X Factor Shake-Up! Paula Abdul, Nicole Scherzinger and Steve Jones All Out

Jones, out. And Scherzinger, too. And Abdul three!

On the heels of Brit personality Steve Jones announcing that he will not be returning as host of the Stateside adaptation of The X Factor, it’s also been confirmed that Nicole Scherzinger is parting ways with the Fox series as well. And now comes word via TVLine’s sister site Deadline.com that Paula Abdul has also been shown the door.

“I won’t be hosting next season’s X Factor which is a shame, but I can’t complain as I’ve had a great time,” Jones shared on Monday evening via Twitter. “Good luck to everyone on the show.”

Not two hours later, E! Online broke the news, citing a source, that Scherzinger asked off the show where she served as a judge — and that boss man Simon Cowell has “given her his blessing.”

A Fox spokesperson confirms for TVLine both exits; replacements were not immediately named.

Abdul’s departure — which has not yet been confirmed by Fox — comes as the biggest shock, given her close friendship with Cowell and the fact that she escaped the show’s first season relatively unscathed.

Interestingly, Jones are Scherzinger were originally hired as cohosts for Season 1, but when Brit beauty Cheryl Cole, of the original X Factor, didn’t work out as a judge, Scherzinger grabbed her seat at the dais and Jones went solo.

The X Factor was renewed by Fox for a second season in early November, six weeks after its premiere to solid if not monster ratings.

Will you miss Jones and/or Scherzinger? Or did you see these Season 2 changes coming?

1. dan says:

It’s going to seem like another tacky betrayal if he gives Paula the boot, after Cheryl was unceremoniously dumped. But at least Paula is being tossed aside early on.

• Gorm says:

Incorrect. Pauler earned a pink slip after a predictable season of gibberish and histronics. The problem for Cheryl is that she was never given a true chance, the public never got to voice their opinon of her, she was axed on the word of dirtbag FOX executives and the kind of moron that has enough free time in the day to attend test screenings and focus panels.

2. jayz says:

Simon can let everyone go but NOT Paula. That I firmly believe :)

3. Mareesa says:

Haha how they gonna do that when it’s HIS show???? Lol

4. Sher says:

No problem with any of these changes at all. Host was a stiff, Nicole an ongoing sobbing twit who consistently gave the people she mentored the worst songs they could possibly get and Paula? She will show up somewhere. In spite of being horribly overproduced, show managed to give us a winner with an incredible voice, as did it’s copetimg show, The Voice. Both delivered talent way beyond American Idol, no contest there.

5. Mellie says:

Wow, if this is true I might actually watch it.

6. Alli says:

Nicole’s departure I applaud.
    Steve’s departure I understand.
    But Paula? Simon said he would delay filming until her contract was worked out during the auditions. This is his show, and it would shock me if he suddenly had a change of heart about her. They are clearly very good friends.

That being said, if Paula is really out, so am I.

7. Tr says:

Cat deely should get the job!!!!!

8. Chris says:

You people are cluess. The production is part of what makes the x factor franhise

9. David says:

Can we show L.A. Reid the door too? Please??

10. Kate says:

I didn’t like Steve and I detested Nicole but I love Paula and I probably won’t watch the show if she isn’t on it. Simon isn’t as entertaining as he was on Idol and I can’t stand LA Reid. At this point, I’m over X-Factor…

11. Hannah says:

Yay! I’m soo glad to here that the host and Nicole are gonna be gone. The host Steve was so stiff and always interrupted everyone. And Nicole is just incompetent

12. john jones says:

bring in cheryl cole and mariah carey as judges with regis as the host. REGIS! REGIS! REGIS!

• David says:

Regis can’t remember his name without reading it off a cue card. We can do without that antique. And if Mariah Carey is a judge, I won’t be watching. I sincerely doubt she would devote the time needed to be a judge/mentor. I think it is a big mistake to let Paula go. Simon has sadly lost his Idol edge and without Paula, it’s just not going to be the same.

13. gill says:

If its true that Paulas out you know who’s going to replace her – the person Simon Cowell wanted in the role all along – Mariah Carey! She couldnt do season 1 cos she was pregnant, but nothing stopping her now. And the fact that she’s recording new music, this would be the perfect promo for her.

14. J says:

I wonder “if everyone saying they’re glad Nicole’s gone are Rachel Crow fans still bitter she didn’t win. Lol I personally will miss all three. I think Nicole was a good judge and she really wanted to find a winner who was going to be really auccessful. and Steve kinda had to inturrupt the judges sometimes. The show doesn’t last but so long each night

• David says:

Nicole a good judge?? She would take a full minute to collect her thoughts and then essentially say nothing but gibberish. She had to be pushed by Steve more than anyone because she wanted as much face time as possible. She gave her singers the worse songs to sing…songs they obviously could not connect with and never gave them any constructive advice or criticism. I was not a Rachel Crow fan at all, but Nicole’s histrionics after voting Rachel off sealed her fate as well as Rachel’s. Rachel will have a good outcome in the end. Nicole will forever be remembered as a crying idiot.

• Gorm says:

Well said David. I cant comphend these people that are coming out of the woodwork with bland praise of Nicole’s effort. But then I realize that its the same people that idolize Kim Kardassian, to whom vainglorious preening is the hallmark of taste and elegance.

Carry on Nicole fans, carry on.

15. Mary says:

Steve sucks nicole thru off rachel paula just dont know heard she drinks on stage

• chistosa says:

@Mary How is anyone expected to take this post seriously with no punctuation, no grammatical accuracy and a lack of supporting detail. You would benefit from turning off your television, avoiding your computer for awhile and reading a few books. Discuss themes and big picture ideas. Educate yourself. You look pathetic criticizing another with this poorly crafted attempt at a sentence.

