Pilot Scoop: ABC Picks Up Judy Greer Comedy

ABC is getting in bed with Judy Greer with its pick-up of American Judy, a single-camera comedy pilot which is to star and be executive-produced by the Arrested Development alumna.

Written by Deborah Kaplan and Harry Elfont (Can’t Hardly Wait), and with David Gardner also attached as an executive producer, American Judy stars Greer as a cosmopolitan woman who upon getting married becomes a “fish out of water” in the suburbs, where she has to juggle step-kids, her mother-in-law and her husband’s ex-wife (who also happens to be the town sheriff).

Check Out TVLine’s Pilot Season Lingo Guide and Our Always-Updated List of Pilots

Greer, who is a member of the Archer voice cast, has in recent years starred or guested on sitcoms such as Mad Love, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family.

ABC’s other comedy pilot orders thus far include the Untitled Dan Fogelman Project (in which a family who moves to an upscale New Jersey berg discovers their neighbors are ETs), White Man Van (based on a British series of the same name) and How to Live With Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life (about a newly divorced mother who moves back in with her eccentric folks).

1. Sarah says:

I love her. She deserves to be on a show that is successful!

2. Justin says:

Love her. Glad to hear this. She’s one of those people I was always like, “she needs to have a show, a successful one.” I enjoyed that show she did a few years ago where she was a guidance counselor. It only lasted for about five episodes but I thought it was hilarious. Hopefully this will stick.

3. Chmarin says:

Single-cam or multi-cam?

4. JJ says:

i LOVE Judy!!! She’s an amazingly actress and totally hilarious. Kaplan and Elfont? Oh dear. No. Just, well, no. Judy deserves so much more than something from folks who wrote the painful Josie & The Pussycats movie :(

5. Mandy says:

She totally deserves a success! I hope this works out. Judy Greer is soo funny!

6. Steven says:

I loved her in Miss Guided. She definitely deserves a hit series!

7. Nicole says:

Well, I guess we can say hello to THOSE again. Love her, loved Miss Guided, and so glad she’s got another show.

8. Cecelia says:

Love Judy! I’m seconding all the comments about her talent and comedic skills. She deserves to be a star of her own shoe.

I hope that she is continuing to work and has positive interactions with other women in the show. We need more of that on television. Women are friends with each other and talk about things other than men. (Stepping off my soapbox now.)

9. april-ann says:

Love Judy Greer. Miss Guided was also on ABC (I think) and it wasn’t given much of a chance there. I’m really disappointed to read about the premise of her new show. I was excited until I read that. Sorry to say I really don’t want to see her in the ‘burbs juggling step-kids and a most likely nasty ex-wife. Oh well, anything to get her away from the awful Two and a Half Men.

10. Kim says:

The BBC show is called White Van Man, not White Man Van

11. Cameron says:

“has in recent years starred or guested on sitcoms such as Mad Love, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family.”

Really? NOTHING about Two and a Half Men? I’m guessing she’s going to be written out of the show now, but for shame Matt, for not mentioning one of her current jobs!

12. Audrey E. says:

This is great news about Judy, Matt, but I really came to the article to see if this will affect her role on Archer. I love that show, and she is crazy funny on it- emphasis on crazy.

13. Natalie says:

Judy Greer. On my tv. Every week. Nothing more needs to be said…I’m in!