Shameless Shocker: Cast, Producers Dish on Karen's Big [Spoiler] and Preview What's Next

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

[Warning: If you've yet to watch this week's episode of Shameless, avert your eyes now! If you've yet to watch this week's episode of Shameless, avert your eyes...now! Everyone else, read on...]

On Sunday’s Shameless, Karen dropped a bombshell on her friend-with-benefits Lip: She’s preggers!

Even more surprising, although the oldest Gallagher boy may be a rebel in most aspects of his life – taking the SATs for other kids, selling pot out of an ice cream truck, etc. — this is one area where Lip will attempt to be accountable while “trying to collect the pieces” in the aftermath of Karen’s news, his portrayer Jeremy Allen White tells TVLine.

Emmy Rossum Previews Shameless Season 2: Fiona’s ‘Playing the Field’ and ‘Acting Out’

“He’s trying to be as different from Frank as he possibly can with the idea of fatherhood,” continues White, referring to his onscreen dad played by William H. Macy. “He’s ready to take on any responsibility that might come across his path.”

Of course, there’s the little issue of whether the baby is definitely his. “We don’t know, and Karen doesn’t know [either],” points out exec producer John Wells, adding that the mom-to-be “doesn’t want to actually know.”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Shameless and More!

But if Karen’s telling the truth about her and new fiancé Jody not having slept together yet, who else besides frequent hook-up Lip could be the daddy? “I think there is a third [candidate] that we discover,” teases Wells with a laugh. “She’s been a little promiscuous.” Whatever the paternity outcome, “she doesn’t want to have it with Lip, and she doesn’t want to keep the baby.”

Meanwhile, the baby news will also cause tension at home for the Gallagher brood. In particular, Fiona — who already has to take care of all of her younger siblings — will be “very angry with Lip,” says Emmy Rossum. “Everyone knows Karen is the town bike. And she doesn’t even know if that baby is Lip’s. … That storyline and how that plays out for Lip and Karen will be a big for the season.”

Comments (28)

• This was an incredible episode. Excited to see how this season turns out.

Comment by Anthony Newhall – January 29, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I MISS STEVE

Comment by jess – January 29, 2012 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ^ditto. This season feels a little empty without him :(

Comment by Fido – January 30, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think he comes back next week! That would be awesome.

Comment by Beth – January 30, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes it was an incredible episode, but I really could’ve done without seeing Jodi’s junk in plain view…multiple times. Not a prude, just not what I wanted to see

Comment by Michelle – January 30, 2012 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enough time has passed that the baby couldn’t be Frank’s, right?

Comment by Erin – January 29, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure, but I was questioning could it be Frank’s while reading the post.

Comment by Russ – January 30, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It couldn’t. That was months ago and Karen has a totally falt belly still.

Comment by Octavia – January 30, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just started watching this episode on my DVR (spoilers never bother me). I’ve replayed the scene five tomes now where Fiona gets cold cocked by the wife of her latest lay and then has to run for her life. Best scene in this series to date! Finally, Fiona finds out that hopping from one bed to the next is not all fun and games, especially when you decide even married guys are not off limits. If only the wife of her high school crush could have landed just one good pop with that bat. That would have been priceless!

Comment by Bill – January 29, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one that hates that lip is still crazy about Karen???? Karen sucks and doesn’t seem to even like him… It’s ruining how awesome lips character was because now he is just like a little puppy dog…boo on Karen and lips baby

Comment by Nykip008 – January 29, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!!!!!! I cannot stomach the Karen character and I keep hoping that Lip will find some awesome woman worthy of him. he’s my favorite character on the show and I hate, hate, that he’s in love with a disgusting wretch like Karen.

Comment by Marsha – January 30, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ew, I didn’t think it was still possible for Frank to be Karen’s baby daddy lol… wow I would hope not though. This was a great episode love this show more and more its so crazy

Comment by s – January 29, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say after watching this week episode im loving the shown a lot more but people lets be real karen love lip think about this althought she’s with jodi , if she found out
    that lip was having sexing.any.other women she would be angry and upset. They need to get the lip brother more.

Comment by john – January 29, 2012 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet the baby will be Frank’s…………..EW!!!!!!

Comment by Lynn – January 30, 2012 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when karen’s dad took the cold plunge after the whole frank incident, the ice on the lake was pretty thick. now they’re in the middle of summer, so that’s probably what – 4 or 5 months? if it were frank’s baby, wouldn’t it be a bit obvious she was pregnant by now? i’m sticking with it being lip’s.

Comment by DUH – January 30, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right, but TV logic doesnt always fit the timelines of real life

Comment by Doug – January 30, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show!! I didn’t think that Frank could sink any lower but he proved me wrong when he stopped Butherface from getting her heart WOW! Lip didn’t want Karen that bad until she started seeing that other guy and Fi is turning into Frank. Every episode has something jaw dropping happen it’s just AWESOME.

Comment by Tna – January 30, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this version of Shameless follows any formula of the superior,original British version (I have not watched this remake, but by the recaps, it’s the same), are there really any spoilers?

The original Shameless is in Season 9, on Channel 4 on demand.

Comment by Tragicone – January 30, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wasn’t Mandy the one pregnant by Lip in Shameless UK?
      I watched the UK version until somewhere in the middle of season 6 and I have to say that as a drama I like the US version better. The UK version is more of a comedy for me.

Comment by Bellamber – January 30, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • how can you call something superior if you haven’t even seen the other version to compare it to??

people sometimes…

Comment by DUH – January 30, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was Mandy! Karen ends up with Jamie Macguire. Are the MacGuire’s on the US one yet? Mickey is great I just cannot see how anyone else could play that great character other than Ciaran Griffiths. I think they came in series 3 or 4. I love the UK one so much better I still have no idea why they remade this for US.

Comment by Gigi – January 30, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The US version is really good! I’ve only seen the pilot of the original series and didn’t like it all that much.
      I’m not saying it ain’t good (Skins UK – way superior), I just really like the US version.

Comment by Mayra – January 30, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted Fiona to throw down with Craig’s crazy wife. Although I liked her hiding moment when she realizes she’s Frank. OMG what if Lip knocks up both Karen and Mandy…

Comment by Ms. Chanandler Bong – January 30, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the whole lip and Karen thing!!!! I hope they get married and live happily ever after!!!!!!! (I can dream cnt I) p.s my absolute fav couple <333333

Comment by Morgan – January 31, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin and Veronica hit it out of the park with the “mama bear” scene in their kitchen.

“You’re turning into a mama bear with your little baby Ethel cub.”

Just plain awesome. A genuine scene, for sure.

Comment by Ben – January 31, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brit Morgan (Debbie Pelt in True Blood) as Craig’s wife. Excellent choice!

Comment by Ben – January 31, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I love Shameless! This season has been great so far, although I am missing the hell out of Steve/Jimmy! I am hoping for a good scene between him the cop next door and Fiona about how Lip and Ian really got caught in the stolen car … But that’s a dream. Umm, I really am hoping that Karen is not carrying Lip’s baby. I really wanted Lip to move on from her after the whole Frank thing. I am looking forward to how this will all play out though. I don’t think 12 episodes is nearly enough … let’s at least get 16! How about it showtime??

Comment by Amanda – February 5, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How ’bout this… Maybe Karen is lying trying to get Lip to prove that he actually loves her rather than the apparent jealousy/competition w/ “Chodie”.

Comment by Colin Q – February 6, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post