are over!

3. Carmen says:

I seriously do not understand how people can find this show funny, though. W o w, I’m impressed, but it mediocre comedy. I wish some NBC sitcoms (and Raising Hope) would be pulling this kind of ratings. They’re the ones that truly deserve it.

• mo says:

I don’t understand it either. I actually watched BBT for a few seasons, but after a while, it just felt so repetitive week after week that I gave up on it. Oddly (or perhaps not), it seems to be growing in popularity as it declines in quality. Meanwhile, many of NBC’s shows don’t get the ratings they deserve. Of course, it doesn’t help that NBC continues to be in denial, clinging to its glory days when its Thursday night offerings were considered Must See TV by the masses. It needs to accept the fact that CBS/FOX own the night and that it’s going to be impossible to grow any of its shows on Thursday, particularly in the 8-9pm time slot.

• JB says:

To each his own…the NBC comedies bore me to death (so does Modern Family) and don’t make me laugh. For you, TBBT is mediocre comedy, for 16.4 million people is isn’t. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it is mediocre. The ratings tell the story…TBBT rocks and NBC just sinks like a rock.

• spike says:

same, i dont understand the style of comedy nbc does, its not funny to me

• Jenn says:

Ratings aren’t everything. Generally, as ratings go up, it means the show appeals to a broader range of people and is aiming for the lowest common denominator, meaning more cliches and standard plots. While I still find Jim Parsons incredible, I do think BBT is trending this way. It started off as a unique concept and show, and is becoming standard TV fare.

• Aprilcot26 says:

I couldn’t have said it better. I watched the first few seasons of BBT, but once they moved it to Thursday nights, I had to make a choice. I feel like Community was worth it, even if NBC doesn’t.

• hannah says:

I hate sitcoms but I love the Big Bang Theory. The show has characters I like and they are not over-comedy-acting everything . And it’s really funny

• Hojana says:

Hilarious show, all of you are crazy and its not augmented. If you haven’t been to a taping don’t share you opinion in a way that makes it seems like you have.

4. PolicingGrammar says:

typo alert: NETTED
    ps: YAY

5. kevin says:

Can’t wait for next week’s PERSON OF INTEREST episode when Astro from X FACTOR guest stars.

6. Leah says:

Should I be worried for 30 Rock?

• Jarrod says:

I am worried too, but even if this were the last season, 6 is an awesome number to end on. I personally would like it to go all the way to a 7th and final season, but if it doesn’t, I can live with it.

7. Corinne says:

Yes! Every week, for example, I an genuinely appalled that all these people who claim to love comedy aren’t watching Parks and Rec, because it is literally the most hilarious show on TV, but no one seems to get it.

• Casey18 says:

Just because you say it doesn’t make it fact. Everyone is entitled to their own OPINION (look it up if you don’t know what it means), and mine is that while Parks is funny, TBBT is funnier. Having said that, I would never say you’re wrong.

8. Kyle says:

I completely agree! I find CBS comedies so awful and generally unfunny. I don’t know HOW so many ppl watch and enjoy them.. When comedies like parks & Rec and Cougar Town r struggling???

9. Sasha says:

LOVE and ADORE the fact that idol is going down hill.
    I cannot stand Jlo and Randy (ugh)

10. Kev says:

Big Bang Theory and Person of Interest FTW!!!

11. sarah says:

so happy that Person of Interest is getting more viewers
    Glad that Greys was strong as well as TVD! I think it has one of the highest ratings of all the CW shows. I guess more people are giving Secret Circle a try..I watch it but still have not grown to LOVE it yet
    Have to chuckle at the Office ratings..yes I still watch but it is mainly because it is one of the few shows my husband likes so we watch it together but seriously it should have ended last season and now with a steady decline they really want to do a Dwight spin off??! WTF

12. jess says:

Yeah that’s what happened with NCIS as well. It was doing ok for the first couple of years, then USA started airing re-runs and the ratings for new episodes on CBS skyrocketed.

