Breaking: Showtime Renews Shameless, House of Lies and Californication

Get More: News, Renewals

Showtime is feeling pretty confident about its Sunday lineup: The network has issued early renewals to sophomore drama Shameless, rookie comedy House of Lies (Kristen Bell, FTW!) and the five-year-old Californication.

“These three shows are clearly resonating with audiences as evidenced by their steady growth on Sunday nights,” said the network’s entertainment president David Nevins in a statement. “We are extremely pleased with the creative work being done by the casts, producers and writers — and I so appreciate that each of these series has such a clear and distinctive voice.”

All three shows are on a roll ratings-wise. Shameless has been averaging nearly 5 million weekly viewers, up 30 percent over its Season 1 average. Lies, meanwhile, is on track to be the network’s highest-rated comedy, and Californication is trending up 10 percent compared to Season 4.

Comments (26)

• YAY!!!! Although, as boring as Californication’s become the last two seasons, I’m not as excited about its renewal as I am the other two. Although… I do still love Hank Moody. And Marcy. <3

Comment by Jessica – February 1, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree the first season of “Californication” was GOLD!

Comment by J Jackson – February 1, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think I’m one of the few folks that has really enjoyed every season (3 was a little iffy, I’ll admit although I enjoyed it plenty).

Comment by e. – February 1, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Re comment by e.:
          I was late to come by the series Californication, and watched almost all the episodes in a weeks time. Having them all back to back was awesome and blended well. I enjoyed the whole series up to the end of season 4. Now I have to wait weekly for an episode and it is killing me.
          Love the show immensely…

Comment by Jenobi – February 1, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shameless is such an addicting show! I can’t wait for future seasons. A decade of the series on showtime would sound good to me!!! and Emmy Rossum is sexxyyy!

Comment by John – March 26, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No real surpise here the best three series on Showtime.

Comment by J Jackson – February 1, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did u forget about Dexter and Homeland or something?

Comment by KS – February 1, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um, Homeland.

Comment by Sam – February 1, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Homeland is not only the best series on Showtime, it’s the best series on TV.

Comment by Amber – February 1, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! I Love Shameless and House of Lies, was expecting this news the other day especially since their doing so good in ratings!!

Comment by Jake – February 1, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news! I love House of Lies

Comment by Stacy – February 1, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Love the Gallaghers! Adore James Wolk and Justin Chatwin. What a threesome!

Comment by jasmine – February 1, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to see America still loves crap.

Comment by Eli – February 1, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? What would you suggest as quality? Shameless and Californication are smart, brilliant, and edgy. I can’t speak for House of Lies. Enlighten us, explain, show your work.

Comment by e. – February 1, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless is one of the best shows on tv. House of Lies is growing on me. Californication needs to end. The show has become depressing to watch. Everyone on the show has evolved. Except for Hank. He’s doing the same crap he did in season 1.

Comment by JWB – February 1, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But isn’t that the point? I think that’s the interesting aspect of the show – it illustrates arrested development remarkably well.

Comment by e. – February 1, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know you’re sister sites, but Deadline and TVline using the same image for this article is a tad troubling.

Comment by BRETT – February 1, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Though not nearly as troubling as you knowing they used duplicate art.

Comment by BobSmith007 – February 1, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about EPISODES?! It was renewed for a 2nd season but there’s been no word of it!

Comment by Will – February 1, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless is firing on all cylinders. What a season so far! It definitely deserves its renewal.

Comment by Ben – February 1, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!! House of Lies!

Comment by Mari – February 1, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats to all three shows! Well-deserved pickups to me, especially Californication. Hank Moody and co. are so much fun to watch.

Comment by Justin – February 1, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!! I watch all three shows. Congrats!! House of Lies is my fave right now…

Comment by sladewilson – February 1, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Californication. best TV series ever.Hank is the most compelling character on TV nowdays.

Comment by Junior – February 2, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love House of Lies..Kristen Bell is killin it along with Jean Ralphio, i mean lol..Great cast!

Comment by J – February 3, 2012 01:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless easily best show on T.V. Acting across the board is stellar. Writing is superb. Story lines are compelling and ground breaking. Nothing else like it anywhere on the small screen. Can’t stop watching it

Comment by Eric Zivitz – February 20, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post