Pilot Scoop: ABC Gets Smart With Portia de Rossi Comedy Produced by Ellen DeGeneres

Get More: Casting News, News, Pilots

Continuing its development season orders, ABC on Friday picked up The Smart One, a half-hour comedy starring Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development), penned by Donald Todd (Samantha Who?) and to be executive-produced by Ellen DeGeneres and Lauren Corrao (The Job). Todd also serves as an EP.

Check Out TVLine’s Pilot Season Lingo Guide and Our List of Ordered Pilots

A multi-cam sitcom, The Smart One stars de Rossi stars as a brilliant and successful woman who begrudgingly goes to work for her less-brainy but more popular sister — a former beauty queen and weather girl who is now, somehow, a big-city mayor. It’s like Benson, if Robert Guillaume was a leggy blonde.

ABC’s other comedy pilot orders thus far include American Judy (starring another Arrested Development alumna, Judy Greer), Reba McEntire’s Malibu CountryHow to Live With Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life and  Untitled Dan Fogelman Comedy starring Jami Gertz (Still Standing).

Comments (21)

• Mulit-camera?! BOOOOO!!! ABC, you have such success with your single-camera shows, why oh why do you need to change that?!

Comment by Sam – February 3, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BOO indeed! Is this going to have a laugh track as well? Too bad, sounded promising.

Comment by John – February 3, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What difference does how many cameras make as long as the show is well written and funny? I will never get why people get so caught up over that.

Comment by Dan – February 3, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more, funny material is funny material, regardless of single/multi camera setup.

Comment by Brendan – February 3, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah; Too bad none of this is funny… Except that they paid anything for it.

Comment by TJ. Church – February 3, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!!!

Comment by Matthew – February 3, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more!

Comment by Justin – February 3, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Multiple camera comedies and canned laughter suck.

Comment by Jason – February 3, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds like Twins, I think it was on The WB and lasted only a season, it wasn’t good at all. That said, anything with Portia de Rossi is worth watching, that’s if it gets picked up.

Comment by Ben – February 3, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! I love Portia. She was great on AD and the way too short Better Off Ted. hopefully this show keeps her on tv for awhile.

Comment by Kate – February 3, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We loved better off ted! hated abc for cancelling it. hopefully this has better luck!

Comment by LD – February 3, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved her on Ally McBeal. I’m in.

Comment by Toto – February 3, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Portia de Rossi on ABC again?! Better Off Ted is coming back? The amazing Veronica will finally come back to TV’s? What, no? But it’s a comedy on ABC? Yes! Wait, it’s a multi-cam comedy on ABC? Ugh…

Comment by Lana – February 3, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed Samantha, Who? This could be promising.

Comment by Mark – February 3, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This could be really good, I’ll give it a shot. Portia and Ellen have good comedic chops, here’s hoping that helps

Comment by Carmichael – February 3, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather they just bring back Better Off Ted.

Comment by Dav – February 3, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just need Cougar Town and Happy Endings renewed. All these pilot orders scare me!

Comment by Rolfe – February 3, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so glad Portia de Rossi will be back on my television. Now they just need to cast someone who won’t annoy me as the sister…
    Oh and ensure that this comedy doesn’t knock out Cougar Town or Happy Endings.

Comment by Mandy – February 4, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well… this is another Comedy Sitcom I am looking forward to watching. I can’t wait for this one and Reba’s “Malibu Country”, I’ve heard they’re both gonna be amazing. Let’s hope they stay on air a long time!

Comment by Nick – February 7, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god!! Portia is amazing and this show looks fantastic, it HAS to start soon, I’m running out of arrested development episodes on netflix…

Comment by Alex – February 13, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post