Ratings: Glee Surges With MJ Tribute, Ringer Returns to Smaller Audience

Glee‘s OMJ! moment, airing opposite repeats on CBS and ABC, gave the Fox hit its largest audience since the season premiere — surging 20 percent to just over 9 million total viewers — while its 3.6 demo rating represents a 16-percent bump.

Michael Slezak’s Glee Recap: A Thriller of a Night

In turn, New Girl, with 7.24 mil and a 3.5, saw gains of 4 percent from its last fresh episode. Fox’s Raising Hope, alas, dipped 6 and 9 percent to 4.7 mil/2.1.

Elsewhere on Tuesday:

* The CW’s 90210 (1.43 mil/0.7) drew a few more eyeballs while holding steady in the demo. Ringer returned from its long winter break to 1.38 million total viewers, shedding 14 percent of its most recent audience while holding onto its series-low 0.6 demo rating.

* The Biggest Loser was steady with 6 million total viewers and a 2.1.

* ABC’s Celebrity Wife Swap finale (5.6 mil/1.9) slipped 4 and 10 percent.

* An NCIS repeat drew the night’s largest audience (12.9 mil), while Glee netted the best demo.

* In the battle of the 10 o’clock broadcast repeats — because someone will ask — Unforgettable dominated with 7.85 mil and a 1.4.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

1. Marcus says:

Obviously everyone tuned in for Glee to see Blaine get injured. I know it was the high point of the episode for me.

2. MGL says:

Both shows were very good last night, however, too long of a break for Ringer.

3. tvjunkie says:

It’s impressive that NCIS repeat has better numbers than a brand new episode of Castle or Bones has.

4. Katie says:

Poor Ringer, you take a show off for 2 months and people forget about it.

5. Jane says:

Hahaha at Ringer.

6. Steph says:

The only reason Glee had those numbers is because it was Michael Jackson. I know that’s the only reason I watched.

• Pam says:

Same here. I have not watched Glee since season 1. And even last night, I fast-forwarded through a lot of the episode but I guess that still counts as “watching” it.

7. Maxime says:

Are surprise by Ringer !? I listened to all the pre-break episodes. Not A Minute More !!! Worst writing on tv at the moment !

8. Marc says:

It’s amazing to me that the CW managed to shoot itself in the foot on Tuesdays in two ways: 1) Ringer’s extended hiatus made people find something else to watch, hurting its ratings. 2) The network did this to promote Remodelled, a show that has managed to tank on every conceivable level. Seriously, it’s like the network is actively trying to fail at this point. I’m sure things will turn around with all their remakes, reboots and stolen ideas in pilot season though… oh wait, nevermind.

• Katie says:

You think they would of learned their lesson with H8R…instead they just did the same thing expecting a different result.

9. courtney says:

I have never watched Glee and never will…watching a commercial advertisement for it is plenty bad enough. Ringer was just off for too long I like the show and didn’t care if I saw it…

• Veronica says:

Okay for how much everyone loves to hate on glee it sure had a lot of views. I know many many people who HATED Glee but after I made them watch a few episodes they fell in love. I don’t really care if you watch it or not but don’t say how bad it is without giving it a chance. Thanks.

10. Rolfe says:

So sad to hear about Ringer. I predicted that a long break would result in lower ratings. All I care about is that it gets a second season. Hopefully The CW will renew it.

11. kevin says:

RINGER was worth the wait after a two month hiatus. Hate to see the serialized drama get canceled if the ratings doesn’t hold up for the rest of the season.

• Kalie says:

I agree. If the ratings stay that low, The CW only have themselves to blame. The hiatus was way too long and I knew the show would lose viewers.

12. JP says:

Only 9 million people watched glee, wow that show is closed to being canceled.

13. Rochelle says:

Glee’s tribute just made me want to repurchase the actual MJ albums. Very very pale imitations. Also New girl should have a larger audience. Last night’s was hilarious.

14. Montie says:

I would have loved to watch Ringer last night but in my part of the country it was bumped for college basketball. :(

15. Danielle says:

Ringer would have had more ratings if they didn’t take such a long break (you CANNOT do that with a new series) and then they barely advertised the return of the series after the hiatus. I really love this show and would hate to see it go.

16. Jess says:

I watched Glee but thought it was only so-so. The Warbler-New Direction rivalry is so contrite and the guy who plays Sebastian really can’t act (which i guess means his acting skills are about on-par with the rest of the cast). bleh.

Ringer was great! But the writers need to start giving audience bits of info before the confusion and frasturation really set in.

17. Jon says:

As much as I loved Glee and New Girl, for me the funniest laughs of the night were on Raising Hope. It had a couple actual Laugh Out Loud moments.

18. Ed says:

This sucks for Ringer. :( I have hopes that CW will renew it

19. Sergio says:

I love Ringer.. It’s my favorite show right now.. I don’t know why the low ratings..People loves shows like The Big Bang Theory! Really?I find it really stupid, but that’s just my opinion..

20. Dave says:

I know it’s not on here because it’s a cable show but holy crap was Justified good last night. I hope it got excellent ratings.

21. sarah says:

I love Ringer and I enjoy 90210. The CW was stupid to take Ringer off for 2 1/2 months for the stupid Remodelled. I really hope that it will not be the death of Ringer…I want it renewed

22. Teri says:

I love Ringer and missed it on hiatus. I almost missed yesterday’s episode had I not been DVRing all new episodes. Bad move on CW’s part to not do more advertising. To add insult to injury they didn’t even rerun the beginning of the season to refresh our memories.

23. Bad Breaker says:

What were the ratings for Justified and Southland? Both shows are far better than any of the ones mentioned IMO.

24. fernando says:

Poor Ringer, it is a good show but the writing is bad and if they get better writers this show could be really intense and its sad because if I had to choose between Ringer or The Lying Game, Id pick Lying Games which has great writing and is more intense which I thought Ringer would be the better one but I was fooled, Now I am sure that The CW will save Hart of Dixie and let Ringer go, I hope Both shows get saved.

• texmac12 says:

I second your observations. My Tivo is set to record both series. I’m preferring The Lying Game over Ringer now every week. Ringer has turned too dark with the twins each committing murder.

25. Lena says:

Tuned in for Glee because of Michael Jackson. The only real reason why I’ll watch it.

26. Blaine says:

I’m a total Gleek and this weeks episode was AMAZING but I think New Girl was even better. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard in my life!

27. ErixN says:

Well, where I live, the CW doesn’t play episodes of Ringer or 90210 until the following Sunday. I believe they play basketball games instead of actual CW shows. It’s rather annoying.

28. Paul says:

CBS procedurals repeat well because every episode is exactly the same so nobody can tell if it’s a rerun or not. Also, people who watch those shows are usually very simple and entertained mostly by sounds and colors… Not plot.

• Steph says:

Actually no that’s not true. You’re pretty much saying that whoever watches CBS procedurals are stupid. Not every CBS procedural is the same. Maybe if you watched them you would know that. Most people that I know don’t watch shows like NCIS or Criminals Minds for the plot. They watch for the characters. I don’t really care what case they’re working on. I watch to see the characters interact with each other.

29. Dee says:

I thought the Glee episode was pretty meh.
    Not the worst but not really even mediocre.
    I guess the song selection was pretty weak.
    Loved Ringer and am sad to see it doing so poorly in ratings.
    Love Southland as well.