Exclusive First Look Video: Fringe Goes Astrid-Centric With 'Breathtaking' Episode

Get More: Exclusive, First Look, Video

This Friday, Fringe boldly goes where no episode of the Fox thriller has gone before: inside the mind of Astrid.

Yep, producers are finally giving Walter’s tireless lab assistant (played by the underrated Jasika Nicole) an episode all her own, and word is the long-anticipated hour is out of this freakin’ world.

“I cried like five times when I was reading the script,” confesses an emotional Nicole in the following behind the scenes video. “It would be easy for the writers to say, ‘Oh, there’s an Astrid episode; she solves a case.’ But it’s not that simple. It’s a really lovely story about Astrid [and alt-Astrid] meeting each other.”

Fringe Renewal Update: Will There Be a Season 5?

Nicole’s onscreen boss, John Noble, takes it a step further, heralding the episode “possibly the season’s highlight” and Nicole’s dual performance nothing short of “breathtaking.” (Nicole has said that she takes some cues in playing Alt-Astrid from her sister who lives with Autism.)

For an exclusive first look Friday’s Astrid/alt-Astrid showdown, as well interviews with Joshua Jackson and Anna Torv about their co-star’s long overdue moment in the spotlight, press play below!

Loading video...

Comments (61)

• I’m really excited about this episode. Astrid is so great and I’ve been eagerly anticipating the Astrids to meet since “Over There”

Comment by Andie – January 31, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just from this preview I can tell that this has the potential to be my favorite episode of the season. The way Alt-Astrid says “My mother died of cancer. Did yours die too?” For some reason that really resonated with me. It was very chilling. Cant wait!

Comment by FallonA – January 31, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t even watch the video…I just read your post and got the chills. I cannot wait for this episode!

Comment by JAC – January 31, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww… she’s so cute.

Comment by valezza – January 31, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW! Hearing from the other casts that they too are very excited about this, makes me even more excited. A can’t-miss episode.

Comment by mrflamethunder – January 31, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes it’s lovely how supportive they are of each other.

Comment by panda – January 31, 2012 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! Yes! The ep looked great anyway, but everyone’s excitement and awe is contagious now I’m super excited! Lots of exclaimation marks!

Comment by Tallulah – February 1, 2012 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO. FREAKING. EXCITED.

I may die.

Comment by Donna – January 31, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always thought that she was the most underrated actress on this show – SO glad she gets to spread her wings and be more than Walter’s straight man for a change.

Comment by Laurie – January 31, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather be enjoying the meeting of the Astrid/Alt-Astrid from our timeline, but it looks like it’ll be a great episode.

Comment by John – January 31, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That timeline doesn’t exist anymore. Deal.

Comment by Snapy – January 31, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You don’t have to be so rude, Snapy. There are plenty of Fringe fans that miss the original timeline, myself included. And how do you know the original timeline doesn’t exist any more? The Fringe writers and producers have never said that it no longer exists, so it is possible that the show could go back to it, and I hope for Peter’s sake it does.

Comment by Roxie – February 1, 2012 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Astrid is most like our timeline-Astrid because this season is all about Peter-less timeline which I think Peter didn’t have a huge effect on Astrid(s).

Comment by Brooke – January 31, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow this video is really breathtaking. Jasika wasn’t joking about the how emotionally charged this encounter between Astrid and alt-Astrid is. Can’t wait!

Comment by cher – January 31, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, it really is! That brief snippet of the scene managed to get me a little emotional. Really excited for this episode!

Comment by DL – January 31, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sooooo looking forward to this!

Comment by jesse – January 31, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Astrid so rocks! To get the compliments she did from the likes of John Noble is really saying something in my book. I can’t wait!

I also agree 100% with Joshua about a Nina centric episode. Especially I would love to flashback to her with William Bell and Walter when they were working together. Was there a love triangle there at some point? (at least in one of the universes?)
    There is so much more about Nina we need to know.

Comment by kirads09 – January 31, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So…freakin…excited!!! And Joshua is right! We totally need a Nina espisode, but Nina from our timeline.

Comment by tjj50 – January 31, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FInally!! So excited for this episode!

