Exclusive

Exclusive First Look Video: Fringe Goes Astrid-Centric With 'Breathtaking' Episode

This Friday, Fringe boldly goes where no episode of the Fox thriller has gone before: inside the mind of Astrid.

Yep, producers are finally giving Walter’s tireless lab assistant (played by the underrated Jasika Nicole) an episode all her own, and word is the long-anticipated hour is out of this freakin’ world.

“I cried like five times when I was reading the script,” confesses an emotional Nicole in the following behind the scenes video. “It would be easy for the writers to say, ‘Oh, there’s an Astrid episode; she solves a case.’ But it’s not that simple. It’s a really lovely story about Astrid [and alt-Astrid] meeting each other.”

Fringe Renewal Update: Will There Be a Season 5?

Nicole’s onscreen boss, John Noble, takes it a step further, heralding the episode “possibly the season’s highlight” and Nicole’s dual performance nothing short of “breathtaking.” (Nicole has said that she takes some cues in playing Alt-Astrid from her sister who lives with Autism.)

For an exclusive first look Friday’s Astrid/alt-Astrid showdown, as well interviews with Joshua Jackson and Anna Torv about their co-star’s long overdue moment in the spotlight, press play below!

Loading video...
TAGS: , , , , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, First Look, Video

1. Andie says:

I’m really excited about this episode. Astrid is so great and I’ve been eagerly anticipating the Astrids to meet since “Over There”

2. FallonA says:

Just from this preview I can tell that this has the potential to be my favorite episode of the season. The way Alt-Astrid says “My mother died of cancer. Did yours die too?” For some reason that really resonated with me. It was very chilling. Cant wait!

3. valezza says:

Awww… she’s so cute.

4. mrflamethunder says:

WOW! Hearing from the other casts that they too are very excited about this, makes me even more excited. A can’t-miss episode.

5. Donna says:

SO. FREAKING. EXCITED.

I may die.

6. Laurie says:

I’ve always thought that she was the most underrated actress on this show – SO glad she gets to spread her wings and be more than Walter’s straight man for a change.

7. John says:

I’d rather be enjoying the meeting of the Astrid/Alt-Astrid from our timeline, but it looks like it’ll be a great episode.

• Snapy says:

That timeline doesn’t exist anymore. Deal.

• Roxie says:

You don’t have to be so rude, Snapy. There are plenty of Fringe fans that miss the original timeline, myself included. And how do you know the original timeline doesn’t exist any more? The Fringe writers and producers have never said that it no longer exists, so it is possible that the show could go back to it, and I hope for Peter’s sake it does.

• Brooke says:

I think Astrid is most like our timeline-Astrid because this season is all about Peter-less timeline which I think Peter didn’t have a huge effect on Astrid(s).

8. cher says:

Wow this video is really breathtaking. Jasika wasn’t joking about the how emotionally charged this encounter between Astrid and alt-Astrid is. Can’t wait!

• DL says:

Yeah, it really is! That brief snippet of the scene managed to get me a little emotional. Really excited for this episode!

9. jesse says:

I’m sooooo looking forward to this!

10. kirads09 says:

Astrid so rocks! To get the compliments she did from the likes of John Noble is really saying something in my book. I can’t wait!

I also agree 100% with Joshua about a Nina centric episode. Especially I would love to flashback to her with William Bell and Walter when they were working together. Was there a love triangle there at some point? (at least in one of the universes?)
    There is so much more about Nina we need to know.

11. tjj50 says:

So…freakin…excited!!! And Joshua is right! We totally need a Nina espisode, but Nina from our timeline.

12. Jake says:

FInally!! So excited for this episode!

13. Debs says:

I agree with pp, and would rather EVERYTHING be back in our universe.

Can’t wait for Astrid’s day in the sun!

14. br says:

My baby is going to get her episode!

15. Velvet says:

Finally! Astrid is awesome.

16. tom says:

i love it how the cast has so much respect for each other

17. Pattie says:

So happy Jasika will finally get her chance to shine as Astrid. Long overdue episode.

And wow — it’s jarring to hear Anna Torv and John Noble speak with their natural accents. It’s amazing how well they conceal their accents in episodes.

18. Mindy says:

This is really exciting! Though, it would be even better if it was the Astrids I actually care about. Still, looks like it could be a great episode.

19. scully8 says:

Looks to be a lovely, lovely episode. I’ve always love Astrid and felt she was such a huge part of the Walter/Olivia/Peter family unit–more so than any other character. I always thought of her as Peter’s little sister if he had one. One of my favorite scenes between P/A was the episode when the crew went inside Olivia’s head to bring her back. Peter and Astrid shared a moment in the office discussing William Bell.

Love the show and LOVE LOVE LOVE that they are finally giving Astrid her due! Thank you Joel and Jeff.

20. Justin says:

I’m definitely looking forward to this episode for two reasons:
    1. It’s Fringe, enough said!
    2. Astrid (or Astrid’s) gets her moment to shine!

21. Sarah says:

I think I’m gonna cry a lot. And it looks beautiful. I can already tell it will be one of my favorites of the season, if not the series. I’ve always loved Astrid and in fact AltAstrid is by leaps and bounds my favorite alt character.

22. josh says:

i love how supportive the whole cast seems to be towards each other. a lot of people say they “love astrid” and i’ve never really got that because i’ve never felt like we’ve seen enough of her character to fall in love with her per say. i have no problem with her, but “love” seems like a bit of a stretch. fringe has succeeded on so many levels but fleshing out this character has been on of its shortcomings and i’m really excited for this episode. looks like it was a really well-done and i can’t wait to see it. and seriously, i can’t get over how awesome this whole cast is. these little interviews are always so much fun to watch because they support each other and love the material. that’s so much fun for a fan to see

23. panda says:

Just by this sneak peak i can totally see it when Anna says that Jasika did a beautiful beautiful beautiful job. This episode is going to be emotionally heavy and i can’t wait for Friday to come. Plus i would love it if we get to have more Broyles,Nina etc. centric episodes.

