Pilot Scoop: ABC Gets Smart With Portia de Rossi Comedy Produced by Ellen DeGeneres

Continuing its development season orders, ABC on Friday picked up The Smart One, a half-hour comedy starring Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development), penned by Donald Todd (Samantha Who?) and to be executive-produced by Ellen DeGeneres and Lauren Corrao (The Job). Todd also serves as an EP.

Check Out TVLine’s Pilot Season Lingo Guide and Our List of Ordered Pilots

A multi-cam sitcom, The Smart One stars de Rossi stars as a brilliant and successful woman who begrudgingly goes to work for her less-brainy but more popular sister — a former beauty queen and weather girl who is now, somehow, a big-city mayor. It’s like Benson, if Robert Guillaume was a leggy blonde.

ABC’s other comedy pilot orders thus far include American Judy (starring another Arrested Development alumna, Judy Greer), Reba McEntire’s Malibu CountryHow to Live With Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life and  Untitled Dan Fogelman Comedy starring Jami Gertz (Still Standing).

1. Sam says:

Mulit-camera?! BOOOOO!!! ABC, you have such success with your single-camera shows, why oh why do you need to change that?!

2. Dan says:

What difference does how many cameras make as long as the show is well written and funny? I will never get why people get so caught up over that.

3. Jason says:

Multiple camera comedies and canned laughter suck.

4. Ben says:

This sounds like Twins, I think it was on The WB and lasted only a season, it wasn’t good at all. That said, anything with Portia de Rossi is worth watching, that’s if it gets picked up.

5. Kate says:

Awesome! I love Portia. She was great on AD and the way too short Better Off Ted. hopefully this show keeps her on tv for awhile.

6. Lana says:

Portia de Rossi on ABC again?! Better Off Ted is coming back? The amazing Veronica will finally come back to TV’s? What, no? But it’s a comedy on ABC? Yes! Wait, it’s a multi-cam comedy on ABC? Ugh…

7. Mark says:

I really enjoyed Samantha, Who? This could be promising.

8. Carmichael says:

This could be really good, I’ll give it a shot. Portia and Ellen have good comedic chops, here’s hoping that helps

9. Dav says:

I’d rather they just bring back Better Off Ted.

10. Rolfe says:

I just need Cougar Town and Happy Endings renewed. All these pilot orders scare me!

11. Mandy says:

I am so glad Portia de Rossi will be back on my television. Now they just need to cast someone who won’t annoy me as the sister…
    Oh and ensure that this comedy doesn’t knock out Cougar Town or Happy Endings.

12. Nick says:

Well… this is another Comedy Sitcom I am looking forward to watching. I can’t wait for this one and Reba’s “Malibu Country”, I’ve heard they’re both gonna be amazing. Let’s hope they stay on air a long time!

13. Alex says:

Oh my god!! Portia is amazing and this show looks fantastic, it HAS to start soon, I’m running out of arrested development episodes on netflix…