Glee Takes Seven-Week Hiatus as Fox Launches New Tuesday Comedy Block

Tuesdays will be a little less Glee-ful in late winter/early spring as Fox launches a new comedy block that includes the return of Breaking In.

Fox “Extends” Alcatraz Run, Rests Fringe and House in March

The network confirmed Friday that Glee would air a “winter finale” on Feb. 21 and then take seven weeks off before returning on April 10 (at which point  the show will air all originals through the end of the season).

And then beginning March 6, Fox will debut a new Tuesday lineup that kicks off with a relocated Raising Hope at 8, followed by I Hate My Teenage Daughter at 8:30, New Girl at 9 and the Season 2 launch of Breaking In at 9:30.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News, Scheduling News

1. Jim-Steve says:

NO!!!!! What am I doing to do w/o my Glee??? I guess I’ll listen to my Glee CDs.

2. Mark says:

Why even both with I Hate My Teenage Daughter? Don’t they have another comedy they could pair Raising Hope with?

3. Katie says:

We’ve seen what 2 months did to Ringer it hurts ratings, no matter what Hiatus hurt ratings and frankly I think thats why cable is doing so well.

• Jericho says:

Cable does this ALL the time. Most (if not all) Cable Dramas air for 8-13 weeks straight and then take “hiatus” for 3-5 months. Why cable dramas continue to do so well is they will normally fill the same time slot with a different show of the same “theme”… FX, ABCFam, USA, Syfy, all do this extremely well. For example, Sons of Anarchy goes on hiatus, Justified shows up a few weeks later in the same time slot. Most cable outlets also do not typically use the 30minute comedy profile. While there are successful 30minute sitcoms (Always Sunny, Hot in Cleveland, Archer) they are fewer and farther between than the quality dramas on basic cable these days.
      As for the news about Glee … well maybe they can fix what has been wrong with the season with a few weeks off. The season has had about two high notes thus far and both have been centered around Naya Rivera. Maybe they can bring the fun back and stop doing stupid theme episodes and start servicing their characters again.

4. Emma says:

Are they trying to kill Glee? The ratings have already been kinda bad this season and the writing isn’t exactly making fans wanna stick around. Taking this break is just making it all worse.

• Katie says:

Especially because Smash is premiering soon on NBC so the viewers who only really watch for the musical numbers are gonna go there and 7 weeks gives people plenty of time to find another show the like more to watch on Tuesday nights.

• yep says:

You know I think you’re right. Smash premiere after the super bowl will be new and different where viewers can peruse a while. Not only give the Glee clan time off but some creative assessment time to mull over prior to their return. I think that this move is more strategic than Fox revamping their comedy line ups. IMO Raising Hope as funny as it is just isn’t getting the viewers like it should and maybe by pairing it with another new comedy show it will do better.
        As for Glee s2 they had big show toppers for fall and spring sweeps. Maybe this will be the same. But from what I have read Glee’s later episodes will be darker and more dramatic in nature-not sure if this is so but that’s what is out there.

• Sg.Grant says:

If Smash was on Tuesdays at 8/7Central then it might compete, but as it is, being up against Castle and Hawaii 5-0 doesn’t look great for Smash. I bet it gets a lot of On Demand/Hulu viewers.

5. Max says:

I figured with the last few hiatus-es we wouldnt have to go trough this crap again. FOX lemme tell you , i’m annoyed

6. Justin says:

I was excited for this, because Glee sucks. But then I noticed I Hate My Teenage Daughter airing at 8:30? Seriously? FOX doesn’t have ANYTHING else to air at this time. Here’s hoping Teenage Daughter is cancelled asap and they get something new to air in this time slot.

7. stupid says:

Just when I thought Fox could not mismanage this series more than they have. STUPID.

• Jerri says:

Oh, they could mismanage a series even more. Take Firefly. constant time slot changes, episodes aired out of order, is it any wonder the ratings weren’t good? No one could find when the show was on without hiring a private detective.

8. ugh says:

Hey Fox! Nice way for you to sh!t all over the people that are actually WATCHING your network. Fvck you.

9. NM says:

Don’t worry people about being bored watching “I Hate My Teenage Daughter” just switch over to ABC and watch Cougar Town – one of the funniest shows on TV!

10. Richard says:

Well…the bright side is that “I Hate My Teenage Daughter” will be airing opposite “Cougar Town”, instead of “Glee”, which could boost “Cougar Town”‘s ratings.

11. Liz says:

The type of scheduling that Glee has had this year is detrimental to any show, good or bad. I can’t believe they are taking another long hiatus. How are people supposed to become interested in a show that rarely airs regularly?

• Margaret in Oz says:

Totally agree. All these breaks are bad for Glee business. And here in Australia it’s even worse – because it’s our summer and there were no ratings from mid December to end of January, we went from fast-tracked episodes the same day as shown in the US to nothing. We resumed with episode 7 on January 27. We get to see the Christmas episode on February 10! Ho Ho Ho!
      Also I doubt that production on Glee will take a break – I think they will want to get the series squared away so they can concentrate on another tour if they do one, and Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk can concewntrate on Series 2 of American Horror Story.
      And for the people that don’t like Glee and have nothing better to do than bag it – please just go and watch something else and leave the real Glee fans to enjoy in peace.

