ABC Family Renews Secret Life, Picks Up New Comedy and Reality Series

ABC Family has renewed The Secret Life of the American Teenager for a fifth season.

The pickup makes the teen drama starring recent Golden Globe nominee Shailene Woodley (The Descendants) the longest-running show in the cabler’s history.

Season 4.5 of Secret Life debuts Monday, March 26 at 8/7c, followed by the Season 3 premiere of Make It or Break It.

ABC Family Ponders New Life for Chloe King

In the name of fresh fare, ABC Family has picked up Beverly Hills Nannies, which is a reality series, and Baby Daddy, a comedy about a guy (yet to be cast) who must raise a baby girl with the help of his brother (90210‘s Derek Theler) and friends (JONAS‘ Chelsea Kane and The Game‘s Tahj Mowry) after his ex leaves the child on his doorstep.

Lastly, Tori Spelling and Tia Mowry have been cast in the 25 Days of Christmas movie The Mistle-Tones.

Comments (22)

• Screw that what about PLL and LG they are the only shows worth watching on that network.

Comment by TheReasonsY – February 2, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PLL has already been renewed for Season 3. Unfortunately there has been no mention of LG yet, HOWEVER. From what I am seeing it’s getting stellar ratings following PLL, so I wouldn’t be surprised if LG is renewed and paired up with PLL again.

Comment by Ed – February 2, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any updates on their other pilots “Bunheads” or “Intercept”? They legitimately sounded interesting and then there’s Amy Palladino’s involvement being there and all.

Comment by evab – February 2, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The press release states that this announcement is “the first portion” of ABC Family’s programming slate. There will be more to come. I do hope that “Intercept” is still in contention. It sounds like a great concept, and you can never go wrong with the talented Danielle Panabaker.

Comment by Lambsilencer – February 2, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And what about Jane by Design? :( Hoped it get a back up order!

Comment by Aline – February 2, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That show lacks so much, I was bored to death after the first two episodes. The rest of the Family channel shows are so much better!

Comment by Chrissy – February 2, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha, the girl who plays Jane looks like a pig. I LOVEEE TLG and PLL. I watch Secret Life but it’s so bad.

Comment by lorna – February 2, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Derek Theler is also starring in “Baby Daddy”. He is the one I’m excited to see

Comment by Angela – February 2, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Derek Theler is the one to watch – really hot new star!!

Comment by Cindy – February 2, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Make it or Break it has a great third season! I’d love to see more, but I could also understand if they end it at the Olympics. But if they do, I want a spectacular final season!

Comment by Carla – February 2, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t be surprised if it doesn’t go on longer after this new pickup or if they get a new cast. Shailene is too talented for that crap show!

Comment by Samantha – February 2, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shouldn’t Secret Life be cancelled do to the lead actress’s raising film career?

Comment by Tay – February 2, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. It should be cancelled because it is abysmal. Seriously, I pity Woodley after seeing her in The Descendants.

Comment by Em – February 2, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i doubt Shailene returns

Comment by ggny – February 2, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She will return, she already said so in interview, she talked about her contract again for two years..anyway while filming this show she will stimm have time to make good movies..but i don’t mind Secret Life, yeah it is bad on so many levels but it is also funny, and fun to watch..maybe in a so bad it’s good kind of way, moreover Amy/Ricky are cute and have great chemistry for a teen soap couple, can’t wait to watch their story continue..

Comment by Sam – February 10, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of this pilot sound an awful lot like raising home.

Comment by Amely – February 2, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how Secret Life keeps getting renewed. I’ve stopped watching it on season 3, I think. Has it gotten any better? I miss Ashley, and only Ashley.

Comment by Mayra – February 2, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That show is so dumb now I loved it in the beginning bt I rather watch teen mom real drama and mess lol I really hope switched at birth gets another season that show is so good!

Comment by Dot – February 2, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about The Lying Game, is so good.

Comment by paula – February 2, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, Baby Daddy does sound like Raising Hope.

Comment by Jake – February 6, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love secret life! I think it is really good and funny! I haven’t missed a season or episode!! I have to dvr it if I am going to miss it!! I also like switched a birth. Those 2 are my favorite.

Comment by mia – February 13, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and amusing,
    and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is an issue that too few men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    I’m very happy I stumbled across this during my search for something relating to this.

Comment by things to text a girl – August 5, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post