Comment by Jake – January 31, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with pp, and would rather EVERYTHING be back in our universe.

Can’t wait for Astrid’s day in the sun!

Comment by Debs – January 31, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My baby is going to get her episode!

Comment by br – January 31, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally! Astrid is awesome.

Comment by Velvet – January 31, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love it how the cast has so much respect for each other

Comment by tom – January 31, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy Jasika will finally get her chance to shine as Astrid. Long overdue episode.

And wow — it’s jarring to hear Anna Torv and John Noble speak with their natural accents. It’s amazing how well they conceal their accents in episodes.

Comment by Pattie – January 31, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really exciting! Though, it would be even better if it was the Astrids I actually care about. Still, looks like it could be a great episode.

Comment by Mindy – January 31, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks to be a lovely, lovely episode. I’ve always love Astrid and felt she was such a huge part of the Walter/Olivia/Peter family unit–more so than any other character. I always thought of her as Peter’s little sister if he had one. One of my favorite scenes between P/A was the episode when the crew went inside Olivia’s head to bring her back. Peter and Astrid shared a moment in the office discussing William Bell.

Love the show and LOVE LOVE LOVE that they are finally giving Astrid her due! Thank you Joel and Jeff.

Comment by scully8 – January 31, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m definitely looking forward to this episode for two reasons:
    1. It’s Fringe, enough said!
    2. Astrid (or Astrid’s) gets her moment to shine!

Comment by Justin – January 31, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’m gonna cry a lot. And it looks beautiful. I can already tell it will be one of my favorites of the season, if not the series. I’ve always loved Astrid and in fact AltAstrid is by leaps and bounds my favorite alt character.

Comment by Sarah – January 31, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love how supportive the whole cast seems to be towards each other. a lot of people say they “love astrid” and i’ve never really got that because i’ve never felt like we’ve seen enough of her character to fall in love with her per say. i have no problem with her, but “love” seems like a bit of a stretch. fringe has succeeded on so many levels but fleshing out this character has been on of its shortcomings and i’m really excited for this episode. looks like it was a really well-done and i can’t wait to see it. and seriously, i can’t get over how awesome this whole cast is. these little interviews are always so much fun to watch because they support each other and love the material. that’s so much fun for a fan to see

Comment by josh – January 31, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just by this sneak peak i can totally see it when Anna says that Jasika did a beautiful beautiful beautiful job. This episode is going to be emotionally heavy and i can’t wait for Friday to come. Plus i would love it if we get to have more Broyles,Nina etc. centric episodes.

Comment by panda – January 31, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Of course, I love Fringe to begin with, but this…man. It’s amazing to see how Jasika’s character has evolved. She started out as Asterisk, Astro, Astronomy–whatever Walter could think of at the time–and now, not only does Walter always get her name right, but she gets an episode dedicated to just her and her alternate. Plus, the way she plays Alt-Astrid (Altstrid? Alstrid? There has to be a shorter name for her!) is spot-on. I can only imagine how it must feel to meet basically a clone of yourself, identical in every way, only she’s autistic and you’re not. It’s mind-bending, and considering I teared up a little at just the meeting clip in this video, I can tell the episode will be more emotional than I have time to experience.

Looks amazing. I cannot wait. I usually have trouble on Fridays deciding between Supernatural and Fringe–which to watch live and which to record for later? But this week, I don’t think I’ll have to make that decision. It’s already been made.

Comment by IceMetalPunk – January 31, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!! DEAR GOD PLEASE DON’T LET ME DIE BEFORE I SEE THIS!!!!!!!1

Comment by Oneal W. – January 31, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABout time! I’ve been wondering when they got around to this. I think she’s the giant untapped talent on this show, and it’s about time they gave her more to do than one minute scenes and opportunities to go Walter red licorice!

Comment by Robin S. – January 31, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you…Friday won’t get here soon enough. I am up for a Nina episode. Same thing for a Lincoln episode and an Observer’s episode, maybe finding why he was shot…or did I miss something earlier? I know, MC is on B’Way, but I can hope you can work him in. Actually, an interview with MC might be a good web film. He is so busy with concerts and plays and is still able to appear in each show. How does he manage that trick?