24. IceMetalPunk says:

Wow. Of course, I love Fringe to begin with, but this…man. It’s amazing to see how Jasika’s character has evolved. She started out as Asterisk, Astro, Astronomy–whatever Walter could think of at the time–and now, not only does Walter always get her name right, but she gets an episode dedicated to just her and her alternate. Plus, the way she plays Alt-Astrid (Altstrid? Alstrid? There has to be a shorter name for her!) is spot-on. I can only imagine how it must feel to meet basically a clone of yourself, identical in every way, only she’s autistic and you’re not. It’s mind-bending, and considering I teared up a little at just the meeting clip in this video, I can tell the episode will be more emotional than I have time to experience.

Looks amazing. I cannot wait. I usually have trouble on Fridays deciding between Supernatural and Fringe–which to watch live and which to record for later? But this week, I don’t think I’ll have to make that decision. It’s already been made.

25. Oneal W. says:

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!! DEAR GOD PLEASE DON’T LET ME DIE BEFORE I SEE THIS!!!!!!!1

26. Robin S. says:

ABout time! I’ve been wondering when they got around to this. I think she’s the giant untapped talent on this show, and it’s about time they gave her more to do than one minute scenes and opportunities to go Walter red licorice!

27. Upstate John says:

Thank you…Friday won’t get here soon enough. I am up for a Nina episode. Same thing for a Lincoln episode and an Observer’s episode, maybe finding why he was shot…or did I miss something earlier? I know, MC is on B’Way, but I can hope you can work him in. Actually, an interview with MC might be a good web film. He is so busy with concerts and plays and is still able to appear in each show. How does he manage that trick?

28. Snapy says:

FINALLY, Astrid-centric! She is criminally underused.

29. Jeff says:

Glad to see Jasika getting her due, looking forward to the EP.

30. Bella says:

I am so excited! I’m really looking forward to an episode that tells us more about Astrid. Knowing Fringe, I’m sure it’s going to be utterly fantastic.

31. Donna says:

Joshua Jackson calls her The Littlest Bishop – I agree – she is like Peter’s little sister – I loved the scene last season when Peter was going into the machine and they hugged.

32. DotDot says:

I love how Anna Torv reacts and how she supports Jasika Nicole.
    They seem great friends, always exchanging compliments.
    And Anna and Jasika always wanted Olivia and Astrid to have a friendship on Fringe, it would have given Astrid more to do and Olivia a bond, someone to speak to about her inner turmoil.
    And Olivia is the lead character, still very little known about her, her family, her past. The biggest mystery of Fringe.

33. sladewilson says:

Bout damn time!!!! I’m soooo happy for Jasika!!! I’m gonna watch live and DVR it so I can watch it over and over and over….

34. Pleaseshutupdotdot says:

Dot dot, shut up. The episode is about ASTRID and here you go making it all about anna! Enough!!!!!!!!!!

35. Guid says:

FINALY an Astrid episode!! :)

36. Ashley says:

finally an astrid episode I have been wondering about her from day 1 I am intrigued at the thought of this episode

37. Mel says:

YEWWWW So excited, it is going to be amazing :D
    also, on a side note, Was Joshua Jackson wearing a wedding ring at 1:53??? :O :O :O :O :O

38. susela says:

I’m so happy that Astrid is finally getting her chance to shine!! I can’t wait.

39. Luis says:

This is so frakkin’ awesome! We’ve been waiting for Astrid to et something to do other than babysit Walter, and we love alt-Astrid. I cannot wait to see this episode!

40. Danielle H says:

I don’t watch the show anymore, but I think this is a great idea. Astrid always deserved more screen time. The video made me tear up; she was doing a really good job.

41. Sean C. says:

That only took, what, four years?

42. Cass says:

Very excited! I agree with Joshua, that it would be nice to have some more episodes centered on Astrid, Broyles, and Nina Sharp. The only thing that would make this slightly more exciting would be if the meeting was between the two Astrids in OUR timeline. But I’m looking forward to Friday for sure.

43. Zepp says:

Finally, we will have the opportunity and pleasure of watching the actress Jasika Nicole, in an episode where her character Astrid, will be the highlight of the story. Jasika is an excellent actress and has been working on Fringe, with the character Astrid, to support the main actors. Now is the time it shine, too, as a reference point of the show Fringe. Go Astrid!

44. Christine says:

I’m so happy for an Astrid centric epi. So excited for Friday.

45. AngelMoonGirl says:

I can’t wait! I love Astrid!

46. gegee says:

zomg anna torvs thinly veiled jab at Joshua loud mouth Jackson trolololol he’s been single handedly irritating her since season 1.

47. Anon says:

Looking forward very much to this episode. I agree with Josh Jackson in that we should be seeing more of Astrid, Broyles and Nina in episodes that flesh them out more and give the audience more background on them.

It would be great to see more of that, and I hope it happens. Glad to see that it seems to be a well written episode.

48. CC says:

let’s hope the ratings will go up again this week.

49. Natasha says:

I haven’t been watching Fringe lately, but I will definitely watch any and all Astrid-centric episodes.

50. exfromthemeft says:

it was about time we get to explore Astrid’s mind!!! i hope it marks a shift in what will be her role in the rest of the season.