13. Jimmy says:

Actually, idol’s Wednesday ratings still crush the big bang theory and any other show…so either way, idol is still the biggest show.

14. Julie says:

I love how people keep wondering every week how BBT is funny. For me it’s quite simple: I’ve gotten so attched to the characters throughout the years and even if Raj seems a little desperate at times and with the addition of the girls which I was unsure of I must admit you cannot help but to love those guys. I didn’t find the episode that funny (I was expecting more between Leonard and Sheldon) but I still enjoyed the episode and will watch it again for sure.
    What I’m concerned about is how AI still managed to get over 15 million viewers…

15. Lary says:

C’mon americans! You can’t be serious…
    I REALLY don’t understand how so many people watch TBBT and don’t watch REAL good comedies like 30 Rock and Park & Rec.

• Mike says:

I watch BBT, 30 Rock, Community, P&R and the Office. All different types of comedy, all very funny (well, the office used to be funnier).
      I don’t understand why there are some people that DON’T find BBT funny. The only complaint I ever hear about is because of the “LAUGH TRACK” even though it is filmed in front of a live studio audience. The show is hysterical.
      Of course, while I love BBT in syndication and new, I’d always pick Community over it. It’s an acquired taste, but it tastes so good!

• Angela says:

Yeah, this. I haven’t seen a ton of “Big Bang Theory”, but what I have seen I liked. And yet I still LOVE “Community” as well, and “The Office”, too. Haven’t had a chance to see “Parks & Rec” yet, but I definitely want to check that show out.
        Everyone’s tastes are varied, nobody is better or worse than anyone because of what they watch on TV.

• spike says:

its just a different type of humor, i love tbbt but i dont understand how 30 rock or the office r even comedies, they bore me to death. All they ever do is talk talk talk i dont see any thing remotely funny in those kind of shows

• JJ says:

I can’t speak for others, but I don’t watch the shows you mention because I don’t like the casts. On Community, I only like Joel McHale, but can’t stand Chevy Chase. Although you didn’t mention it, on 30 Rock, I despise Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey. I watched about 10 minutes of Parks once and was so repelled by the guy with the mustache, that I switched channels and never went back.

16. Mike says:

30 Rock probably suffered from the fact that a lot of people’s DVRs were pretending the show wasn’t on, so maybe people didn’t tune in? The Office probably suffered from the fact that their previous new episode was horrible.

• Jason says:

Yup, that’s exactly what happened to me. I was watching P&R and noticed that the beginning had the tail end of a NOT-recorded 30 Rock. Thank goodness for Hulu.

• Aprilcot26 says:

YES! My DVR did this to me as well and I was so bummed when I got home from work Thursday night. Glad to see it wasn’t just me!

17. jason s. says:

I completely agree with you! So sick of Idol. The writing and acting of Big bang is fantastic!

18. apor says:

Wow. POI is such a good show. It deserves these ratings. Next Stop NCIS like numbers for the show..
    Congrats to CBS. CBS told everyone that POI had the highest scores on viewer Test Groups, and they were right. Many in the media laughed at that, but CBS knew what they had.

• Justin says:

Person of Interest is my favorite new drama this year, by a landslide, and last night’s episode was one very good reason why.

• Renee says:

Yeah I love the show. The little bits of humor sprinkled into the seriousness of POI just kill me.

• Sharon Schjelderup says:

PoI deserves the praise it has been getting. It is not only the best new show this year, but the best show currently on network or cable. The numbers should be continuing to rise. Good acting, good camerawork, excellant twists and turns in plots.

19. Chris says:

Yeah! I have only two sexy, luscious, delicious and yummy words for you… JIM CAVIEZEL. Shoot and score!

20. Justin says:

I’m very happy for POI and the Big Bang Theory. BBT’s numbers are well-deserved, in my opinion. However, I think its a darn shame that other great comedies like Parks and Recreation (which is better than BBT to me) and The Office don’t get the same amount of viewers.

21. GK says:

POI deserves those numbers and more, if possible! TVD needs to be watched by more people. Its one of the best shows there is.
    I’m a huge fan of TBBT, but last night’s episode was just not fnny. It was enjoyable, but I only laughed once or twice the whole episode.

