Pilot Scoop: Andre Braugher Lands Lead in Shawn Ryan's Last Resort for ABC

Two-time Emmy winner Andre Braugher (Homicide, Thief) has scored a lead role in Last Resort, an ABC drama pilot being exec-produced by Shawn Ryan (The Shield, The Unit) and penned by Karl Gajdusek (Dead Like Me), our sister site Deadline reports.

Check Out TVLine’s Pilot Season Lingo Guide and Our Latest List of Pilots

Set in the not-so-distant future, Last Resort follows the crew of a U.S. nuclear submarine who become fugitives after refusing to fire their missiles. Ultimately, they make camp on an island that hosts a NATO listening station and declare themselves an independent nuclear nation. Braugher will play Capt. Marcus Chaplin, the commander of the AWOL sub.

Braugher’s most recent TV credits include Men of a Certain Age (where he earned a pair of Emmy nods) and a recurring SVU gig.

1. Justin says:

They make camp on an island? Does this mean the entire series is taking place on an island? I wonder if there will be some smoke monsters and numerous hatches buried underground. I think I heard there’s also a mysterious polar bear in the first episode.

2. Danielle H says:

I don’t see this going anywhere. It doesn’t appeal to a large enough demo, much less myself.

3. AJ says:

Good casting choice and I like it. Much better than forcing another female viewer targeted show on us.

4. localboy says:

Actually I kinda like the premise of this show. I’ll be looking out for this one…

5. kirads09 says:

I adore Andre and have since Homicide. This sounds like it could hold promise if done right written in a way worthy of an actor like this. I am almost picturing him as a Captain Nemo type? He deserves a big hit – he is an incredible talent. Any news on other cast members?

6. Jason says:

I hope this gets picked up at ABC, along with Penoza, Zero Hour, 666 Park Ave, Gotham and the Seth Green sci-fi drama.

7. Natalie says:

Andre rocks my world.

8. newscaper says:

Hopefully this will be a plausible feeling story like the genuine dilemma in the movie Crimson Tide, rather than some liberal anti-military masturbation.

9. Mike Loftis says:

Getting all my submarine friends and their families to boycott the show. How disrepectful of those who actually served and earned their dolphins, but then it’s ABC so what do you expect. We are getting a letter campaign together to boycott the advertisers and want the show off the air as soon a possible. Spent too many years on boomers to watch this crap that could never happen. That;’swhat you get when you have a bunch of coke snortin, kiddie chasing writers hard up for a story line. HMCS(SS) USN Ret

10. Louise Butterfield says:

Have been watching the ads for the show. Would like to know the song they
    are using as the theme song for the show.