Pilot Scoop: ABC Picks Up Reba McEntire's Country Comedy Plus Identity Theft Sitcom

Get More: News, Pilots

ABC on Wednesday ordered two more comedy pilots, including one twang-tinged offering from Reba McEntire.

McEntire will star in and executive-produce Malibu Country, a multi-camera comedy about a recent divorcée who struggles to keep her kids humble when they move from Nashville to upscale Malibu. Former Reba EP Kevin Abbott will pen the pilot.

Check Out TVLine’s Pilot Season Lingo Guide and Our Always-Updated List of Pilots

The network also picked up Prairie Dogs, a sitcom from That ’70s Show‘s Jackie and Jeff Filgo, which centers on a nerdy guy whose identity is stolen by someone far cooler than he is –  so cool, in fact, that he engages the con man to help boost his actual life.

ABC’s previous pilot orders include a new Marc Cherry soap, a magical cop saga, a crime-drama, a family comedy starring and exec-produced by Judy Greer, a reimagining of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast and a conspiracy theory series.

Comments (16)

• Reba already played a recent divorcee in her last sitcom.

Comment by Steven Leitner – February 1, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes she did. I’m there though for this show. I love her.

Comment by Mark – February 1, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m predicting another big swing toward country as we had in the early 90s. That’s when Garth and the Judds ruled and line dancing was everywhere. Country is popping up all over again [Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum, Scotty McCreery, Blake & Miranda etc.] Saddle up, Baby!

Comment by Toto – February 1, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they’re just moving Reba to California and turning The One with the Fake Monica into an entire television show? Nice to see original ideas aren’t dead.

Comment by Josh – February 1, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Malibu Country is half as funny as Reba was, I’ll be tuning in for sure! Guess we’ll have to wait until the upfronts in May to see what gets picked up!

Comment by Thomas – February 1, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always liked the show Reba and still can’t flip past it if it’s on. Hopefully her new show does well.

Comment by Kristoffer – February 1, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just bring Reba back. I miss it.

Comment by Liz – February 1, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Reba! I am going to tune in for sure to Malibu Country !

Comment by Jessica – February 1, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Reba back on the tv. Despite myself, I really enjoyed her other sitcom (and I am not the target audience)

Comment by pv – February 1, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Reba! I just hope Malibu Country is as good. I think Reba would have been a huge hit on another network than the WB.

Comment by Rolfe – February 1, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is Reba playing the recent divorcée or her mother?

Comment by AB – February 1, 2012 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch Reba’s show if it is picked up. Loved the first one. The only thing is it sounds like Hannah Montana for growups. Country family living in Malibu.

Comment by mandy – February 2, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Reba but this show sounds alot like Reba,been there done that

Comment by sarah – February 2, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • REBA FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVED Reba, and this sounds hilarious as well! This could go very well with Last Man Standing in the fall ABC….

Comment by Pat – February 2, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am so excited!! been a huge fan forever!!!

Comment by mistey – February 23, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When does this come on .. I wanna watch it .. I can not find it anywhere !

Comment by Katie – March 20, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post