Pilot Scoop: Fox Orders Comedy Starring Mindy Kaling – Are Her Office Days Numbered?

Get More: News, Scoop

It looks like The Office may be experiencing additional turnover next season: Fox has ordered a half-hour comedy pilot produced by and starring The Office‘s Mindy Kaling.

The project, which was originally in contention at NBC, finds Kaling playing a Bridget-Jones type OB/GYN trying to navigate both her personal and professional lives.

In addition to writing the pilot, Kaling would serve as an exec producer alongside fellow Office producer Howard Klein.

If the show gets picked up to series, Kaling would exit The Office. And if NBC ends up moving forward with a Rainn Wilson-headlined Dwight spinoff, that means Dunder Mifflin could potentially be down two castmembers heading into the fall.

Perhaps it’s time to lock Catherine Tate into a long-term deal?

Comments (26)

• Things are not looking good for The Office…

Comment by a – January 30, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, it’s probably going to be canceled this spring. Too bad, when it was good it was very, very good.

Comment by Eliz – January 30, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? No! There’s like no reason for me to watch anymore if both Mindy and Rainn are gone next year.

Comment by Allie – January 30, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They NEED to finish The Office this season.

Comment by Steven – January 30, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love The Office maybe they should just finish with this season!

Comment by Kate – January 30, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Office has already been getting a lot of criticism without Steve Carrell.

Comment by JOJO – January 30, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Office died a long, long time ago :(

Comment by mara – January 30, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is producing this pilot?

Comment by Donna – January 30, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, NBC — end THE OFFICE already and release the talent so they can move on to new things.

The show has run it’s course.

THANKS!

Comment by PutAforkINit – January 30, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So this spells bad things for Raising Hope, right? How many half-hour comedies can FOX fit into their schedule?

Comment by Mike – January 30, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her on the Office but she so deserves her own show! Hopefully it gets picked up.

Comment by Jake – January 30, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That would be awesome! I would be thrilled to see Mindy in her own show so that I won’t have to watch The Office any longer… :)

Comment by Lisa – January 30, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy Kaling as a lead?! This is awesome and far overdue.

Comment by Bakehshak – January 30, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It isn’t the character that Mindy plays that will be missed, it is her writing on the show that will be missed. She has written all the best episodes of the show.
    I look forward to seeing what she can do on her own.

Comment by Mandy – January 30, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Further proof that The Office needs to end this season.

Comment by Lindsey – January 30, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that Mindy undeniably deserves her own show; she’s amazing. Not quite sold on the Dwight spin-off but will wait and see. Ironically, I’d always thought it was the supporting characters who made the show what it is but the Steve Carrell void has made me realize how integral he always was. I now know it was all in how well they played off of him and his exuberance. Always liked Ed Helms too, but it just seems odd how they’ve altered his character this season. Dwight is not the same without Michael and the Jim/Pam dynamic has long lost its luster. I do continue to watch but almost out of sense of obligation because of how great it once was.

Comment by Ali – January 30, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is difficult enough living in a Michael-less Office. If Kelly Kapor is gone, I will be lost.

Comment by Brigette – January 30, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her. This should be amazing. Can’t wait.

Comment by Mark – January 30, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Writing skills are definitely sharp. Acting skills not so much. Does she have the likability to carry a show? No idea.

Comment by J – January 30, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like Mindy on The Office. I didn’t like Steve Carrell. I like James Spader. I don’t like Gabe… I think it has run its course though. They might be able to eek out one more season.

Comment by Lyla O'Halloran – January 30, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Fox execs and big time marketing team are definitely heading away from the in- your-face comedies centered around a single, kooky idea. The only folks that won’t be laughing this fall are the “other networks”. This looks promising as a possible tandem with new girl. Maybe their new slogan will be “Fox brings the funny”. (copyright :) )

Comment by TVGuru – January 30, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not only Rainn Wilson and Mindy Kaling, but also John Krasinski might be on the exiting list too–his contract is up after this year. If he doesn’t return, the show definitely won’t.

Comment by laura – January 30, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show has been excellent. End it with dignity instead of watching the ratings fall. Mindy is funny but I don’t know if the business b*tch can pull and entire show alone. My dvr will be set!

Comment by Taurean – January 31, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is she wearing a bump it in this photo?

Comment by Amber – January 31, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess i’ll be the sole voice of dissension, since I think Kaling is just like Wiig – she thinks she’s funnier than she actually is. Her character Kelly brings absolutely nothing to the Office and I wouldn’t mind seeing her go. Dwight, Jim, Phyllis, Andy, hell, anybody with the exception of Kelly i’d miss.

Well, Ryan can go with her too..

Comment by DJ Rogue – February 1, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post