16. Dorothy says:

Well, there always the ups and downs in real life. Win or loose!!

17. cheri says:

Oh please no ryan..he’s very annoying!

18. Kirk says:

Bring back Cheryl!

19. Stanislava says:

They could have sacked LA,too while they were at it…

20. Mary says:

I agree, steve is usually brilliant but failed to shine on X Factor and came across as a bit plastic

21. Mubeen says:

So,, wht has left in XFactor after Nicole’s & Steve’s departure..??
    Next season would be surely pitty… :(

22. Ashley says:

Nicole shouldve been out since like the first few episodes. She was so fake in the show. Cheryl Cole was a MUCH better judge. How bout Olly Murs and Caroline Flack?? Haha! Anyone british is good enough for me.

23. John says:

I can not fathom why people are still hating on Nicole and the whole Rachel Crow thing. The general public put Rachel in the bottom in the first place.
    It is the same as when I read stories about Jennifer Hudson, they always mention how Simon voted her off American Idol, even though it was the public.
    Stop the hatred towards Nicole over the tween, when it was the public who denied her winning the show.

24. grace n lasala says:

GOOD!

25. Natalie says:

Dermot o’leary – best x factor host there is!

26. Christina says:

Steve and Nicole being given the axe was blatantly obvious, but Paula is a surprise. She was relatively coherent on the show compared to some of her seasons on Idol. The only mark against her was that her acts went nowhere, but she was also given nothing to work with. No doubt this opens the door for Mariah Carey who Simon has wanted all along on the show. I can’t help but think that this is all a publicity stunt though to drum up interest in a show that people lacked interest in.

27. Danny Bee says:

How about Matthew Kelly as host. H from Steps and Paris Hilton as judges?

28. Anisah says:

To be honest The X Factor has just gone downhill, especially here in the UK. The US version I only watched cause the UK one was utter crap! And because I’m practically in love with Nicole Scherzinger! Now it’s just like Simon Cowell what on earth are you doing?! Oh wait he’s planning on doing a talent show to search for the best DJ or something here in the UK apparantly, hmm good luck with that one!

29. zedd and saffire says:

It was rushed from the word go, what cowell needs is a fix of @zeddandsaffire , the future from his past

30. Stevie Ocean says:

tarc Do You Know Simon Cowell? I do personally he is a genius so people have no idea,and to be a judge is not something you can be taught or learn its a gift and your born with that special insight! Who Am I ? Your Soon Find Out!

31. kateshomesick says:

Good…now get the person of the show that apparently knows nothing about music …at all…BYE N.Y….I mean L.A….

32. John Berggren says:

I understand Steve and Nicole, but if they’ve dumped Paula, that’s a mistake, IMHO. I also feel bad for Steve though, I’ve seen him elsewhere, and he’s a great personality – just completely consumed by that stage.

33. Mandy says:

Thank God Nicole is gone! I had to start recording the shows so I could fast forward through her ridiculous comments and her whiney wishy-washiness when it came time to vote off contestants. Seriously, she had to know the show’s format why did she behave like a big baby every week!

34. Eurydice says:

Great, now they just have to fire the director, the choreographers, the set designers, the music director, the lighting guys, all the camera people, the costume designers, and the guys who produce the behind-the-scenes clips. They can probably keep the caterer.

35. Starr says:

Cat. Deeley.

That is all.

36. blingedup.susan says:

I’m all for letting Steve Jones and Nicole go. I think most of the viewers who watched last season saw that coming.

But Paula? I’d get rid of biased and unfair LA Reid before Paula. I think that one is a mistake.

I would get rid of these things IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

1) Nicole. Check
    2) Steve Jones. Check
    3) LA Reid
    4) The 50+ dancers that swirl around the performers
    5) The strobe lights and laser shows
    6) The loud, overproduced music that drowns out the singer

There. Fixed. But keep Paula!!

37. Melissa says:

Bring Back Cheryl!

38. Tracy says:

I am thrilled to see Steve go. I couldn’t stand him in that role. To me, he was the weak link of the show. I think they should get Meredith Viera!

39. Chris11 says:

The only one that really desrved to get fired was Nicole. Steve Jones tried to do his best and he had to deal with really awkward situations. I just cant understand why Paula got fired. I assume that they wanted a more prestigious judge than her. I wanna know who are going to replace them and i hope that Simon won’t let us down.

40. Jeff Jones says:

So basically it seems you guys all just want a carbon copy of AI. Take out the overblown production & that’s what you’ll get. The theatricality is what sets XF apart from AI & it has become a hallmark here in the UK. Weird, didn’t think we brits would have to give you guys lessons in the fun that can be had by going a bit OTT. That said, I thought the entire show was horrible & I stopped watching after about 3 shows. Nicole was, to paraphrase the immortal Comic Book Guy, “Worst. Judge. Ever”. And as for Simon, I know many of you find his british snide charming & funny, but over here we all just think he’s a dick.

41. Jim says:

Not a big fan of the group catagory it is tough comparing a group to a solo artist even though a lot of solo artist ole from groups! But love the show!

42. matt says:

The 2 new judges to replace Nicole and Paula should be Rachel Crow and Drew lol

43. J says:

Yes, I think Nicole was a good JUDGE. Never said Mentor, thought I think whatever songs she did give her singers, they did s good job. Maybe not as good as the other performers, but they tried their best. As the number of contestants gets lower, it’s gonna get harder to choose between peopleso I understand why Nicole would take long/cry cause no one really deserved to go home. They were all amazing. I honestly feel bad that Nicole took so much heat when she was just trying to ultimately have the best person win.

44. El says:

Your connection is dumb. Not everyone who likes Nicole idolizes Kim K and they are two different people who have nothing to do with each other. Stop trying to be snooty