Pilot Scoop: Fox Orders Comedy Starring Mindy Kaling - Are Her Office Days Numbered?

It looks like The Office may be experiencing additional turnover next season: Fox has ordered a half-hour comedy pilot produced by and starring The Office‘s Mindy Kaling.

The project, which was originally in contention at NBC, finds Kaling playing a Bridget-Jones type OB/GYN trying to navigate both her personal and professional lives.

In addition to writing the pilot, Kaling would serve as an exec producer alongside fellow Office producer Howard Klein.

If the show gets picked up to series, Kaling would exit The Office. And if NBC ends up moving forward with a Rainn Wilson-headlined Dwight spinoff, that means Dunder Mifflin could potentially be down two castmembers heading into the fall.

Perhaps it’s time to lock Catherine Tate into a long-term deal?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News, Scoop

1. a says:

Things are not looking good for The Office…

2. Allie says:

What? No! There’s like no reason for me to watch anymore if both Mindy and Rainn are gone next year.

3. Steven says:

They NEED to finish The Office this season.

4. Kate says:

As much as I love The Office maybe they should just finish with this season!

5. JOJO says:

The Office has already been getting a lot of criticism without Steve Carrell.

6. mara says:

The Office died a long, long time ago :(

7. Donna says:

Who is producing this pilot?

8. PutAforkINit says:

Please, NBC — end THE OFFICE already and release the talent so they can move on to new things.

The show has run it’s course.

THANKS!

9. Mike says:

So this spells bad things for Raising Hope, right? How many half-hour comedies can FOX fit into their schedule?

10. Jake says:

I love her on the Office but she so deserves her own show! Hopefully it gets picked up.

11. Lisa says:

That would be awesome! I would be thrilled to see Mindy in her own show so that I won’t have to watch The Office any longer… :)

12. Bakehshak says:

Mindy Kaling as a lead?! This is awesome and far overdue.

13. Mandy says:

It isn’t the character that Mindy plays that will be missed, it is her writing on the show that will be missed. She has written all the best episodes of the show.
    I look forward to seeing what she can do on her own.

14. Lindsey says:

Further proof that The Office needs to end this season.

15. Ali says:

I agree that Mindy undeniably deserves her own show; she’s amazing. Not quite sold on the Dwight spin-off but will wait and see. Ironically, I’d always thought it was the supporting characters who made the show what it is but the Steve Carrell void has made me realize how integral he always was. I now know it was all in how well they played off of him and his exuberance. Always liked Ed Helms too, but it just seems odd how they’ve altered his character this season. Dwight is not the same without Michael and the Jim/Pam dynamic has long lost its luster. I do continue to watch but almost out of sense of obligation because of how great it once was.

16. Brigette says:

It is difficult enough living in a Michael-less Office. If Kelly Kapor is gone, I will be lost.

17. Mark says:

I love her. This should be amazing. Can’t wait.

18. J says:

Writing skills are definitely sharp. Acting skills not so much. Does she have the likability to carry a show? No idea.

19. Lyla O'Halloran says:

I don’t like Mindy on The Office. I didn’t like Steve Carrell. I like James Spader. I don’t like Gabe… I think it has run its course though. They might be able to eek out one more season.

20. TVGuru says:

The Fox execs and big time marketing team are definitely heading away from the in- your-face comedies centered around a single, kooky idea. The only folks that won’t be laughing this fall are the “other networks”. This looks promising as a possible tandem with new girl. Maybe their new slogan will be “Fox brings the funny”. (copyright :) )

21. laura says:

Not only Rainn Wilson and Mindy Kaling, but also John Krasinski might be on the exiting list too–his contract is up after this year. If he doesn’t return, the show definitely won’t.

22. Taurean says:

The show has been excellent. End it with dignity instead of watching the ratings fall. Mindy is funny but I don’t know if the business b*tch can pull and entire show alone. My dvr will be set!

23. Amber says:

Is she wearing a bump it in this photo?

24. DJ Rogue says:

Guess i’ll be the sole voice of dissension, since I think Kaling is just like Wiig – she thinks she’s funnier than she actually is. Her character Kelly brings absolutely nothing to the Office and I wouldn’t mind seeing her go. Dwight, Jim, Phyllis, Andy, hell, anybody with the exception of Kelly i’d miss.

Well, Ryan can go with her too..