American Idol: Who Was Your Favorite From the St. Louis Auditions? Take Our Poll!

“Whatever you’ve got, you know you’ve got it, right?” Steven Tyler asked a group of wide-eyed hopefuls awaiting their turn at American Idol‘s Season 11 St. Louis auditions. “You watch Idol. So come out and go, ‘Booyah’!”

And interestingly enough, Uncle Nigel & Co. seemed to heed the Aerosmith frontman’s advice. The telecast kicked off with some footage of Season 4 champ Carrie Underwood beginning a road trip to St. Louis for her own Idol tryout back in the day — a stark reminder that the granddaddy of reality competition series has one clear edge over its competitors: A proven track record in churning out successful radio artists.

That said, if Team Idol was indeed using every weapon in its arsenal, how come we only saw five Golden Ticket recipients from the 46 St. Louis singers who made the cut? Sure, that weekend wedding singer packed a brassy-knuckled punch, the Italian restaurant waiter was Commercial with a Capital C, and the kid who used music to overcome bullying was magically mellifluous, but surely the show’s editors could’ve cut five minutes of padding to give us 30-second snippets of 10 additional good singers, no?

Anyhow, while I work on a full episode recap that will post Friday morning here at TVLine, I’ll turn things over to you: Who was your favorite from the St. Louis auditions? Sound off in the comments section, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. dj says:

It’s during the audition episodes when I miss Simon most of all. They have been boring with a capital B.

2. I’m not going to be as bold as AI to compare Lauren to Carrie Underwood, but Lauren was really good. I thought the two boys, Johnny and Ethan were good, I wouldn’t say they were as good as they wanted us to believe. I didn’t really enjoy Reis. I think he has a pleasant voice, but nothing huge or spectacular, definitely nothing to cry about like Steven said his voice made do.

Overall these audition rounds were decent. I think there was some really great talent out there, and I can’t wait to see how it all shakes out.

3. tuppy says:

I was lukewarm coming into this week, but between Brittany Zika, Johnny Keyser, and Lauren Gray I’m finally really excited about a few people this year! That said, yeah, we definitely could have seen many more golden ticket earners tonight.

4. raftrap says:

I liked Johnny, Ethan and Lauren, and I have only three words to say today “Shut up Randy”…and thank you.

5. Christina says:

Thank gosh this boring round of auditions has come to an end. Nothing really got me overly excited from all of the auditions. Though I did like Johnny tonight, and I was happy to see Baylie Brown return. Other than that nada. I’m praying that this doesn’t turn into another season 9.
    Getting back to tonight though, I loved the Carrie Underwood footage that kicked off the show. And has the “my x-husband held me back” become the new go to sob story? I think I’ve heard that 5 times in the past year.

6. Rebecca says:

It was tough choosing between Johnny Keyser and Lauren Gray, but I think I liked Johnny’s voice just a little bit more. Both were the best of the night though.

7. Auds says:

Johnny was the first person out of all the auditions shown that actually even remotely impressed me & Reis was the first (and only) person that I might actually listen to in real life. As for Lauren, I did NOT understand what anyone saw in her. She was horrible! Loud & scratchy. I’m absolutely dumbfounded with the people they are picking. The only thing I can think is that the judges are sitting around for SO long that all the horrible singers are making the average singers look like they’re great. Yuck. The show is def the worst EVER this season.

• Volcfom says:

I completely agree about Lauren. I didn’t get it at all, but hopefully another song (not Adele) will suit her better.

8. Veronica says:

Boo! Everyone this season is boring. The only stand-out has been Phillip Phillips, the WGWG who will win unless someone else this season stands out. We might find ourselves a surprise winner since they haven’t even shown half of the Top 24- maybe in Hollywood Week?
    It’s just that there haven’t been any auditions that have made we want to go back and look them up again, besides PP.

9. Tim says:

Waiting for the inevitable “this is the best season for talent ever” line from Randy. I want to see if he can still do it with a straight face.

10. jake says:

Ethan was superb — lauren, really, i thought she was terrible to not that great….

11. Cy says:

Wow, SO many good people tonight! Loved Johnny, Rachelle Lamb, Ethan Jones, Lauren Gray and even that Reis kid had potential. That handy montage at the end of the ep reminded me of some cool ppl from past eps too. I’m really getting excited about this season now!

12. Pat says:

As a huge pixies fan I’m not complaining but why the hell did they play “Where is my Mind” over Carrie Underwood’s opening piece? Are they trying to offend one of their biggest stars?

13. AmericanIdolit says:

I really wish they could have ended Jacob Lusk’s career as quickly as they did the hotel auditor (Mark).

14. AmericanIdolit says:

Anyone else think that Johnny looks like Kevin Alejandro (Jesus in True Blood)?

15. aravis says:

I found Randy’s comment to “music is my wife” funny. Johnny looked like he was wearing eyeshadow (not that I think he did). Liked Ethan and don’t care for Lauren.
    I really wish they’d show more good auditions. MJ’s blog says 8 audition shows but where’s the next city?

16. aravis says:

I love the cranky cabbie.
    Most successful road auditions huh?
    Ha, just got to the end of the show, it’s Hollywood week next, great!

17. db says:

was it me or was there more sappy bs than normal last night.

18. hilda says:

I definitely do not know what they saw in Lauren.
    And, indeed, i dont believe that there is room for her in this program.
    Please have a Lauren in the last year has been much compared to Underwood and is doing very well on country charts.
    You can not think of Grey compare with them!