22. champmav says:

Must say I was surprised at the decline in quality of writing I witnessed with last night’s BBT episode. The audience laughter was also off-putting; it seemed extraordinarily fake/forced. This is usually such a smart and funny show. Unless it returns to less cartoonish depictions of the characters, I, a long-time fan, may have to bid regular viewing of this series adieu. What a pity. It became as dumb as HIMYM has been for a long while now.

• David says:

I agree. The only scenes worth watching were with Kaley (Penny). The interactions between Sheldon and the other characters were just plain mean (especially regarding the therapist’s suicide), rather than “quirky” (which has always been the mainstay of this show). The writers need to pick up their game and get the Leonard/Penny relationship going again.

23. AJ says:

I think 30 Rock is dropping in ratings because for some reason it just isn’t funny anymore. I used to pmsl while watching now, I am usually bored. I cross my fingers that it will get better but I think Kelsey Grammar may have been the shark that the show actually jumped. Oh well.

• Jenn says:

All the issues surrounding Tracy Morgan probably didn’t help. There are a lot of people who won’t watch anything he’s involved with right now and are angry that he wasn’t let go. Whether you agree with them or not, they still have influence.

24. Little Scarf Girl says:

While I’m sad 30 Rock is doing so badly, I hope this will make the network see that the 8PM Thursday timeslot is rough competition, and just because a show does poorly there doesn’t mean it’s a bad show. (Community!)

25. Tikkanen says:

So glad to see Person of Interest getting the love it deserves from viewers and TVline. It’s got a solid ensemble cast, decent scripts, and good action.

• Juliab. says:

I have watched Person of Interest from the beginning and it keeps getting better and better. Last night’s episode was excellent.

• Haroon says:

Agreed! My thoughts exactly.
        Each episode seems better than the last.
        This week’s episode was brilliant and really got me excited with this new hacker character. POI is the best new show I’ve seen after Lost.

26. Becca says:

I’m really starting to believe that one of the reasons why The Big Bang Theory has had an increase within the past couple of weeks is because Community is on hiatus.

27. C says:

OK,NBC your little experiment didn’t work. Bring back Community.

28. Sam says:

POI is the new CBS has been looking for . The show is gaining viewers week by week. This means the show will only get stronger with time.
    Almost 15 million viewers, CBS has not been able to get so many viewers into any new drama since NCSI LA.
    A strong writing and a strong cast. CBS was smart enough to get Jim C. Talented man.

29. Kristina says:

Can we PLEASE, PLEASE have Community back now, since everything NBC does lately is an epic fail?!

30. Joe says:

Glad to see that turning American Idol into Nashville Star has backfired. I thought Scotty McCreepy would be the beginning of the end and it looks like I was right.

31. Brianne says:

I miss community

32. Alyssa says:

Um, what about the Mentalist??? :/

33. Diane says:

It’s too bad no one saw 30 Rock last night, Alec Baldwin was on fire.

34. Chris says:

If anything, I hope 30 Rock’s numbers just show NBC that Community’s time slot is pretty rough and it’s doing the best it can with a cult hit. Hopefully it’s enough to give Community a 4th season to wrap everything up.

35. Nadine says:

30 Rock was amazing last night! The writers on that show deserve a medal, so funny! Jack vs. Jack via Liz, brilliant. We lol’ed at least 8 times.

36. Glenn Kantorski says:

Person of Interest is one well written show. Each new episode is better than the last. A great year of quality TV along with Suits and Homeland.

• Guy says:

Exactly. Same can’t be said for Alcatraz though. Was looking forward to it and all i got was disappointment. Glad POI is doing great as well as Big Bang.

37. Dot says:

I hate that parks ana recreation are doing this low all of my friends that I made watch one episode are hooked now I think its cuz the name bt give it a chance people its probly the best comedy on TV I used to love bbt bt after its 2nd season it started to feel like the same episode over and over again I really don’t get these rateings :(