Secret Circle's Shelley Hennig on Diana's Love Life, Plus An 'Unexpected' Diana/Faye Moment

What’s a girl to do when she’s still in love with her ex, but he’s moving on? We seem likely to get the answer in this Thursday’s episode of The Secret Circle (The CW, 9/8c), because not only does good witch Diana find herself in precisely that predicament, but she’s throwing a birthday bash for her old flame to boot!

Here, TVLine chats with the sorceress’ portrayer, Shelley Hennig, about her character’s feelings for Adam, the possibility that she could be the second Blackwell child and, of course, all those Faye/Diana shippers.

Secret Circle Hot Shots: A Devilish Valentine’s

TVLINE | Diana and Ethan throw Adam a birthday party this week. How does that go?
Isn’t that interesting? You know, after Ethan rocked Diana’s world… he seems to be coming around. Adam has a rough relationship with his father. Even though Diana is dealing with Adam and Cassie, she’s still in love with Adam. She wants to be there for him, and she thinks it’s important to do something for his birthday. She’s always done it. It just so happens that Ethan asks Diana for help. So it’s kind of awkward, but Ethan’s really making an effort.

TVLINE | Birthdays are often a time when people rekindle their romances.
Right?! I don’t think that was Diana’s intention. As Adam’s best friend and the closest person she’s ever been to, she just thinks it’s the right thing to do, to throw him a birthday party. I think she tries to make herself… seem like the smallest amount of the reason [why] he’s actually having a birthday thrown, but Ethan throws Diana a loop, so she has to take control.

TVLINE | Do you feel like Diana and Adam are in a stronger place by the end of this episode? Or are they further apart?
I don’t know. I definitely don’t think it’s over.

TVLINE | How is she dealing with the budding Cassie/Adam romance?
It’s not easy for her. If it was, that would mean Diana was never really in love with Adam. You can’t move on that quickly. Diana, just as a mature person – for such a young age, might I add – she’s made the best decision for her and Adam. That was to give Adam the room to explore what he has with Cassie. Because if he doesn’t, then Diana will never know if she’s meant to be with him.

Once Prince Heads to Secret Circle

TVLINE | Is she pushing Cassie toward the other option – Jake?
There’s that, too. Diana wants to see how it unfolds naturally, because otherwise, she won’t get the right answer. She’ll still be where she was in the beginning. The breakup in their relationship would have been pointless. But who knows? Maybe Diana won’t be able to be as mature [indefinitely], and maybe she’ll lose it and push her toward Jake and be manipulative.

TVLINE | What are her feelings about Jake at this point?
They need Jake to have a complete circle. If they don’t have a complete circle, then they’re in trouble, and they don’t have powers. So Jake is there because he has to be. She’s on guard with Jake.

TVLINE | Is there any romance in store for Diana, with a new guy possibly?
Absolutely. Diana makes a decision in the Valentine’s Day episode to move on, because she has to, in the meantime, while Adam’s figuring out what’s going on with Cassie. She’s got to protect her heart, so she decides she’s going to move on. Not necessarily with another guy, but just in general. [But] she gets distracted with someone in Chance Harbor.

TVLINE | We have to talk about Fayanna. I got quite a few Faye/Diana questions for you from fans.
I think people love a good rivalry, and they established that in the pilot. What’s ironic is Phoebe [Jane Tonkin] and I are pretty close in real life. We hang out a lot together. I think people caught on to that. They’re like, “Oh, that’s cool, they’re actually really friends in real life, so we want to see them together.” [Laughs] But it’s the CW. Who knows where it’s going to go? We’re open to whatever, but we’re enjoying the shipping. It’s fun.

TVLINE | Is their friendship going to be softening a bit? Or will it remain antagonistic?
You’re going to understand more about Faye and Diana’s relationship coming up. You’re going to see that unfold. I don’t want to say in what way it’s going to be, but I’d say it’s safe to say that it’s unexpected.

TVLINE | There’s also a lot of speculation that Diana is the second Blackwell child. What do you think of that theory?
Oh, interesting! I think it’d be interesting if anybody was the other Blackwell child. If Diana is the other Blackwell child, what would make sense is why she has this connection with Cassie and why, when she and Adam break up, she goes to Cassie and cries to her, of all people. So I think it would make sense. But it could go any way.

