Pilot Scoop: ABC Picks Up Judy Greer Comedy

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

ABC is getting in bed with Judy Greer with its pick-up of American Judy, a single-camera comedy pilot which is to star and be executive-produced by the Arrested Development alumna.

Written by Deborah Kaplan and Harry Elfont (Can’t Hardly Wait), and with David Gardner also attached as an executive producer, American Judy stars Greer as a cosmopolitan woman who upon getting married becomes a “fish out of water” in the suburbs, where she has to juggle step-kids, her mother-in-law and her husband’s ex-wife (who also happens to be the town sheriff).

Check Out TVLine’s Pilot Season Lingo Guide and Our Always-Updated List of Pilots

Greer, who is a member of the Archer voice cast, has in recent years starred or guested on sitcoms such as Mad Love, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family.

ABC’s other comedy pilot orders thus far include the Untitled Dan Fogelman Project (in which a family who moves to an upscale New Jersey berg discovers their neighbors are ETs), White Man Van (based on a British series of the same name) and How to Live With Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life (about a newly divorced mother who moves back in with her eccentric folks).

Comments (16)

• I love her. She deserves to be on a show that is successful!

Comment by Sarah – January 31, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that, Sarah. I really enjoyed Miss Guided, so it’ll be nice having Judy back on TV.

Comment by Pattie – January 31, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could not agree more!!! Love her!

Comment by Josh – January 31, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her. Glad to hear this. She’s one of those people I was always like, “she needs to have a show, a successful one.” I enjoyed that show she did a few years ago where she was a guidance counselor. It only lasted for about five episodes but I thought it was hilarious. Hopefully this will stick.

Comment by Justin – January 31, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Single-cam or multi-cam?

Comment by Chmarin – January 31, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i LOVE Judy!!! She’s an amazingly actress and totally hilarious. Kaplan and Elfont? Oh dear. No. Just, well, no. Judy deserves so much more than something from folks who wrote the painful Josie & The Pussycats movie :(

Comment by JJ – January 31, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She totally deserves a success! I hope this works out. Judy Greer is soo funny!

Comment by Mandy – January 31, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved her in Miss Guided. She definitely deserves a hit series!

Comment by Steven – January 31, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I guess we can say hello to THOSE again. Love her, loved Miss Guided, and so glad she’s got another show.

Comment by Nicole – January 31, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Judy! I’m seconding all the comments about her talent and comedic skills. She deserves to be a star of her own shoe.

I hope that she is continuing to work and has positive interactions with other women in the show. We need more of that on television. Women are friends with each other and talk about things other than men. (Stepping off my soapbox now.)

Comment by Cecelia – January 31, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Being the star of your own shoe would be an accomplishment.

Comment by ;) – January 31, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Judy Greer. Miss Guided was also on ABC (I think) and it wasn’t given much of a chance there. I’m really disappointed to read about the premise of her new show. I was excited until I read that. Sorry to say I really don’t want to see her in the ‘burbs juggling step-kids and a most likely nasty ex-wife. Oh well, anything to get her away from the awful Two and a Half Men.

Comment by april-ann – January 31, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The BBC show is called White Van Man, not White Man Van

Comment by Kim – January 31, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “has in recent years starred or guested on sitcoms such as Mad Love, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family.”

Really? NOTHING about Two and a Half Men? I’m guessing she’s going to be written out of the show now, but for shame Matt, for not mentioning one of her current jobs!

Comment by Cameron – January 31, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news about Judy, Matt, but I really came to the article to see if this will affect her role on Archer. I love that show, and she is crazy funny on it- emphasis on crazy.

Comment by Audrey E. – February 1, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Judy Greer. On my tv. Every week. Nothing more needs to be said…I’m in!

Comment by Natalie – February 2, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post