Comment by Upstate John – January 31, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you will definitely see more of the Observers this season! In a few episodes I think

Comment by Donna – January 31, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY, Astrid-centric! She is criminally underused.

Comment by Snapy – January 31, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Jasika getting her due, looking forward to the EP.

Comment by Jeff – January 31, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited! I’m really looking forward to an episode that tells us more about Astrid. Knowing Fringe, I’m sure it’s going to be utterly fantastic.

Comment by Bella – January 31, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joshua Jackson calls her The Littlest Bishop – I agree – she is like Peter’s little sister – I loved the scene last season when Peter was going into the machine and they hugged.

Comment by Donna – January 31, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how Anna Torv reacts and how she supports Jasika Nicole.
    They seem great friends, always exchanging compliments.
    And Anna and Jasika always wanted Olivia and Astrid to have a friendship on Fringe, it would have given Astrid more to do and Olivia a bond, someone to speak to about her inner turmoil.
    And Olivia is the lead character, still very little known about her, her family, her past. The biggest mystery of Fringe.

Comment by DotDot – January 31, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bout damn time!!!! I’m soooo happy for Jasika!!! I’m gonna watch live and DVR it so I can watch it over and over and over….

Comment by sladewilson – January 31, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dot dot, shut up. The episode is about ASTRID and here you go making it all about anna! Enough!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Pleaseshutupdotdot – January 31, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALY an Astrid episode!! :)

Comment by Guid – January 31, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • finally an astrid episode I have been wondering about her from day 1 I am intrigued at the thought of this episode

Comment by Ashley – January 31, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEWWWW So excited, it is going to be amazing :D
    also, on a side note, Was Joshua Jackson wearing a wedding ring at 1:53??? :O :O :O :O :O

Comment by Mel – January 31, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy that Astrid is finally getting her chance to shine!! I can’t wait.

Comment by susela – January 31, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so frakkin’ awesome! We’ve been waiting for Astrid to et something to do other than babysit Walter, and we love alt-Astrid. I cannot wait to see this episode!

Comment by Luis – January 31, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch the show anymore, but I think this is a great idea. Astrid always deserved more screen time. The video made me tear up; she was doing a really good job.

Comment by Danielle H – January 31, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That only took, what, four years?

Comment by Sean C. – January 31, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited! I agree with Joshua, that it would be nice to have some more episodes centered on Astrid, Broyles, and Nina Sharp. The only thing that would make this slightly more exciting would be if the meeting was between the two Astrids in OUR timeline. But I’m looking forward to Friday for sure.

Comment by Cass – January 31, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, we will have the opportunity and pleasure of watching the actress Jasika Nicole, in an episode where her character Astrid, will be the highlight of the story. Jasika is an excellent actress and has been working on Fringe, with the character Astrid, to support the main actors. Now is the time it shine, too, as a reference point of the show Fringe. Go Astrid!

Comment by Zepp – January 31, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy for an Astrid centric epi. So excited for Friday.

Comment by Christine – January 31, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait! I love Astrid!

Comment by AngelMoonGirl – January 31, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • zomg anna torvs thinly veiled jab at Joshua loud mouth Jackson trolololol he’s been single handedly irritating her since season 1.

Comment by gegee – February 1, 2012 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is the dumbest thing i’ve ever read. You trying to start something here, troll?

Comment by mina – February 1, 2012 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward very much to this episode. I agree with Josh Jackson in that we should be seeing more of Astrid, Broyles and Nina in episodes that flesh them out more and give the audience more background on them.

It would be great to see more of that, and I hope it happens. Glad to see that it seems to be a well written episode.

Comment by Anon – February 1, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • let’s hope the ratings will go up again this week.

Comment by CC – February 1, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t been watching Fringe lately, but I will definitely watch any and all Astrid-centric episodes.

Comment by Natasha – February 1, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was about time we get to explore Astrid’s mind!!! i hope it marks a shift in what will be her role in the rest of the season.

Comment by exfromthemeft – February 1, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post