12. Boiler says:

Just make more Glee!!! This is absolutely idiotic

13. Larissa says:

This is horrible. I mean, I’ve watched “I Hate My Teenage Daughter” and while it’s not that bad, I think Fox could have put a much better show in-between “Raising Hope” and “New Girl”. I’m really going to miss Glee. :/

• yep says:

Yeah I know same here. I’ve never been addicted to a show as much as I have with Glee. It’s meth to me. I’ve watched Raising Hope a few times but it’s not me. I just hope there is more strategic reasons for such a long hiatus than this wimpy reason.

14. amberjj says:

i dont even watch glee, but a 7 week hiatus is really awful. Are they trying to kill the show?

15. Jon says:

I agree, the only positive out of this is that Cougar Town will benefit from this scheduling. Go Cougars!
    Serioulsy, SEVEN weeks?! Why not air repeats instead if they don’t have enough shows in the can? Or air the Glee Project?

16. Bobbi says:

But, they wonder why the ratings drop?

• Stacie says:

Exactly. This show has had one of the most inconsistent seasons, in terms of schedules that I ever remember a show having. I get that they had to take off for baseball, but then they put the X Factor on Tuesdays at 8, then they took off 6 weeks for the Holidays, then they came back for a week, then the President’s Address, now another 7 weeks? That’s crazy. FOX has a lot of shows, but Glee is/was supposedly one of their featured/main shows, yet they are treating it like it’s not. I don’t get it.

• ggny says:

ratings dropped because Glee got overexposed and people got sick of it that + Season 2 sucking = Rating drop it reminds me of what happened with The OC…If Glee didnt make that horrible excuse of a Concert Movie to try and make money i really think Glee ratings would be still great

17. Jackie says:

What FOX mismanage a TV show “never” Remember this is the same network that created the Firefly fiasco.

18. Steven says:

Glee is truely awful, so I’m glad to have that off the schedule. However, moving Raising Hope to 8pm is going to kill that show!

19. marlene la chilena says:

PUTA LA WEAAA! QUE PAJA!!!

20. brandy says:

Why fix what isn’t broken? I’m worried for what happens to Raising Hope at 8…

21. JJ says:

WOO! That means everyone can watch Cougar Town!! Best show on TV and now maybe more will discover the cul-de-sac crew!

22. Tinemi says:

So, this is FOX new strategy to get people to watch (maybe) their new shows: sending the big guns to hiatus while fans wait? They did it with Bones and they’re doing it with Glee. Why?? Is someone really seeing The Finder (that’s its name no?)? Are any of you interested in I Hate my Teenage Daughter (one of the worst titles I’ve ever seen)?

• Bad Breaker says:

Yep, that title ranks right up there with S#&*! My Dad Says, except that show was kinda funny and Daughter is just dreadful.

23. Marisa says:

No. I refuse to go SEVEN WEEKS without my Glee. I’ll be stuck with crappy fan fiction and even that takes a while for the authors to update. I don’t know what I’ll do with my lack of a life. I guess I’ll just be in that sock drawer if anyone needs me. .-.

24. Elle says:

My god, this like the zillionith time Glee’s third season has taken a 2+ week hiatus. Makes sense with their production schedule, but I don’t even think this season has ever aired 4 weekly episodes uninterrupted.

25. champmav says:

FU Fox, you have no respect for your audience. Really starting to hate networks. Every decision they make seems hostile to viewers.

26. shaun says:

A kick in the groin to Glee….they are doing it sorta to Fringe and House too.

27. Melisa says:

Bunch of BS

28. pv says:

I hate networks and their scheduling. They literally make us work to watch their stuff.
    I read a lot of tv stuff, but even Im getting frustrated/confused about when the frak stuff is on. I can’t even imagine what its like for people who are normal, and don’t obsessively read industry blogs.
    Shorter seasons that run a solid 13 weeks. No reruns, no hiatuses. That’s how things should be done.
    This way is stupid and frustrating. Its almost forcing people to just wait until stuff comes to dvd.

29. dutchgrl says:

yeesh, I’ll just switch to Smash. b’bye Glee.

30. ggny says:

good move Glee has been over exposed due to the horrible mistake of making a 3D Concert movie and that why the rating have been in the dumb…Maybe taking it off the air for awhile will help it

31. Liz says:

I thought I Hate My Teenage Daughter was canceled. And despite being uncanceled, from what I have read about the changes their making to Breaking In this year, it probably would have been better off if it had stayed canceled. This angers me that they are taking Glee off the air for nearly 2 none summer months for this.

