HBO Renews Luck For Second Season Despite Lackluster Premiere Ratings

Get More: News, Renewals

HBO is betting big on Luck, renewing the Dustin Hoffman drama for a second season just two days after the Season 1 premiere drew lackluster ratings.

Despite Sunday’s opener attracting just over 1 million viewers in its initial 9 pm airing, the cabler announced Tuesday that it has ordered a 10-episode second season of the David Milch/Michael Mann-produced horse racing yarn to air in January 2013.

“We couldn’t be more thrilled with the critical response to this beautiful piece of work,” said HBO’s top programmer, Michael Lombardo, “and we are very excited about where David and Michael plan to take these incredible characters.”

Tags: ,

Comments (13)

• Not surprised. The critics liked it and that’s good enough for HBO to give it an second season.

Comment by tvcon – January 31, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really like the show. Plots are getting better, the acting is top notch, the characters are believable. The show needed better PR to get a wider audience to start with. I suer hope the show continues and viewership goes up!

Comment by Rosario Caputo – March 26, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • tried so hard to get into this, but i found the pilot to be a bit boring. the cinematography was excellent, though. i’ll probably give it few more episodes.

Comment by Hm – January 31, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no interest in any show about horse racing.

Comment by Velvet – January 31, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yet you are named after National Velvet. How ironic. Try not to be so close-minded, pony girl!

Comment by Gina – January 31, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We had the HBO free preview this weekend and I recorded Luck to see how it was and to determine it’s worthiness as far (re)subscribing to HBO. I wanted to like it but just couldn’t. We turned it off and deleted it about 1/3 of the way in. Too slow and hardly understandable.

Comment by EDH Woman – January 31, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HBO is in trouble and had no other choice but to renew , ” Luck ” for a second season. It got critical response from critics but you’ve got to watch people watching the show. Like I have said before the price for HBO is killing subscribers from signing up.

Comment by Rjrtist – January 31, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Renewing shows after 1 episode is ridiculous!!Gotta see if there’s any drop off.Can judge after 3.

Comment by shaun – January 31, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God that was painful to watch…..especially with such a great cast…..To a person who loves horse racing the show was a joke…..and who else would watch it? So many bloopers/errors it was inexcusable

Comment by Rob – February 1, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more, plus I am not a horse racing fan.

Tedious dialogue, boring plot, the worst HBO production I have ever viewed.

Comment by major tom – February 6, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also wanted to like this show but couldn’t. I’m sure the acting is top grade, but I honestly just couldn’t follow the storyline. I love Dustin H and watched for him, but I think that other shows, even ones with complex storylines, have done a much better job of drawing me in. I love HBO shows and will be really sorry if they start failing.

Comment by MusicFan – February 1, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Turned it off when they put down the horse. Adios Luck, you SUCK!

Comment by Ray – February 1, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t be to quick to judge. Recorded it watched a couple times to understand each character. There’s a lot there and each character will grow threw the season, milch has a lot to offer, don’t miss out!

Comment by brian – February 1, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post