Pilot Scoop: CW Orders Three Dramas, Including Soap From J.J. Abrams and One Tree Hill Boss

The CW has ordered three more pilots, including two ambitious time-tripping dramas (one produced by Mark Harmon) and a Maine-based soap from J.J. Abrams and One Tree Hill exec producer Mark Schwahn.

Check Out TVLine’s Pilot Season Lingo Guide and Our Always-Updated List of Pilots

The deets:

Shelter
Logline: Drama set at an historic New England summer resort where the new and returning staff attend to the practical, emotional and often comical needs of the guests while navigating friendships, rivalries and romances of their own.
Executive Producer/Writer: Mark Schwahn
Executive Producers: J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk

The Selection
Logline: Based on the forthcoming series of books by Kiera Cass, The Selection is an epic romance set 300 years in the future which centers on a poor young woman who is chosen by lottery to participate in a competition to become the next queen of a war-torn nation at a crossroads.
Executive Producers/Writers:  Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain

Joey Dakota
Logline: Based on the Israeli format Danny Hollywood. In this romantic-time-travel-musical, a documentary filmmaker travels back in time to the 1990’s where she meets and falls in love with the rock star subject of her film. When she unexpectedly returns to present day, she must find her way back to the past to reunite with her love and prevent his untimely death.
Executive Producers: Mark Harmon, Kim Tannenbaum, Eric Tannenbaum, Martha Haight
Writer: Bert Royal

The CW’s previous pilot orders include The Carrie Diaries and the thriller Cult from Gossip Girl EPs Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, Arrow — a present-day take on DC Comics’ Green Arrow from Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim (Eli Stone) — a loosely based re-telling of the 1980s series Beauty and the Beast, and the hour-long medical dramedy First Cut.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. Iago says:

little hunger games in there huh

2. mare says:

1. The firts sounds nice! Could be a nice and relxing show, depending on the writers and cast!
    2.The selection! Meh, sounds not so great! Again it depends on the cast and writers, but it’s long push! Could imagine Misha Barton as the lead!
    3.sounds just stupid! But surprises are always welcome!

3. Gerald says:

The Selection pilot may not end up looking or feeling anything like The Hunger Games, but there’s enough there in that logline that reminds me of it. Joey Dakota … um, Grunge Glee? Shelter sounds a bit low key for an Abrams drama, but remember Abrams did Felicity for The CW forebear The WB, so this could represent a homecoming of sorts.

4. scooterbeanbag says:

None of these sound appealing at all. With that said, I’ll probably watch Shelter, ha.

5. Ashley says:

I don’t see Joey Dakota lasting and while I dislike Mark Schwahn, that show does sound sorta like something I’d like. The Selection sounds like it could be expensive, depending on how they do the future scenes – so who knows how long that’ll last on The CW. But all I care about is that none of these shows push Nikita to get canceled, which seems likely with the crop of shows they’re interested in developing.

6. spreidy856 says:

If these are picked up for next fall; what does that mean or portend for the current line-up? Which ones are getting the axe?

7. K says:

Joey Dakota just sounds awful…

8. fernando says:

I like Mark and JJ pilot hope we get to see it next fall and i mean it is time for gossip girl to go away and maybe 90210 getting another season to be its final season but maybe make it 13 ep. I hope Hart of Dixie along with Ringer returns

9. Anon says:

The Selection, I really like the sound of that one! It sounds a bit like The Hunger Games and if written and cast right, it could be great! I’ve never heard of read any of the books from this series, but it at least sounds promising.

10. Kate says:

I like the sound of Shelter but neither of the others!

11. Kristen says:

I’ll give Shelter a whirl. I trust Mark Schwahn. And having JJ Abrams as a EP is an added bonus.

12. Lambsilencer says:

Wonder how Mark Harmon got into exec producing “Joey Dakota”.

It sure looks like The CW is ordering a lot of pilots, which might not bode well for struggling shows like “Nikita”… they might really want to find something to replace it with.

13. GK says:

Is it just me or are the CW’s pilots sound more interesting than the other networks!! Looking forward to The Selection which sounds great and since JJ is in its midst, Shelter too. Now, if only Kripke’s Deadman comes to fruition, it’ll be awesome!

14. Dee says:

I think just because pilots are ordered, that does not mean that they will even hit the broadcast waves.

Depending on what the people in charge see and if they like it and see potential, then, they start to order up episodes and try to fit them in their schedules.

It doesn’t bode well for the shows on the bubble, like Ringer, Nikita and Heart of Dixie, heck even Supernatural could be in trouble.

15. Ramanda says:

Another series to read! I loved The Hunger Games!!

16. Marc says:

Wow these all sound absolutely terrible. So much for turning a corner next season, I had hope when Dawn O left but these pilot pick-ups have been awful so far.

17. Justin says:

Shelter sounds decent, though I feel like it’s been done before. Will all just depend on the cast and writing. The Selection is intriguing, though very similar to The Hunger Games, which is obviously why it was probably a draw to them. The third, not a chance.

18. sarah says:

Shelter is the only one I would check out

19. Jackie says:

Shelter sounds very promising! The Selection, mehh…and Joey Dakota sounds horrid.

20. Daniela says:

Terrible!!! If you have pilots like this in works you should stick to your current line up.

21. Freyja says:

They all sound like crap, and here I was thinking Mark was gonna take the CW into a new direction.

22. AT says:

Personally I’d skip The Carrie Diaries, Cult and First Cut. Being from Maine I’d at least be interested in seeing the first episode of Shelter, though the premise doesn’t sound particularly interesting. Joey Dakota sounds strange, but it might turn out to be good so I’ll watch the first episode. But, I’m most interested in seeing The Selection, Arrow and Beauty and the Beast. They sound the most promising.