32. Alicia says:

I imagine that part of the hiatus is so that Glee can adapt the end of this season for the new story line(s) that will lead into this “new” and “groundbreaking” Season 4 that RIB has planned. It could take more time writing, recording, casting, etc than a regular schedule will allow. Even though I hate the idea of being without new Glee for 7 weeks, I can’t say I’m too angry if that’s the case. So much of the show is inconsistent, and so frequently they miss out on little details that could move a scene from “acceptable” to “extraordinary,” that I frankly think they could use the extra time to develop the script.

33. Malcolm says:

Since Glee returns on April 10, that gives them 7 weeks to play 8 episodes, which means one thing: 2 hour season finale. This 2 hour season finale is plausible since they’ve established in last year’s season finale that Nationals have 2 rounds, one for each hour.
    For the comedy block, basically FOX is killing I Hate My Teenage Daughter and Breaking In, since people have only 5 weeks to sample these shows, which is not enough. This schedule will only make sense if (and only if) they continue showing these two shows right after Glee, New Girl, and Raising Hope have their season finales.

34. Jay says:

Fox has done a horrible job marketing Raising Hope. They have a gem of a show that deserves more viewers. They could get them if Fox did more to promote the excellent guest stars and stop obsessing over Zooey and New Girl.

35. Carmichael says:

they’re going to just keep forcing I Hate My Teenage Daughter on us aren’t they? Sad.

36. Bobby says:

Well, they’ll lose this viewer during the hiatus.

37. Bee Stack says:

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!! I needs my Glee Oh, who’s kidding? I needs my Faberry and I needs it NOW!!! QUINN needs to Taylor Swift RACHEL at her WEDDING, and then profess her love!

38. Michelle says:

I’m really tired of all the breaks they’re putting in between episodes. As a fan, as opposed to keeping me on the edge of my seat wondering what’s gonna happen next, it just makes me angry.

39. Kenz says:

I HATE YOU FOX!!!! YOU ARE THE WORST NETWORK EVER!!! WE NEED GLEE AND YA”LL BITCHES CAN”T EVEN GIVE US THAT!!!

40. Margo says:

Well…Ryan Murphy shouldn’t expect his show to last much longer….a two month break in the middle of the season will do nothing but lower the already low Glee ratings. SMH at Fox!

• J says:

It isn’t like other networks aren’t doing it… Isn’t CSINY about to take a 6 or 7 week break?

• Angela says:

Yeah, this is happening with every network. Put it this way, at least you guys on FOX know the exact date of WHEN your shows are coming back. Some of us don’t have that luxury with other shows we like.
        I do agree that it’s incredibly annoying no matter who’s doing it, though. At one time a season used to start in September and run through May. Pretty simple. Now we have all these little gaps and shows on hiatus and then coming back and moving to different nights and whatnot, and it gets very confusing to follow sometimes. It amazes me how networks fail to see where that might be a rather big reason why so many shows fail.

41. Jo says:

Well… I guess I’ll just watch ncis instead. Apart from new girl, I hate all those shows. Hope your ‘comedy’ night fails and burns Fox.

42. Rolfe says:

Thanks God! I need a break from Glee. This season is getting progressively worse. Hard to watch.

43. DavidSask says:

Epic fail! Do you know how many people get mad when the show is not on consistently, there are whole threads on it in gay websites especially!

44. Melissa says:

Sucks Glee will be on hiatus, but I am so happy to see Breaking In coming back!!! I thought it was cancelled! Now if they can bring back Nine Lives of Chloe King, I’d be even more excited!!! :)

45. mariel says:

this totally sucks..another show on a long hiatus..why dont they cut the amount of time given to shows like american idol/x factor which are basically the same shows! first it was bones on prolong hiatus and then now glee!! sucks!

46. a says:

i agree too. all the breaks is definitely not helping the show. and the michael jackson episode was ok but they should’ve taken out like two unnecessary songs (ben & i just can’t stop loving you) and allowed for more dialogue/plot development.
    the only upside i guess is that its all new episodes once it returns. (the same thing they did last year)

• mdamm says:

I Just Can’t Stop Loving You was not unneccessary. That song was pivotal to the Finn-Rachel plot. To me, unneccessary were the songs sung by Quinn and Artie, respectively.

47. Claire says:

Love Glee! Why do they have to mess with it? Also, isn’t Sam from last summer’s Glee Project supposed to have 7 weeks on the show this year? If they’re gone 7 weeks, will there be enough time for that? (Hope that Damian continues to be on, too, they haven’t done all that much with him, yet, and he’s so cute.)

• Bad Breaker says:

As the winners of Glee Project, Samuel and Damien were each to have a 7 week arc. Looks like it’s farewell Damien and hello Sam after hiatus. They’ve really ignored Rory the last few eps anyway.

48. tvaddict says:

So I can watch Raising Hope at 8 and Cougar Town at 8:30-Perfect!

49. Jules says:

I really don’t care about Glee!!
    A bunch of DOUFUS who cannot act and lipsing correctly to their own voice…. Jane lynch is waisting her talent..use to enjoy her in every Christopher Guest’s movie….
    Tuesdays I only watch Raising Hope..that’s it