SNL: Jonah Hill to Host – and Justin Bieber, Too? Plus: Which Cast Member Has Abruptly Left?

Get More: Casting News, News

Jonah Hill SNL HostOscar nominee Jonah Hill (Moneyball) is set to host NBC’s Saturday Night Live for the second time in his career, while teen hearthtob Justin Bieber is poised to make hus debut lording over Studio 8H.

Hill, who also has 21 Jump Street (which will probably not be Oscar-nominated) hitting theaters soon, will deliver his SNL encore on March 10, EW.com reports. He first served as host in March 2008.

Bieber, meanwhile, was among the names Alec Baldwin dropped as an upcoming host during a Here’s the Thing podcast conversation with SNL boss Lorne Michaels. Bieber performed as the show’s musical guest in April 2010.

NBC has yet to officially confirm either of the bookings.

In other SNL news: On the way out of Studio 8H is Paul Brittain, who has been a featured player for a season-and-a-half. Per EW.com, the actor has “amicably” parted ways with the long-running sketch series, effectively immediately, to “pursue other projects.” Brittain’s SNL characters include Lord Cecil Wyndemere and “Sex” Ed Vincent.

Comments (18)

• Aww… I liked Paul Brittain, and thought he complimented the cast very well.

And what do you mean 21 Jump Street has about as much chance at an Oscar nod as I have of creating a comment without an overused reference?

Comment by Winnie – January 31, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you ever heard of 21 Jump Street before? Do you not remember the original show from the mid-late 80′s? That was an excellent show.

This new/remake/re-imagining of that great show is a COMEDY! It is nothing more than an abortion of the original. This is why the author of the article said “which will probably not be Oscar-nominated” because of how crappy this film will be.

85% of the people who go see this movie will have no clue about the original weekly drama this crapfest was based off of.

Comment by Keith – January 31, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I own the DVDs of the original series, and used to watch it when I was younger. I’m also aware that Jonah Hill from day 1 planned to write the script as a comedy. I have no plans to see it in the theater, but there are very few mainstream movies I would turn down viewing on DVD/legally streaming for free. Maybe it will end up in the bargain bin next to Godzilla and Starsky & Hutch, or maybe people who go see it will actually enjoy it and avoid ending up having to make an appointment to see a combination analyst/therapist…an analrapist, if you will. I admire your passion, so I’ll let you decide if you want to post a follow-up comment, since you cannot “abort” the original.

Now, a question for you, fair Keith: have you ever heard of sarcasm?

Comment by Winnie – January 31, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s hard to read sarcasm without the tags :P

I don’t see how Jonah hill is even remotely funny.

Plus I can’t believe Stephen J Cannell let this happen to one of his children…even if he (well his estate now since his passing) gets paid for having his name attached as exec producer…oh wait..that happened with the crappy A-Team movie as well.

Hell, let’s just turn all of Cannell’s great action/drama shows into comedies: Renegade, Hunter, The Rockford Files and the list could go on.

Comment by Keith – January 31, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh wow a rapist joke how funny and original
          But I guess it’s the internet so you feel free to pretend to be both of those all you like.

Comment by Jacob – February 1, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah! Isn’t there an Oscar for Most Makeup? Because, if the trailer is any indication, there’s more pancake on those faces than in any movie in the history of ever!

Comment by KevyB – February 1, 2012 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss Paul as I was starting to really like him, even though he wasn’t give much air time. I’m surprised Jay Pharoah has stayed since it seems they go out of their way not to use him in episodes, but I think he’s terrific when he gets a rare chance to shine!

Comment by Andrew – January 31, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t really agree. I think Jay can be funny, but basically all he ever does is his 4-5 impressions. They’ve had much better impressionists before (they have one in Hader now) and most of them have much better range.

Comment by Meh – January 31, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jonah Hill is fine with me. But Justin Beaver HECK NO!.

Comment by Tay – January 31, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks the gods for no more Lord Wyndemere. If only they could give all Kristen Wiig’s characters the ax. I like Kristen Wiig but can’t stand any of her characters.

Comment by Velvet – January 31, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping it’d be Fred Armissen.

Comment by Jodi – January 31, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo, I love Paul! I thought he had really been doing a nice job lately. Too bad…

Comment by Brandy – January 31, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stunned about Paul Brittain’s exit the same thing it happens to Jeff Richards when he got canned during Season 29 back in 2004.

Comment by kevin – January 31, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am disappointed to hear Paul is leaving. I thought he was a strong up-and-comer in the SNL group.

Comment by Luminosity – January 31, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry to see Paul Brittain go. Just glad it wasn’t Taran Killam.

Comment by John Berggren – January 31, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittain wasn’t really given a chance to do much. SNL should’ve concentrated less on tired old sketches featuring Kristen Wiig and more on the up and coming cast and new characters.

Comment by Jon – January 31, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s to bad about Paul…I really enjoyed him and always thought they never gave him a chance. He was always just in the background. But hey…there are a lot of SNL cast members that have left or been let go after a season or two that have gone on to do some great stuff…hopefully he’ll land on his feet and do some great stuff!

Comment by Jeff – January 31, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But Wiig THINKS she’s funny. And that’s all that matters. Her idea of comedy is characters that talk fast while she makes funny faces. She picked up the “everything I do is funny” crown from Amy Poehler when Amy left and Wiig hasn’t dropped it since. I’m hoping she’ll be in another popular low-brow film, that way she’ll leave to “concentrate” on her film career and I won’t have to be subjected to her on SNL anymore.

Comment by DJ Rogue – January 31, 2012 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post