TVLINE | Do you see that potential for darkness in her?
Let’s face it – her father’s Charles, and her grandmother is crazy. She’s out of her mind. They both have dark magic. I think it’s inevitable. I don’t know. It’ll be interesting to see. Maybe there’s more Diana in Charles, and maybe there’s more Charles in Diana? I don’t know. I really do hope that they explore that. I love working with Gale [Harold].

1. Dee says:

the one thing that is bugging me about the show is the circle mythology. I’ve been trying to figure out the parent’s circle. If it takes 6 to have a complete circle did the parents have 2 circles? one big circle? It may have been explained, but I missed it

• Anon says:

It’s not that hard to understand. This Circle is special because it’s a bound Circle of the 6 specific families (Blake, Armstrong, Meade, Conant, Glaser, and Chamberlain).
      It established in the pilot that all of them are 100% witches, meaning all of their parents were witches.
      It has also been established that before the fire that we witnessed in Ep. 12, Chance Harbor was filled with other families of witches, other Circles, and we also know that the previous group of parents never bound their Circle like Cassie and her Circle did now.
      So, we had the 6 specific families in the parents, and then they also had other witch friends that hung out with them a lot too and they ended up getting in relationships. Like Dawn and Tom Chamberlain (Faye’s father). It also explains why we saw a lot more dead witches on that boat other than just the parents specifically.
      So, it’s pretty easy to piece together with everything we’ve come to know since the start.

2. Sarah says:

Thank you for asking about Fayana! Can’t wait to see what happens between them!

3. Anon says:

I’m really looking forward to finding out more about the relationship Faye and Diana shared! We found out more about Diana and Melissa in Fire/Ice and I loved that! Diana is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters after Cassie. I see her as the equivalent of Caroline on TVD.
    Thanks for the awesome scoop though! I’m really anxious to watch tonight’s episode.

4. arakha says:

Great to hear some news about Fayana! I can’t wait to find out more about their relationship. Best ship on the show tbh.

5. scott says:

FAYANA IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN BECAUSE THIS IS A CW SHOW SADLY,
    AND THE GIRL WHO PLAYS DIANA THINKS OF IT LIKE A FRIENDSHIP NOTHING MORE THAN THAT.

• Anon says:

Anything is certainly possible. If ABC Family can do it, then why not the CW? Plus, Shelley Hennig did state, “We’re open to whatever, but we’re enjoying the shipping. It’s fun.” I just love their chemistry and rivalry with one another. The good vs. the bad. And they can even switch it in later seasons if they wanted to for a different dynamic, because I can certainly see Diana being little bit evil later on.

• Yes says:

Thank you! It’s not going to happen. It’s obvious it’s not but I guess people want to keep asking for.

• Gusar says:

Why would being on CW mean no gay couples? Have all of you forgotten (or maybe you never knew about) Willow and Tara?

6. Stacey says:

Actually the real answer is the circle actually should have about 12 members. The show is based off a book and and in the book casey’s circle is 12 members but the CW decided to bring it down to 6 because they felt they wouldn’t be able to flesh out 12 main cast members fully and not make the show bad.

• Anon says:

I’m okay that they actually cut it down to six, but they still left it open to bring in the other characters from the books later on if they wanted to. Plus, the books didn’t do a great job in really fleshing out all 12 characters other than the primary characters of the Circle, and the show is doing a much better job at that.

7. sarah says:

I think that Melissa is the second Blackwell child

• Russ says:

I think so too, and if its not her it has to be Diana.
      It can’t be Faye cause she wants it too much or Jake and Adam cause Cassie has made out with both and that might be to taboo for the CW.

8. meah says:

Besides Faye,diana is my fave person on the show…i prefer diana and adam,they are so much better than adam and cassie…love her to death

9. A says:

As a book fan, I’d love to see more rivalry between Faye and Dianna and I’d love to see more Dianna and Adam. I’d be so uncomfortable with Fayana if they got together on the show though. Not because it would be girl/girl, but because Faye and Dianna are actually cousins in the book series.

10. natalie says:

Faye & Diana would be epic!

11. shaun says:

Ok,who is Jane Tonkin?It’s Phoebe Tonkin as Faye….

12. Hannah says:

Cassie and Jake!!

13. R. says:

Yeah! Totally agreed, i hate Adam as well, he’s soooo boring and annoying! Cassie and Jake!!