HBO Renews Luck For Second Season Despite Lackluster Premiere Ratings

HBO is betting big on Luck, renewing the Dustin Hoffman drama for a second season just two days after the Season 1 premiere drew lackluster ratings.

Despite Sunday’s opener attracting just over 1 million viewers in its initial 9 pm airing, the cabler announced Tuesday that it has ordered a 10-episode second season of the David Milch/Michael Mann-produced horse racing yarn to air in January 2013.

“We couldn’t be more thrilled with the critical response to this beautiful piece of work,” said HBO’s top programmer, Michael Lombardo, “and we are very excited about where David and Michael plan to take these incredible characters.”

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals

1. tvcon says:

Not surprised. The critics liked it and that’s good enough for HBO to give it an second season.

• Rosario Caputo says:

Really like the show. Plots are getting better, the acting is top notch, the characters are believable. The show needed better PR to get a wider audience to start with. I suer hope the show continues and viewership goes up!

2. Hm says:

tried so hard to get into this, but i found the pilot to be a bit boring. the cinematography was excellent, though. i’ll probably give it few more episodes.

3. Velvet says:

I have no interest in any show about horse racing.

4. EDH Woman says:

We had the HBO free preview this weekend and I recorded Luck to see how it was and to determine it’s worthiness as far (re)subscribing to HBO. I wanted to like it but just couldn’t. We turned it off and deleted it about 1/3 of the way in. Too slow and hardly understandable.

5. Rjrtist says:

HBO is in trouble and had no other choice but to renew , ” Luck ” for a second season. It got critical response from critics but you’ve got to watch people watching the show. Like I have said before the price for HBO is killing subscribers from signing up.

6. shaun says:

Renewing shows after 1 episode is ridiculous!!Gotta see if there’s any drop off.Can judge after 3.

7. Rob says:

God that was painful to watch…..especially with such a great cast…..To a person who loves horse racing the show was a joke…..and who else would watch it? So many bloopers/errors it was inexcusable

• major tom says:

Couldn’t agree more, plus I am not a horse racing fan.

Tedious dialogue, boring plot, the worst HBO production I have ever viewed.

8. MusicFan says:

I also wanted to like this show but couldn’t. I’m sure the acting is top grade, but I honestly just couldn’t follow the storyline. I love Dustin H and watched for him, but I think that other shows, even ones with complex storylines, have done a much better job of drawing me in. I love HBO shows and will be really sorry if they start failing.

9. Ray says:

Turned it off when they put down the horse. Adios Luck, you SUCK!

10. brian says:

Don’t be to quick to judge. Recorded it watched a couple times to understand each character. There’s a lot there and each character will grow threw the season, milch has a lot to offer, don’t miss out!