Hot Video: Watch Julianne Moore's Game Change-ing Portrayal of Sarah Palin

Julianne Moore most certainly did not go rogue with her portrayal of Sarah Palin in HBO’s Game Change, as is demonstrated in the following full-length trailer for the buzzy political flick.

Based on the memoir of the same name, Game Change (premiering March 10) chronicles the 2008 United States presidential election, most notably the controversial selection by John McCain (Ed Harris) of Palin as his running mate.

Julianne Moore Calls Channeling Sarah Palin in HBO’s Game Change ‘Daunting’

“We have to win this thing,” Moore’s Palin proclaims in one of many less-than-flattering scenes. “I so don’t want to go back to Alaska.”

Press PLAY below for fresh Game Change footage, and then hit the comments with your thoughts on Moore’s portrayal of Palin.

Loading video...
TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Previews, Video

1. John says:

I didn’t know HBO made horror movies…

2. Michael says:

I so don’t want to miss this.

3. Sam says:

THIS. LOOKS. AMAZING. Is this accurate or historical fiction? Because f— if I care, I’ll watch it anyway.

4. Drew says:

Let’s see… The “I can see Russia from my house” moment? Check. Trying on clothes? Check. Crying on the floor because she misses her baby? Check.

So they take an influential female political figure and reduce her to a stupid Barbie doll who is better left barefoot in the kitchen. Awesome.

You know HBO is pissed that she didn’t run for President. They banked everything on her running and now they’re airing something that is not only irrelevant, but looks absurd. Seriously, it looks like a bad (worse?) SNL skit. Moore’s Palin not only doesn’t look or sound like Palin, but doesn’t even seem to be based on the actual person.

It’s a joke. It’s a bunch of ill-informed suits and b-level writers who think that they’re going to educate people about what really went on, when all they’re actually doing is writing a second-hand story that’s based on a book that has been knocked down and tossed aside for quite a while now. Why not just add some raunchy jokes and call it a Hangover sequel, for all of the actual intellectual value it holds?

There’s an audience for a Sarah Palin movie. There’s an interesting story to tell. The problem is that this movie A. alienates the majority of the people who would consider watching and B. decides to avoid the actual story in favor of more of the same played out BS we’ve been listening to for years. I’m sure that the few people who do watch it will feel very smart and slap each other on the back in celebration of how educated they all are… and the rest of the world will be off in the corner telling jokes about those people who couldn’t hold a legitimate political conversation if they were paid to.

Yawn.

• Cari says:

Did you actually watch this whole trailer? The “I am not a puppet” moment? The “If I’m single-handedly carrying this campaign, I’m going to do what I want” moment? The cheering at the end? I don’t even LIKE Sarah Palin, and I found myself rooting for her. It’s about a presidential campaign. Not every moment is going to show her in a positive light. But to write if off as ONLY those moments seems awfully premature and doesn’t fall in line with the preview I just watched.

• Drew says:

The problem is, the movie is based on a piece of garbage book which was designed to get its author as much money as possible, rather than tell the truth. So right from the jump, it’s not legit. it was designed as a hit piece against a woman that HBO was sure would run for President.

The preview is filled with all of the cliche moments and talking points while depicting Palin as psychotic rather than portraying her as the take-charge woman that she is. Love her or hate her, you have to admit that she’s good as what she does.

Moore fails to capture the personality of the actual woman, which so many people responded to. Instead, she plays her opinion of that woman, mixed with a bad Tina Fey impersonation.

I dislike Obama. I dislike Romney. I dislike McCain. But if they want to make a movie about them, I’d prefer to have the movie based on facts than just some cartoon image of what people think they might be like.

• Ted says:

Drew, I hate to break it to you, but Sarah Palin was always “a stupid Barbie doll who is better left barefoot in the kitchen.” She is simply portrayed in the movie exactly as she is in real life, you just don’t want to admit that to yourself. Just like you don’t want to admit this movie is going to have a huge audience, because it’s got a great cast and there is an interesting story to tell. Oh sure it might alienate a few people, but Sarah Palins fan base is dwindling down to nothing at this point so that won’t effect the ratings too much.

5. tiggerlad says:

Julianne can see Emmy from her house!

6. Ron says:

I can’t wait to see this movie. I had a very negative opinion about Sarah Palin, but after watching this clip, if the movie is nearly as close to what happened behind the scenes, I actually have a sympathetic view of her now. If she doesn’t know much regarding politics or foreign policy you can’t really blame her. The McCain camp actually used her to try to win the election knowing what they signed on to. To be honest, Obama didn’t know much either, but he was better prepped. I only blame her for accepting a position she knew was way over her head.

• Drew says:

I don’t think that McCain ever actually wanted to win. He wanted the nomination because it was his turn or whatever, just like Bob Dole. He had no intention of winning, otherwise he wouldn’t have basically campaigned for Obama the whole time.

And Palin knows quite a bit about foreign policy. I’m not sure what you’re referencing here, but that whole “I can see Russia” thing was a piece of a heavily edited interview, which made perfect sense when taken in context. Then Tina Fey took it even farther out of context and made it into the catch phrase that it’s become.

If you feel more sympathy for her after this, you’re probably better off just hating her. This movie is fiction. Nothing more.

7. kessa says:

this looks soooooo GOOD. great cast and julianne moore could get some big nominations for this come award season. i wonder how hbo will release it.

8. susela says:

Julianne’s doing a great job here, but she could have used some help from Tina Fey in getting the accent and pitch of the voice better.

9. G. Ash says:

I so hope she takes a nice leisurely walk out on the infamous “bridge to nowhere” forgetting momentarily and thinking she is just going out to say “hello” to her neighbors the Russians; she forgets how short that cursed bridge is…..

10. Kathy says:

The Kardashians and Palins so much alike. TRASH.