23. Lauren says:

Joey Dakota sounds interesting….maybe only because 90s music might be played in it lol

24. Meh says:

I want them to renew Nikita (!!!) and Ringer, not start five new shows each year and cancel most! Stick with what does okay on a Friday night CW! Especially since there isn’t really anything like Nikita on, anymore. Covert Affairs is all right, but it’s a midseason show and lacks the cool action sequences and conspiracies.

25. Mick says:

I guess the CW realizes their problem they need a great pilot season. None if their shows are hits and they are stuck in the predicament they were in 2008. TVD is their only quality show and its going to be 4 years old next season. The Secret Circle is crap, quality wise Teen Wolf is better which is sad because MTV does it better than you? ABC Family is putting out some decent pilots and scooping some of their talent Brenda Hampton (though TSLAT is horrible), and Amy Sherman Palladino. Glad to see Greg Berlanti back at the network though he made some great shows i.e Jack and Bobby, and Everwood.

26. Josh says:

The election could be cool if they cast a good lead. Shelter will be horrible as it’s written by the dude who does OTH which is…horrible.

I can’t believe they have so many pilots on their plate….Of course most will stink(the Green Arrow sounds horrible)…so we’ll see. At least they’re aren’t as many “Rich girls behave badly” and “Girl is stuck in a love triangle between two brooding men!”

• nina says:

Yes OTH is so bad written that it was on for 9 seasons and had the strongest fan base that any show out there, so many how many people watch live OTH is and always will be the show that could.

27. Amy says:

Looks like Shelter is going to replace the gap in my tv watching schedule that One Tree Hill currently occupies. Love Mark Schwahn and JJ Abrams.

28. ryanandhobbes says:

If it were April 1st, I would actually think these shows were a joke.

29. Sally says:

I seriously do not understand the hate here. What do you want, more doctor/lawyer/cop dramas? These all sound like they have atypical premises from what ABC and CBS are ordering for next season. I’d check them all out.

30. Laura says:

Well shelter sounds good but i never make my mind up till i see it on my tv you never know where they are going to take it. Until its made. Trust me. shows i thought would be crap and then i watch it and i was hooked
    We will see :)

31. carly says:

The only one that sounds descent is Shelter. Hopefully they will film the show in Wilmington. They need a tv show down there since OTH wrapped up production in November.

32. David says:

Just keep Nikita okay!

33. John says:

I like the idea of JJ getting back to his Felicity roots.

I wonder what the hidden sic-fi element of this one will be?

34. Ing says:

Sooo…anyone else notice the EXTREME resemblance between this new “Shelter” pilot with ohh…DAWSON’S CREEK?? What the hell Mark Schwahn? First One Tree Hill is shot in the same exact location, and now you are basically doing a remake of the show? Don’t get me wrong, I love Mark Schwahn, and loved OTH until Peyton and Luke left (and I stopped watching) but this is just ridiculous. GET NEW IDEAS! Stop recycling old ones!! On the flip side though, I LOVED Dawson’s Creek, so perhaps this is what the CW needs to bring back in an audience since all the shows they have on now are just plain ridiculous and dumb…

• CG says:

Yeah so what that both “Dawson’s Creek” & “One Tree Hill” were both filmed in Wilmington. It’s no different than “Friends” shooting seasons 2-10 at the same stage were they used to shoot “Full House”.

North Carolina is a great place to film movies, TV shows, commercials and also has a great tax incentive which attracts film studios. :)

35. Jason says:

NAYSAYERS, I know many of you live for nothing other than to tear down ideas. Just remember, a “logline” description of most shows is not indicative of what you’ll see. It’s a broad overview, and usually not compelling.

How about this for Seinfeld: “A comedian and three quirky friends sit around in his apartment and local NYC coffee shop making snarky observations.”

For Friends: “Six twentysomething friends hang out in one apartment or the local NYC coffee shop, navigating life and romance.”

For Grey’s Anatomy: “A hospital staff vacillates between personal and professional lives.”

For House: “An unusually-rude doctor leads a team of young interns in finding cures to unusual cases.”

36. Uh? says:

The House lines sounds more interesting than any of these, got me at “unusually rude doctor,” shelter is the only one i’d like to know more about, could go either way based on more info.

37. No offense to the people think shelter is a rehash of stuff that’s been done. Name me some shows on every network that is original. the only one I can think of is Once upon a time on ABC. The rest of the channels put out the same stuff every year. Boring or not–it’s what works. Besides, yes there are soaps around–But I can’t think of one out right now that surrounds a resort and has to do with people over the age of teens. Ofcourse, you could say revenge, but it’s mostly about the suspense of the revenge scenario but I’m all for a real adult soap. Although i don’t get the comparison to Dawson. what because there’s water around them–there’s lots of shows that take place around the water, doesn’t mean there dawson. Besides, by the summary it reminded me more of a different styled Melrose Place. But I’ll save my official opinion until I see a real trailer because these taglines can be misleading and it’s only meant to get people atleast alittle bit interested. It’s the only show that even looks decent as far as I’m concerned and it’ll work as far as the CW Network because Soaps are there bread and butter and look at what happened with their mature programming–It’s all but official that Ringer will probably be Axed and Nikita probably isn’t far behind it, I don’t even put out much hope for Hart of Dixie. As far as Soap is considered this is a fresh Idea–I’ve never seen a soap taken place at a resort before so it does have possibilities. all of the rest just sound lame; almost like their trying too hard to find a hit and failing. I would’ve snagged the JJ Abbrams/Kripke show,too as seeing there’s lots of supernatural fans and people Love JJ Abbrams and scifi is in. between those two shows I could see something happening–but with just what CW Gives you–this show is the only one I could see succeeding because the others sound way too stupid. and yes, so sick of reboots.